Giacchino -NOT- "working alongside" Williams on Star Wars 7 score

Jay

The AICN report was wrong, Giacchino debunked this story on his twitter!

https://twitter.com/m_giacchino/status/466603039701622784

That's what Ain't It Cool News is reporting, from this article about Giacchino scoring Jurassic World

On top of his work on films like UP (which won him an Oscar), SPEED RACER, and nearly all of J.J. Abrams' projects, he approximated Williams' E.T. and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND scores for Abrams' SUPER 8, and is working alongside the legendary composer on STAR WARS: EPISODE VII. He's also done a great job incorporating a franchise's iconic score into the last two MISSION: IMPOSSIBLEs, so I think he'll do a better job of utilizing Williams' classic themes than Davis did in JP III.

(Bolding mine)

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/67282

Discuss!

Giacchino has been one of the hottest names in the film score game for a few years now, and is far closer in credibility to Mr. Williams than Davis ever was.

Pure bullshit. Like Williams, Davis is an established concert composer, which is why he was the perfect choice to replace Williams on JPIII. Davis is aware of the latest threads in contemporary music, has an incredible sense of craft, and a well-defined musical footprint. Giacchino is a lightweight in comparison.

he approximated Williams' E.T. and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND scores for Abrams' SUPER 8

ROTFLMAO

is working alongside the legendary composer on STAR WARS: EPISODE VII.

PLEASE NO.

The Ain't It Cool News article writers gives no source for his statement, so there's really no credibility to this at all.

On the other hand, it makes sense that if Williams thinks he won't be scoring Episodes 8 and 9, that maybe he'd want Giacchino to be a part of the scoring process for 7 so when the baton is passed, he's more ready for the job.

This article doesn't have much credibility to it. I doubt its true.

But Giacchino will probably be at the booth during the recording sessions.

Giacchino has been one of the hottest names in the film score game for a few years now, and is far closer in credibility to Mr. Williams than Davis ever was.

Pure bullshit. Like Williams, Davis is an established concert composer, which is why he was the perfect choice to replace Williams on JPIII. Davis is aware of the latest threads in contemporary music, has an incredible sense of craft, and a well-defined musical footprint. Giacchino is a lightweight in comparison.

Ditto.

Davis >>>> Giacchino

Preposterous! Ridiculous! Scurrilous! Blasphemous! Humbug! Harrumph!!! :stick:

God, I hope this isn't true, and I can't for the life if me think of a good reason why it would be, except if there's already a scheduling conflict, and Williams is only to offer themes and some set-pieces, and Giacchino is set to adapt. Williams seems very invested in this project, so I would be suprised. Unless it's a Spielberg-project...

Unfortunately, I have yet to be impressed by Giacchino, and I remain less than convinced about his level of craftsmanship. He would need to hire a really good orchestrator/composer's assistant to help "bridge the gap"...

But it could be that Williams has already decided to retire from the Star Wars saga, with Episode VII sort of leaving the gate open for the next composer. And given that Giacchino is Abrams' "go to" guy, it could make some sense, I suppose.

Williams doesn't strike me as the kind of composer whose method would really be conducive to "joint ventures", and I would be surprised if he'd be comfortable writing alongside somebody else.

Maybe he's gonna be conducting and recording with the LSO in England since Williams probably doesn't want to fly out.

I fucking hope that's all it is.

Maybe he's gonna be conducting and recording with the LSO in England since Williams probably doesn't want to fly out.

I fucking hope that's all it is.

Giacchino doesn't conduct. Tim Simonec conducts mosts of Gia's scores

It's written as a throw-away line. Probably just a mistake or misunderstanding.

I think so too

I am waiting for more reliable Bothan spies to bring extra information on the matter before turning livid, dyspeptic and disheartened.

Gia doesn't conduct his own compositions?

Pfft, that makes sense actually. I agree with the late John Barry on that one.

Neither does JNH nor a good number of current film composers.

Indeed. Says a lot.

Indeed. Says a lot.

Indeed. About us.

This is how rumors and misinformation spread. If it doesn't come from Lucasfilm/Disney, then don't believe it or spread it. Yes, rumors can turn out to be true, but if it isn't announced by Lucasfilm/Disney, then it is still just a rumor. Let all the casting rumors be the example, except for the rumors about the original actors, which was obvious they were returning. The official announcement about Williams returning doesn't mention him working with Giacchino or any other composer.

You must consider The Omen trilogy one of Goldsmith's worst then? ;)

Karol

I only know the first score! And Goldsmith was a badass who could do whatever the hell he liked.

Karol

I only know the first score! And Goldsmith was a badass who could do whatever the hell he liked.

I meant that he didn't conduct any of them. ;)

(Well, he might have the second one)

Karol

I don't think Giacchino would want this himself, would he? Didn't he say something about wanting John Williams to do it? I reckon he's bright enough to know what this film needs.

Besides, it sounds like a blurb.

Karol

Karol

I meant that he didn't conduct any of them. ;)

(Well, he might have the second one)

Karol

We should add Danny Elfman to the list of non-conductors.

Those hack bastards!

Rebel scum I say! Should be rounded up and whipped, tarred and feathered and sent into the wilderness of East Hollywood naked!

I see only one way this could possibly be true

That due to his advancing age Williams is no longer able to compose all the cues, but he looked in good shape last we know

Disturbing and hilarious? Sounds like one of Augie's trolling threads.

Karol

I only know the first score!

Give Omen 3: The Final Conflict a whirl. I reckon you'll love it.

I don't think Giacchino would want this himself, would he? Didn't he say something about wanting John Williams to do it? I reckon he's bright enough to know what this film needs.

Besides, it sounds like a blurb.

Karol

This is what Giacchino said in April 2013, before Williams was confirmed and after after Abrams was confirmed to direct:

"One of the things that excites me most about 'Star Wars' coming back is chance to hear a John Williams score." "He has been a great teacher to me and good friend and I would love nothing more than to hear more of his music from that universe" and "If it were up to me I would say 'John, you must do it.'"

Well, remember when in the early 2002 when people were speculating on JW's health based on the Salt Lake City performance?

Karol

Lee doesn't seem to be very fond of choirs, though.

Karol

Well, remember when in the early 2002 when people were speculating on JW's health based on the Salt Lake City performance?

What was wrong with that? I don't remember it sparked any talk about his health

What was wrong with that? I don;t remember it sparked any rumors

That he looked unhealthy and people wondered whether he'll be around to do ROTS? It was very bizarre.

Karol

Karol

Karol

Well there are those fantastic french horn fanfares there that might change his mind. The Final Conflict is really worth a spin (or ten)!

Final Conflict has some of the best choir pieces in film music

The first 2 Omen scores creep me out to much to listen to them

Watched the film recently. The score literally does all the work. Literally.

Karol

Indeed. Better leave the film unwatched and just listen to the album!

Karol

Karol

I'm not? That's odd considering I bathed in Shore's choral heavy Middle-Earth for nearly ten years straight.

Or are you basing it on my dislike of the wailing and shrieking heard at the end of Hymn to the Fallen?

@Sharky

I normally only get to know scores after seeing and enjoying their film. Sadly Jerry scored a lot of crap I'll never watch.

Karol

Karol

I'm not? That's odd considering I bathed in Shore's choral heavy Middle-Earth for nearly ten years straight.

Or are you basing it on my dislike of the wailing and shrieking heard at the end of Hymn to the Fallen?

Well, that, Goldsmith's First Knight, Evil Dead and other things like that. You pointed out that chorus was the reason you disliked those so much. I might not remember correctly.

Seriously, though, check this one out. It sounds nothing like the first score:

Karol

is working alongside the legendary composer on STAR WARS: EPISODE VII.

... maybe just orchestrating? "Working alongside" does not necessarily mean "composing a part of the score".