Nominated Scores and/or Winning Scores?

Director

I was just wondering if any of you buy a score simply because it was nominated or had actually won? By any composer, not just Johnny.

Dan - about to buy Marc Shaiman's nominated score to The First Wives Club and Silvestri's (non-nominated) Richie Rich

:music: "In Court/Childhood" from The Affair Of The Necklace (D. Newman)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:oops: ...and I lost The First Wives Club because I took too long to bid. How depressing. But I won Richie Rich!! :D

Dan - whose losing the first could be a blessing in disguise, for he has found a cheaper one that will end in a few days. :)

:music: "Minister Of Titles/On The Lake" from The Affair Of The Necklace (D. Newman)

Nope, I have got scores because other people said they were good though.

Morn - Who doesn't trust the academy

Yeah, I can't bring myself to buy "Titanic," even though I must encounter half a dozen used copies per week. Don't forget, "The Wizard of Oz" won, and Herbert Stothart (who had nothing to do with the songs) sucks. One of the biggest hacks in the business. He makes Horner seem like Gustav Mahler. "Oz" -- released in 1939, against "Wuthering Heights," "Gone With the Wind," "The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex," and so many other classic scores -- is a disgusting precursor of the more recent Disney monopoly. If people can remember the songs, the score wins, even if it's by a completely different composer!

Figo, who owns many scores from 1939, but will never buy "Oz," no matter how much respect he has for Harold Arlen.

I just buy scores, no matter of if they're nominated or awarded anything. LOL.

I buy them because of composers, films, nominations/awards, etc.

Dan - fan of film music

:mrgreen: "The Legend of the Pianist" from The Legend Of 1900 (Morricone)

Me too!

Dan - who remembers telling himself he would buy the score as the opening scenes to Dinosaur and Gosford Park played.

Dan2 - celebrating 400 with a fanfare

:music: "Liberty Fanfare"

The only other composer I'm thinking about purchasing is Arnold. I might do it, but then again, I'm happy and content with my Williams goodies. ALL of them!!!

~Harry, who got some from beating out Dan :music:

We should share scores. That'll be fun, no? I have plenty that I'm sure you two haven't heard.

Dan - who loves to share

:music: "57th Street" from The Devil's Advocate (Howard)

Some of his early stuff. I haven't heard all of SpaceCamp, nor the full score to Born On The Fourth Of July and ...The Last Crusade. Everything else, I own and treasure.

Dan - proud of his huge collection

:music: "Overture" from The Cowboys

I just buy scores if I like them, or if I am interested by them. I don't care if they are nominated or win anything, because I would have very few scores if I bought ones that only won awards. Even despite that, I still have few scores. My collection is gradually growing.

-Jason

About 300 scores or so, plus aobut 120 classical music scores.

We're probably pretty close, as far as film scores are concerned (haven't counted in quite a while), but needless to say, I dwarf you in the classical department.

Figo, terrified at the prospect of having to move.

No, I can't. Thousands. They line an entire corridor. I will try to give you an estimate, when the time comes to pack them up. :baaa:

Wow, Figo. So you like classical music, huh? (Don't worry.....that was a rhetorical question.)

Ren -- oh, c'mon! Go for it! :(

Dan - who owns over 400 film scores and just got another 2 today

I have.......let me count......

I have 81 film scores and 29 non-score discs of Johnny. Not to mention 5 LPs.

Dan - who has made a shrine for his collection in his office

To give an exact count I'd have to do an exact count and that would be a lot of work, considering the mix of formats that I have.