The Composer's Thread

Justin

thx zach!!

so. Favorite sample libraries? (are there a lot of composers on this forum by the way?)

I'm not sure..

well, it's something from all..I don't have a favourite sample library..

Everything has its pros and cons.

I try to stick more to the composition part, because the sample libraries-sequencing thing gives me a headache..

I just use them to make my pieces presentable and that's all..

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

This is a little piece that I composed recently and I was quite happy with the result. It's by no means anything complex or that innovative, but I really liked the way the ending turned up, a sort of cross between Stravinsky and George Bruns. A friend who's a composer said he could hear the John Williams influence! :lol:

https://soundcloud.com/pablo-fortunato/fuga-del-castillo

This is my attempt at writing modern action style John Williams.

It's reminiscent of the fight scenes in Indiana Jones, like the Flying Wing and Ants! which I enjoy!

Please tell me what you think!

Just found a clip of a thriller I scored some years ago.

James Duval is starring in this scene.

Nothing thematic here, only atmospheric and "effects" music, though I admit if I had a real orchestra I would write something different.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently, a friend of mine agreed to direct/film the video for his friend for some competition about chartered accounting. I was asked to score it.

Now I'm not really the kind of guy who goes for self-promotion, but I've been asked to share the video to get as many as views, comments and likes as possible. So if its not too much trouble, I'd be really grateful if you guys can take a moment to watch the video, like it, maybe comment on it or even share it with others.

I know the music has issues with the synths and mix, but there was far too little time given for this project, and I did what I could with the conditions I had.

Again, it'd be great if you could like the video on youtube and maybe share it with others. Apparently view count is one of the things taken into consideration when picking the winner for this "Rule the Tube 2013" contest.

And if you wanted to tell me what you thought of the music, I wouldn't mind ;)

Thanks a million guys!

- KK

(tack ;D )

who knows from what sources my inspiration comes. sometimes it's just plagiarism without me even noticing appearantly

Walid, you are obviously a smart man, so writing someone's name correctly should not be above your abilities.

It is Stefan. Alternatively Stefancos, Mr. Cosman or God!

The last one would be good for you to use since it teaches you humility, something an artist needs if they put up a piece of music, asking what people think of it.

No one dares anger the Cosman and live to see another day!

I really like the production and samples of your piece Walid (although it is a tad too wet). Nice work.

Reminded me a bit of Game of Thrones in structure to be honest (except it sounds like its written by a competent composer) ;)

In terms of composition, while it's not particularly mindblowing, it is enjoyable and well written. I was simply commenting on how the mix and samples gives the music scope. Although in the future, it should probably be noted that the wetness makes the piece sound muddled in parts, I noticed this was also the case with the other works you posted here Walid.

Walid, you are obviously a smart man, so writing someone's name correctly should not be above your abilities. It is Stefan. Alternatively Stefancos, Mr. Cosman or God! The last one would be good for you to use since it teaches you humility, something an artist needs if they put up a piece of music, asking what people think of it.

Hey, where I come from (Sweden), derivating peoples names into these cute little nicknames is charged with positive energy. However it can also be negatively, which would be what you thought it sounded like. Alas, the latter was not of my intent. I'm sorry, Stefan.

No one dares anger the Cosman and live to see another day!

I really like the production and samples of your piece Walid (although it is a tad too wet). Nice work.

Yes, I'm slowly but surely working off the wetness of the mix. You would be surprised how "dry" it actually is, or rather how much of it is just pure samples with recorded room/ambience. Should consider getting drier samples.

I agree, though production doesn't say much about actual composition ability. I mean Hans Zimmer build a career around making rather mediocre music sound impressive

Oh yes, definitely. A good mix does help sell a composition though.

Reminded me a bit of Game of Thrones in structure to be honest (except it sounds like its written by a competent composer) ;)

In terms of composition, while it's not particularly mindblowing, it is enjoyable and well written. I was simply commenting on how the mix and samples gives the music scope. Although in the future, it should probably be noted that the wetness makes the piece sound muddled in parts, I noticed this was also the case with the other works you posted here Walid.

In all honesty, the soundtrack to Game Of Thrones is in my top 10 music flop list. Ramin Djawadi had a chance to make something spectacular with that story and world, but it turned out extremely boring. But I do like the main title theme...

I kinda agree, because the track is very multi-layered the wet mix makes it lack focus, especially the middle part.

As I previously said, I'm constantly working to get it dry and crisp. It is a bit tough! Here's a little template example I wrote where I have reduced the wetness (or reverb send bus) quite a lot.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12797960/Sprout_1.mp3

Oh and thanks for the replies, guys. It's very interesting to hear your insights.

I'm not sure if I have posted this here again. Forgive me if I have.

It's a piece from 2005 (when i was 25 years old) .

Yes, it's evident from which piece it's influenced, that's why I remembered it today, since I'm studying the film and the score.

It seems to be the piece that people like more, although I really have to move on and try to evolve.. :)

The solo violin is by a Russian Violinist. I think she played it very well indeed!

(the whole piece is with soundfonts and the live violin. I didn't have sample libraries back then)

filmmusic, that's a beautiful piece, well done!

Here's a short project I worked on recently. It's an orchestral setting based on the motif of the folk song "Oranges and Lemons". Hope you enjoy it!

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with tannhauser. Solid piece filmmusic.

Working on a personal album called "Voice of the Earth". Sort of an ambient and peaceful, but dark orchestral album with some ambience outside the realms of symphony. This is the second song in it with the same name, "Voice of the Earth":

The exaggerated sense of space and padlike texture is there not because of a production error, but by my own liking. All thoughts, comments and critiques are welcomed of course.

Enjoy guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much both for your good words! :)

@tanhauser

I don't know the folk song you say, but I liked that you explored your piece harmonically.

@Walid

as I recall from another piece, it seems this style is your thing! ;)

I liked the textures very much. I would try to elaborate a bit in harmony and in melody (especially since the piece is more than 4 minues), but I guess the ambience as you say was the scope of the piece, so it succeeds in that field.

I posted something else in my facebook today, and I just post it here too.

This is a scene from my first film assignment ever, in 2008.

I still remember how happy I was that I found this film and had the opportunity to make my first step towards my dream...

The score won the "Best Music for Short film" award at the Jerry Goldsmith Awards in Spain.

(you can turn CC on for English subtitles)

• 3 weeks later...

Short woodwinds/french horns piece I wrote.

https://soundcloud.com/regis-anthony-amos/sweetener

A motif I've been playing around with, this one isn't really finished.

https://soundcloud.com/regis-anthony-amos/harmonica-incomplete

Variation on the motif.

https://soundcloud.com/regis-anthony-amos/glissando

This is my now Award Winning (from a film banquet at my college, so not a big deal) short film I made for my High School as an advertisement for their Winter Formal! I wrote, directed, edited, and composed the music myself.

Now, its a VERY modern score. Simple Chord progression, repetitive, gratuitous use of strings and piano. Its very inspired by Paperman, both in look and music.

It won Best Score (I was the only one who wrote an original score, everyone else in the banquet used existing/royalty-free music) and Judges' Choice!

Tell me what you think!

before you bash the acting, they're high school Student Association officers who volunteered to be in the film; they're not really that great at acting!

• 2 months later...

Here is my latest work, for the National Park Travelers Club 2014 convention preview:

(the first minute features music from from the previous two previews -- you can find those on Youtube as well, and then there's new music until the end... and my fiance provides vocals from 2:19 through 2:47)

• 5 months later...

This is a score I wrote late last year for a short film made by a friend. It's got some beautiful art and design for an amateur production. Please take a look and a listen, and I'd love to hear what some of you good folks think of the music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr6QsQX9lwQ

By way of brief introduction:

Basically there are three themes in the work. The first is the theme for Nature/Creation/Light - first heard when the Chorus sings the Latin hymn, "Lucis Creator Optime" This goes through several variations, including a threatening reading in the brass when the forest is destroyed in a fire.

The second theme is an ascending figure associated with the image of the mountain, seen standing throughout different ages and times through history.

The third theme is for mankind, a motif often played on strings or horns starting with a leaping optimistic fifth which descends again but then climbs higher. It's always touched with a sense of melancholy, doom and weakness, and towards the end sinks into darker territory, but the film ends on a note of hope, with a lydian dissonance which resolves to a tender E major chord.

Hope you enjoy it!

That's some very fine music there, Tannhauser. Lovely choral writing, and I'm a sucker for Latin. Great harmonies/colors when the plants are growing. Good stuff.

Thanks very much for your comment, TGP, and for taking the time to listen. Any thoughts on the dramatic/structural side of things?

This is a score I wrote late last year for a short film made by a friend. It's got some beautiful art and design for an amateur production. Please take a look and a listen, and I'd love to hear what some of you good folks think of the music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr6QsQX9lwQ

By way of brief introduction:

Basically there are three themes in the work. The first is the theme for Nature/Creation/Light - first heard when the Chorus sings the Latin hymn, "Lucis Creator Optime" This goes through several variations, including a threatening reading in the brass when the forest is destroyed in a fire.

The second theme is an ascending figure associated with the image of the mountain, seen standing throughout different ages and times through history.

The third theme is for mankind, a motif often played on strings or horns starting with a leaping optimistic fifth which descends again but then climbs higher. It's always touched with a sense of melancholy, doom and weakness, and towards the end sinks into darker territory, but the film ends on a note of hope, with a lydian dissonance which resolves to a tender E major chord.

Hope you enjoy it!

Nicely done Tannhauser - very epic and Wagnerian. Kind of reminds me of Terrance Mallick.

A piece recently performed by my school orchestra. Yes, I took some cues from Debussy.

https://soundcloud.com/henry-buck/buoy

Tannhauser, I liked your film score. I wonder if you could find ways to fill the space a little more. It wouldn't necessarily take padding in a conventional sense, but something to alleviate the feeling of blockiness. You might look at blending instrumental layers more and staggering entrances.

A piece recently performed by my school orchestra. Yes, I took some cues from Debussy.

Tannhauser, I liked your film score. I wonder if you could find ways to fill the space a little more. It wouldn't necessarily take padding in a conventional sense, but something to alleviate the feeling of blockiness. You might look at blending instrumental layers more and staggering entrances.

Very nice Henry. Reminds me of pastoral Vaughan Williams (ala Serenade for Music) and Gorecki Symphony No. 3 with a little Ravel thrown in - all great. Interesting harp line at the end.

Henry, based on your Debussy comment I was prepared for more of the unfortunately common problem of "young" composers (poorly) rewriting other composers' music rather than (skillfully) writing their own. I was delighted to hear that wasn't the case at all with your piece, which has the hallmarks of Debussyian sensuality and color but is decidedly sprung from your own mind. Well done.

Agreed. It's lovely music, especially the choral rendition of the first theme, but I feel like the transitions from the different ideas aren't done in a fashion that supports the film. As a piece on its own, its great, but sometimes the film and the music don't necessarily flow together. The way the different themes are played through is interesting, but sometimes the piece appears to be at war with the visuals. The video also looks quite good by the way. I'm curious about how it was all made!

This is beautiful. Yes, I love the use of Debussy-like textures to express your own voice. Well done!

Here is some of my orchestral sci-fi music:

http://soundcloud.com/karelm-1/sets/kelm-actiondemo

Fantastic! Lot's of great ideas all around.

Henry, that is a great piece of work, and congrats on getting it performed! Beautiful colours and textures, and a great dramatic arc and slow build. Thanks for your comment on my piece also, I agree that "flow" problems are something I need to improve on.

Agreed. It's lovely music, especially the choral rendition of the first theme, but I feel like the transitions from the different ideas aren't done in a fashion that supports the film. As a piece on its own, its great, but sometimes the film and the music don't necessarily flow together. The way the different themes are played through is interesting, but sometimes the piece appears to be at war with the visuals. The video also looks quite good by the way. I'm curious about how it was all made!

Thanks KK, I appreciate your feedback. I wonder if you could give an example of any particular passages or scenes where you felt the music and the visuals didn't match up so well?

The visuals were all done by one guy on his Mac, using a mixture of photography and animation. It's pretty neat!

• 2 months later...

So, I am not a composer, but I would like to be, so I thought I would try my hand at it:

Fanfare:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9WXpOZ3lLNjJVMGc/edit?usp=sharing

Theme:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9aFJjZHZmZnpjVm8/edit?usp=sharing

• 1 month later...

A bit irrelevant now since Easter has passed, but here's an early concert piece for strings inspired by "The Crucifixion".

I would love to hear that with real strings with emotion, because emotion should be the 50% of the piece..

(the specific recording is with soundfonts.)

I LOVED that piece. Were you listening to Williams' War of the Worlds and A.I.? It's much more than just an imitation, though. And it's interesting that you talk about emotion, because to me this piece doesn't wear its heart on its sleeve, which is all too often a problem with religious music.

Thank you very much Henry! :)

I was actually influenced more by Barber's Adagio for Strings in the way the piece unfolds and reaches the high strings.

But yes, you might say I was a bit influenced by A.I. too (especially in texture in the beginning) and Arlington (JFK)..

The soundtrack to War of the Worlds hadn't been released yet when I wrote this piece.

I didn't understand what the expression "doesn't wear its heart on its sleeve" means.. :rolleyes:

Great use of fourth species counterpoint (not sure what they call that in Greece). Have you read Humphrey Searle's 20th Century Counterpoint?

Thank you.

yes, it is called they same here.

No, I haven't read it. Is it good? I can't find a preview..

edit: Never mind. Found it. Looks very interesting! Thanks! ;)