The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

Fox is doing fine with the X-Men movies, but Sony dropped the ball with Spider-man since Raimi left, and Fox can't seem to figure out what to do with Fantastic Four

I saw TAS and thought it was decent, but really havent been inspired to check out the second film.

Yea, pretty much my thoughts. I mean, TASM1 wasn't what I'd call "good", but it wasn't a disaster of epic proportions or anything. Just completely forgettable, and retread too much of the original first film.

I think the excellence of Spider-man 2 (Raimi) has blinded people a bit on how mediocre that trilogy is. SM2 is incredible (amazing, even ;)), the first is "okay" but not great, and the third is terrible.

ASM is probably the best, in my opinion, behind Spidey 2.

I doubt X-Men will ever go back to Marvel and the Fantastic Four is not a great property at this point, like film poison, and I find them uninteresting as characters.

What I liked about TASM at the time was that it didnt have the maudlin melodramatic tone of the Raimi films. And the actors playing Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy were really excellent. And the Horner score.

I think the excellence of Spider-man 2 (Raimi) has blinded people a bit on how mediocre that trilogy is.

Spider-Man 2 is the best of that trilogy, but that still doesnt make it a very good film. IIRC it took 36 minutes for the actual plot to begin.

I loved the original Raimi Spider-man, moreso than either of his sequels or either of Webb's films. The melodrama worked for me (since I was a teenager at the time), and I don't feel that faithfulness to the tone of a comic book is necessary for an adapatation if the adaptation is internally tonally consistent.

Amazing Spider-man 2 was a train wreck. The out-of-costume stuff with Peter and Gwen was pretty good (although I'm basically over the whole on-again-off-again thing that has been in the Spider-man films). I was happy that the relationship was so simple and positive in Webb's first). The Green Goblin stuff was pretty good as well. Electro was basically carbon-copied Riddler from Batman Forever. It was really awful. Rhino would have been a nice addition if his appearance was brief (like Scarecrow in TDK and TDKR) - basically if the 10 minute end-tag with him wasn't there. The movie was kind of formless in a way that I can't say I've ever seen a superhero movie be.

I still haven't seen the new Spidey flicks. Should I watch?

Amazing Spider-man is worth watching; its sequel is not really.

Is Marvel Planning A Secret Wars Movie?

interesting

If you think about it, those two rumors almost fall perfectly in place with the Secret Wars mega-event just announced for the comic division. Marvel runs the Secret Wars comic event in 2015, builds brand recognition and excitement with comic-related merchandise. Avengers: Age of Ultron hits theaters in 2015. Then, Avengers 3 hits two years later in 2017 with Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man leading a different team of Avengers that doesn’t include Captain America, Thor, and Hulk.
Of course, Captain America, Thor, and Hulk won't be out of site during this time, as they will each have their own solo movies. Then, either in 2018 or 2019, Marvel releases their biggest event movie ever called Secret Wars, which pulls together everyone who has been an Avenger, the Guardians of the Galaxy, and even Spider-Man.
The Secret Wars is one of the few things that Marvel can do to create a movie that’s actually bigger than the Avengers team movies. And for those saying Sony would never do it, there’s always ways a deal could be struck. For one thing, having Spider-Man in such a big event picture would get fans more invested in the character and likely boost attendance for his solo movies.
One other thing that tends to support this little piece of speculation is how Robert Downey Jr. has been behaving in recent appearances. Downey Jr. told Letterman he wasn’t going to do Iron Man 4, but he was going to do other stuff with Marvel. Downey Jr. has also constantly re-iterated that Marvel has a plan, but they are very "secretive" about it. Instead of doing Iron Man 4, Secret Wars could be the other "secretive" stuff with Marvel that Downey Jr. is talking about.

It is the Disney way. Aladdin, Tarzan, Lilo and Stitch, and The Lion King all got animated spinoff series. Some of the Marvel animated series have been excellent, so this makes perfect sense.

I think the excellence of Spider-man 2 (Raimi) has blinded people a bit on how mediocre that trilogy is. SM2 is incredible (amazing, even ;)), the first is "okay" but not great, and the third is terrible.

I love the entire trilogy (yes, even Spider-Man 3). It has a perfect blend of humor and drama. The same can't be said for TASM, which is a mopey, joyless film.

And furthermore, Sony might have dropped Garfield from the Spider-man role, and will use The Sinister Six movie they have coming out in 2016 as yet ANOTHER reboot of the Spider-man character

http://www.movieweb.com/spider-man-reboot-cast-sinister-six-venom-movie

Getting Robert Downey Jr. back for Captain America 3 just seems like a reactionary shot from Marvel Studios at WB's Batman v. Superman, like they're saying "Hah, Batman versus Superman? With Wonder Woman? Pffft, we got Tony Stark versus Steve Rogers!"

Very disappointed they're going with the "Civil War" arc, and putting Bucky on the sidelines. It's a shame, the Bucky/Steve B-plot helped make Captain America: The Winter Soldier so enjoyable.

Marvel has things so planned out, and I doubt they feel threatened by DC movie properties at this point, to be that reactionary towards BvS. They're an extremely confident studio right now.

I don't get why Marvel would go with Civil War before Thanos / Infinity Stones stuff. I mean, why include Thanos in Avengers 1 and GOTG, and have the 4 of the 6 stones on-screen between Avengers, Thor 2, and GOTG if you're not planning on paying off the Thanos / Inifinity Stones stuff in Avengers 3?

Or will their version of Civil War be entirely contained within Captain America 3?

And finally, does Captain American 3 shifting it's focus toward being a Cap/Iron Man movie push Black Widow and Hawkeye into their own movie, perhaps (hopefully?)

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article

Captain America’ For Best Picture? Why Its Directors Think The Academy Needs To Take Comic Book Movies Seriously

http://deadline.com/2014/10/oscars-captain-america-best-picture-comic-book-movies-861019/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

I seem to remember this same sort of conversation happening when Dark Knight was snubbed. Good quality film, well reviewed, popular, raked in the dough, but not respected enough for a Best Picture nomination.

OK, let's see how close I got....

2015:
May 1: Avengers: Age of Ultron
July 17: Ant-Man

2016:
May 6: Captain America 3
July 8: Doctor Strange When did Marvel move this to November 4 for some reason?

2017:
May 5: Thor 3 I was basically right, Marvel just swapped two dates, as GOTG2 is now here!
July 28: Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Now this is Thor 3 because of the date swap!
Nov. 3: Black Widow/Hawkeye Nope! Black Panther!

2018:
May 4: Avengers 3 Yup!
July 6: The Inhumans Almost! Captain Marvel is here now!
Nov. 2: Incredible Hulk And here's where The Inhumans ended up!

2019:
May 3:Doctor Strange 2 Nope! Randomly, Avengers 4 is here!

So Marvel and Disney don't want to give Scarlet her own Marvel movie, eh?

I found clean versions of all the new logos

tumblr_ne667cg4a81rw6hzpo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_ne667cg4a81rw6hzpo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_ne667cg4a81rw6hzpo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_ne667cg4a81rw6hzpo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_ne667cg4a81rw6hzpo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ne667cg4a81rw6hzpo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ne667cg4a81rw6hzpo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_ne667cg4a81rw6hzpo7_1280.jpg

Too bad Hulk and Scarlett J don't get their own movies

And this confirms Avengers 3 is a Thanos / Infinity Stones movie, of course. And that it is being split into 2 films as was rumored.

Them releasing their Captain Marvel movie in 2018 is a direct response to DC releasing their Captain Marvel movie (titled Shazam and starring Dwayne The Rock Johnson) in 2019, I'd say.

Anyways, the Marvel movie is about a character named Carol Danvers, so it's probably hard to confuse her for The Rock :)

Civil War was a major storyline in Marvel comics in which Captain America and Iron Man clash over a superhero registration act. Stark wants everyone to register, so Cap goes rogue and, I think, gets arrested at the end (or something). Anyway, it was a big event in the universe, that's why the title is so... important.

Karol

Them releasing their Captain Marvel movie in 2018 is a direct response to DC releasing their Captain Marvel movie (titled Shazam and starring Dwayne The Rock Johnson) in 2019, I'd say.

That's the only Marvel film in that announcement that has me excited. But then Wonder Woman will have beaten her to the big screen by about a year, if the WW date for June 23, 2017 holds.

Civil War was a major storyline in Marvel comics in which Captain America and Iron Man clash over a superhero registration act. Stark wants everyone to register, so Cap goes rogue and, I think, gets arrested at the end (or something). Anyway, it was a big event in the universe, that's why the title is so... important.

Karol

Tony Stark couldn't stand Shield, so why would he advocate government registration? What is he some kind of a communist?

Karol

Tony Stark couldn't stand Shield, so why would he advocate government registration? What is he some kind of a communist?
Possibly something in Age of Ultron might change his stance. I'm speculating here, of course.

Karol

Why is Marvel making these huge movies with stars that were nobodies before, but not greenlighting one starring world wide superstar Scarlet Johansson?