STAR WARS : Symphony for a Saga

Todd

COOL! I must say I need to get used to the edits you made, but it sounds good. I always like putting your concert suites as last track on my Prequel Trilogy Special Editions similar to the placement of "The Forest Battle" as last track on the RotJ special edition. So now I can finally complete my RotS special edition! ROTFLMAO

Nice work indeed. As Pieter said, I'll have to get used to some of the edits. Not because they're poorly done necessarily but because I'm a lot more familiar with Sith than I am Menace or Clones having worked on my own edit of Sith.

(BTW Pieter, sorry I haven't gotten back to you on that. I took a break during the holidays and then I've been busy with work and stuff. But I'm planning on cracking it out again soon.)

But I have to confess, I like your other two singles more. Your first single took all the best parts of Qui-Gon's theme and put them together in a nice little package providing a perfect 'hit' when I want a fix of his theme. Similar with Anakin and Padme's courtship theme. Not so much with this one. For me it's basically Anakin's Dark Deeds without my favorite part; the climax when he sheds a tear on Mustafar.

Although I do really like the final edit. A nice exit for that cue. I was having some trouble with that part for my own RotS complete edit. I might have to borrow it. :P

Still looking forward to your full RotS arrangement.

Thanks for your comments.

I agree that this single isn't as creative as the others, but I wanted to capture all the Mustafar music in one section. I had the same trouble not using the 'climax' music you mentioned. I couldn't ge the edit to work right. So I do have that music included in the ROTS, but it is the end of the piece just before THE LAVA PLANET.

Speaking of the last edit, that is the end strike from Battle of the Heroes transposed up a few steps. I thought it was a nice powerful end.

Some people may not like my edit of ROTS, as I have Battle of the Heroes appearing much earlier. In my mind, I see THE LAVA PLANET as music for the Obi-Wan / Anakin duel, and that is how it is used in the suite. I just need to cut the suite up into its tracked form, title everything and then get it on its way. I hope to have it out in a week or so. Depends on how much time I have to devote to it.

Hey Mark...

Thanks for renaming the thread!!!

FYI...

I've uploaded 320kbs tracked and suite versions of TPMv2 and AOTCv2. I also added a "Making of" article to the website. I get tons of questions about how I made it, and while most of you guys understand the process, hopefully someone will find it interesitng. There are a few spoilers in terms of section titles for the ROTSv2 suite in the article, too.

Thanks again to those who have PMed or emailed their comments. I appreicate it!

Well everyone...

For some reason I stayed up tonight geting ROTSv2 prepped for release. I'm so dang tired now...

BUT anyways...I am proud to present to you the last piece in the Prequel puzzle of Symphony for a Saga v2. Right now it is uploaded in 192 and 320 kbps MP3 files, both suite and tracked versions. I will be uploading FLAC versions of all the suites over the weekend.

PLEASE stroke my ego a bit and drop me some feedback and lets discuss this or the other two suites. Marc...you better listen to all three now. Its only been two years. ;)

In all honesty, I think how people respond to these suites is going to determine if I'll redo the second disc. But maybe thats just me being tired.

Anywho...I release it to you and await your critiques!!!!

For anyone who doesn't know what this is all about, PM me for a download link.

Thanks for your comments.

I agree that this single isn't as creative as the others, but I wanted to capture all the Mustafar music in one section. I had the same trouble not using the 'climax' music you mentioned. I couldn't ge the edit to work right. So I do have that music included in the ROTS, but it is the end of the piece just before THE LAVA PLANET.

Speaking of the last edit, that is the end strike from Battle of the Heroes transposed up a few steps. I thought it was a nice powerful end.

Some people may not like my edit of ROTS, as I have Battle of the Heroes appearing much earlier. In my mind, I see THE LAVA PLANET as music for the Obi-Wan / Anakin duel, and that is how it is used in the suite. I just need to cut the suite up into its tracked form, title everything and then get it on its way. I hope to have it out in a week or so. Depends on how much time I have to devote to it.

Impressive, though I find it difficult to understand why you have omited BotH tune. I believe there will be more of it in the complete suite, though. Keep doing the stuff, it's very good.

Battle of the Heroes is in the Revenge of the Sith suite. I was just saying that it is moved to the middle of the suite.

You can download the Revenge of the Sith suite, now at the website.

Battle of the Heroes is in the Revenge of the Sith suite. I was just saying that it is moved to the middle of the suite.

You can download the Revenge of the Sith suite, now at the website.

I listened to the RotS suite and all I can say is I'm impressed again. You managed to capture the spirit of the score while presenting it in slightly different, but equally interesting way. I like all the edits. Implementation of unrelased music (which lacked in AotC Suite) was also very warmly welcomed. Great job overall:)

Thanks so much for your comments. These edits took a whole lot of time.

To recap, there were 58 edits used in TPMv2, 46 edits in AOTCv2, and a whopping 81 edits in ROTSv2.

All three suites do have unreleased music in them, but you're right, AOTC suite was barely noticable. If there was more unreleased music available, I think I could have found a way to add more.

Thanks for dropping me a line!

Thanks a lot for all of the work on this. I haven't listened to these in quite a while and just heard your ROTS single a few days ago. Loved it. Now much to my surprise the full ROTS suite is already available! Burning a CD right now of the entire prequel set and looking forward to the drive home. Very enjoyable stuff. Great job!

Just listened to all three suites back to back. What an experience that was. The same music I've loved for years with a great new presentation. The editing and arrangements are very well crafted indeed.

A great way to enjoy the music especially in one sitting and if you don't want to tread through the entire scores for each movie. Highly recommended.

Thanks so much for the compliments, guys. I'll be looking forward to your review sandman.

Marc, could you take the liberty again?

Just a shameless bump now that Mark renamed the subtitle to let people know that ROTSv2 is complete. I haven't had many downloads yet, its been surprisingly few by comparison to the hundreds of times TPMv2 and AOTCv2 were downloaded.

Please let me know what you thought and if I should continue with the OT.

Again, this is an impressive bit of editing and creative work. I very much enjoyed the ROTS Symphony. Moving themes around made them come more alive than they've become in listening to the chronological score.

I have to agree with JDan about the single, though. As part of the symphony, "The Lava Planet" works really well, but as a stand-alone single, it's not as interesting as the previous two. Still, the editing is top notch.

And, yes, please, continue with the OT.

Cheers,

Don

Great work, tlbauerle! Really enjoyed your ROTS suite! I agree with Qui-Don. While I enjoyed the Lava Planet single, it did work even better in its place as part of the suite. I also enjoyed your new take on the Immolation Scene. It was a nice change from what everyone has gotten used to.

The only part that sounded kind of awkward to me was the transition into the I Am the Senate material. (I'm guessing that may be part of the switch over to the unreleased quality material) BUT, that was soon forgotten by the excellent transition then into Battle of the Heroes! I actually really liked your placement of that section earlier in the suite and that edit definitely made me smile.

Another part of these I really enjoyed as I listened to the entire Prequel Symphony together is how well the music carries over from one suite to the next. I never felt like I had just finished "Track *" and now was starting "Track *". The flow between episodes worked very well.

Overall, I think you've done outstanding work on these and I loved listening to them (still listening in fact!) I certainly hope you continue into the OT suites and I greatly look forward to hearing them!

Thanks for the fantastic work and a great listen!

I also enjoyed your new take on the Immolation Scene. It was a nice change from what everyone has gotten used to.

Glad you liked that section. I was really worried people maybe wouldn't like that piece and the key changes. I like the build, quite a bit...and it fits so well after The Lava Planet.

The only part that sounded kind of awkward to me was the transition into the I Am the Senate material. (I'm guessing that may be part of the switch over to the unreleased quality material) BUT, that was soon forgotten by the excellent transition then into Battle of the Heroes! I actually really liked your placement of that section earlier in the suite and that edit definitely made me smile.

I assume you are mentioning the choir portion right before the I Am The Senate. That was a little shady, but I thought the quality wasn't that bad, and I did my best to master it.

As for Battle of the Heroes, I'm glad you like that positioning. That excites me to hear you enjoyed that surprise!

Thanks so much for the compliments....it gives me the juice to work on the OT.

Thanks, AJ!

Your Welcome :blink:

I've listened to Attack of the Clones and The Phantom Menace Suites, there very cool too :D

I do like the Qui-Gonn Music together thats very cool :P

I do like Revenge Of The Sith as a whole suite more than the other two but thats only a little bit. ;)

Thanks again, AJ.

FYI...File Front pulled the FLAC files yet again. I'm not sure I'll upload them again. It takes forever and they get deleted so quickly.

I managed to finish listening to them yesterday and I must say I'm most impressed with the execution of the edits. I do wish that the flag parade had made it in there though.

Thanks...I find it extremely interesting that The Flag Parade is the most requested piece of music for TPM.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just finished listening to your ROTS suite. The transition into 'Battle of the Heroes' was fantastic and the re-edit of 'The Immolation Scene' in 'Consumed By Darth Vader' by adding the key changes worked brilliantly! :)

Thanks again, AJ.

FYI...File Front pulled the FLAC files yet again. I'm not sure I'll upload them again. It takes forever and they get deleted so quickly.

I t would be nice if you did reupload them, because I forgot to download the tracked versions in FLAC. :|

Edit: I forgot to mention, I also like how all 3 suites can fit on 1 CD :D

Thanks for the compliments. Glad you liked those key changes, too. It was quite risky, and took me a long time to get used to.

I'll have to find some other hosting option for those flac versions. FileFront times out way too much to upload them...several times.

The idea when I started on the first version was to have all six suites on one album. I may still do that one, but that would be some short suites.

Outstanding effort!! Your creative edits really do make for such a seamless musical tapestry of the Prequel Trilogy, embodying the spirit of the mythology that is Star Wars! :P

One thing I noticed on your site is that the links for A New Hope and Return of the Jedi were disabled due to inactivity, any chance you could reload those suites as I would love to hear your take on the Original Trilogy.

Thank you for such an enjoyable listening experience! :o

I am planning to go back and rework the OT, like I did for the PT. It may take quite a while, but I'm hoping it will eventually get done.

Glad you liked it.

• 11 months later...

Finally, eventually is here.

The single for ANHv2, "A New Hope" is finished and ready for download. If you remember where it is, go get it. Expect the suite to follow soonly-ish.

How do I get these symphonies? In this thread, and in the Prequel Music Resource thread, I see tracks listed and what-not, but never any links.

Excellent. Glad to see this project is still alive! I listened to the single and the OT preview earlier today and really enjoyed the both of them. I'll definitely be listening to both of them closer this weekend to fully appreciate them.

Thanks for the continued work!

I stupidly downloaded the FLAC version of TPM too late to remember that my iPod doesn't support that file type. Now, when I try to delete the FLAC version folder, it says that I can't. Any ideas why?

I stupidly downloaded the FLAC version of TPM too late to remember that my iPod doesn't support that file type. Now, when I try to delete the FLAC version folder, it says that I can't. Any ideas why?

no idea. maybe the file is in use?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

Thanx for the link! You've surely made some excellent work putting this together and it makes for a great listening!

So far, I've only listened to the TPM-suite and it it sort of like listening to a better-shorter version of the original CD.

Reading through your notes though, I can't help but wondering why you decided to expand the track "The Phantom Menace" when completing v2 - sure it's the beginning of the plot for the rest of the five movies but thematically it doesn't quite hold up to the rest of the suite.

But, all-in-all, it's a bang-up job! I can't wait until you get crackin' on the original trilogy..... ; )

Hello again!

Just finished listening to the AOTC-suite, and man - what a thrill!

You surely have a knack for keeping it all together with your straight-to-the-point editing. I have to say the edits are flawless!

If one is to come with any critisism, it's that some tracks are a bit too long and brooding ("A Dangerous and Disturbing Mystery" (I was intrigued that this one was lenghtened for v2 - same problem I had with the TPM-suite which makes me curious to find out what v1 sounded like) and "To A Dark Place" but other than that it's great.

Can't wait to sink my teeth into ROTS!

Back again.... This has actually been three separate entries but it shows up as one in the forum I've noticed.

So I've listened to ROTS and I'm again blown away.

It sure is a fun listen, a 30-minute journey into the world of star wars and John Williams, highlighting the stuff that's superb and leaving out all that isn't.

I more or less have the same complaints about ROTS as I did with TPM and AOTC - it becomes a little bogged down by some "dark" music, especially in the track "Revenge of the Sith" where it looses its pace.... but other than that: stunning!

I've also listened to your OT-preview, and man, did you do a good job squeezing those 6 hours into just four and a half minute! It's a feels a little rushed for an old John Williams-aficionado, but it surely makes you want to hear a more fleshed out version for each film as the ones you've made for the PT.

Can't wait to hear those! And after that, how about making slightly shorter versions so that it would all fit into one disc.... I guess that would be about 13 min / movie, so you'd have to omit quite a lot of music from each suite.... But, as you've proven with the OT-preview you're certainly the man for the job, and I for one feel confident that you'd make the right decisions and the result would be beyond cool.... We're never satisfied, are we? ; )

But I digress....

I really want to thank you for putting all this time and effort into creating your "Symphony For A Saga." I'm sure it's quite a daunting task filled with painstaking attention to detail, but your work surely shows. Thank you.

Thanks for all your comments and praises. Sometimes this is a tireless work to get the edts smooth and right.

A lot of the longer, or possibly less dynamic pieces were created out of my desire to use my favorite pieces of underscoring and give them more prominent focus. Also, there are a few musical ideas that I wanted to express, and in trying to weave everything together, I used a lot of different musical elements and cues to get it to work. The Phantom Menace, and Revenge of the Sith sections really come to mind about working those pieces out. Does that make sense?

My original idea was to be a bit more to the point with this project, and create a single CD from all six films. Perhaps an edited version may come out in the future, but that is such a difficult task...getting a 13 minute suite that feels full. I'm sure that project would be highly successful if completed.

• 6 months later...

So, since the last thing available was the A New Hope "Preview".... I was just wondering if anything was still coming along on the full suite?

I understand real life being a drag and stuff, so I just thought I'd check. Was listening to the prequel saga this evening and reminded me of it.

Thanks again for the enjoyable listen!

• 5 months later...

And a year and a half later...

...Here's the funny one. I have ANHv2 done in rough form. I think its great...I just need to actually sit down and mix it.

Sorry nothing has been done in quite a while.

Hey man, no apologies. This stuff takes time and there are certainly plenty of things to take up time.

Glad to hear from you though. I had actually checked the website a few times recently as well and as afraid I'd be listening to the preview from now on.

Take your time and look forward to hearing it one day.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man, no apologies. This stuff takes time and there are certainly plenty of things to take up time.

Glad to hear from you though. I had actually checked the website a few times recently as well and as afraid I'd be listening to the preview from now on.

Take your time and look forward to hearing it one day.

Even the preview seems to be gone now. And I never heard it. :P

• 6 months later...

So... after coming across a disc today with these suites on them I decided on a whim to look for this topic. Sadly, no news for quite some time. I really enjoyed these suites and was looking forward to the OT versions but alas... apparently it was not to be. I guess we should pretty much consider this project finished? If so, thanks again for all the hard work in creating the ones that we have. I'll still enjoy those!