About Thor

Contact Methods

• Website URL
    http://www.celluloidtunes.no

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

13889 profile views
  1. SPIELBERG, Upcoming HBO documentary

Yes, I would love to see a fifth Indiana Jones that was more in the style of the YOUNG INDY series. That is, less about the action stunts, and more about character relations. Would probably disappoint a lot of people expecting the "Indiana Jones formula", but it would be a much better film. There were elements of this in the first half of KOTCS.
  2. Really looking forward to this, as it seems right up Doyle's alley. I hope to see the movie in a 70mm screening later this month.
  3. SPIELBERG, Upcoming HBO documentary

Agreed. As I said in another thread, I think the film is REALLY good up untill they get to Peru. And yes, that includes Shia Labouef, who is fine in this film. Never understood the issue people had with him either.
  4. I'd say the Yo Yo Ma album is also essential, as it captures that whole Yo Yo Ma/cello fetish that John Williams had throughout much of the 2000s. And FIVE SACRED TREES, since it contains Williams' best concerto to date.
  5. SPIELBERG, Upcoming HBO documentary

Nobody is "mistaken" here. We're just interpreting the statement differently. I don't agree with your interpretation. I think it's more a reflection of his own view on projects that trigger him than any kind of arrogant statement that success was guaranteed, because he's the best director who ever lived. That's a too cynical way to look it. Again, I urge you to watch the documentary, where he goes into some of this. Don't be ridiculous. Nobody said that. It was my way of expressing the type of "mood" I often see in these discussions. It was fairly obvious.
  6. Those are the two best albums.
  7. SPIELBERG, Upcoming HBO documentary

I think you may be misinterpreting his words. It's more that it provides no artistic challenge for him, personally. He's not interested in cashing in on already existing cash cows this way. HARRY POTTER was already a phenomenon before the first movie was ever announced. He's adapted popular books before, of course, but not like this. So I can perfectly well understand his sentiment. It's better to pick the projects that appeal and challenge you on a personal level. There's absolutely nothing "douchey" about this. It's just common sense. He's not saying "I would have made this absolutely brilliant", he's saying "there is nothing here that triggers me, and I'm not interested in adapting something that is set to be a success because of the book's popularity".
  8. SPIELBERG, Upcoming HBO documentary

Not at all. It makes perfect sense. He's never been one to "cash in" on established, popular titles. The popularity of some of his films have been a by-product, not a goal. He actually goes into this in the documentary. The one time he DID think sorta like that, i.e. "I'm the king of the world, I can do anything -- even a comedy -- and succeed", he failed miserably (1941).
  9. SPIELBERG, Upcoming HBO documentary

Indeed. Also the first director to come to mind. But I'll reserve judgement untill I've seen it.
  10. I've never really "collected" Williams' pianist/arranger/conductor albums, although several have dropped into my collection over the years -- mostly out of curiousity value or because generous fans have given some to me. Of the albums listed above, I own these in physical CD format: 2 Star Wars Trilogy (Skywalker Symphony) 3 The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration (BPO) 11 Williams on Williams (BPO) 12 Summon the Heroes (BPO) 13 The Five Sacred Trees album (London SO) 18 American Journey (Utah SO/ LA orchestra) 19 Yo-Yo Ma Plays The Music Of John Williams (LA orchestra) A couple of the others, I have in digital format only -- like Spielberg/Williams III. But I've been aware of all them since the 90s, and have always said "if I'll find one of them for cheap, I'll pick it up". But it's never happened, and I find it hard to justify putting down the dough for this given that I'll end up with 8 duplicates.
  11. SPIELBERG, Upcoming HBO documentary

Well, they are if the opinions are well-founded. But all too often, they're ripe with sweeping generalizations and an inability to evaluate a work on its own, individual terms. This goes for all discussions I've seen on this topic, btw, not only here on JWFAN.
  12. SPIELBERG, Upcoming HBO documentary

I largely agree with this sentiment. It seems like Spielberg has lost some of that "childful glee", while simultaneously being more sophisticated with darker material. But I hope I'm wrong, and that he'll make another good blockbuster romp at some point. Whether that is READY PLAYER ONE or something else. I've never understood the pervasive cynicism I often see in such discussions ("He's lost it! He hasn't made a good film in 20 years! He's too old! The party is over; everybody go home!").
  13. SPIELBERG, Upcoming HBO documentary

My favourite Kaminski remains A.I. That film is a masterpiece on so many levels, including the cinematography. And so perfectly fit for his sensibilities.
  14. SPIELBERG, Upcoming HBO documentary

Yeah, I think it was about as close as such an idiosyncratic cinematographer as Kaminski was going to get Slocombe's style. But I agree with Disco Stu that a more "brighter-coloured" cinematographer might have been a wise choice. Dean Cundey would have been great for that. Or Allen Daviau, had he been alive.