Lost

Mr. Breathmask

Surprised a mod hasn't locked this thread and started a new one since we're over 100 pages

In honor of the show, the Lost thread stays open until page 108. :rolleyes:

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently there won't be a press release for the finale! But here are 2 clips:

Clip 1:

Clip 2:

If you want to know which former cast members will turn up in the finale, open the following spoiler block:

Juliet, Shannon, Charlotte, Penny, Rose, and Bernard all filmed scenes for the finale.

No word on if Charlie, Boone, Michael, Walt, Ana Lucia, Libby, Nikki, Paulo, Eloise Hawking, Widmore, Faraday, or Lapidus will be in it.

Jason, Eloise Hawking has some very special knowledge and power, so she certainly never needed any revelation.

Can anyone please help with the tracks from the CD of Season 5, which I received today?

I have only ever seen each episode once, and, as usual, the titles are more confusing than anything-- "Your Kharma Hit My Dharma", for instance; or "Follow the Leader": what moment in the episode does it correspond to?

(I remember somone gave clear titles to previous season tracks)

Thanks!

FINALE OF "LOST" TO BE BROUGHT TO INTERNATIONAL

VIEWERS FASTER THAN EVER BEFORE

Fans in UK, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Israel, Turkey to Enjoy Final Episode

at the Same Time as U.S. West Coast, Sunday, May 23, 9:00-11:30 p.m., PT

London/Hong Kong -- The Walt Disney Company today announced that the two-and-a-half-hour finale of "Lost" will be made available to international platforms faster than the series has ever been before, in line with global demand. The continually accelerated international delivery of this groundbreaking show is in keeping with Disney's commitment to offer consumers legitimate, flexible ways in which to enjoy its must-see programming.

Driven by fan demand - and regardless of the international time difference - the non-subtitled finale will be simultaneously broadcast with the U.S. West Coast telecast (May 23, from 9:00 p.m., PT) on Sky1 in the UK, Fox Italia and Telecom Italia in Italy, Cuatro Spain, Fox Spain and Portugal, Digiturk Turkey, HOT Israel. CTV Canada will broadcast the finale at the same time as the U.S. East Coast.

In total, 59 countries around the world will air the final episode from 24-48 hours after the U.S. broadcast, with subtitles for viewers in non-English speaking territories. The series is licensed as part of their existing 'Hot from the U.S.' agreements with Disney Media Distribution, which bring series such as "Lost," "Desperate Housewives" and "Grey's Anatomy" to international platforms in a 24-48 hour window from U.S. broadcast.

Ben Pyne, president, Global Distribution, Disney Media Networks, commented: "'Lost's' intrinsic global appeal and enthusiastic international following have driven a demand to create innovative windowing opportunities to air the programming on earlier and more convenient platforms. Since the show's first season, we have greatly accelerated all of our U.S. network series' international delivery, broadcast and marketing, and so it's fitting that many international fans will be able to enjoy its spectacular finale in concert with its U.S. broadcast."

Since its premiere in 2004, "Lost" has been licensed to over 220 international territories by Disney Media Distribution, and has become a global sensation, spawning a huge and devoted following all over the world. It has amassed numerous industry awards and was a 2008 recipient of the prestigious Peabody Award, and awarded the 2005 Emmy and 2006 Golden Globe for Best Drama Series. At the end of its sixth and final season, "Lost" will have aired 114 episodes (121 episodic hours). Oceanic Air flight 815 tore apart in mid-air and crashed on a Pacific island, leaving 48 passengers alive and stranded on a remote island in the South Pacific. The survivors include a diverse group of people from different walks of life -- a doctor, an escaped fugitive, a con man, an Iraqi interrogator, a married Korean couple and a man formerly confined to a wheelchair who is now inexplicably healed. As the castaways attempt to get home, flashbacks (and forwards) illuminate their troubled lives before and after the crash, as the island that they find themselves stranded on begins to slowly reveal its mysterious nature. Faith, reason, destiny and free will all clash as the island offers opportunities for both corruption and redemption... but as to its true purpose? That's the greatest mystery of all.

"Lost" stars Naveen Andrews as Sayid, Nestor Carbonell as Richard Alpert, Emilie de Ravin as Claire, Michael Emerson as Ben, Jeff Fahey as Frank Lapidus, Matthew Fox as Jack, Jorge Garcia as Hurley, Josh Holloway as Sawyer, Daniel Dae Kim as Jin, Yunjin Kim as Sun, Ken Leung as Miles, Evangeline Lilly as Kate, Terry O'Quinn as Locke and Zuleikha Robinson as Ilana.

"Lost" was created by Jeffrey Lieber and J.J. Abrams & Damon Lindelof. Abrams, Lindelof, Bryan Burk, Jean Higgins, Elizabeth Sarnoff, Edward Kitsis, Adam Horowitz, Jack Bender and Carlton Cuse serve as executive producers. "Lost," which is filmed entirely on location in Hawaii, is from ABC Studios.

*International broadcasters who will be able to make the episode available from 24-48 hours after the U.S. West Coast telecast include, in alphabetical order:

* Belgacom Belgium

* Canal Plus Poland

* Deutsche Telekom Germany

* Digiturk

* Fox Italia

* HOT Israel

* 'N' Poland

* Orbit Showtime Middle East

* Portugal Telecom

* RTE Ireland

* SBS Netherlands

* Channel 7 Australia

* 7TWO Australia

* Singtel mio TV Singapore

* Sogecable Spain

* Telenet Belguim

* Telecom Italia

* TF1 France

Contacts:

Disney Media Networks Publicity:

Andrea Gruber T: (818) 460-5426 E: andrea.gruber@disney.com

Disney Media Distribution EMEA:

Sarah Hird T: +44 (0) 208 222 1724 E: sarah.hird@disney.com

Disney Media Distribution APAC:

Amit Narayan T: +852 2203 2393 E: amit.narayan@disney.com

Photography and video available at www.abcmedianet.com. Photography request line (818) 460-6611.

Well yeah, Desmond is gathering them all to meet at the concert. That's the point.

I got it! All the characters will meet at a John Williams concert at the Bowl and they all will see the real Light! :)

Very good episode, it confirmed what I thought would be at stake for the Finale (protecting the Light from going out, otherwise the world will end) and even raised it (i.e. Smokey wants the Island destroyed).

I guess there will be a lot of analogies with Season 2 Finale (Desmond acting as a fail-safe and the Island being like the Swan hatch on a bigger scale), something the great Larisa Aleksandrovna already theorized a few months ago (don't read it if you don't to be spoiled, I think she's dead-on).

That'd be awesome!

By the way...whatever happened with the titles? I thought they'd announced the finale title as "Final Flight" at one point...was that a false rumor, and intentional red herring, or an honest-to-goodness name change?

I'm not sure what you're talking about? The series finale has always and only ever been called "The End"

I'm not sure what you're talking about? The series finale has always and only ever been called "The End"

Huh. I must have misunderstood something, or read something written by someone who misunderstood something.

I was reading a review of "What They Died For" and came across this which I think sums up my Widmore feelings nicely

Widmore's storyline has been weak so far, and I was really expecting it to strengthen up. Instead, this once-great character is reduced to hiding like a coward in a closet. Less than one minute after being found, he's willing to sell out his whole operation on the off chance that the MIB will allow his daughter to live. The guy spends his whole life trying to get back to the island... just so he can whisper the darkest secrets of his master plan right into Flocke's ear?

And what about the end of the world? "If he gets off the island, everyone you know and love will cease to exist!" It's like all that stuff just flew right out the window the second Penny was mentioned. Ben shooting Widmore to prevent him from saving his daughter was a pretty cool scene, and I loved the line he delivers immediately afterward. But Charles Widmore? Unless there's an underlying storyline we don't know about, he went out like a total chump. His only apparent purpose - both times so far - was to get Desmond to the island.

The numbers have a big backstory, most of which isn't in the show. The most recent revelation is that the numbers corresponded to the last remaining candidates on Jacob's list. I don't think they'll ever be "explained" and honestly I don't really think they need to be.

Jorge Garcia says goodbye to LOST:

http://www.variety.c...cs=1&ref=verttv

Ouch...

Very touching. I can't imagine what it must be like to spend six years working on a huge show like this and then just be...done. Probably not as emotional as we all think it would be, as it is just a job at the end of the day. But still.

And as far as Jorge Garcia specifically goes, I do wonder what he'll do next. I suppose there's some danger of typecasting...hopefully we'll be seeing him in other roles that play up his considerable strengths without feeling like Hurley rehashes.

Probably more comedy roles. He was on Becker and Curb Your Enthusiasm before Lost, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him pop up on a show eventually.

I saw that on Lindelof's Twitter. Pretty bitchin'.

Man, I'm behind on my Lost rewatch. Nearly done with Happily Ever After now. I should be up to The Candidate. Oh noes!

So the whole thing's finally ending Sunday huh? I might check it out, though I haven't watched any since the season...4 (?) finale- whichever one ended with Locke in the coffin and the boat blowing up with Jin on it (is that even the same one?)- so I'll have no idea what's what.

But I always said that I'd go back and watch the whole thing after it was done, I intend to stick by that.

You really should watch everything. Don't tune in for the finale episode till you've watched seasons 5 and 6 - there are some important things you've missed that would either be completely spoiled or completely confusing. Maybe both. Season 5 is really awesome, WAY better than season 4 in my opinion, and season 6 is worth watching even if it is slow at times.

Tonight (saturday) is just a re-run of the Pilot right?

Tomorrow is 2 hour re-cap thing followed by the 2 1/2 hour finale .It's going to be along TV night

I haven't watched any since the season...4 (?) finale- whichever one ended with Locke in the coffin and the boat blowing up with Jin on it (is that even the same one?)- so I'll have no idea what's what.

Indeed you won't.

I suggest watching season 5 and the rest of 6 before watching the finale. Otherwise, it'll be confusing as hell and the stuff you haven't seen will basically be spoiled by the finale.

^ Yup.

By the way, did y'all already know that Tania Raymonde (Alex) has apparently been dating Jeff Goldblum? No offense to either of them, but that just gives me the creeps.

Tonight (saturday) is just a re-run of the Pilot right?

Tomorrow is 2 hour re-cap thing followed by the 2 1/2 hour finale .It's going to be along TV night

Followed by the goodbye special on Jimmy Kimmel. So from 7pm to 1am.

That promo was amazing. I'm surprised it didn't win the contest, they aired some other fan made one after last week's episode.

I couldn't agree more with this beautiful article.

Yes. A very good analysis of the show and I completely agree with the writer.

Well, any special preparations you guys are doing?

I haven't played the CDs from Season 2 3 in a relatively long time because my favorite ones are those of Seasons 1 & 4, so I am listening to all 5 season albums.

Season 1 has just ended.

Season 2 now.

Here's a quotation from Giacchino's note in the booklet:

"In the end, LOST isn't necessarily about the polar bears, the hatch, the numbers or even the Others. For me, LOST is about the idea that we as individuals can be better. Whatever happens to you in life, the one thing you always have is the chance to improve upon your flaws."

As it turned out, Jacob picked the Candidates because they had flawed lives they could leave to stay on the Island, where their strong potential for Good and making the right choices could be fulfilled.

Thank you again, Jason, and thanks to those who contributed to Lostpedia, for linking me to it for a synopsis of the scenes the CD tracks correspond to. I can't understand how I never thought-- or maybe did, but somehow never remembered-- to check it out. This is extremely useful in listening to the tracks, making some sense of what's going on, recalling scenes and episodes, and appreciating the score albums even more.

It's quite a rediscovery.

Even if it relatively well stand on its own, some music really needs contextualizing to grasp the cues better.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

To celebrate the Finale and Lost, how about picking our favorite bits from the series, TV-wise an/or musically, scene- or character-wise?

My favorite tracks definitely are Season 1's "Parting Words" and "Oceanic 815", for their great beauty and high emotion. "Oceanic 815" probably also is my favorite scene of the whole series; having gotten to know most of the characters (we still had to meet Bernard) pretty well throughout the Season, knowing part of their fates, and now, five years later, knowing the fate of nearly all of them, this montage of the future Lostaways boarding the plane, getting to their seats, either politely nodding or at each other or just focusing on their thoughts, unaware of what they were about to live through, is most moving; having it all soundless, with just the music, was perfect.

Locke and the hatch, cyring over his constant failure to open it: the core of the series? Mystery, determination, sacrifice-- and a mysterious light.

Locke's life was a very sad one; when he found something (the Island) that made him whole again, physically and psychologically (sporitually, even), gave him faith and hope for himself, it turned out to be yet another trick that brought his fall back into despair (back in L.A., the hotel room) and ultimate end.

"The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham": Locke & Ben's scene. Two great characters brought to life by two excellent actors that shone on their own, outweighed anyone else, and were outstanding together. Locke's end is terrible.

("The Gathering" now playing: I didn't remember such beautiful moments on this CD).

"Ji Yeon": we knew some of the Lostaways had made it back to the U.S.A.; we now knew the non-Island segments were flashforwards; Sun is giving birth to Ji Yeon; Jin is running to buy a gift for a newborn before going to the hospital; and we discover the segments alternated between flashbacks and flashfowards, and see Jin's tombstone. A brilliant narrative structure that heightened the impact of already tragic news, learning that Jin would not make it.

("All's Forgiven... Except Charlie": I didn't remember this one either. I always had the vague impression that the albums of Seasons 2 & 3 had more suspenseful, creepy stuff.)

"There's No Place Like Home": the 4th season's finale had very exciting, suspenseful action music driven by a thrilling rhythm, and the score was emotionally powerful. I remembered Season 5's finale to have ben the same, but listening to the music on the CD, I found it was mostly a reprise of the previous season's finale, albeit with some new stuff.

"Not Penny's Boat": damn.

What a scene and what a twist and what a character's death!

"What About me"? "What about you?": after making Ben a creepy villain (much thanks to Emerson's portrayal) who always made things interesting (his ingenuity, his schemes, his improvisations, his lines), but, even better, the producers / writers managed to make us feel for him, showing how tragic his story was also, much like Locke's. Ben's downfall and frustration climaxed in his first and only encounter with Jacob, and their brief exchange was quite horrible for Ben.

("The Last to Know" ending, "Rose and Bernard" starting: I've been missing a lot by not playing Seasons 2 & 3 more; my misconception about his CD must have been the result of the wrong listening circumstances)

Rose and Bernard: a great, gentle couple, played by lovable actors. Not much screen time, but always an immense pleasure.

More later. Your turn, now.

Can I ask everyone on this board a huge favor? Following the outcome of the upcoming finale, could we all please keep all discussion and reactions in just this thread for the next few days? The finale doesn't air in Australia till about 48 hours after the US and I'd like to watch it unscathed but don't really want to avoid visiting JWFAN if I don't have to.

So please, no discussion in other threads, no spoilerific avatars or signatures... at least for a couple of days!

Cheers.

I couldn't agree more with this beautiful article.

Indeed.

I'm concidering whether to come in late for work or not. The whole thing starts here at 5 AM, the episode itself at 7 AM. I think I'll wait with it- it is not something I want to rush before work. I'm just wondering if it'll be possible to avoid spoilers for 10 hours or so...

I forgot to thank for the link to the article.

Here's another interesting one I'm reading right now, from the te L.A. Times as well. I have skipped the end of it, as they warned it featured a spoiler about a specific scene from the Finale.

Incidentally, I'll admit this: since the French channel holding the rights always broadcasts the series months after everyone else (though, surprisingly, they started about two weeks ago, this time; always 2-3 episodes at a time), since last year, I have been watching Lost, uh, through the Lighthouse's mirror ;) .

Therefore, as usual, I will watch the finale tomorrow.

Fret not: there is no doubt in my mind; I will buy the whole series when the complete set comes out on Blu-ray (I wonder if the American set will be "Region All"; the individual sets alternated between being "A" and "All", oddly).

As for preparations, I have also been using Lost wallpapers this week:

the "smiling 'Locke'" from the dinner picture for Season 6 (Tuesday through to Friday); the group picture from Season 5 (yesterday and today); tomorrow it will be a fan-made montage I found and liked-- here it is (I wonder why Eloise & Widmore are missing; pity):

lostlost117718331920108.th.jpg

ob_lost_001.gif

Can I ask everyone on this board a huge favor? Following the outcome of the upcoming finale, could we all please keep all discussion and reactions in just this thread for the next few days? The finale doesn't air in Australia till about 48 hours after the US and I'd like to watch it unscathed but don't really want to avoid visiting JWFAN if I don't have to.

So please, no discussion in other threads, no spoilerific avatars or signatures... at least for a couple of days!

Cheers.

I'll definitely be game for that, and I'd hope everyone else will be, too.

Another big moment, which I ought to have written about right away...

"The Constant": certainly of the best and most beautiful episodes of the series. A nice love story that did not come off as sappy.

The things that made this series constantly appealing, intellectually challenging and satisfying, and interesting:

- characterization; lots of attention paid to it, from the start, helped by very good to awesome casting; lots of evolution

- the series' evolution from one genre to another, and mixing thereof, which renewed it appeal by going different directions, alays surprising the audience: it started as a catastrophe-cum-Swiss Family story of survival on a supposedly desert Island, while immediately introducing a fantastic element (an unseen monster); the mysteries enshrouding many characters, sometimes involving crimes, made it a suspenseful detective story character-wise; this was compounded by the Island's mysteries; it veered into science fiction through different sorts of time travel; a philosophical/mystical/metaphysical angle was introduced

- narrative techniques; alternating between Island & non-Island plots, revealing information through flashbacks, introducing flashforwards in such a sly way the audience was unaware of it, then mixing flashback and flashforward for a greater impact; finally, flahsideways.

Has anyone made, or know of, a music "guide" to all the different themes used throughout the show?

EDIT: Nevermind looking through Lostpedia, I found it.

Thanks!

Yup yup...I'm not too fond of some of the directions that article has taken (or the other music-related articles), but I don't feel like keeping an eye on it anymore. :P It's too hard (and sometimes arbitrary) to keep track of every single theme. What would be more practical would be to make a guide to all the show's major themes, which is exactly what I intend to do at some point after the finale...preferably with a video camera and a piano.

IGN did a final interview with Lindelof and Cuse. They mentioned that there will be a feature on the DVD that will explain unanswered questions, for those that are curious. They also fully explained Aaron, who wasn't really special at all.

IGN: People tend to grab onto every aspect of this show, including things that might never have been intended to be a big mystery. Is there one that keeps coming back, where you're constantly amused people are putting a lot of importance into it?

Cuse: I think that there are a few kind of questions that surface, like are we ever going to see the Hurley Bird again. There was this huge bird flying around the island that made a cry that sounded like he was saying Hurley. We had just mentioned in the last couple of days that there's going to be a feature on the DVDs which will, sort of in an entertaining way, answer some of these questions that are unanswered. The show speaks for itself and it's not something anyone needs to see, but for people who are curious about some of these unanswered questions that fall into the category that you're talking about, then the DVD feature will be very enjoyable.

Lindelof: And then there are the Kate's plane phenomenon, where we actually think we've given a pretty good answer, but the question still is pervasive.

Cuse: "What are the polar bears?"

Lindelof: What are the polar bears, or, "What's the story withAaron?" And we go, okay, the story with Aaron is that a psychic told Claire that he was special, but then subsequently, in an Eko episode, we revealed that the psychic was a fraud. So people are like, "Why is Aaron special?" and we're like, "But, that wasn't true. That guy was a liar." "Well, why did The Others abduct him?" Well, the Others revealed that they abducted him because he was a baby born on the island, and they wanted to see if there was anything they could glean scientifically to solve their fertility issues.

And so there it is in the show, in black and white, but people still say, "So why is Aaron special?!" or, "What are you going to reveal about him?" Aaron became emotionally special, becauseKate ended up having to raise him and she ended up returning to the island to bring Claire back home. So that's why he's special. But if you're looking for the answer to, "What are his superpowers?" or "When will he finally deploy his laser eyes?", the answer is… the finale. He deploys his laser eyes in the finale.

Well, any special preparations you guys are doing?

I'll watch the Finale tomorrow night, as it will be broadcasted on local satellite television pay service. They're also airing the finale in simulcast with the Pacific broadcast at 6am, but I have to go to work tomorrow morning! I'll watch it in HD with videoprojector along with a couple of friends. During all tomorrow day I'll go all internet black-out, as I don't want to risk to have any spoilers (I just hope my work colleagues will not spoil anything! :P)

Kind of crazy... I never thought I would feel so excited for a TV show. But LOST is anything but ordinary.

But if you're looking for the answer to, "What are his superpowers?" or "When will he finally deploy his laser eyes?", the answer is… the finale. He deploys his laser eyes in the finale.

I knew it! :P

Does anyone have their top five favorite moments of the show? Maybe it's a bit premature to do this since it still isn't over yet, but I'll go ahead and give mine:

5) Opening - "The Incident"

4) Raft Launch - "Exodus"

3) Ending - "The Constant"

2) Ending - "Through the Looking Glass"

1) Ending - "Walkabout"

I was hoping to have time today to watch the pilot (the re-airing with the popup bubbles), as well as the most recent couple episodes that I never got to watch on my nice system at home (the girlfriend's tv is smaller & no surround). But alas, it wasn't meant to be. Starting the clip show now, then will go right into the finale. See ya'll in 3 1/2 hours