The Dark Knight Rises

John Crichton

A bit off topic, but since some of you were interested in the two part The Dark Knight Returns animated movie that is coming out in September, Robocop himself, Peter Weller, has been announced as the voice of Batman/Bruce Wayne

A bit off topic, but since some of you were interested in the two part The Dark Knight Returns animated movie that is coming out in September, Robocop himself, Peter Weller, has been announced as the voice of Batman/Bruce Wayne

That is unexpected. Makes sense in theory but I don't know if he would have been my first choice. I'm eager to hear what he comes up with.

Looks good.

But is it r-rated and aimed at adults, or neutered and aimed at kids?

I don't think it would be totally the latter. At least a few of the DC Animated movies have been PG-13, so it would be a minimum of that.

The second and seventh grabs particularly intrigue me. They both kinda remind me of the first run of the animated series--the former because of the style and color scheme of the background, and the latter because it looks like it could be a title card from one of those episodes.

I don't think it would be totally the latter. At least a few of the DC Animated movies have been PG-13, so it would be a minimum of that.

Yeah, it's been confirmed to be PG-13 which means they'll have to do some editing. You can push the rating pretty far (Nolan's own Dark Knight sure did), but as anyone who's read the comic knows, it gets pretty dark. I mean, at one point Joker kills an entire troop of boy scouts.

Here are all the character posters:

the-dark-knight-rises-poster-1.jpg

the-dark-knight-rises-poster-2.jpg

the-dark-knight-rises-poster-3.jpg

the-dark-knight-rises-poster-4.jpg

the-dark-knight-rises-poster-5.jpg

the-dark-knight-rises-poster-6.jpg

I can't say I love them but they're better than that awful poster posted above...

So far I only like the one with thE buildings, the one with the broken mask and the blue/white Batman one for the UK.

Which one is the UK one? I haven't seen it.

But so far, I agree with you. I really liked the first one that came out and the broken mask one was cool too. These ones just seem a bit lazy (especially the first of these new posters).

Haha, that makes sense. Ya those ones are an improvement. Still, all these posters really took the franchise in a different direction, or at least thats what I'm getting out of it visually.

Definitely one of my most-anticipated films of the year (contrary to what the promos of the Spiderman trash think...)

TDKR is easily the most anticipated of the year. Everyone i've met for ASM is either "meh, looks average; looks like shit, or looks decent"

I wanna see it, but TDKR is easily what i've been looking forward to the most.

Naw. TDKR would have been my most-anticipated if it weren't for The Hobbit. I suspect in the end, more people will be looking forward to that.

TDKR is definitely one of my most-anticipated and easily tops the summer, but The Hobbit takes the cake in the end.

Let's see which one turns out to be the bigger disappointment.... ;)

- KK, always the Pessimist

Wow. Robocop is playing the voice of Batman. Awesome. I thought Michael Ironside was going to do the voice like he did in the Legends of the Dark Knight episode that featured a short segment of "The Dark Knight Returns". But I guess it makes sense to get Weller for this since Miller wrote Robocop 2 also. Too bad they didn't get jKeaton. But Weller is just as cool. My anticipation for this has now gotten even bigger.

My excitement for this film wanes with every new teaser or spot that surfaces.

Nolan's previous two Batman films have had humor-centered TV spots... didn't ruin the films for me. I think some people are thinking that since The Avengers was pretty light and humorous, that the WB marketing department is taking the same approach for TDKR. But they're not.

I can see your point. The TV spots do reveal a bit more about the timeline of the film, when certain events occurred...

Since (the real) Robocop is playing Batman in TDKReturns animated movie. I guess it makes sense for Commissioner Gordon to play Robo's creator in the unnecessary remake.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/gary-oldman-robocop-328774

As much as I'm not looking forward to this "so called" remake. I might check it out some time down the line b/c of Oldman. If he's interested in this remake then there's gotta be something good about it.

My excitement for this film wanes with every new teaser or spot that surfaces.

Nolan's previous two Batman films have had humor-centered TV spots... didn't ruin the films for me. I think some people are thinking that since The Avengers was pretty light and humorous, that the WB marketing department is taking the same approach for TDKR. But they're not.

I can see your point. The TV spots do reveal a bit more about the timeline of the film, when certain events occurred...

Actually, the film just looks genuinely uninteresting to me.

It doesn't help that I never was a huge fan of Bane, and making him a terrorist (as far as I know) is pretty cheap to me because there are so many movies and villains that are based on terrorism.

And if the music in the trailer is from the score, all I can do is yawn big time.

But I give Nolan a lot of credit for ending the series properly, unlike certain other directors who did superhero films. *cough* Raimi *cough*

It's sad that we don't get to see other Batman villains like the Riddler or the Penguin or Two-Face...

A character like the Riddler would probably be written to resemble The Joker's craziness in Nolan's Batman universe. And then it'll be accused of being a rehash. And we DID see Two-Face in the 2nd film!

The Penguin wouldn't fit in Nolan's universe anyways.

It's sad that we don't get to see other Batman villains like the Riddler or the Penguin or Two-Face...

A character like the Riddler would probably be written to resemble The Joker's craziness in Nolan's Batman universe. And then it'll be accused of being a rehash. And we DID see Two-Face in the 2nd film!

The Penguin wouldn't fit in Nolan's universe anyways.

Oh yeah I forgot!

I've never understood the argument against Penguin in the Nolan films. If anything, he's one of the villains that would fit the easiest. How does a mobster who has a certain physique and an affinity for birds and uses his nightclub to provide cover for his operations somehow not fit in?

Well, there's the umbrellas. But even that doesn't have to be too crazy or unbelievable. Honestly, I think would be cool for him to be someone Batman can go to for information and stuff. He doesn't have to be a primary villain, just another way of fleshing out that world in a way that's rooted in the comics.

Just watched the 2 new TV spots posted... honestly, they made me more excited for the film than the most recent trailer!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Koray. WaterTower will use that fugly one-sheet artwork for the CD release. You know, the one with Batman superimposed over the flaming bat logo. This is cleverly done fan art... I wouldn't trust this artwork unless it's directly on the official site.

That cover looks fine. Isn't one of the characters in the trailer shown drawing that image, or otherwise viewing it? It'll mean something important in the film's story. From a metaphorical standpoint, it's heavy -- the dark knight rises. To rise, one must be low. You can't get much lower than the ground, and a crude bat-logo drawn on the ground...

:sarcasm:

That cover looks fine. Isn't one of the characters in the trailer shown drawing that image, or otherwise viewing it? It'll mean something important in the film's story. From a metaphorical standpoint, it's heavy -- the dark knight rises. To rise, one must be low. You can't get much lower than the ground

What about underground?

We would have to be down there as well to observe a relative rise with respect to the underground. And since most of Gotham's denizens live above street level -- I doubt that Nolan would introduce Killer Croc this late in the ball game -- any appreciable distance for Batman to have descended underground before beginning his titular rise is moot.

Now if Batman wanted to go so far underground as to emerge in China, well...strike that, we already saw him hang out in Nepal for a stint getting high on blue flowers and fighting the Sherpas in Al-Ghul's castle. Although he will return for this movie. "I could've done more to destroy Gotham." Now, Mr. Ghul, you'll get your chance.