Headphones

bob23

23 hours ago, Will said:

Thinking of asking for some Sennheisers (or a similar brand) for Christmas. Price range would be under $50. Obviously that takes all the fancy ones out of the equation, but I'm only looking for something entry level. Is this a good pair?

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-201-Lightweight-Over-Headphones/dp/B0007XJSQC/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1479340580&sr=1-1&keywords=sennheiser+hd+201

The reviews on Amazon are very positive.

Any other suggestions (it doesn't have to be Sennheiser)? Any important info to know?

I haven't really worn real headphones much in the past, but I think they are probably better than earbuds, which can be a little uncomfortable and fall out easily (not to mention worse for your hearing).  

I currently listen with this - https://www.amazon.com/TDK-Life-Record-A28-Resistant/dp/B00T9KG9GG/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1479340691&sr=1-1&keywords=trek+flex - as well as a pair of cheap normal earbuds. But I assume that the portable speaker is giving me more of a mono sound than a stereo one (?) and that it's sound could be improved upon with headphones (?) (even though it sounds absolutely terrific compared to what I was listening on before, which was laptop speakers). And of course the cheap earbuds I'm sure deliver much worse sound than "real" headphones, even some of the cheaper versions. 

I really don't know much about this topic at all so any info would be great. For instance, perhaps that TREK Flex Bluetooth portable speaker that I often listen with these days has just as good if not better quality than those HD 201s and similar models? So a sound quality upgrade wouldn't be a reason to get some headphones, if I'm looking to get them cheap?

201s kinda suck. Don't believe the reviews. They are overly flat and muffled and have very low max volume level. They require an amp, but even then, they can't handle the sound levels, so it's like what the fuck. Do not get those. I was wearing down my devices' batteries in record time. The 202s are kinda like bassier 201s, so ignore those as well. You need to spend at least 50 on a pair of Sennheisers. Either than or wait for a markdown, or just get Koss.

36 minutes ago, Selina Kyle said:

201s kinda suck. Don't believe the reviews. They are overly flat and muffled and have very low max volume level. They require an amp, but even then, they can't handle the sound levels, so it's like what the fuck. Do not get those. I was wearing down my devices' batteries in record time. The 202s are kinda like bassier 201s, so ignore those as well. You need to spend at least 50 on a pair of Sennheisers. Either than or wait for a markdown, or just get Koss.

I know you've used the HD 205s in the past and said they were sufficient, and those aren't too expensive ... but the Amazon reviews all say they are really uncomfortable. 

What Koss ones are good? 

Do you know if these are okay? I mean, obviously they're not exactly the best in the world, but that's not what I'm looking for. Second one is price equivalent of HD 201s. 

https://www.amazon.com/Koss-T55959-UR-20-Home-Headphones/dp/B00005N9D3/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1479428249&sr=1-1&keywords=koss+headphones&refinements=p_36%3A1253503011 (dirt cheap)

https://www.amazon.com/2Y77570-Koss-UR29-Stereo-Headphone/dp/B000VJXS9A/ref=sr_1_4?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1479428381&sr=1-4&keywords=koss+headphones&refinements=p_36%3A1253503011 (still pretty cheap)

The 205s are mega uncomfortable when you first wear them. Hell yeah. I hated them, but the ROTJ OST sounded so great. I've been wearing them for a while now. I got them over the summer? They're now not uncomfortable!

The dirt cheapy Koss are probably still good, but I haven't used them. If you're looking for closed-back, they're worth checking out. The only Koss I use are open-back KSC75 and SportaPro.

Will, I would go to a Fry's Electronics if there's one nearby. They have a lenient return policy. Pick a pair out, carefully open and give them a shot. If you don't like them, repackage and bring them back. They actually have a good selection of headphones. Stuff you won't find in other stores, which really limit your selection to shit like Bose and Beats by Dr. Dre.

I'm listening with the 205s right now and they sound awesome.

I'm afraid Koray is right on this one. However,  they changed the sound for their latest QC25 and for me it has become too harsh in the mid regions. Maybe there was something wrong with that particular copy.

There's this huge push for Bose these days in electronic departments of major retailers. I had a pair years ago and I will never buy another again. They're overpriced and have invented buzzwords. I'm a firm believer that you don't need to spend big to have good sound. As long as I can get off to my music on cheap Koss headphones and very occasionally slightly splurged-on Grados and Sennheisers, that's all that matters. Enjoy your $500-$1000 headphones.

I actually had a relative ask what I wanted for my birthday. I knew it was headphones, but my birthday is very soon and they wanted an answer fast so split second I decided on these:

https://www.koss.com/headphones/over-ear-headphones/ur29

Hope they're good! If not, they're only $25 so it's not like I'll be wasting a thousand dollar purchase. 

Home theaters? I gave up on those a long time ago. I think it was when I heard sounds coming from the rear channels and realized what a stupid gimmick it was. Like, the sound was trying to break the fourth wall of something. So corny. I started using only the front channels. Eventually, I realized this was all a stupid gimmick that attempted to blur the line between the cinema and the home viewing experience. There shouldn't be any confusion. If I want to watch a movie on a huge screen with blasting sound, that's what a theater is for. When I watch a movie at home, I want it to be on a small screen with stereo sound at most. If there's any fourth wall to be broken, it's when I see my exact model of Sony Trinitron in Godzilla while watching it on my Sony Trinitron.

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Wasn't Bose the brand for the ignorant Sjonnie, Alexandre? What has happened?

Stefandre.

No that's the Beats!  ;)

Alexandre

22 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

There's this huge push for Bose these days in electronic departments of major retailers. I had a pair years ago and I will never buy another again. They're overpriced and have invented buzzwords. I'm a firm believer that you don't need to spend big to have good sound. As long as I can get off to my music on cheap Koss headphones and very occasionally slightly splurged-on Grados and Sennheisers, that's all that matters. Enjoy your $500-$1000 headphones.

The most expensive headphones Bose make are $350. 

18 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

Home theaters? I gave up on those a long time ago. I think it was when I heard sounds coming from the rear channels and realized what a stupid gimmick it was. Like, the sound was trying to break the fourth wall of something. So corny. I started using only the front channels. Eventually, I realized this was all a stupid gimmick that attempted to blur the line between the cinema and the home viewing experience. There shouldn't be any confusion. If I want to watch a movie on a huge screen with blasting sound, that's what a theater is for. When I watch a movie at home, I want it to be on a small screen with stereo sound at most. If there's any fourth wall to be broken, it's when I see my exact model of Sony Trinitron in Godzilla while watching it on my Sony Trinitron.

I'm not sure this is exactly what you're getting at, but I will say that having a non-surround sound system at my house (and even a rounded, non-HD TV until a couple years ago) and watching DVDs rather than Blu-rays makes going to a theatre really special.

I realized this again when I saw Fantastic Beasts yesterday evening. The thrill I felt when the main title came blasting out of the surround speakers, with picture in 4K (I think), is one I won't forget for a while. 

I need to see Rogue One on opening night! Never seen a film on opening night (closest I've gotten is opening day with The BFG). Seeing Fantastic Beasts at night (well, it was night when it ended at least) was pretty cool. 

22 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

i listen to everything in surround sound (dolby digital or DTS) on my home setup, including TV

it takes a lot of fiddling around to get perfect sound though. And to make sure the subwoofer  doesn;t overpower everything

I don't even have a subwoofer. I do have a Sony Mini Hi-Fi system that suits me, except that the latest Apple devices no longer fit on the 30-pin dock without an adapter. But that's strictly for music.

The first and best stereo headphone.

As for the Trinitron, as long as they use those in The Haunted Mansion at Disneyland, I know they're the best televisions ever produced.

Hmmm... I just received the Koss UR29s. They sound great. But they're terribly uncomfortable. They're so tight they make my ears/head hurt even after not very much listening. @Selina Kyle, do headphones ever "loosen up" over time, or is it likely I've just got a bad pair? :(

You need to break them in. What I did with my Sennheisers is stretch them out on a big lampshade for days. I mean, they looked like they were going to break, but I knew they wouldn't. That and regular listening and you should be good. Plus, they'll have broken in by that point and sound even better.

I want a pair now.

28 minutes ago, Selina Kyle said:

You need to break them in. What I did with my Sennheisers is stretch them out on a big lampshade for days. I mean, they looked like they were going to break, but I knew they wouldn't. That and regular listening and you should be good. Plus, they'll have broken in by that point and sound even better.

I want a pair now.

Oh, and I actually just realized that the headband could be further adjusted, which I think should largely fix my problem! Plus of course I have to break them in as you say, and should probably stretch them a little. 

Just realized I probably should have asked for Bluetooth headphones. But I'll try these anyway. They're only $25.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anybody whether or not the Audio-Technica ATH-M50xs are good for orchestral music?  They're the most popular and have pretty great reviews but I hear that it's not exactly "neutral".  Plus I'm not sure if my large ear lobes will fit inside.   

The pair of Bose headphones I got from a cousin are ones that go for $250 and they're great even the quality for film scores.  If these ever die on me I'd save up for another pair.

On 20-12-2016 at 9:08 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

Does anybody whether or not the Audio-Technica ATH-M50xs are good for orchestral music?  They're the most popular and have pretty great reviews but I hear that it's not exactly "neutral".  Plus I'm not sure if my large ear lobes will fit inside.   

Oh, I have those too. They are supposed to be studio headphones. I thought the sound was very good (perhaps the bass is too strong) but the clamp on the head or ears is quite significant. Never really tried them with orchestral music but good speakers are good speakers. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2016 at 0:03 PM, Alexcremers said:

Oh, I have those too. They are supposed to be studio headphones. I thought the sound was very good (perhaps the bass is too strong) but the clamp on the head or ears is quite significant. Never really tried them with orchestral music but good speakers are good speakers. 

I like em. They are a bit of the bass-high heavy, so not much middle fullness, but great pair for the price.

The sound profile makes them a little fatiguing on orchestral, and they don't reproduce...how shall I put it...you know the rolling/wave like strings technique John Williams uses in War Horse? They don't sound quite smooth and rolly, more harsh and sharp on these. 

I don't have War Horse but maybe the mixer has put the whole thing through an exciter again? Listening to E.T. or Jurassic Park must be quite painful on these Audio Technica M50s. Bass and treble are slightly pronounced, so yes, they are not really flat.

Okay all I haven't been following this thread lately but can anyone recommend a good pair of noise canceling EARBUDS that will NOT cost me an arm and a leg that will sound good for film scores, please?

• 7 months later...

So....90s Bruce Botnick/Jerry Goldsmith recordings sound absolutely fantastic on...wait for it...Beats Solo3.  Divine. 

The Solo3 have a bloated low-end and a rolled off high, so they sound smooth and boomy. Botnick/Goldsmith recordings tend to be really sparkly highs which get a little draining for longer listening. Botnick's recordings also have more upper bass and a punchy bit of lower bass for impact. 

So when you play them through the Beats you get a really surprisingly lovely sound. Was Goldsmith the Hip Hop artist of Film Music? 

15 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

So....90s Bruce Botnick/Jerry Goldsmith recordings sound absolutely fantastic on...wait for it...Beats Solo3.  Divine. 

The Solo3 have a bloated low-end and a rolled off high, so they sound smooth and boomy. Botnick/Goldsmith recordings tend to be really sparkly highs which get a little draining for longer listening. Botnick's recordings also have more upper bass and a punchy bit of lower bass for impact. 

So when you play them through the Beats you get a really surprisingly lovely sound. Was Goldsmith the Hip Hop artist of Film Music? 

I've read that each Beats generation that comes out has less and less bass. They almost sound like normal headphones now.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I've read that each Beats generation that comes out has less and less bass. They almost sound like normal headphones now.

They’re still very boomy, and without equalizer sound terrible with most classical music. But they are great wireless headphones if you are on the Apple bandwagon. They work really well for background listening while doing other stuff. Then the weird Beats idiosyncrasies aren’t as much a bother.