John Williams: A Celebration! An 80th Birthday Tribute (Sony Classical CD releasing February 28th)

Jay

I notice that track 05, Adventures on Earth from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (9:47) shares the exact duration of the track from 'The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration' album released by SONY in 1991, so I'd guess it's the same track.

Which is a shame because IMO this was a disappointing rendition, with timing all over the place. Out of interest, would anyone know if this Adventures On Earth concert arrangement was put to disc elsewhere?

In the year the CD is supposed to die, this is one that deserves a quick painful death.

In the year the CD is supposed to die, this is one that deserves a quick painful death.

thoought this was a fan page....?

also im sure im wrong about this....but how can sony just rehash everything? they dont own all of those recordings, and sabrina has only been recorded once, unless they use the pearlman version

I personally wasn't expecting anything timed with Williams' 80th birthday. Maybe a cake from the Boston Pops, but not CD releases.

I was expecting something, but wasnt sure. I know hes a real hot item with the pops this year

ps: im from portsmouth

from the amazon site (also update with picture):

Editorial Reviews

In honor of the 80th Birthday of one of America's most distinctive and beloved musical voices, Sony Classical is proud to announce the release of John Williams A Celebration! An 80th Birthday Tribute. With instantly recognizable themes from some of the biggest movie blockbusters in recent memory, the album is a celebration of John Williams' stellar career. The collection is hand-picked by Williams and contains his personal favorites from film and television music, concert works and festive occasion pieces. Of special note is the previously unreleased recording of Williams' joyous "Happy Birthday Variations."

In a career spanning almost six decades, John Williams has composed some of the most popular film scores in the history of motion pictures; the Star Wars series, Jaws, the Indiana Jones films, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, Schindler's List, the first three Harry Potter films and many more. Winner of twenty-one Grammy® Awards, four Golden Globe awards and five Academy Awards®, Williams is easily the most successful composer working in film today. Starting with the theme from Jaws through his latest score for the critically acclaimed War Horse, John Williams A Celebration! An 80th Birthday Tribute is a collection of brilliant music from one of America's most brilliant composers.

Oh, cool to see a list of some of John Williams' personal favorites. I'm sure commercial factors were also a factor in making the track list, so I wouldn't consider this a definitive list of JW's favorites, but I think we can say that JW is particularly proud of everything on this CD.

Of special note is the previously unreleased recording of Williams' joyous "Happy Birthday Variations."

These guys are funny .Buy his c.d.! It contains ONE track you don't already have!

And then they wonder why people pirate stuff.

Of special note is the previously unreleased recording of Williams' joyous "Happy Birthday Variations."

These guys are funny .Buy his c.d.! It contains ONE track you don't already have!

Well, while that description is a bit disconcerting, I'm holding out hope that Mutt and Harry Potter will be different recordings.

Well, while that description is a bit disconcerting, I'm holding out hope that Mutt and Harry Potter will be different recordings.

Well the tracktimes iof each of these tracks is exactly the same as the Soundtracks Versions (allthough, they were released by different labels)

JW on piano, Seiji Ozawa conducting. Very nice.

TJH

Wow! I am seeing this for the first time too! I am impressed. :blink:

Did JW play this theme on the OS album, as well? Anybody know?

Williams played the opening piano part on the soundtrack, as you see aerial footage of Long Island.

The first and last tracks on the OS album too?

I don't think those are the same recordings as the one you hear at the beginning of the movie...

Great!

Although in that case I am inclined to believe that the orchestra and the piano were recorded separately and mixed later on... For if JW was playing the piano, who was conducting the orchestra?

It's not impossible to conduct and play the piano at the same time (esp. in studio recordings with click tracks).

However, I guess Williams played only the piano solo part (i.e. the first 2 minutes), which probably has been recorded separately from the orchestral arrangement.

Cover art:

51TrZaoXkDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Gee, they couldn't remove the black behind Williams left eye-glasses...? Looks like a rush job (like the WH CD). What happened to the art designers at Sony...?

Speaking of JW playing the piano, the last track on the Schindler's List album (the piano part) is so perfectly well-played, it blows my mind. Every nuance, every little pause, every little hit is perfect. Also, it's played rubato, which I really like. You couldn't play this piece any better, I am sure.

Conductors appearing as soloists happens all the time. Just a couple of months ago, I attended an Andrew Litton performed/conducted concert, where he was the soloist on Gershwin's Rhapsody in blue.

Williams, in his many years with the BSO has appeared in this two capacities at once. The most recent case I recall was back in 2000, while performing and conducting the suite from Angela's Ashes.

Though, as mentioned above, it is likely that during the recording session, the piano was recorded separately.

Amazon.com's tracklist reports that "Adventures of Mutt" and "Harry's Wondrous World" are taken from the original soundtrack recordings.

No surprise there.

When the track times match to the second, it's highly unlikely they are different recordings...

Bummer.

• 3 weeks later...

They are only listed that way now because the album isn't out yet. On Tuesday, you'll be able to buy them individually

Look, I'm a massive JW fan. Yet, I'm still having trouble purchasing a CD for his version of "Happy Birthday". Is it really that good?

have a listen to my video above.

Would the track ordered off iTunes be as good of quality as if I bought the physical CD? I'm not sure about the iTunes+ format...

Look, I'm a massive JW fan. Yet, I'm still having trouble purchasing a CD for his version of "Happy Birthday". Is it really that good?

I didn't like it much before but now it's like a different piece.

I'm definitely going to buy this just for that one piece.