So Ridley Scott is directing an Alien prequel... (The official Prometheus Thread)

crocodile

I'm really curious as to what Damon Lindelof has in store for us. Not that he's the most awesome writer ever. But his work on Lost proves at least that he's really passionate and willing to take a tired concept and have fun with it. He's actually trying to make things interesting.

Karol

It's good to see them going for unknown faces. Remember Winona Ryder as the android?

Make up your mind Ridley!

Just a thought but everyone always said you can't have an Alien movie without Sigourney Weaver so maybe the answer lies in there.

Alex

I would like them to stay away from the whole "Alien chasing human around in darkly lit spaceship/station/colony" as much as possible.

Maybe Scott can find a complete new angle that's has not been explored.

I'm sure there will be a new mystery and a new threat. Scott knows all too well the old one is weared out. Maybe the Space Jockeys (the creators of the famous monster?) are going to be pretty nasty creatures themselves.

The old Dark Horse comic had the space jockeys use the aliens as biological warfare, almost like chemical agents. Send in the aliens, who kill or impregnate everyone, then come in and take over when the planet is dead. Ridley's always said he thought of them as genetically engineered weapons (obviously the same line the Company always took as well).

There's probably no good way to make it a prequel to the original Alien using the same characters that wake on the Nostromo (read: with Ripley) and a Xenomorph unless they get their memory wiped before being put into cryosleep.

And that's not really a good plot device. It says "do what you want during this movie, because even if you directly influence the next film, it will be forgotten." Since Ripley remembers the events of the previous movie in the sequel, memory wipes are not established as commonplace before cryosleep.

Sorry if that was debunked and I'm just trolling. But the space jockeys would be cool to show. They'd present a superior race that created a biological weapon they could not control, which would be analogous to what Weyland-Yutani tried to do later.

There were rumours about the space jockeys doing some really scary things with a few humans.

And any alien who chest-bursts itself from a giant Space Jockey is going to be much bigger than the ones we are familiar with. So there are 3 new potential threats:

1) The planet which is hostile to humans (they plan to terraform it)

2) The Space Jockey who's like a Na-vi but certainly not as friendly

3) The giant Xenomorph born out of a Space Jockey

I'd be nice if the queen was ignored and the focus was squarely back on how scary the original alien is.

Yes, but like I said, Scott is the first to know that this doesn't work anymore.

I'd be nice if the queen was ignored and the focus was squarely back on how scary the original alien is.

Yes, but like I said, Scott is the first to know that this doesn't work anymore.

considering his last few films, Scott doesn't know what works anymore.

If I were a Nolan fanboy I'd argue with you.

However it's not a vague statement, the Alien franchise has become a joke and I can't remember the last relevant film Scott has made.

And say what you want about Nolan but he's delivered.

Well, there was a mention of "big aliens".

I don't think the Queen makes it less scary. Actually the creature itself isn't really scary.

Critical success can go only so far.

It's nice to be recognized by a select few but you've got to be better than that.

My bosses think I do a great job but if the business suffers because of the economy then it doesn't matter.

Nolan is currently better than the current Ridley Scott, but not as good as the first Ridey Scott. Also, Nolan is less a "filmic mercenary" than Scott.

(He's obssesed by Blade Runner, by the way. I wonder if he'll do a similar film someday).

Just a question, is Snyder temporary hype? Was the original Scott temporary hype?

The problem was, they should have stopped the Alien franchise after the second film, actually they should have stopped after the first film.. Not every film needs a sequel.

Massive disappointment all around, plus it was almost 11 years ago.

Well you said relevant, and Gladiator boomed in terms of financial and critical success. Honestly I'd take Black Hawk Down over it, but that one didn't do as well.

Nolan is currently better than the current Ridley Scott, but not as good as the first Ridey Scott. Also, Nolan is less a "filmic mercenary" than Scott.

(He's obssesed by Blade Runner, by the way. I wonder if he'll do a similar film someday).

True. And the sad thing is, I do believe Nolan's success wil have an influence on how Hollywood is making films ... but that will pass too.

Financial and critical success, Alex.

Just temporary hype, steef. Just ask joey. He's always right ... when it comes to Nolan. ;)

my personal opinions are always right for me.

Nolan failed with inception, succeeded with Dark Knight, failed with batman begins, failed with Prestige. In baseball that's an acceptable percentage.

Thats the way I see it.

even the great and almighty Alex didn't care much for Robin Hood by Scott. perhaps being knighted has taken his zest away.

I don't think anyone is criticizing Scott's old stuff.

sorry to hear you're dying.