Fargo (TV Series)

Jay

• 4 weeks later...

Watched the first 3 episodes of Fargo S2. This season has a different vibe than Fargo S1 but there are many, many delicious moments that masterfully balance between funny and tension, a rare quality. Really, if this is TV then who needs movies?! 

fargo2-4_zpsdkgoqqj2.jpg

Alex - who almost didn't recognize Kirsten Dunst

Kirsten Dunst was fantastic in this season.

Glad you're liking the new season Alex. It's very keen on setting itself apart from the first season, but still tonally loyal to its roots.

Jean Smart.

I think she dabbled in theatre and did a lot of TV, but I didn't really know about her till now. She was brilliant in Fargo.

I keep putting off my Hulu Plus free trial.  I plan on taking advantage of it solely for the purposes of watching Fargo, and then canceling the service before I'm charged.  I may wait another season.

We keep thinking about doing a Hulu free trial too; We might do it when 11.22.63 comes out.  If we like the service, we'll keep paying for it.  That's what happened for us after our free month of Netflix.  Still use it every day!

Finished Fargo Season 2 and I am left with the exact same feeling that I had after seeing No Country For Old Men. Somehow you expect some kind of showdown, a big climax, a grand finale, ... but it's not coming. Instead, we have people sitting at the table who start talking in a philosophical manner. Hmmm ... It always feels like the whole movie/TV series is suddenly going into a direction that is entirely different from what you were watching. On the one hand, it's good that you don't get what you expect but, on the other, you remain with a feeling of dissatisfaction. 

All in all, Fargo 2 had  a lot of strong moments, a few very strong episodes and overall fantastic performances. I actually like Ted 'CSI' Danson (who knew that he had the Fargo element in him?!) but was mostly impressed with Kirsten Dunst and especially with Bokeem Woodbine. The character he played will not easily be forgotten. I have to mention Jesse Plemons. We noticed him as a silent force to reckoned with in Breaking Bad but I think he pulled it off again in Fargo as the everyday guy who gets mixed up in crime because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and married to the wrong girl.

1280_zpsnhlphtan.jpg

Bokeem Woodbine as Mike Millegan

Fargo-Season-2-Episode-2-32-ecf8_zpskk42

That Fargo element.

FargoTV_zpstaukltao.jpg

This season's everyday man sitting next to the wrong girl. Or is it the other way around?

Alex

• 5 weeks later...
9 hours ago, crocodile said:

Finished the second season of Fargo. It is mostly excellent, but not sure if better than tighter and more focused season one.

Karol

In a way, its more ambitious, which I admire it for. But the first season is tighter. I love the both about the same right now. I'm sure a lot of people might not have loved the reflective season 2 finale, but I thought it was a very apt coda to follow the intense penultimate episode.

• 8 months later...

And Kirsten Dunst was the Spiderman's soapy Mary Jane. Look how good she turned out to be!

Surprised to see his casting had no mention here either.

Good actor though. I can see him thriving in the world of Fargo.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Watched the first episode of the new season of Fargo. Not sure how I feel about it. Will have to wait a few episodes to see where it's going.

Three episodes in Fargo S3. What can be gathered: the show remains a haven for cinema actors (Ewan McGregor here in an amusing double role and David Thewlis with a hideous set of teeth). 

• 1 month later...

0a0ZZ4s.jpg

Fargo S3E10 - Somebody to Love

"This is a true story..."

Since the original Coen brothers' film, this opening statement has been one that the following absurdist tales have played around with thematically. But with this season finale, as the pieces come together, it becomes clear that this third season is Hawley's most earnest attempt at deconstructing the concept entirely. 

Season 3 has been a difficult ride for me. Yes, it features another brilliant all-star cast, some cool set-pieces and great writing, but something felt off about all of it. The season arc and structure seemed muddled, the characters' motivations unclear and the caricatures more obvious than before. Granted there were some really great highs (the phenomenal third episode being one, and Ray Wise's awesome cameo!), but something just didn't click. 

The final scene of this intriguing finale sort of helped piece it all together, however. As we watch Carrie Coon and the serpent-ish David Thewilis chewing scenery, Hawley's intentions become more clear. Unlike the past seasons, this one wasn't so much an attempt at comic tragedy as it was Hawley's thesis on the stupidity of life's events, and how "truth" is just the manipulation of a random sequence of events. And in the end, he leaves it to the audience on whether to accept Thewlis' more cynical view of human's tendency toward evil or Coon's firm belief in justice prevailing in the end.

When you go back to all the "head-scratcher" moments of the season, Hawley's choices make more and more sense and I can appreciate that. Season 3, in a way, is the show at its most ambitious, but at the cost of characters we can really invest in and narrative we can be swept off by. Hawley forgoes the usual entertainment value for a more heady exercise, and that makes this the toughest season to process, but one you can't help but admire.

And with that final monologue, I don't think you could ask for a better send-off to the whole series really. I'm not sure if there is another one planned, but this would be a noble end to a very fine show indeed.

Episode 4 of S3: Loved how this episode uses the themes of Prokovief's Peter And The Wolf. Oh, did anyone notice how cinematic the series looks?

fargo-mew-ray-wise.png?quality=90&strip=

Also, more references to Twin Peaks?

Actually, episode 5 of S3 is the best one so far. It's really getting grim, but what can I say, it's just fascinating to see ordinary people with normal lives slowly descent into hell, and especially when it's done in that typical whimsical Fargo style. 

05recaps-slide-66HM-master768.jpg

Mary Elisabeth Winstead didn't need to act in Tarantino's Death Proof but here she really gets to show what she's made of.

Alex