The Battle of the Five Armies SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

gkgyver

The biggest laugh I heard from the audience at my screening of The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies came from seven words in the end credits: “Based on the novel by J.R.R. Tolkien.”

Well, fanboys will be fanboys. And Tolkien will spin a lot more in his grave when it's released to the public.

Also...

Caveat: The author is not opposed to swords and elves and shit.

ROTFLMAO

The film is great. If you disliked the previous two though you're probably going to be disappointed here again. The first 2/3s are excellent as reported but the guy on TORn was very harsh on the final 1/3 which, Legolas aside, isn't as bad as he said. Then again, the Legolas stuff isn't as bad as he said either. It's a pretty solid film.

Ironfoot doesn't play during the end credits. Instead there's a suite which follows Boyd's song. It starts with Woodland Realm stuff but covers Dragon Sickness, Laketown, Bard, Shire, and more that I've forgotten. It's quite nice. There's other music missing on the OST also. There's a nice version of the Erebor music which is used as source music in the film near the very end.

The ending is perfect.

The film is great. If you disliked the previous two though you're probably going to be disappointed here again. The first 2/3s are excellent as reported but the guy on TORn was very harsh on the final 1/3 which, Legolas aside, isn't as bad as he said. Then again, the Legolas stuff isn't as bad as he said either. It's a pretty solid film.

The scene when Thorin faces his Golden Demons, is it scored? and is the score on the OST?

The scene when Thorin faces his Golden Demons, is it scored? and is the score on the OST?

I only listened to the OST twice before seeing the film. As far as I remember it IS scored (Dragon Sickness mostly) and I don't think it is on the OST but it very well could be.

There's an earlier Arkenstone quote in the film which isn't present on the OST afair.

Ironfoot doesn't play during the end credits. Instead there's a suite which follows Boyd's song. It starts with Woodland Realm stuff but covers Dragon Sickness, Laketown, Bard, Shire, and more that I've forgotten. It's quite nice. There's other music missing on the OST also. There's a nice version of the Erebor music which is used as source music in the film near the very end.

The ending is perfect.

Is the Dol Guldur sequence satisfying?

The ending is perfect.

Is the Dol Guldur sequence satisfying?

I thought it was better than reported. Galadriel banishes Sauron (he goes to the East). Elrond wants to warn Gondor to set up a watch but Saruman says there's no need as he doesn't have the One Ring. He tells him to take Galadriel because she's pretty spent after the fight and he says "Leave Sauron to me". Gandalf and Radagast are gone at this point.

It was cool to see Galadriel lose it.

I thought the Ringwraiths looked cool but I haven't seen the online clip people were complaining about.

I didn't think it was possible to tear up over a line like "tea is at 4 o'clock" but I did.

Freeman is excellent in the final third. I mean, he's excellent in general but he's brilliant here.

I think it is purely because of Thorin and Bilbo. Freeman was brilliant, as you'd expect, and he really sells everything that happens. Although he does get knocked out for some of the battle he feels a lot more present than he did in the previous two. Naturally there are parts where he disappears for a bit (not just because of a magic ring) but I think that's natural in a big battle. I'd give a definitive ordering in 12 months maybe :P

So how would you rate this for moderate Tolkien purists? Absolute torture or will there be any hope we'll enjoy this?

There are some lovely moments and lines verbatim from the book which I greatly enjoyed.

The Tolkien purist thing bugs me because I've read those books a million times and love the obscurer stuff just as much as the rest of you. I appreciate the fact that changes have to be made in an adaptation like this and it;s PJ so things will be done to make it look cool. Morgoth and Angmar get mentioned by name on screen so that was pretty cool.

In the end this trilogy doesn't reach the heights of TLotR but then, I never expected it to.

It's a good fun film, watch it as such and there should be plenty to enjoy. I think you'll see it along the lines of AUJ more than DoS.

You'll hate Legolas though. The bits about his mother are contained in two scenes and are pretty short. Not a major plot point.

PJ has no cameo, at least none that I saw but that doesn't mean anything. I'm sure he's in there at some point.

The horn that Bombur blows doesn't actually feel like a link back to Gimli in TTT. It sounds very different too. Almost musical. Almost.

OK. I'll go see it a bit lighter heart next week then. If the soundtrack is anything to go by there is going to be some awesome things in this film. :)

I don't think the ending is rushed either. It's pretty short in comparison to RotK but it focuses on Bilbo and it's a lot tighter. The RotK ending is more fitting for the final film in this 6 film series. TBotFA wraps the Hobbit up quite nicely and moves things on into Fellowship :)

I don't think the ending is rushed either. It's pretty short in comparison to RotK but it focuses on Bilbo and it's a lot tighter. The RotK ending is more fitting for the final film in this 6 film series. TBotFA wraps the Hobbit up quite nicely and moves things on into Fellowship :)

Ah that is nice to hear. :)

Btw do we get most of the music from the finale apart from end credits?

Ah that is nice to hear. :)

Btw do we get most of the music from the finale apart from end credits?

There and Back Again plays in full if that's what you mean.

Hmmm, that's harder to answer. The Erebor source music is obviously missing but I don't think there's too much else missing. I think The Return Journey and There and Back Again pretty much cover it.

The title card for the film is shown over the gates of Erebor. Not the shot of the people of Laketown walking over the hills away from the smoldering ruin that was assumed.

Are we missing much battle music do you recall? Does Dain's theme from 'Battle for the Mountain' play in full?

And is the moment of Thorin's charge from Erebor scored as heard in 'Sons of Durin', with House of Durin followed by Thorin's theme? They haven't removed the grunting or choral parts?

Smaug's theme. It's on the album. Starts about 0:53 in Fire and Water. The Shire theme would have been really out of place. The first scene could literally have been the next scene in DoS.

These are my tickets from last night by the way. I wish all cinema tickets had this much effort put into them! Last years were equally as cool.

954828_10204366837284716_269099360581720

Definitely! It shall now live in a little drawer where I keep all my concert tickets. Kinda bummed I don't have the full set now as I had to wait and see AUJ on opening night :lol:

Can you give me time stamps? It'll be easier for me!

As far as I know all that stuff is there though.

Right - 1:00-2:08 of 'Battle for the Mountain', and then the first couple of minutes or so of 'Sons of Durin', until the end of the grand rendition of Thorin's theme.

I also wanted to know if there was music between the House of Durin and Thorin's themes in the film. I'd be surprised if they went into one another like that, given there's apparently a scene where Thorin and Dain meet up and briefly discuss their plan.

Can you give me time stamps? It'll be easier for me!

As far as I know all that stuff is there though.

Right - 1:00-2:08 of 'Battle for the Mountain', and then the first couple of minutes or so of 'Sons of Durin', until the end of the grand rendition of Thorin's theme.

I also wanted to know if there was music between the House of Durin and Thorin's themes in the film. I'd be surprised if they went into one another like that, given there's apparently a scene where Thorin and Dain meet up and briefly discuss their plan.

The bit from Battle for the Mountain is in as far as I remember. Sons of Durin is also in and as far as I know there's no gaps between the two themes. The cue starts with the Dwarves finally leaving the mountain and making the charge, the focus is kind of on the group as a whole. After that it switches focuses to Thorin. I'm not saying Thorin and Dain don't converse... I just don't remember it but it could have been underscored by the second half of Thorin's theme if it happened.

The title card for the film is shown over the gates of Erebor. Not the shot of the people of Laketown walking over the hills away from the smoldering ruin that was assumed.

Ahh, so it must be the statement of the Erebor theme at the end of "Fire and Water" that underscores this.

Ahh, so it must be the statement of the Erebor theme at the end of "Fire and Water" that underscores this.

Tis.

Well, keep in mind there is some unreleased music in there (as heard from the Smaug clip). And don't be surprised to hear the music stopping and starting at various points in the scene.

Though I'm sure Bilbo can confirm more in that regard.

Well, keep in mind there is some unreleased music in there (as heard from the Smaug clip). And don't be surprised to hear the music stopping and starting at various points in the scene.

Though I'm sure Bilbo can confirm more in that regard.

Bit if unreleased music (I think we also have a quick flash to Dol Goldur in there as well where we hear some Lothlorien music) and there's the odd bit which is unscored. Maybe 7-10 minutes between title cards.

Bits from the trailers that didn't show up in the film and that may end up in the EE:

1. Dwarves riding into attack on great battle rams,

5. Gandalf's line "You have to ask yourself one question: how will this day end?"

1) Wasn't that like the main dwarven charge? A la Battle of of Pelennor Fields?

2) Really? This wasn't in the film? But they'be marketing it so much!