STAR WARS : Symphony for a Saga

Todd

Hey all... :|

Well its been quite a while since the original STAR WARS: Symphony for a Saga was released back here in April 2005. I'd like to thank everyone who supported the endeavor and passed along all the comments and feedback.

For those who don't remember, or don't know what I'm referring to, the old thread is here.

I took it to heart when people offered up their suggestions, and have always said I would return to the work at some point. After a bunch of set backs including the music video editor dropping out, I have returned to the project to finish it.

The first suite, The Phantom Menace, is finished! It was released a while ago, preceeded by a special single release of Jedi Master, Qui-Gon Jinn's Theme, and expanded cue from Version 1. With a runtime of 3:18 and 19 individual edits...I think its simply amazing.

tpmsinglecoversh6.th.jpg

Above is the single artwork for Jedi Master, Qui-Gon Jinn's Theme by artist Mike Malone.

"The Phantom Menace Suite"

Star Wars Main Title - 00:00 - 01:39

The Waters of Otoh Gunga - 01:39 - 02:15

Duel of the Fates - 02:15 - 04:17

Darth Maul - 04:17 - 05:05

The Trade Federation March - 05:05 - 06:58

Naboo and the Palace - 06:58 - 10:30

The Chosen One - 10:30 - 12:48

Anakin's Theme - 12:48 - 15:13

The Phantom Menace - 15:13 - 19:39

Jedi Master, Qui-Gon Jinn's Theme - 19:39 - 22:33

Release Date: 03/01/2006

Track Compiled and Edited: 06/07/05 - 02/17/06

(A total of 58 edits have been made)

The next suite, Attack of the Clones is finished! The single has been released, titled...Anakin and the Senator. Of course this title is supposed to recall the Original Trilogy romance of Han Solo and the Princess.

Anakin and the Senator is a brief, lovely theme than needed to be expanded. Hopefully all of you will enjoy it as much as I do. It has a runtime of 1:58, and has been comprised of only 9 edits (there wasn't much of this theme to work with). Hopefully this can stand as some sort of concert version of the theme.

aotcsinglecoverpr8.th.jpg

Above is the single artwork for Anakin and the Senator by artist Mike Malone.

"Attack of the Clones Suite"

Across the Stars - 00:00 - 02:27

Master Yoda's Lesson - 02:27 - 03:58

A Dangerous and Disturbing Mystery - 03:58 - 06:30

Attack of the Clones - 06:30 - 09:24

The Tatooine Interlude - 09:24 - 10:00

Anakin and the Senator - 10:00 - 11:51

To a Dark Place - 11:51 - 18:58

The Shroud of the Dark Side - 18:58 - 24:06

UPDATED! 1/30/08

A new single is completed! After far too long, the single for Revenge of the Sith: The Lava Planet is now complete!.

This theme required some creativity in the use of alternate and unreleased music. Much of the theme is unaltered. Now The Lava Planet serves as the back drop for the battle between Obi-Wan and Anakin. The Lava Planet has a runtime of 3:20.

rotssingle100dpijk9.th.jpg

Above is the single artwork for The Lava Planet by me! I waited far too long for Mike's artwork this time.

All music composed by John Williams

Performed by The London Symphony Orchestra

For those who bookmarked where the last one was found, download the latest or previous releases in 192 or 320 MP3...or FLAC. Anyone else, please drop me a PM.

ROTSv2 will be completed shortly!

The only thing I ask is for people to leave their comments. Don't be afraid that this is 'fan made', I have taken great care in its assembly. Just ask around...

Thanks!

Good work! I especially loved that Vader's theme at the end. The transition from the slower variation of the theme to the Duel in the Desert was good and I could not have thought a better one myself. Thanks for this piece!

Thank you very much for this piece of music! The last days, I've only listened to this music! It's beautiful at the beginning, then heroic in the middle and at the end simply sad! You've done great work, because you described the "live" of Qui-Gon Jinn perfectly!

THANK YOU

This is fantastic - I'm not familiar with Qui-Gon's theme very much as I don't watch the film and don't have the UE release of the score. The OST release has one statement of the theme that I can think of. So considering all of this, I don't know where one cue starts and the other ends as it's seamless enough to be a real concert piece. I can't wait to hear more.

Thank you so much for your feedback! For such a short piece, I did put quite a bit of time into it.

Thanks to those who helped me along the way with feedback like this.

Please, I know there are others who have listened to this, I would like to hear your feedback as well!

Very nice! Just listened to it and really enjoyed the piece. Extremely well assembled. Like muehlopwer mentioned, it does in just a few minutes cover Qui-Gon's entire part in the films. I like that aspect. Can't wait to hear the rest of the symphony!

I've just listened to it (headache almost gone) and playing it once again as I'm typing.

Excellent job! I haven't played the score sin a while, and am defintiely not as familiar with the new episodes as with the old ones, so there were few chances that I would be annoyed by my memory the cues and the way "it should continue".

This being said, the editing is indeed absolutely seamless.

(Just hit "Play" again)

19 edits? Gee, I can't count as many, when I guess most should be obvious. I love the opening "chimes".

It all flows very well-- though the action part is too short, but there's unfortunately little specifically "Qui Gonn" action music to work with.

Great great job, tlbauerle! This must have taken an awful lot of time-- spotting, planning, editing, checking, re-editing, ... ; just listening to one cue over and over to spot it or edit it must be extremely time-consumming. I've done very little editing, and pretty minor, and can imagine the hard work such a project as you've undertaken represents.

Good luck completing it, and congratulations for the little but already excellent work I've head!

obsw0001.gif

Just some random thoughts

I love that it opens with one of my favorite snippets from the TPM soundtrack. The transition between the opening statement in Anakin is Free to the duel with Maul music was pleasing to the ear also. The ending was also a surprise, as I fully expected to hear the funeral music at some point.

Overall, it's good stuff. Great job!

Overall an excellent effort. The first minute or so is suitably mysterious, setting up that area of the character. The edit at 1:00 is nice and smooth, and the next thirty seconds of music are followed by that brilliantly clever edit at 1:42ish. The battle music is unfortunately short (but that is the film's fault...), and the next edits into the choir and then funeral music are nice. The non-appearance of the choral funeral music is particularly well-handled, with the Imperial March and ending chords nicely mixed in. Overall, a superlative effort.

Thanks again...and for those who can't place the 19 edits...some pieces are transposed, abbreviated, repeated, and layered...to give it a nice full sound.

Most likely this is the piece I labored over the most...

WHOA! That is amazing! The whole thing is fantastic, but I really love the transition batmanand mentioned, at about 1:42. It was awesome. The ending was a real surprise, but very, very cool. If this is any indication of the rest of the Symphony, then we are definitely in for quite a treat!

Sweet.

You do expect the funeral music to come in at some point, but it's still a great piece. The action music kicking in is great. I look forward to hearing the whole thing.

In fact, I should maybe listen to version 1 again sometime. :thumbup:

Very nicely done Todd. 8O

You said you used 19 pieces? Wow... I was only able to pick out twelve of them...here are the ones I heard.

Watto's Deal

Bubble World

0:21-0:26-Unkown (underscore)

Death Of Maul

0:58-1:00-Unkown (underscore)

Anakin Is Free

Queen Amidala (from tail end of the cue)

Qui-Gon and Maul Meet

Qui-Gon's Funeral

Death Of Maul

Qui-Gon's Funeral (underscore)

Darth Vader's Theme (statement)

Very nicely done Todd. 8O

You said you used 19 pieces?  Wow... I was only able to pick out twelve of them...here are the ones I heard.

Watto's Deal

Bubble World

Death Of Maul

Anakin Is Free

Qui-Gon and Maul Meet

Qui-Gon's Funeral

Death Of Maul

I think it was 19 edits.

Thanks again for the comments everyone! I really appreciate it.

And yes...the 19 edits may include multiple uses of the same 'track'. I define edit everytime I either layer, fade, or blend tracks. Each 'edit' obviously consists of a volume fade out/in which can either be a simple fade or a multi-point complex fade.

There are also multiple volume edits made during the track to match volume levels. This mostly revolves around raising the lowest volume so it is not too quite, making it easier to hear/listen/enjoy. And this involves lowering the highest volume point to avoid clipping. Obviously original files are mastered so they won't clip, but when you put some layers in there, like the transition in the middle to Duel in the Desert, some clipping occurs.

Lastly...and I don't think I had much to do in this short file...was mastering. Eliminating tape hiss and some other high end noise, while boosting other frequencies to compensate w/ as little fidelity loss as possible. Only one section of The Phantom Menace really needed it...but AOTC, so far is all over the place and is a mastering nightmare!

So there is a lot more work involved in than just than fading from one track to another.

I used Sonic Foundry Acid 4.0.

To answer the question regarding the funeral music, yes it does come into its own at one point during the symphony. I wanted to avoid thematic repetition as much as possible, so it appears in one place. If you've heard v1 before you know where that one place is.

It should be noted that v2 is not going to be completely different than v1. Even in comparing the QUI-GON JINN single to that segment in the original, you can tell it is expanded, but also follows the original idea. That can be said for all of v2.

As it says on the website, this second version is to expand the original, fix bad edits, and resolve the sound quality issues...especially from the Prequel Disc. As far as the prequels go, TPM should be the most expanded and ROTS will be the most re-arranged. I was pretty pleased with AOTC last time, except for a few missing moments.

Ask away with other questions, if you like!

Thanks again for listening everyone! The feedback does a lot for boosting interest among other people, so if you have listened to it, please post some feedback. It doesnt' have to be positive, just honest! ;)

Very nice job! Although it takes a bit of getting used to, as it features music from so many different scenes. But generally, wonderful job! And it really showcases the power of the theme, a fully arranged orchestral version from Williams would be priceless!

--Pelzter

PS: The Vader quote at the end, where is it from exactly? I didn't recognise it?

Version one is in the archive of the site I am sending everyone too.

As for the Vader statement at the end...to give a hint: it is transposed much lower than it was recorded! :(

I'm listening it for the first time: the mixing and edits are very good, but there's only one disappointing thing.

Those 192 Kbps Mp3s sounds like 128!

Pity, I hope to have better quality for v2.0!

Very nicely done Todd. :|

You said you used 19 pieces?  Wow... I was only able to pick out twelve of them...here are the ones I heard.

Watto's Deal

Bubble World

Death Of Maul

Anakin Is Free

Qui-Gon and Maul Meet

Qui-Gon's Funeral

Death Of Maul

Here is my contribute to your breakdown:

1) Watto's Deal

2) Inside the Bubble City

3) Unknown (underscore)

4) The Death of Darth Maul

5) Unknown (underscore)

6) Anakin Is Free

7) Queen Amidala Warns the Federation (last segment)

8) Qui-Gon and Darth Maul Meet

9) Qui-Gon's Funeral (end)

10) Qui-Gon's Funeral (beginning)

11) The Death of Darth Maul

12) Qui-Gon's Funeral (underscore)

13) Anakin's Theme (or End Credits, it's the same), last segment, slowed down

Just thought I'd make a somewhat shameless bump...but also ask a question.

What download format did people use the most?

192 kbps MP3

320 kbps MP3

FLAC

I'd like to know before I start encoding TPM into various formats.

FLAC is basically a compressed / encoded wav file, so a higher quality audio fil than 320, but a lot bigger.

Just how different will this Phantom Menace suite be compared to the original?

-Ross, big fan of the original Prequel suites.

How different...about seven minutes worth through out. Better...well, cleaner edits through out. Just about the only parts untouched, that were perfect in TPM were THE CHOSEN ONE and ANAKIN'S THEME....although the end of that theme is a bit different.

For small spoilers, there are 10 tracks or segments. Last time there were seven. The single is one of those ten. One theme was added, another was cut in two.

Out of the original seven, only THE CHOSEN ONE is exactly the same. Everything else either features changes. Track order is pretty much the same.

For those that had problems with the DUEL OF THE FATES last time, I know I did...it is greatly improved.

TPM will be the most expanded out of all six suites.

Version 2.0 is officially here!!!

UPDATE!

"The Phantom Menace Suite"

Star Wars Main Title - 00:00 - 01:39

The Waters of Otoh Gunga - 01:39 - 02:15

Duel of the Fates - 02:15 - 04:17

Darth Maul - 04:17 - 05:05

The Trade Federation March - 05:05 - 06:58

Naboo and the Palace - 06:58 - 10:30

The Chosen One - 10:30 - 12:48

Anakin's Theme - 12:48 - 15:13

The Phantom Menace - 15:13 - 19:39

Jedi Master, Qui-Gon Jinn's Theme - 19:39 - 22:33

Release Date: 03/01/2006

Track Compiled and Edited: 06/07/05 - 02/17/06

(A total of 58 edits have been made)

All music composed by John Williams

Performed by The London Symphony Orchestra

For those who bookmarked where the last one was found, download either the suite or tracked version from there as 192 or 320 MP3...or FLAC. Anyone else, please drop me a PM.

No idea when AOTCv2 will be finished, so pretty please don't ask! :D

C'mon....after 43 downloads so far, someone has to have some feedback. That's all I ask for.

:|

Downloading it right now. I'll try to listen to it this afternoon and get back with my thoughts this evening sometime. So far I've enjoyed just reading the accompanying notes on the website. Definitely looking forward to the listen. Thanks again for the work, tlbauerle.

Thanks for commenting about the notes online. I wasn't certain if that was something that interested people or that people found beneficial or added to the experience in any way. I appreciate it, thanks!

BTW, is anyone having any difficulty with the new download site compared to megaupload?

It's a great suite, and awfully good mixes especially! Don't have time to post more right now but I'm really enjoying it :|