The Godfather

I just bought the Part II CD and am loving it despite some tape hiss and (understandable) overall lack of sound quality here and there.That, and the 30+min running time. Just wondering, does anybody here have all 3 scores and are they hard to find?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have them all and they are not hard to find even here in Finland. The third is the weakest of the lot IMO with very little new music. Carmine Coppola just recycles many of Rota's themes. The only thing bothering me in the releases is the sound that you already mentioned. There are several rerecordings out there of the whole trilogy but I have no idea how are the performances.

As a side note I think that the Immigrant theme is absolutely wonderful. 8O

I don't have Part III, but I have 1 & 2. I haven't listened to it/seen the film for a while, but could someone tell me: is the music straight after Vito's shooting from The Godfather on the CD?

cant remember really. the last time i saw the films were 3 years ago. wont be suprised if it isnt though, what with the lousy running time. dang, these scores deserve an expanded remastered release! 8O

I don't think they're hard to find, I've seen all 3 recently and also a recording with music from all 3 movies. Parts I and II are excellent but I haven't listened to part III. Part II is my favorite, I think it was the first non-Williams score I ever bought. I love the theme that is first heard when Vito is arriving to America, I'm not sure what the theme is for though since it's used on both storylines (Vito's and Michael's).

cant remember really. the last time i saw the films were 3 years ago. wont be suprised if it isnt though, what with the lousy running time. dang, these scores deserve an expanded remastered release! 8O

I hope they get one, though I'm not expecting anything until they've been out of print for a while.

On CD, I might agree, but it fits the film perfectly.

You're absolutely right - and that's how you measure whether a score works...

well if this is pt 2 then why didn't u put that in the title,

as a score pt 2 is wholey unworthy of the Oscar, the Towering Inferno was clearing, and is clearly a superior score.

the Godfather game from EA is out and supposedly uses music from the film. am i getting my hopes too high that it would be of better quality than the CD? (the sound that is)

Why, was Michael Giacchino busy?

I guess they thought Conti deserved to work for once ;) Has he done anything recently?

Just got the game. None of the actual film's music is seems to be used (so far) though the main menu features a rerecording of the Love theme which is pretty identical to the original in terms of orchestration. The new music fits in pretty well and features quite a number of variations of the 3 main themes weaving in and out of them.

I'd say its pretty good. Still early in the game but I'd say I'd score it at leat 7.5/10. it doesnt seem to be quite as good as Mafia and the car physics are pretty arcadey (more GTA than Mafia). The extortions are pretty cool but the controls for the PC version are quite awkward as they are designed for a controller. Graphics are overall decent ranging from bland textures to a brilliant Brando model. Also if I'm not mistaken most if not all the cast return with their likeness and voices, except for Michael who due to licensing reasons with Pacino, doesnt look nor sound like Pacino. If you can get it on a console or get use a controller for the PC (which has hte sharpest graphics

Actually he'd be missing Pacino's fine performance as the aging Michael, some damn good acting by Andy Garcia, Eli Wallach's brilliant Don Altobello.

Not to mention the stunning emotional climax to not just the third film, but the trilogy.

Godfather III may not be a masterpiece, but it's very...very underrated.

Actually he'd be missing Pacino's fine performance as the aging Michael, some damn good acting by Andy Garcia, Eli Wallach's brilliant Don Altobello.

Not to mention the stunning emotional climax to not just the third film, but the trilogy.

Godfather III may not be a masterpiece, but it's very...very underrated.

Agreed, but as you know, I was talking about the score. :)

What do you think of the score?

anyway i think the game overuses the love theme a bit. I mean, where the theme has only ever appeared in the Sicily scenes in the movie, here its like...every few minutes u get some sort of quote of it (with varying variations). same goes for the waltz and to a lesser extent, the 'Halls of Fear' theme. heck, Conti even adapted quotes of the love theme into the action material!

I saw a trailer for the game on TV yesterday - and it had a pretty bizarre (but good) arrangement of the love theme. I guess that might be the one...