Finn has a theme in The Force Awakens score

SafeUnderHill

Another reason I don't want to see it is because I typically hate sequels made 20-30 years later with the beloved characters as old people. It always fucks with my mind. Like, I still can't get that awful fucking Crystal Skull with a completely out of character silly old man Indiana Jones saying "Somewhere your grandpa is laughing" out of my brain, no matter how much I watch Temple of Doom.

Do you think Ben Burtt will dial out BB8s motif to prevent it from interrupting his sound effects?

Bleep-bleep-bloopity.

Fyi, Ben Burtt is not working on The Force Awakens.

He is: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/14/star-wars-force-awakens-jj-abrams

Burtt is back for this movie, and I tried to get Abrams to discuss his contribution.

“I can’t talk about what he’s doing specifically on this movie, but I’ll say that I’m thrilled to get to work with Ben again,” the director said. “We worked together on the Star Trek films, on Super 8, and now on this. We also are lucky to have Gary Rydstrom, of course, and Matt Wood. We have an amazing sound team.”

There were claims around (which I guess were just wild rumors) just a few weeks ago that Burtt wasn't involved anymore.

Hmm. Yeah, that Entertainment Weekly article is just from last August. I think it's at least likely that he's not as involved in the various facets of post-production as he was with the prequels. He could have just contributed some sound design.

Another reason I don't want to see it is because I typically hate sequels made 20-30 years later with the beloved characters as old people. It always fucks with my mind. Like, I still can't get that awful fucking Crystal Skull with a completely out of character silly old man Indiana Jones saying "Somewhere your grandpa is laughing" out of my brain, no matter how much I watch Temple of Doom.

My problem with KotCS in that regards was Karen Allen. She was just awful. I admit I'm a bit worried about Hamill and Fisher in TFA

Is it possible to be both a JWFan and a Ben Burtt fan? Because I am, despite the hackjobs done to the prequel scores.

My problem with KotCS in that regards was Karen Allen. She was just awful. I admit I'm a bit worried about Hamill and Fisher in TFA

Absolutely. The film was fine until Marion arrived on scene. In the years since Raiders, Karen Allen had forgotten how to be Marion.

"The sound effects guys only hear the sound effects, the music guys only hear the music." - Ben Burtt

That's why you have a neutral middle man to bring it all together, not the fucking sound effects guy turning up the lava sound to completely drown out the epic cue where Williams goes full Williams.

That may not be the best example actually. I mean, Williams was cribbing from ESB for that sequence, and the sounds of those metal cables they were swinging on during the duel were pretty cool.

The hate for Burtt on this board is pretty comical.

That may not be the best example actually. I mean, Williams was cribbing from ESB for that sequence

Not that particular scene, actually. You're thinking of The Duel (Though the Window), which is only quoted for a relatively short segment. I'm thinking of The Boys Continue, which is positively fucking epic and completely original. Williams hasn't hit the notes like that since 2005.

To be fair, in that tedious documentary on the Episode III DVD, the sound effects were turned up so high during that scene, you could barely hear the music at all. It was like the revised DVD version of Star Wars where the music wasn't audible when the fighters dive into the Death Star. WTF?

You're right... That documentary was tedious. It was like homework to get through.

If I were Ben Burtt, I'd probably advocate for my work too.

I bet they're just glorified cameos.

Fucking awful moment. He was given bad material, there's no doubt about that. I'm not sure if he could have done anything to improve things, but it certainly didn't seem like he was trying.

Is it possible to be both a JWFan and a Ben Burtt fan? Because I am, despite the hackjobs done to the prequel scores.

Absolutely. The film was fine until Marion arrived on scene. In the years since Raiders, Karen Allen had forgotten how to be Marion.

I wouldn't say it was fine fine, but it was tolerable. The fridge and the gophers didn't have to be dealbreakers. I actually like the early Indy/Mutt stuff alright, the motorcycle chase is a solid bit of directing, the Peru stuff is mediocre but more or less authentic Indy. The first hour, it's lame and not that interesting but easygoing. Then you hit the jungle and the whole thing becomes annoying and embarrassing.

Literally everything about it was wrong, but certain moments were so ridiculous they were kind of amusing, like Indiana Jones bumbling through a 1950s house yelling "Hello!?" and the part where he tells the kid to read Vere Gordon Childe. Also, some of his deliveries were good in the diner scene. It seemed to be him. It seemed to be getting better. But, nope. It got worse than A.I.

Literally everything about it was wrong, but certain moments were so ridiculous they were kind of amusing, like Indiana Jones bumbling through a 1950s house yelling "Hello!?" and the part where he tells the kid to read Vere Gordon Childe. Also, some of his deliveries were good in the diner scene. It seemed to be him. It seemed to be getting better. But, nope. It got worse than A.I.

I think he's good when he figures out Oxley's note. Academic Indy, he's got that smirk and a glint in his eye. He gets harder to find after that.