What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

UNE ADOLESCENTE - Shigeru Umebayashi

Interesting fusion of jazz, french piano minimalism á la Poulenc mixed with sonorous asian stillness. Very stylish piano, (nicely pipy) woodwind and cello duets. The subdued, halting romanticism has a foreboding quality that is broken up with slightly more upbeat strummed guitar cues that may point to some kind of road movie, i just was too lazy to check what the movie is about. And the best of it, the 30 minutes are about the perfect length for the material. Thank you, Shigeru Umebayashi, for one of the few recent releases that don't require heavy scissors.

Oh I like this!

Thoughts so far on Nemesis:

- This is another stellar Goldsmith recording. I wish recordings of Williams' music sounded half this good.

- The Argo motif is straight out of Executive Decision, but sounds better here

- "Odds and Ends" is a fantastic action cue. The first of many.

- The Reman/Schinzon theme has a much better hook than the somewhat bland and repetitive Sona theme in Insurrection

- I started to get bored around "The Knife". I can't wait for this stuff to end.

- This score flows fairly well in complete/chronological presentation until you reach the aforementioned track.

- Then, it becomes a prime example of why complete/chronological is not always ideal.

The Empire Strikes Back - John Williams.

Did anybody notice the statement of Luke's theme in the strings at 4:10 of The Ice Planet Hoth?

I had never noticed that, and I've listened to this score a thousand times. Good find :)

Star Trek: First Contact (complete)

Star Trek: Insurrection (complete)

I do think that First Contact is a very strong score. Perhaps it's a bit overrated, but there's so much Trekkian Goldsmith greatness in there. Fuck, now I feel like listening to it again!

As for Insurrection, this one is admittedly less interesting. It never comes alive like FC, although there are some Jerry stunners scattered throughout. This one isn't necessary in complete form. I do consider this Goldsmith's weakest Trek score and it's very rare that I come back to it in complete form. But even a middle-of-the-road Jerry Goldsmith Star Trek score is still more entertaining than most anything else as far as I'm concerned.

Up next: the underrated Star Trek: Nemesis complete score.

I felt that Insurrection has more variety than First Contact. There's something about it that feels too monochromatic for my taste.

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

by Jeremy Soule

I listened to this late last night while I couldn't sleep. Was browsing the internet at the time and my tiredness probably didn't help my attention span, but I enjoyed what I remember. Didn't feel too far off from what would come after, despite what TGP and Incanus mentioned. Thoroughly felt like it belonged in the same universe. Will give it a proper listen later, as I am currently on...

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Making my way through the massive 4-disc set. Haven't listened to much of it since the game's release, and before diving in I thought that there was no way it could hold up as a listening experience compared to Morrowind and Oblivion's abridged albums, but it does. Not to mention how effortlessly it threw me back into that world.

:music: "The Streets Of Whiterun"

This is definitely the time of year to listen to Skyrim, especially if you live somewhere where the season really shows itself. Ahh, this is one drawback of southern California. Must soon visit the parents/in-laws/brother and family in Colorado and listen to that.

If you return to them twice a week since the beginning of time, it may seem so.

Brainwashing never sounded so good!

Temple of Doom OST.

What a lovely meal that was! I'm full.

Like ROTJ, it sounded great on the OST album and then it was apparently made to sound worse when it was reissued. At some point in the late 80s, Williams decided he wanted his scores to sound like shit.

And probably before TOD was released.

SOUNDER - Alex North

If you like bucolic Goldsmith á la 'Lilies of the Field', 'The Waltons' or 'Raggedy Man', Alex North offers you from the same template a very sweet americana score full of small-scale strings, guitar and harmonica. Not much o add except that it's a great moodbrightener on our wintry nightfall at 3pm.

Oh. STAR TREK scores. Again...

:whistle:

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Collection. Again...

Disc 1 (McCarthy) is the weak link (it's the only one where I skip tracks), but overall this is one of my favorite sets ever. Sounds great on the hi-fi. I'm beginning with the Jay Chattaway disc and I'll probably just continue all the way to the end.

Oh. STAR TREK scores. Again...

:whistle:

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Collection. Again...

Disc 1 (McCarthy) is the weak link (it's the only one where I skip tracks), but overall this is one of my favorite sets ever. Sounds great on the hi-fi. I'm beginning with the Jay Chattaway disc and I'll probably just continue all the way to the end.

Where is the 40 minute highlight album? I'd listen to that.

True enough. There was no highlight album. There was an OST for the pilot episode and a few other various cues on compilation albums. The Collection's 4th disc which is comprised of the scores for "Our Man Bashir", "Trials and Tribble-ations" and "What You Leave Behind" is the closest thing, as it was originally supposed to be released as an album.

True enough. There was no highlight album. There was an OST for the pilot episode and a few other various cues on compilation albums. The Collection's 4th disc which is comprised of the scores for "Our Man Bashir", "Trials and Tribble-ations" and "What You Leave Behind" is the closest thing, as it was originally supposed to be released as an album.

But in all honesty it might be a tad difficult to release an album that would be representative of the whole 7 seasons of the show. So there was never say 1 soundtrack disc per season released?

Nope. The vastly superior scores for DS9 really got the shaft while metric fucktons of useless TNG music was released. That being said, the LLL Collection is very well done and contains many of the highlights of the series.

Well at least these days the appreciation for the music television series is at all time high considering the labels releasing this material. In the 90s it was a rare TV show that warranted a soundtrack release. Although there were strange exceptions like Babylon 5 with few longer concept album style CDs and shorter episode soundtracks being released.

I love this score. It's one of the pieces of film music that are responsible for me being a fan. And Neil did a fantastic job on this one, nothing to fix on this one.

Karol

I agree.

Maybe I'm just a nutball, but the track I was most excited for when the expanded version came out was "Super Freak" from the Maxquerade ball. Perhaps my favorite source music of all time! Thank God it was on there.

As was typical of Elfman scores of the era (you know, the ones I actually know and listen to), the End Credits cue is just an onslaught of incredible, perhaps definitive, renditions of the principal themes. Makes you want to listen to the whole thing all over again!