Headphones

bob23

Yes, I definitely get music-overload sometimes. But sometimes it can be a real sanity saver as well.

EDIT: Gosh, now I want these headphones. Read some reviews and they're not expensive at all.

Karol

I don't travel, bike or walk around while listening to music.

I really resent the people who do. Ok, when I'm traveling as a passenger, I'll listen to headphones to immerse myself, but usually end up falling asleep on a bus ride, or trying to take photos out the window on an airplane. And when driving, I either have the radio on or my iPod plugged in.

But the people who wear headphones/earphones while jogging or biking...grrr. It's like they're in their own little world, oblivious to the rest of us. As a driver, this aggravates me. They should do a study of how many people are mauled by animals, hit by vehicles, or nailed by trains because they were listening to music and didn't hear death knock.

I really resent the people who do.

But the people who wear headphones/earphones while jogging or biking...grrr. It's like they're in their own little world, oblivious to the rest of us. As a driver, this aggravates me. They should do a study of how many people are mauled by animals, hit by vehicles, or nailed by trains because they were listening to music and didn't hear death knock.

u-phukin-suk__171.gif

Yesterday I almost crashed my bike into another biker because she was completely in her own world while listening to music. It reminded me of Wojo's rant about folks wearing headphones in traffic.

Alex

Wearing headphones while driving is illegal. Wearing headphones while biking or running on the open road or a trail should be as well. Wanna jog on a track or treadmill? Go right ahead.

Or...they just make it open season on people who wear headphones jogging or biking. Wanna listen? It's fine. But you're fair game if I drive into you. I'll start putting stickers right below the side mirror for the number of confirmed kills I score.

That's because you live in teensy ittle bitty country that anyone with enough time on their hands could walk from one end of the other to without having to drive.

Here, we drive to protect ourselves from the lions, tigers, and bears escaping from everyone's local menagerie.

What's the impedance? Sennheiser usually is 32 ohm.

Hey, look, here's a comparison review between the HD558 and the HD598. Wow, he's even explaining with photos how you can make the HD558 sound almost identical to the more expensive HD598! (Apparently, they both have the same driver, only the housing is different)

http://www.headfonia...d558-and-hd598/

Edit: In answer to your query, one of the readers responds with:

Even though these are 50 Ohm phones, anything can drive them well, and they make everything sound better, be it a hifi or a an ipod (don't turn your nose up at me! I've got both).

Alex

I tried a store demo of the HD558

they sounded good but they are much harder to drive than my current Grados and I don't think they would cut it on my PC unless I buy a headphone amp.(another 150$)

I like the 1 cord design. They'd be much easier to use than the tangle prone grados

I might buy this DAC and amp for my PC

http://www.nuforce.c...ucts/iconudac2/

well. yes.

but the 598 would cost me a fortune here and I'm not "modding" anything.They had a deal on the 558 for 150$ so I was curious .

The thing is they store put it on special but it was nowhere in stock and you had to order them..so I didn't buy them

"Modding" the thing wasn't the only thing in my post but anyway ...

If impedance is the only factor (I'm not sure) that decides whether a pair of headphones will be compatible with a PC or an portable device (tablet, Ipod, phone) than 50 Ohm can't be the problem. Both my Blackberry phone or my Toshiba laptop can drive my Audio Technica studio heaphones (50 Ohm) without any problem. Usually you only need headphone amps for models like Beyerdynamic DT-770/DT-880 (250 Ohm versions) or Sennheiser HD650 or comparable.

What I was trying to say is that I tried the 558's on my ipod and it couldn't drive the earphones at max volume. And the amp in my ipod nano is stonger than my PC's

I'm telling you guys if you got the V-Moda Octave earbuds you'll be glad you bought them. They are pretty powerful and have a nice crisp sound and are great for film orchestra scores. They can also be worn for a long time with out hurting your ears like most earbuds. They are worth 100% of the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-V-Moda-Octave-Earbuds-Headphones/dp/B0035BHB5S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319962617&sr=8-1

I sort of have to on some c.d. The earphone jack isn't very powerful ( about 1/2 as loud as ipod)

When I find albums that are too quiet, I try to boost the volume of the files themselves on the PC. Many older classical music albums are extremely quiet with respect to newer soundtrack and rock albums.

All I see in stock in stores are various incarnations of Monster Beats headphones. I bet they sound like crap but they seem like the in thing right now

You mean most new soundtrack and rock albums are far too loud!

Indeed but some old albums are too quiet with maximum peaks at -5dB. (0dB is the maximum in digital recording). You can easily change the volume (gain 5dB) without changing the dynamics of the track.

Alex

yeah but playing around with the file volume themselves is a bit tricky. It's time consuming and easy to cause distortion

Don't waste your money on that garbage.

For less $, you can get pro audio sound and durability with one of these puppies;

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B000J0IIEQ

yeah especially after reading this

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61746

yeah but playing around with the file volume themselves is a bit tricky. It's time consuming and easy to cause distortion

Depends on how you do it, I guess. The following procedure shouldn't give you any problems. 1) Import a CD track in an sound editing program (Wavelab, Soundforge). 2) Let the program find the maximum peak (takes about a few seconds). 3) Adjust the volume or maximize the signal (takes about a few seconds). For best results, opt for -0,3dB instead of 0dB. 4) Save.

Finished.

Alex

Got this external USB Soundblaster X-Fi HD soundcard. Has a dedicated headphone amp

http://www.bestbuy.c...856324c6b85en02

Does what I wanted plus a ton more options. So far I can say it's a big step up from the earphone output on the PC

What do you guys think are the best headphones for under $100? These are going to be for home use only, so I don't care about mobility, or noise cancellation. I'm not looking for ear buds here - I want ones that comfortably covering my whole ears. These are the ones I have my eye on now:

Sony MDR7506

But I'd love more opinions! Just make sure they are under $100 :) Thanks!

First 2 are the same. I think you can also get a pad that leaves a hole in the middle but I wouldn;t get that it's less comfortable.

SR60i fixed the issues of old SR60 (slight lack of bass and some found the treble a bit harsh)

SR80i is harder to drive properly (again the whole headphone amp thing ), so I wouldn't get that for a regular PC headphone jack .Yes if you plan to use your stereo amplifier