THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

Jay

It could get a score nomination. I wasn't expecting Tintin to get a nomination considering it wasn't an Oscar film. War Horse, yes, but not Tintin as well.

It could get a score nomination. I wasn't expecting Tintin to get a nomination considering it wasn't an Oscar film. War Horse, yes, but not Tintin as well.

Given that precedent, I wonder if TFA will receive a a best score nomination. It's the only JW score that year.

He very well could be nominated for TFA. He has been nominated for all his 2010's output so far. No doubt the film will receive some nominations... possibly in sound, costumes, effects, etc.

That could be. Although, as negatively received the prequels were, each received at least one nomination. I can understand AOTC and ROTS not receiving score nominations, but I think TPM should have been nominated for best score. The score was arguably the best part of the film, even in its hacked up form.

I think The Phantom Menace probably would have been nominated if not for Angela's Ashes being the more Oscar-y of the John Williams scores that year. Force Awakens, I think can get support unless the consensus is that the movie is a disappointment and/or the score feels like a rehash. He's been nominated for sequels, but the first two Star Wars/Indy sequels and Prisoner of Azkaban had a lot of outstanding new material and were highly praised for it. TFA would probably need another "Duel of the Fates" sized hit or some new, prominent color to the overall soundscape to get much notice from people.

I'm fairly certain both BFG and TFA will get score Oscar noms next year. If anything by Williams has been surefire nominations in the last few years, you can bet your ass everything x 10 is getting nominations now that he's cutting down assignments even more, pulling out of stuff etc.

I don't get why people here still obsess about the Oscars and awards season. Williams already has plenty, don't worry about it.

He needs to catch up with Disney! Only, like, 20-something more to go! :)

Speaking of Disney, does anybody else find it odd that "The Force Awakens" will be the very first score John Williams has ever done for Disney?

He probably would have made a pretty kickass score to Aladdin, The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Tarzan or Mulan, eh?

I think it's possible that TFA gets a nomination, considering that JW will not have any other scores in the running that year. In 1999, 2002 and 2005, he 1-4 other JW scores to compete with. That said, KotCS didn't get a nomination, and it was the only film score JW did in 2008.

BFG will definitely get a score nomination.

Well, at some point we has very close to score The Black Cauldron and he has seriously considered for Treasure Planet -both would have been excellent. I would have loved him to do Rescuers Down Under. Would have been a match made in heaven.

I don't have the sources, but the film was very heavily tracked with his music and at previews the directors were very confindent in that they were going to get him. I remember we discussed this topic a couple of times before right here.

After that didn't work, Alan Silvestri was the second option but for some reason he didn't do it and ended up in the good hands of JNH,

• 7 months later...

Well, we have been speculating about TFA for some time, perhaps it is time for groundless thoughts about BFG. One would think with TFA recorded, Williams will begin composing for BFG in the next month or so. I am completely unfamiliar with the story, so for those who grew up with the story, what should we expect?

Disney could have a trailer ready for The Good Dinosaur. If its not ready until March, it would be on Disney's Zootopia, not Warner Brother's Batman V Superman

• 3 months later...

Oh man, I wish BFG was getting the same amount of hype as SW. Anything for more media and internet focus on a new JW score. Can we expect any leaks from these scoring sessions? Even just impressions of the music from someone present?

Yeah, doubt this will be as shrouded in secrecy as the Star Wars sessions. We had pretty vivid descriptions of both War Horse and Tintin scores around the time they were recorded.

I realize I might be criticized as using "fanboy logic" of reading way to much into a throwaway line, but Spielberg explicitly says they are heading for 30 films together.  Does this mean there is another film besides RPO that is imminent?  Has anything been announced or strongly rumored?

There's also the Jennifer Lawrence journalist film, It's What I Do.

Spielberg develops plenty of properties with the intention of directing, only to pass when something else grabs his interest. Robopocalypse seems dead but it was almost his followup to Lincoln.

He tends to pair a crowd-pleaser with his Oscar-friendly dramas. War of the Worlds/Munich, Tintin/War Horse, Bridge of Spies/The BFG.  Pairing Ready Player One (lengthy post-production) with a small drama like It's What I Do makes sense, unless Montezuma goes ahead first. 

The latest on Spielberg's next 4 projects, as of December last year:

Spielberg will next roll cameras on Ready Player One for Warner Bros, based on an Ernest Cline sci-fi novel that is packed with 1980s references — including Spielberg’s own work.

Further upcoming projects include Montezuma, about 16th-century Spanish explorer Hernan Cortes and his historic battle against the Aztec emperor, Montezuma II. Spielberg is developing the project with Javier Bardem, who is set to play Cortes. “My executive producer is actually Kirk Douglas, who is 99 years old,” he adds, the same age as Spielberg’s father Arnold, who, the director proudly says, still reads all of his screenplays.

Spielberg also confirms he is working on It’s What I Do, starring Jennifer Lawrence as wartime photographer Lynsey Addario, one of four journalists held captive by the Libyan army in 2011.

There has also been talk of another Indiana Jones adventure, although after what many deemed a disappointing fourth instalment —Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull in 2008 — why would Spielberg return to the character yet again? “Because there are more adventures out there than films,” he says. “As long as there’s more adventures out there, I’ve got a bullwhip, a fedora, a leather jacket and a man on a horse who knows how to get the job done.

http://www.screendaily.com/awards/steven-spielberg-talks-bridge-of-spies-and-future-projects/5097606.article

2 hours ago, Mr. Big said:

Recording has started apparently!  

Wait a tick, did he just confirm John Williams for Ready Player One? Hm, isn't it his 27th movie by the way? Or is he counting Amazing Stories as a movie or something?