• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Justin

JWFan Composers
The Composer's Thread

1026 posts in this topic

M. Julliet, are you the composer for an official Playstation 2 videogame?  That is exciting to have you in our midst if you are.  Actually, it is exciting to have you in our midst even if you aren't because your music is quite impressive.  Welcome to the site.

~Conor

Thank you Romantic to have taken time to hear my work.

I just did a videogame soundtrack a few time ago. This was a PC/Playstation game based on the caractere of Zorro. I enjoyed to do the job. I am actually working on a french movie. I am not the composer for this project, . I am doing the orchestrations for François PEYRONY, the composer, with a good friend of mine, Jean Philippe BEC. I am also the music production manager.

Wow, these make me feel so... inadequate... I'd usually blame the quality of my compositions on my age, but there are people younger than me who write much better. Oh well, I'll just blame it on my lack of a sample library.

Well, do you play any instrument? That can somewhat make up for the lack of sample library, to an extent (if you compose accordingly).

For this track, I only used MIDI drums and e-bass, and recorded all the strings myself (multiple violin tracks, plus cello and bass via recording with violin and transposing one or two ocatves down (well, doesn't sound exactly real, but it works ;))). And a bit of guitar and horn thrown in.

Helmut and his Plant - Finale

I'd like to describe what the music will underscore, but the director wants the plot kept secret (the film is shot in chapters, and it will be a while until it's finished).

(This is just a small movie made by some amateurs, but they infuse it with a great sense of (practical) humor and funny acting ;))

------------------------

BTW, Laurent, I'm just listening to that LOOOONG demo sample ;) REally good work in there! :)

Yeah, I play the piano, but find it much easier to transcribe music straight into the computer - and some of my best work has come straight from my brain to the keyboard. I don't find it any lesser way of composing - it just comes to me already playing and I simply transcribe it.

And I still want a sample library. ;)

Maybe I'm strange, but that actually rocks! Reminds me of John Barry in places.

LOL. Thanks Saxbabe! I had a lot of fun with that one. Its something I probably wouldn't have done if it wasn't an assignment. But they bought me Quantum Leap Brass for it, which was nice.

Here's the full track:

http://hopkins.composerarts.com/audiodownl...inion_alley.mp3

The main reason I don't want to do more Kaiju music is because they always want me to rip off other music. I never do, so they always feel a little disappointed. Its a little unfulfilling to have people constantly telling me to make it closer to the temp track, while I resist. Exhausting. Plus, they all listen to hip hop, so whenever they hear strings (even if it was in the temp track) they cringe.

@Composer_Fan:

mainly I use a Cubase/Gigastudio combi and lot of orchestral samples like VSL and the older siedlacek libs and some other stuff.

It is working, but I would give my right arm to have a real orchestra to play my stuff. Well, who would not? ;)

Speaking of samples... I have Native Instruments Kontakt Player Gold (for Sibelius 3) and Native Instrtuments Komplete 2 (Kompakt, Kontkat, Intakt, etc..) but this has limited samples. Does anyone know of a sample set with some nice flutes (not solo sort of thing, something that I could use more aggressively). Thanks :)

Oh, I use Sibelius 3 for writing and some sample outputting, and Cubase SX 2 for Final Output, touching up, volume leveling, VST Instruments, etc..

Wow, there are some wonderful pieces that have been posted. It's great to see so many composer's emerging from the JWFan woodwork. bowdown

Anyway, I have a cue here. Try and be forgiving of the horrid synths (at least in comparison to many of cues I've heard.) I wrote this a few months ago. I think it's a fun piece. :)

The Team Fortress March

Justin

mainly I use a Cubase/Gigastudio combi and lot of orchestral samples like VSL and the older siedlacek libs and some other stuff.  

It is working, but I would give my right arm to have a real orchestra to play my stuff. Well, who would not? :)

Speaking of samples... I have Native Instruments Kontakt Player Gold (for Sibelius 3) and Native Instrtuments Komplete 2 (Kompakt, Kontkat, Intakt, etc..) but this has limited samples. Does anyone know of a sample set with some nice flutes (not solo sort of thing, something that I could use more aggressively). Thanks  

Oh, I use Sibelius 3 for writing and some sample outputting, and Cubase SX 2 for Final Output, touching up, volume leveling, VST Instruments, etc..

LOL I use Sibelius 3 (Kontakt Silver). I feel poor.

Well, for all of you who are working mainly with notation progs like Sibelius, I hardly recommend to get "Garritans Personal Orchestra". It's really a gem. Espacially for it's price (around 250 ?, don't now how much in dollar). The sounds are remarkable good and it has oem versions of cubase and overture notation prog onboard.

And saying this I don't even get money from garritan. :)

I use both EWQLSO Silver and Gold. I chose Silver to start with last summer over GPO because the brass sound infinitely better on Silver. GPO brass remind me of the anemic sounds from my 15 year old Proteus 2 orchestral mod. QLSO series are better suited to Hollywood film score type situations. Their samples have an epic sound. The brass and percussion are especially good. The strings are a little wonky on Silver for my tastes, but QLSO are releasing "Pro" versions of each edition that ostensibly double the amount of sounds/articulations. Should be very cool.

I've just uploaded what I've composed so far of my "Clockworks" compision  

Any comments appreciated!  Tell me where I can improve too if you like.  

http://www.jcxp.net/jack/compositions/Clockwork.mp3  

Nicely done dude.  So far so good, would love to hear more.  I love the use of the Pitched Percuss, not enough composers today use it.  Glad too see you really showing it off.  

My music teacher liked it so much -- he was getting excited and it was really scaring me  

Thank ya! :P

I've just uploaded what I've composed so far of my "Clockworks" compision  

Any comments appreciated!  Tell me where I can improve too if you like.  

http://www.jcxp.net/jack/compositions/Clockwork.mp3  

Nicely done dude.  So far so good, would love to hear more.  I love the use of the Pitched Percuss, not enough composers today use it.  Glad too see you really showing it off.  

My music teacher liked it so much -- he was getting excited and it was really scaring me  

Thank ya! :P

Nicely done dude. So far so good, would love to hear more. I love the use of the Pitched Percuss, not enough composers today use it. Glad too see you really showing it off.

Ignore my miss quote thing.

I am having a devil of a time figuring out how to master my recorded scores, very often my stuff sounds muddy and distant. Yet some of the music posted here sounds clean and clear. I realised my mistake in the past was that I was using too much reverb to disguise my cr*p sample set :D . But I think I have rectified this problem by buying some new samples and using GigaPulse for the reverb. I've got two scores that I have done so far to show you guys.

The first one I wrote for my brothers student film, recorded with the Bulgarian Philharmonic orchestra and choir:

http://www.heskethmediaproductions.co.uk/h...%20of%20Destiny

The second I wrote as a try out for my new sample set. I was going for a bond style piece to underscore an action scene:

http://www.heskethmediaproductions.co.uk/h...in%20action.mp3

I processed the bond piece with a bit of EQ?ing, but this has resulted in some clipping. I tell you it?s a right game getting the volume levels right without it clipping. It?s not just a case of setting your recording level at the right setting and there you go. You then have to fiddle around with the EQ settings to bring out the best in the piece.

Any helpful suggestions or pointers would be appreciated. :P

What is clipping?

This is where the maximum volume level in the score exceeds 0db (the maximum level you can record your music at), resulting in nasty static noise in the loud parts of your piece. The simple answer should be to just reduce the recording volume. But then this results in the quiet parts becoming too quiet. You then have to boost the levels on these parts to balance the score out (Using compression), but then you loose all the dynamic volume changes in your composition.

Here is a little video from a recording sessions done at Angel Studio in London with the London Philarmonia Orchestra. I wrote this music, with ten other pieces in a romantic style, for a library CD edited by Kosinus.

I am having a devil of a time figuring out how to master my recorded scores, very often my stuff sounds muddy and distant. Yet some of the music posted here sounds clean and clear. I realised my mistake in the past was that I was using too much reverb to disguise my cr*p sample set   :D . But I think I have rectified this problem by buying some new samples and using GigaPulse for the reverb. I've got two scores that I have done so far to show you guys.

The first one I wrote for my brothers student film, recorded with the Bulgarian Philharmonic orchestra and choir:

http://www.heskethmediaproductions.co.uk/h...%20of%20Destiny

The second I wrote as a try out for my new sample set. I was going for a bond style piece to underscore an action scene:

http://www.heskethmediaproductions.co.uk/h...in%20action.mp3

I processed the bond piece with a bit of EQ?ing, but this has resulted in some clipping. I tell you it?s a right game getting the volume levels right without it clipping. It?s not just a case of setting your recording level at the right setting and there you go. You then have to fiddle around with the EQ settings to bring out the best in the piece.

Any helpful suggestions or pointers would be appreciated. :P

I love the bond in action -- What sample set is that? It sounds amazing :) -- Very Hollywood

Laurent, that's a lovely piece. Great use of pandiatonic string harmonies. Good sound. Not sure why no one else has commented on this beautiful piece but it's quite lovely.

Here is a little video from a recording sessions done at Angel Studio in London with the London Philarmonia Orchestra. I wrote this music, with ten other pieces in a romantic style, for a library CD edited by Kosinus.

Very nice, I couldn't hope to bring out that level of expression in my string samples. It goes to show that samples cannot compete with a real live orchestra.

I've just been listening to the other pieces on your website and I especially like the theme of Zorro piece. I like the very expressive trumpet. Clearly you are a pro who knows the ropes. Have you got any pointers on solving my Mastering dilemma?

I love the bond in action -- What sample set is that? It sounds amazing  -- Very Hollywood

Thanks very much. I am using a combination of Garritan Orchestral strings and Vienna Symphonic library for brass & woodwind.

Wow. I'm loving this piece. Really quite beautiful. :P

is my english correct, it is terrific for me to write in the Shakespear language. Just imagine when Ineed to speak!!

It's incredible, every body answer me that: " Certainly better than my French"

It's so funny. I love this response.

Formidable! :D

Listening to your demo now, sounds pretty cool. :)

- Marc, who cannot post quick thoughts in good French. :P