Justin

The Composer's Thread

I composed a short thing about a month ago using FL studio and I'm reworking it into Sibelius. Tbh this is my first time putting any of my comps into an actual notation program. I've used software like musescore finale and noteflight but they're very unintuitive, but so far sibelius has been very pleasant to use. 

I guess it's a bit of a trade off deciding between realistic sample libraries and notating an entire orchestra without a giant SSD.

im using notepreformer demo for sibelius.

the original: https://soundcloud.com/cordax1/original47

rework: https://soundcloud.com/cordax1/47sib/s-TEVHt

and the brass parts for some reason: https://soundcloud.com/cordax1/47brass/s-n1Q0B

very wip

Really nice!  Quite Williamsesque, but with some nice variation on the style.  Thanks for the brass, too.

As for the software/sound, quite obvious that the original is better.  But, as far as I've heard, Sibelius is a good software, and the sound is not all that bad.  Should be fine for day to day composing and sketching.   

Different projects call for different tools, I would venture.  

55 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Really nice!  Quite Williamsesque, but with some nice variation on the style.  Thanks for the brass, too.

As for the software/sound, quite obvious that the original is better.  But, as far as I've heard, Sibelius is a good software, and the sound is not all that bad.  Should be fine for day to day composing and sketching.   

Different projects call for different tools, I would venture.  

Aren't you a filmmaker? Shouldn't you start a director's thread? :P

2 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

You're right. But for a notation program, notepreformer sounds exceptional compared to the other ones available. It just takes a bit more effort to get it into the quality vst samples.

Thanks again for your kind words everyone. I'd like to share another track, this one is just MIDI, I wrote it about a year ago. It was an exercise in form; I wanted to take a few melodic ideas (a dark regal march and the Dies Irae, cliché I know but it's very easy to work with) and weave them in and out of each other between distinct sections. There's more than a few Williamsisms on show here but as I said it was more an exercise than a serious composition. I'm pretty happy with how the MIDI is all sounding, but I've learned a lot more about natural spacial placement of tracks - particularly panning - that I'd redo if I had the chance. 

Sequenced in Logic Pro X. Libraries used:

Cinesamples CineWinds CORE + PRO

Cinesamples Hollywoodwinds

Sample Modeling Horns + Tuba

Sample Modeling Trumpet

Sample Modeling Trombones

Cinesamples CinePerc CORE + PRO

ProjectSAM Harp

Cinesamples Piano in Blue

Cinesamples CineStrings

Cinesamples CineStrings RUNS

5 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

Thanks again for your kind words everyone. I'd like to share another track, this one is just MIDI, I wrote it about a year ago. It was an exercise in form; I wanted to take a few melodic ideas (a dark regal march and the Dies Irae, cliché I know but it's very easy to work with) and weave them in and out of each other between distinct sections. There's more than a few Williamsisms on show here but as I said it was more an exercise than a serious composition. I'm pretty happy with how the MIDI is all sounding, but I've learned a lot more about natural spacial placement of tracks - particularly panning - that I'd redo if I had the chance. 

Sequenced in Logic Pro X. Libraries used:

Cinesamples CineWinds CORE + PRO

Cinesamples Hollywoodwinds

Sample Modeling Horns + Tuba

Sample Modeling Trumpet

Sample Modeling Trombones

Cinesamples CinePerc CORE + PRO

ProjectSAM Harp

Cinesamples Piano in Blue

Cinesamples CineStrings

Cinesamples CineStrings RUNS

I hear the Williamisms but it is unique enough that I can also hear your voice.   For example, you go more gothic than JW ever does.  Sort of like Danny Elfman's version of JW.  The orchestration is solid but can also be taken up a few notches.  You might want to consider asking a colleague to orchestrate this using your original to hear what they come up with.  It's not easy to explain but their are moments where a flourish can add a lot and doesn't take away from your intent.

Hello everyone.

I'm posting here the main titles for CORNERED! (2009), a horror film with Steve Guttenberg and James Duval.

Nothing fancy, just a sound-design-y, atonal score. (my first attempt at that).

The sequence is dialogue driven since we were listening to various newscasters announcing the news about a serial killer.

(and that's why the music is simple and - I believe - serviceable)

20 hours ago, cordax said:

short meh thing 

It has potential.  Take a deeper dive into counterpoint and voice leading.  Right now it sounds like melody with harmonic accompaniment rather than individual voices.  Nice ideas though.

7 hours ago, tannhauser said:

Some choral music!  I did some settings of Shakespeare Sonnets earlier this year, making a selection of 4 which relate to the seasons of the year.  Linking to the set, but if you open each one individually you'll get the text in the description.

https://soundcloud.com/peterclarkecomposer/sets/natures-changing-course

I liked it!  Has some appropriate Englishness.  Nice transitions and melodies.