The Composer's Thread

Justin

• 3 weeks later...

So what's everyone working on lately?

I'm currently wrapping up some work on a short film. Doing some small ensemble recording this week, so that'll be fun! Will have the music ready soon enough. There are some other potential abstract projects/collaborations that I have been brewing up with some soloists, so we'll see how those go.

How about you guys? Grey? Sharky? Karelm? Jilal?

In the meantime, here's something old that resurfaced recently:

Great stuff KK. I'm always impressed by what you share here. Really pristine sound.

I finished up a score a few weeks ago that was rather frustrating to write due to the director being the most inept communicator I've ever met.

I'm therefore gleefully spending the immediate future on my own terms. Revising and polishing a saxophone concerto, writing a song cycle for alto, baritone, and an odd chamber ensemble (using John Donne for some texts, but haven't decided who else yet), and sketching a double string quintet.

I'm currently working on a Star Wars related animation project, which involves writing/adapting lots of sweeping, epic music as well as some quite bombastic action tracks. Quite tough, but also good experience I suppose. 

I have also finished a couple of video game piano arrangements which I hope to record and post soon.

Meanwhile, here's a track I recently finished for a video game project. It is background music supposed to accompany the protagonist as they explore some city alleyways at night-time. The phrasing is a little rough, but the music is essentially complete:

http://picosong.com/Hknu/

After the SW project I hope to write some chamber music, particularly a string quartet. I don't know how I'll get it performed, but I have some ideas which I'd at least like to get down on paper. In addition I would also like to return to composing more for my main instrument, the piano.

14 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

You excel at sequences, KK!

Thanks Alex! I wanted to play with rhythm cycles here a bit. 

14 hours ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

Great stuff KK. I'm always impressed by what you share here. Really pristine sound.

I finished up a score a few weeks ago that was rather frustrating to write due to the director being the most inept communicator I've ever met.

I'm therefore gleefully spending the immediate future on my own terms. Revising and polishing a saxophone concerto, writing a song cycle for alto, baritone, and an odd chamber ensemble (using John Donne for some texts, but haven't decided who else yet), and sketching a double string quintet.

Thanks Grey! Appreciate it :)

And I know the feeling. The score I've been working on now has had to go through a number of rewrites to settle on the tone he was looking for. Not fun.

The song cycle sounds really interesting! If you get anything performed, do share!

4 hours ago, Hawmy said:

I'm working on my portfolio for my application to the school of music at BYU. Also, very impressive KK.

Thanks Hawmy! Got any clips for us to indulge in?

6 hours ago, loert said:

Meanwhile, here's a track I recently finished for a video game project. It is background music supposed to accompany the protagonist as they explore some city alleyways at night-time. The phrasing is a little rough, but the music is essentially complete:

http://picosong.com/Hknu/

After the SW project I hope to write some chamber music, particularly a string quartet. I don't know how I'll get it performed, but I have some ideas which I'd at least like to get down on paper. In addition I would also like to return to composing more for my main instrument, the piano.

That's some fine underscore Ioert!

Alrighty. Nothing here is final, and luckily the portfolio isn't due till Dec. 1st, so I have time to work, but here's what I'm planning on submitting maybe.

Yo-yo_video_song.mid

Yo-yo_video_song.pdf

I already posted a demo of this song, but I added some more stuff to it. Definitely still a work in progress. After the main little introduction, I had a melody, but I really didn't like it so I deleted it. I borrowed some chords for the b section from this song:

but I added a V/III and tried to be creative with it (didn't really work haha)

Guitar Bass Love Song.mp3

Guitar Bass Love Song.pdf

I loosely based this song off of If I Fell by the Beatles. I wanted to write some sort of love song. This piano part is supposed to be a voice, but in the default soundfont that musescore uses, you can barely hear the voice. Also, I didn't write any lyrics, so it wouldn't even matter. I need to add a b section to this song, because I want it to have an AABA form, and I can't just repeat the same thing over and over again

Power Suits.mp4

This is a video that I make with my cousin last summer for fun. It's pretty low quality, but whatever. I quickly wrote a song that I could put in the background because I wanted some practice and this is the result. The song isn't very good, but it's the only thing that I've written in conjunction with video, so I think it would be semi-impressive to show the commercial music staff this. 

This is a fanfare I wrote some time ago:

At times rather embarrassing. The mockup isn't really satisfying either - I should probably rework it. Notice the Shore-esque aleatoricism near the beginning.

Here's something that I've been working on. I can't say too much about the project as it's not out yet; all I can mention is that it's for an animated webseries that I'm independently producing with some friends. It's been an enormous amount of fun, and the best part is the amount of freedom I have as composer. This piece is a suite of all the major themes that make up the score, in a very JW-like way. It's mostly sample library sounds, but I'll be recording some real instruments soon to mix in before it's done. Would love some feedback/constructive criticism.

15 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

Here's something that I've been working on. I can't say too much about the project as it's not out yet; all I can mention is that it's for an animated webseries that I'm independently producing with some friends. It's been an enormous amount of fun, and the best part is the amount of freedom I have as composer. This piece is a suite of all the major themes that make up the score, in a very JW-like way. It's mostly sample library sounds, but I'll be recording some real instruments soon to mix in before it's done. Would love some feedback/constructive criticism.

It sounds good.  The levels are a bit low so could use some compression and better EQ plus mastering.  Some of the repetitive figures like the string ostinatos are a bit too robotic.  Do you have round robin in your samples?  Overall, you could use more mod wheel (assuming your samples support that) obviously you have to work with what you have.  I see you might not need it to sound totally finished if you are having this performed by live players.  Good job though.  I like your Rey cadence. 

1 hour ago, karelm said:

It sounds good.  The levels are a bit low so could use some compression and better EQ plus mastering.  Some of the repetitive figures like the string ostinatos are a bit too robotic.  Do you have round robin in your samples?  Overall, you could use more mod wheel (assuming your samples support that) obviously you have to work with what you have.  I see you might not need it to sound totally finished if you are having this performed by live players.  Good job though.  I like your Rey cadence. 

Great notes, thank you. The string samples are a mix of a few VSTs, all of which use round robin but when I sequenced those parts I flattened the velocity probably a little bit too much so it's not very realistic. Most of the strings will be replaced though so I'm not too fussed. The brass might not be as easy to replace so I'm trying to get that sounding a bit nicer. My mod wheel "playing" is still a bit erratic but good to know I can do more. And great point about the EQ/Master, I haven't looked at that much yet. Glad you like the "Rey" cadence, was definitely in the back of my mind while working on this project!

On 11/3/2016 at 11:17 AM, Jilal said:

Thanks. :)

Yes, 1:52-2:30 is brilliantly exciting (as I believe I've stated before!). 

On 11/1/2016 at 1:33 AM, KK said:

So what's everyone working on lately?

I'm currently wrapping up some work on a short film. Doing some small ensemble recording this week, so that'll be fun! Will have the music ready soon enough. There are some other potential abstract projects/collaborations that I have been brewing up with some soloists, so we'll see how those go.

How about you guys? Grey? Sharky? Karelm? Jilal?

In the meantime, here's something old that resurfaced recently:

Nice! I'm not a music scholar/composer like you all, but it's certainly pleasant to listen to. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1) Transpose and repeat what you just wrote.

2) Worry about new ideas later.

But I think I can actually hear you going into that, at the end!

Better idea, maybe:

1) Modulate up a semitone (quite harmonically neutral)

2) Write a B-section, perhaps based on ideas from the A section, incorporating hints of the latter.

3) Modulate back to the tonic of the A section, using borrowed chords.

• 4 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Has anyone experiences with the EW Composer Cloud? Is it worth getting?

I don't have it but it sounds like a great deal if they let you cancel at any time.  I assume if you cancel the subscription service you can no longer use your software.  EW has a good sound but they are generally targeted at trailers and big sounds.  I hate the Play player because it is not as stable as Kontakt and I've lost a few too many cues over its bugginess that they refused to recognize but maybe it's gotten better.  I think this looks like a very good value if you don't mind the Play platform and can cancel at anytime and are prepared to potentially lose access to the libraries you downloaded with the subscription. 

58 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

I'm very happy with the EDU version, which offers 7 packages for about €14 a month. My subscription entails most of the Hollywood line, but I only really use Hollywood Brass (to complement Berlin Brass) which is magnificent in its own right and definitely beats a lot of similar libraries.

I can't really comment on the entire package, however. @Gistech should be able to provide some advice.

PLAY is annoying when it comes to purging. Kontakt allows you to fully purge a patch and load samples directly from your disk drive(s)/SSD(s), whereas the former doesn't offer that feature. Instead, you're forced to fully load the patch, compose/perform your part and then purge it, similar to Kontakt's set markers feature. This isn't a hindrance if you have a decent amount of RAM (≥32GB), but it remains annoying.

On 01/28/2017 at 11:56 PM, gkgyver said:

Absolutely. The Hollywood Orchestra sets are micced by Shawn Murphy and those instruments sound absolutely fantastic. There's also a ton of ethnic instruments in Ra and Goliath worth having, and Stormdrum 2 and 3 are full of great percussion. In total, it's got over 9,000 instruments worth for a decent monthly price. I'm currently using ComposerCloud X which also grants the close mic position.

Here's a demo of Hollywood Orchestra sets being used to play Lord of the Rings:

On 2/7/2017 at 8:18 PM, Muad'Dib said:

I couldn't sleep last night so I made this

http://picosong.com/rax3/

I should sleep more

Since you are an HP Lovecraft lover, careful about lack of sleep.  Only cosmic insanity will result!  It's best you accept your place in the universe and not try to understand our true place among the old ones. 

7 hours ago, Mathieu Alvado said:

Hello,

here's a score very influenced by Williams that I've composed some years ago :-) Hope you'll enjoy it.

Nice and fun but could use a hint more ethnic instrumentation for a few moments.  Anyway, nice and fun genre writing.

42 minutes ago, karelm said:

Since you are an HP Lovecraft lover, careful about lack of sleep.  Only cosmic insanity will result!  It's best you accept your place in the universe and not try to understand our true place among the old ones. 

This is cyclopean, eldritch music, that makes me feel as though I'm falling into the innermost void where daemon flutes whine and the glibbering chaos Azathoth and his court dance blindly and madly.

I can't quite tell if you guys are mocking me or not, but I appreciate the comments nevertheless -especially Pilgrim's outstadingly poetic post.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

12 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

This is cyclopean, eldritch music, that makes me feel as though I'm falling into the innermost void where daemon flutes whine and the glibbering chaos Azathoth and his court dance blindly and madly.

The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind.  HAHAHA I'm going mad with insanity from these incessant dreams of monstrous doom that overtook the elder world! The transferred minds would migrate through time and space to another stopping place in the bodies of the bulbous vegetable entities of Mercury where there would be races after them, clinging pathetically to the cold planet and burrowing to its horror filled core, before the utter end.  The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. 

On 31. Januar 2017 at 0:48 PM, Gistech said:

Absolutely. The Hollywood Orchestra sets are micced by Shawn Murphy and those instruments sound absolutely fantastic. There's also a ton of ethnic instruments in Ra and Goliath worth having, and Stormdrum 2 and 3 are full of great percussion. In total, it's got over 9,000 instruments worth for a decent monthly price. I'm currently using ComposerCloud X which also grants the close mic position.

Here's a demo of Hollywood Orchestra sets being used to play Lord of the Rings:

Well, I have the Complete composer Collection, which includes RA, Goliath, and a Version of Stormdrum, along with older brass, string and percussion libraries.

I'm wondering if it's still worth it, if the Hollywood line is such a vast improvement over the old libraries.

On 13/02/2017 at 8:19 PM, KK said:

Nicely done. Definitely a good dose of Williams in there, but it's written and conceived well.

On 14/02/2017 at 3:19 AM, karelm said:

Nice and fun but could use a hint more ethnic instrumentation for a few moments.  Anyway, nice and fun genre writing.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Was working on another short film around the holiday season, and finally got the green-light to post some of the music. Got to work with some live musicians this time (strings/choir). Spent some time playing with different colours, textures and writing to figure out the right tone (lots of rewrites involved!). 

As always, would love to hear your thoughts!

Very nice work! I found some of the harmonic clashes a bit distracting though (like 0:37, or some of the strings from 2:19). The piano part at 3:58-4:01 is a bit awkward too! But I liked the bits from 3:17, 5:50 and 7:23. Lovely textures! :up:

Thanks LampPost! There were some parts where I was trying to channel Messaien, so that was probably the thought behind some of the clashes you mentioned. Sometimes clumsily done or mixed, I agree :P 

KK, how wonderful that you had the chance to work with real musicians!  This sounds fantastic.  First time with live players?  Do you feel you learned anything significant?  Did you conduct?

Thanks Grey! This was my first time working and recording with live musicians in this capacity! Communication, I think, was pretty much the big lesson from the whole affair. Not just in the score, but with the players themselves.

I didn't get to conduct, sadly, no. For the choir, we couldn't get any local choirs for the budget or timeline we needed, so we had to turn to one in Utah (you may have heard of it, One Voice Children's Choir). So I ended up skyping in, which was tricky, especially when it came to the choral clusters, (something they weren't familiar doing to begin with) and trying to get just the right sound I was looking for. And the soloists were recorded on their own.

The quartet session was fun, and easier to work with. There was some time to just play around with a few things which gave me some room to create some interesting textures later on (like 6:40 in the sweet).

The whole scoring process took quite a while. Lots of material was written, lots of rewrites involved. There was music required before production, and ideas were often changing (especially due to the shoestring budget). But in the end, it turned out quite well. Hopefully future projects can afford that luxury again!

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:24 AM, gkgyver said:

Well, I have the Complete composer Collection, which includes RA, Goliath, and a Version of Stormdrum, along with older brass, string and percussion libraries.

I'm wondering if it's still worth it, if the Hollywood line is such a vast improvement over the old libraries.

The Hollywood series is at least 1000% better. It makes EWQLSO sound like shit. The best part is that it has articulations, while SO does not. It has a much richer, and more realistic sound, while SO tends to have a 'synthy' quality.

On 3/23/2017 at 1:55 PM, KK said:

Was working on another short film around the holiday season, and finally got the green-light to post some of the music. Got to work with some live musicians this time (strings/choir). Spent some time playing with different colours, textures and writing to figure out the right tone (lots of rewrites involved!). 

As always, would love to hear your thoughts!  @karelm @Sharky @Bartokus Novus @BloodBoal?

Very beautiful sonorities.  I really enjoyed it and it had some unexpected harmonic twists.   Good luck having the opportunity to record live again.  This will go a long way in helping you get bigger budgets.  Remember, many composers throw their entire fee into a recording when getting started because it’s an investment in their ability to get more work and higher budgets.  Even with very modest budgets you can get at least one or two live players who have their own studios and can record remotely.  At 1:39, I really could imagine a somewhat static high violin counter line there but that is speaking from a purely musical perspective.  Obviously, this is a decision for you and your boss.  Did you do the mix as well?  Good job making the choir sound behind the strings and good separation.  At 3:39 that sequence reminds me somewhat of Goldenthal, one of my favorites so that it’s a very good comparison.  There were a few places (like at 3:57) where the click might have forced a strict rhythm that didn’t feel natural to the phrase before the melodic repetition.  Did you have any difficulty with dynamics?  Sometimes when in a crunch, musicians play somewhat in the middle volume (playing it safe) and this really feels like it could have benefited from more dynamic contrast.   That or there is too much compression.  For example, you have a wonderful build up to a climax at 5:18 but part of the build is lost since there isn’t enough dynamic contrast before.   My advice to you is try to work with the click a bit more to make it feel less static and more lifelike next time you get to record live players.  Overall, a very fine work you must be very proud of.  I really loved the sequence around 7:00 with the low non-harmonized pedal against the strings.  Very beautiful.  How much feedback or direction did you get from the director?  Congratulations KK! 

Thanks Karelm!! The advice and feedback are really appreciated! I hope to invest more in involving live playersof any form in the future as well. It just allows for a lot more organic flexibility. Yes, I did do the mix, which at times was kind of difficult given that certain parts were recorded in stems. This is partially where the dynamic range issue comes in. That, and it was as you said, with recording crunchtime, we didn't necessarily get the most dynamic performances. Cheers on the advice with the click! That was definitely something I had difficulty with.

There was a lot of back and forth going on between the director and I, actually. But I think he helped push the music in a more harmonically ambiguous direction, which encouraged me to play with a lot of different textures. Originally the music was of a darker variety, playing the subtext a lot stronger. In the end, I'm happy with where we landed. If only more projects could afford that kind of evolution of the music.

I'm just putting a feeler out there.  If this sort of thing is frowned upon in this thread, then I apologize, but I figured I'd ask.

I'm not one to talk about my personal life, but I've written a little piece of piano music for my sister who has been battling a very serious illness for the last few months and it's taken a lot out of her.  As a result, she's decided not to celebrate her birthday this month but will postpone it until about September when hopefully the majority of her medical treatments are behind her.  As such, I was contemplating the idea of trying to orchestrate it for that $99 orchestra and present it to her as a gift, since music is sometimes just about the only form of emotional communication of which I'm capable.  The music itself is in no way complex (I'm not a pianist by training), and compared to what I've heard many of you create it probably sounds incredibly inept and juvenile, but I've never orchestrated a thing in my life and I don't trust myself to succeed with this as my first attempt.  In light of this, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in trying to orchestrate it.  It's about 3:30 long.

If this is possible, I can upload a shitty rendition of yours truly performing it on piano and then should interest still be there I can then forward the sheet music.  It would need to be set for (or any combination of) the following instruments:

Woodwinds (one of each): Flute, Oboe, Bassoon, Clarinet

Brass: 2 Trumpet, 4 Horn, Tenor and Bass Trombone

Strings: 9 Violins, 4 Violas, 4 Celli, 1 Double Bass

I know you guys have your own thing going and are no doubt busy enough as it is, but should you want to take a crack at orchestrating someone else's work, even for practice, please let me know.  Otherwise, I just wanted to extend my warm regards to all of your compositional efforts.  You guys are so much more gifted than I could ever hope to be at this level.  Keep up the good work!

I've heard this particular percussion sample all over the place but I can't seem to find where I might find it. It's in this track at the point I've specified as the start point:

It's some sort of drum loop. Any guesses?

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 1:27 AM, nightscape94 said:

I'm just putting a feeler out there.  If this sort of thing is frowned upon in this thread, then I apologize, but I figured I'd ask.

I'm not one to talk about my personal life, but I've written a little piece of piano music for my sister who has been battling a very serious illness for the last few months and it's taken a lot out of her.  As a result, she's decided not to celebrate her birthday this month but will postpone it until about September when hopefully the majority of her medical treatments are behind her.  As such, I was contemplating the idea of trying to orchestrate it for that $99 orchestra and present it to her as a gift, since music is sometimes just about the only form of emotional communication of which I'm capable.  The music itself is in no way complex (I'm not a pianist by training), and compared to what I've heard many of you create it probably sounds incredibly inept and juvenile, but I've never orchestrated a thing in my life and I don't trust myself to succeed with this as my first attempt.  In light of this, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in trying to orchestrate it.  It's about 3:30 long.

If this is possible, I can upload a shitty rendition of yours truly performing it on piano and then should interest still be there I can then forward the sheet music.  It would need to be set for (or any combination of) the following instruments:

Woodwinds (one of each): Flute, Oboe, Bassoon, Clarinet

Brass: 2 Trumpet, 4 Horn, Tenor and Bass Trombone

Strings: 9 Violins, 4 Violas, 4 Celli, 1 Double Bass

I know you guys have your own thing going and are no doubt busy enough as it is, but should you want to take a crack at orchestrating someone else's work, even for practice, please let me know.  Otherwise, I just wanted to extend my warm regards to all of your compositional efforts.  You guys are so much more gifted than I could ever hope to be at this level.  Keep up the good work!

I'd take a look at it if you had a MIDI file. I've never orchestrated anything before, so I'd probably fail miserably though!

On 27/03/2017 at 7:27 AM, nightscape94 said:

I've written a little piece of piano music for my sister who has been battling a very serious illness for the last few months and it's taken a lot out of her.  As a result, she's decided not to celebrate her birthday this month but will postpone it until about September when hopefully the majority of her medical treatments are behind her. 

I cannot help you with your orchestration request but want to wish your sister well.  I know how tough these things are on any family.

:up:

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, karelm said:

Excuse the Sibelius playback sounds but here is some orchestral ruckus from me.

KELM-Mvnt1end.mp3

I love it, I love it, I love it! It sounds like some giant, rotating alien spaceship arriving on Earth causing people around the world to panic, before suddenly jetting off into space leaving them in a state of confusion. "Mvnt1end" - are you making a symphony or a suite or something? :D  :up:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's something that I thought would do little harm to share  - a short demo piece I wrote when I received my new EWQL Composer's Collection HDD as a birthday present back in 2011!

http://picosong.com/iVZG/ 

Probably overdid the horn part a bit...

2 hours ago, Loert said:

I love it, I love it, I love it! It sounds like some giant, rotating alien spaceship arriving on Earth causing people around the world to panic, before suddenly jetting off into space leaving them in a state of confusion. "Mvnt1end" - are you making a symphony or a suite or something? :D  :up:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's something that I thought would do little harm to share  - a short demo piece I wrote when I received my new EWQL Composer's Collection HDD as a birthday present back in 2011!

http://picosong.com/iVZG/ 

Probably overdid the horn part a bit...

Cheers mate!  Yes, it is the recapitulation of the first movement of my symphony.  I really liked your work.  With that percussion section, it reminded me a bit of the Coruscant chase in AOTC. 

Not the right thread perhaps, but I wonder if anyone would let me know how they feel this mix compares to the Wallin original, bearing in mind I couldn't actually rerecord the thing to take down the loudness and mic things differently.

http://picosong.com/iXrE/