Sherlock (BBC)

Melange

Sherlock is one of the best shows to be produced in the last decade. It's incredibly well written, acted, directed, edited, and scored.

I respect you, Jason, but isn't it a fact that you happen to love just about every TV show out there?

Two completely different things. I watch and enjoy a lot of shows, yes. But there are very few that I specifically praise their writing and other qualities.

There's a difference between enjoyable and GOOD, you follow?

In my opinion the best shows of the last decade or so are (in no particular order)

dramas:

Carnivale

Battlestar Galactica

Sherlock

The Sopranos

Six Feet Under

Breaking Bad

The Shield

Wonderfalls

The Inside

Dollhouse

(I still need to see The Wire!)

(Dexter would be on the list of the quality of season 1 remained throughout the following seasons... but since its gone so downhill I still say its VERY good but not top 10)

comedies:

Arrested Development

Sons and Daughters (the 2006 Fred Gross one)

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Modern Family

Scrubs

Better Off Ted

Parks and Recreation

Community

Undeclared

Coupling

What's wrong with Modern Family? It's the smartest comedy to appear on a major network in ages

dramas:

Carnivale

The Sopranos

Six Feet Under

Breaking Bad

Agreed wholeheartedly on those, then again, I'm such a HBO fanboy. However, I don't see Treme, Mad Men, Rome, Deadwood on your list. You are not to be trusted!

So what's the show focussing on? Who did it? Who's the murderer? Sherlock saves the day? Another Hercule Poirot? How smart is Sherlock this time? If so, I might as well watch The Mentalist!

Agreed wholeheartedly on those, then again, I'm such a HBO fanboy. However, I don't see Treme, Mad Men, Rome, Deadwood on your list. You are not to be trusted!

Well I've never seen Treme, Mad Men, or Rome, so they can't be on my list.

I did watch Deadwood and enjoyed it, but didn't love it. Definitely not top 10 material.

So what's the show focussing on? Who did it? Who's the murderer? Sherlock saves the day? Another Hercule Poirot?

It's set in the modern day, and features Sherlock, Watson, Mycroft, Irene Adler and Moriarty, but the stories are all original, though being inspired by the original stories. Each episode, which is a really a 90 minute movie (each season is 3 90-minute movies), features them tackling one main case and usually a minor case as well. However, it is not treated like a series of unconnected movies, there is the normal character development you'd see in a show. Some episodes begin with a bunch of character progression and developments before they even get the case that will be their main one for the episode.

It's written by Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss, and stars Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock and Martin Freeman as Watson.

It's brilliant.

It's set in the modern day, and features Sherlock, Watson, Mycroft, Irene Adler and Moriarty, but the stories are all original, though being inspired by the original stories. Each episode, which is a really a 90 minute movie (each season is 3 90-minute movies), features them tackling one main case and usually a minor case as well. However, it is not treated like a series of unconnected movies, there is the normal character development you'd see in a show. Some episodes begin with a bunch of character progression and developments before they even get the case that will be their main one for the episode.

The thing is, if it's a mainstream show about a detective doing detective work, I'm out! No more Mannix, Columbo, McMillan And Wife, Magnum P.I., Moonlighting, Kojak or Ellery Queen for me. Unless, of course, it's an unconventional HBO kinda of show or something like AMC's Breaking Bad.

Alex

It's all about style and behaviour Alex.

You'd like Cumberbatch's Sherlock...he's JUST like you....

That's not true at all. I root for Sherlock.

sofia_vergara_6.jpg

What is the relevance of this uber chick?

So what's the show focussing on? Who did it? Who's the murderer? Sherlock saves the day? Another Hercule Poirot? How smart is Sherlock this time? If so, I might as well watch The Mentalist!

I'd say it's fundamentally about character interaction.

I'm usually not a lot into these stories, but this did it in such a way that it became addictive and then it ended.

It's not perfect, but if it managed to work for me, whose demands for TV shows are insane and could barely count two favourite shows, I don't see how it wouldn't work for you.

Honestly, I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped I would, or as much as everyone else clearly did. But I did enjoy it nonetheless. Excellent production, in a genre I can take or leave.

The thing is, if it's a mainstream show about a detective doing detective work, I'm out! No more Mannix, Columbo, McMillan And Wife, Magnum P.I., Moonlighting, Kojak or Ellery Queen for me. Unless, of course, it's an unconventional HBO kinda of show or something like AMC's Breaking Bad.

Alex

There's nothing mainstream about it at all. I take it you have not seen any modern BBC dramatic television, and are not aware of the writing of Steve Moffat? Even if you are, there's still surprises for you, as this show is even more unconventional than anything else around right now. I'm actually surprised nothing has started aping its style yet

What is the relevance of this uber chick?

She's one of the main characters on Modern Family

Big fan of Sherlock on the BBC. Thought I would share my rendition of some of the themes from the show:

Saw the Blu-ray of series 1 in the shop today for 12.99 Euro. Is that a good deal?

I forget what country you live in, but Amazon UK is selling the Series 1 Blu Ray for £5.29

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003TO541O/

Or a box set of both Series 1 and Series 2 for £18.97

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006K1IIHA/

I just started to watch season 1 again since it happens to be on TV. It is every bit as interesting and involving as on the first go. :)

The writing has from the start been strong with enough connections to the Conan Doyle stories and the cast is equally well picked. Apart from the main duo Mark Gatiss as Mycroft Holmes is especially noteworthy for that excellently balanced half dry, half menacing performance and Rupert Graves' Lestrade is a bit more multi nuanced and involved in these new stories.

I just saw to my horror the 2nd new Sherlock Holmes movie starring Robert Downey Jr. (at my friends' insistence) and it really brought home to me the difference between modernizing the story and characters and just making them "cool and epic" in modern sense. Where the new films make Sherlock Holmes part anachronistic hero and part modern cool youth icon in the wrong era with endless action, slow motion and bullet time and pomp and pizzazz, the TV series transports Sherlock Holmes succesfully to the 21st century while retaining much more of the spirit of the original character and stories and developing much more complex and interesting characters instead of offering us a overblown feast of special effects. And thus this TV series really wipes the floor with "all style no substance" films like the Game of Shadows.

A small observation on the music: both the new films and this series seem to tap into the off-kilter Eastern European instruments and a bit unbalanced themes to represent Holmes and his investigations. I guess genious is always somewhat unhinged musically. :P

Oh my. I just realized I never watched the original pilot of the series but by some hook or crook the unaired pilot. I thought some scenes in the 1st episode looked unfamiliar. Now I know why. :lol:

Unaired pilot!!!!!!

Would it not be called "pilot" if it was unaired/didn't fly lol

It's the same Study in Pink with small differences. They reshot some material and that was the pilot aired. I have no idea did they actually broadcast the early version or is it available by some other means (DVD extra etc.) but I remember that I did not watch this "official" version on the first go. :)

It's the magical land of internet. All things are possible and often miracles go unexplained even here. Looks like a case for Sherlock Holmes!

The original ep is far better than the unaired pilot. The first episode was good fun but it didn't particularly impress me. The second was weaker. But it was the third ep that ii fell in love with!

I just finished the third ep. OMG. Wow. Cumberbatch and Freeman are great. I love the writing and I love love love the music and especially the shots of London with the super focal points and deep blurring- it's like the miniature work we were talking about in the hobbit thread. It's just such a great series, I can hardly wait to watch 2. What a cliff hanger it was left on. damn them!!!! I need to see things a couple of times to be able to nit pick so don't expect that from me. I love British television do don't expect much picking from me. Cumberbatch. YUM YUM YUM. That hair!

Glad you got there! It's a helluva cliffhanger, indeed. Are you watching the series through Netflix, or DVDs, or what?