National Anthems

ashinyobject

What is your favorite national anthem? Albeit i haven't heard that many anthems, i'm biased towards The Star Spangled Banner, but i prefer it to be performed slowly and beautifully as opposed to the marchiness prefered by most Americans. I love Israel's national anthem. its really beautiful. could members of this prestigious board please refer me to anthems that i might enjoy?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In no particular order:

U.S.A. - The Star Spangled Banner

Italy - Fratelli D'Italia

France - La Marseillaise

England - God Save the Queen

Spain (don't know the name - I heard it so many times last year thanks to Fernando Alonso 8O )

Germany (don't know the name - in the past years I heard it so many times thanks to Michael Schumacher that I consider it as a kind of second Italian anthem 8O )

Be sure to check out the Jimi Hendrix's version of the American anthem, played live in Woodstock on Monday 18 August 1969. ;)

I would have to say Waltzing Mathilda! What a great song to have as an Anthem!

I only stand for God Save the Queen though.

Star Spangled Banner worked best as an old English drinking song. I always raise a glass when I hear it. 8O

I love the Marsaillesse, but I can't help thinking of Monty Python every time I hear it. The man with a tape recorder up his nose...

"...and now in stereo!"

I love the Marsaillesse, but I can't help thinking of Monty Python every time I hear it. The man with a tape recorder up his nose...

"...and now in stereo!"

Heheh.

I always just expected a chorus to start singing "Love, love, love... Love, love, love..."

I would have to say Waltzing Mathilda! What a great song to have as an Anthem!

I only stand for God Save the Queen though.

Star Spangled Banner worked best as an old English drinking song. I always raise a glass when I hear it. 8O

"...and now in stereo!"

Only in America can we turn a drinking song into a National Anthem! Actually, I'm very partial to JW's treatment of it. I've conducted in concert a few times and WOW!!! Just awesome...always gets a HUGE round of cheers.

To be honest, though, if I had my choice Sousa's Stars and Stripes Forever would be America's national anthem. America, internationally, is more identified with that march than with our own National Anthem.

Only in America can we turn a drinking song into a National Anthem!  Actually, I'm very partial to JW's treatment of it.  I've conducted in concert a few times and WOW!!!  Just awesome...always gets a HUGE round of cheers.

In England it always got a huge round of beers. 8O

You guys are out of your minds. 8O

THE National Anthem and the ONLY National Anthem that should be considered as THE greatest of all National Anthems in the whole history of National Anthems, is the Soviet National anthem. Of which the melody was resurrected for Russia by Putin in 2000. I have many versions of it, from the original quirky Red Army March of the 1930's that it was rooted in, to the unveiled 1944 version, the 1977 versions with lyrics revised, vocal only by the Red Army, Instrumental, joke versions, sweet versions. I never tire of it.

Russian National Anthem 2000

link removed

1977 Soviet Version

link removed

THE National Anthem and the ONLY National Anthem that should be considered as THE greatest of all National Anthems in the whole history of National Anthems' date=' is the Soviet National anthem. Of which the melody was resurrected for Russia by Putin in 2000. I have many versions of it, from the original quirky Red Army March of the 1930's that it was rooted in, to the unveiled 1944 version, the 1977 versions with lyrics revised, vocal only by the Red Army, Instrumental, joke versions, sweet versions. I never tire of it.

[b']Russian National Anthem 2000

link removed

1977 Soviet Version

link removed

wow, i like that a lot.

THE National Anthem and the ONLY National Anthem that should be considered as THE greatest of all National Anthems in the whole history of National Anthems' date=' is the Soviet National anthem. Of which the melody was resurrected for Russia by Putin in 2000. I have many versions of it, from the original quirky Red Army March of the 1930's that it was rooted in, to the unveiled 1944 version, the 1977 versions with lyrics revised, vocal only by the Red Army, Instrumental, joke versions, sweet versions. I never tire of it.

[b']Russian National Anthem 2000

link removed

1977 Soviet Version

link removed

Sounds like The Hunt for Red October.

However, I have a thing for the Galactic Empire's national anthem.

The most beautiful was east-Germany's anthem.

Too bad it doesn't exist anymore,the music I mean.

link removed

is this it?

Yes.

I have only heard it in the sport games, the orchestral version.

A little bit slower it really is beautiful.

This fast version with choir was quite ... declaring...

link removed

is this it?

Yes.

I have only heard it in the sport games, the orchestral version.

A little bit slower it really is beautiful.

This fast version with choir was quite ... declaring...

i still like it though.

link removed

is this it?

I don't know what it is, but it sounds very good to me!

Personally, I'm biased towards HaTikva, even if it is based on another melody.

Aside from that- The Soviet anthem is great, but I can't stand listening to theversions I've got for too long. That heavy chorus belting it out is a bit too heavy for the melody, I think (although I heard it live once, and it was an awe inspiring experience).

La Marsaillesse is good too, parodies and all.

I like most non-vocal versions I've heard of God Save The Queen (I love Queen's version).

I never liked the Star Spangled Banner. I'm far more partial to Stars and Stripes forever, or America The Beautiful. Much better anthems, IMO.

But, as I said, HaTikvah is by far my favorite, music and lyrics, though most versions available are too regal and too heavy. JW's version is one of the best I've heard.

It appeared in vocals only form, during the film.

Here are two other great Soviet Era anthems :

I like these two in particular, because they incorporate much of the resident sound. Although both have the usual Soviet militaristic tone, they unmistakably incorporate the flavour of the culture they were made for. Especially as Khachaturian wrote the Armenian one for his home country.

"Let them sing" ROTFLMAO

Anthem of Soviet Armenia (by Aram Khachaturian)

link removed

Anthem of Soviet Georgia (by Grigol Abashidze)

link removed

I must say - being British - that I'm rather surprised at the comparatively positive response to "God Save the Queen." For me it's hard to imagine a duller tune, even when enthusiastically arranged by Arthur Bliss. It sounds like something from a "Teach Yourself the Piano for Beginners" book. Give me Parry's "Jerusalem" any day. Great tune, and Blake's poem so much more than sycophantic patriotism.

I love the Israeli anthem after hearing JW's beautiful arrangement. Is the similarity to Smetana accidental?

It appeared in vocals only form' date=' during the film.

Here are two other great Soviet Era anthems :

I like these two in particular, because they incorporate much of the resident sound. Although both have the usual Soviet militaristic tone, they unmistakably incorporate the flavour of the culture they were made for. Especially as Khachaturian wrote the Armenian one for his home country.

"Let them sing" ROTFLMAO

[b']Anthem of Soviet Armenia (by Aram Khachaturian)

link removed

Anthem of Soviet Georgia (by Grigol Abashidze)

link removed

pm me the links

La Marselleise, and, quiet naturally A Portuguesa.

Latelly, i found that the anthem from this obscure eastern europe country, Krakosia or something, is quiet catchy :-)

As for the US anthem, never really liked it that much, untill I listned to Williams arrangement. I think Stravinsky also did one... have to check it out.

No more mp3's, please.

- Marc, :|

Sorry, but in "these" circumstances this rule is total bullshit .

They are national anthems, for God's sake.

I've never know a forum so damn restrictive :)

Threads closed, links removed, tut tuts, you name it.

No more mp3's, please.

- Marc, :|

Sorry, but in "these" circumstances this rule is total bullshit .

They are national anthems, for God's sake.

I've never know a forum so damn restrictive :)

Threads closed, links removed, tut tuts, you name it.

could you please pm me the links to the last 2?

I agree with Adam, the rules keep being broken almost everyday, and this is one rare occasion when we should pass on them. Talking about copyrights on National anthems is pretty pathetic. :shakehead:

Also, in the mp3 era, that rule is really stupid. It serves to try to cover a reality which can't be hide. Everyone knows that mp3s exists, it's absurd to try to avoid mp3 sharing, since it's impossible. We just have to live with it.

A lot of artists are against mp3s, but a lot of artists are pro. Who is against just have to stop thinkin' to the money exclusively! Look at Metallica. They fought against Napster. What they had? Millions of people (including ex-fans) has started hating them, Napster has closed but the reality is that they won nothing. Piracy or not, it's up to people.

I download a lot of mp3s, but it never happened that downloading a song or an entire album has stopped me for buying the actual CD.

In my opinion, nothing compares with going out, walk into a CD store, search your music, be happy to have found it, spend money for it, and return back home to enjoy it and the booklet. It's something that I just can miss.

Of course, since I started downloading full-albums, I avoided buying a lot of CDs I would have regrets on them. Doing this, I'm sure that I'll love what I'll buy.

It's also happened twice, that I waited a CD for so long, I walked into the store the day the CD was released, didn't find it, thought a lot of bad words, returned home quite pissed, downloaded the record, waited a week, and bought the CD.

Enought talking, end of the rant. :)

Where is this Vinson's arrangement? And where's Williams' version? And how they're called German's and Spanish's anthems (I don't know, as said in my first post).

Yeah I like to make questions. :|

Sweden´s (I can´t believe nobody mentioned it already) is of course the most heartwarming national anthem there is. From a pure musical standpoint though I adore the lovely anthem of the Czheck republik. The USA anthem I´ve never heard I think. But then again, I never watch CNN. :|

Where is this Vinson's arrangement? And where's Williams' version? And how they're called German's and Spanish's anthems (I don't know, as said in my first post).

Yeah I like to make questions. :|

ours doesnt have lyrics. Its a military march, and is just called Spanish Hymn. I think...