Headphones

bob23

6 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Received the AirPods today. Pricey for what they are but damn if they aren’t awesome. Instantly connected when the case is opened and the sensors know when they’re in your ears. Pop one out and music pauses. Pop it in, and it continues to play. 

Now that I’ve gotten the watch I’m seriously tempted by the AirPods.... 

I just got the regular Series 3 one.

The LTE one isn’t out here yet as none of the carriers have signed up to it yet and I didn’t really want to be spending more on my phone bill as it was. 

If the LTE one is an option and the price plan for data is good for you then it’s obviously the way to go!

I’m very happy with mine though. I can leave my phone in my pocket when I’m out and about and see my notifications and the fitness stuff looks really good although I’ve not had much time to look into it yet.

It’s a convenience thing for me but I’m really happy with it. 

Getting about 2 days out of the batter too which is brilliant. 

I mean the case type, bands, etc!

The space black stainless steel calls out to me but it’s price doesn’t. I also don’t like that you can’t pick any combo you want online and have to settle for their preset case-band packages. I think I’m going to get the space grey aluminum with the black sports band. Seems the most bang for buck.

I got Space Grey aluminium with grey sports band. 

iPod Classic. 

iPad mini. 

iPhone.

MacBook Pro.

Apple Watch, 

All Space Grey. So is my external hard drive, Really annoyed that the SuperDrive only came in regular silver because it stands out now. 

Their definition of Space Grey is fairly loose though :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Got the Sony MDR-1000X's in the mail today! :) The sound is wonderfully detailed and clear (I'd even daresay their sound is more accurate and detailed than that of my Beyerdynamic DT-770's), the bluetooth connectivity is a plus and the noise cancelling is just great (of course it doesn't cancel out everything, but it's okay for what it does).

I do have to get used to charging my headphones though. Wonder who came up with that ridiculous idea.

You only have to keep them charged if you want to use the bluetooth feature; Using the standard headphone jack doesn't require them to be charged.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

You only have to keep them charged if you want to use the bluetooth feature; Using the standard headphone jack doesn't require them to be charged.

Seemed obvious to me, but I read the sound quality deteriorates when not charging them. I suppose that must have been a mistake?

43 minutes ago, Jilal said:

Seemed obvious to me, but I read the sound quality deteriorates when not charging them. I suppose that must have been a mistake?

When you have a Bluetooth headphone, the DAC (digital-analog converter), which takes the 1s and 0s and turns them into signal for how to make the physical parts of the headphones move, is inside the headphone. 

When you plug the headphone directly into your headphone jack, the DAC in your headphones turn off, and you are using whatever the DAC is in your computer or phone. 

If that DAC sucks, it will sound worse than the Bluetooth. If it doesn’t suck it might still have a slightly different sound signature than the Bluetooth DAC in your headphones. 

2 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

When you have a Bluetooth headphone, the DAC (digital-analog converter), which takes the 1s and 0s and turns them into signal for how to make the physical parts of the headphones move, is inside the headphone. 

When you plug the headphone directly into your headphone jack, the DAC in your headphones turn off, and you are using whatever the DAC is in your computer or phone. 

If that DAC sucks, it will sound worse than the Bluetooth. If it doesn’t suck it might still have a slightly different sound signature than the Bluetooth DAC in your headphones. 

There are two ways to use the headphones while plugged in:

1) Using the headphones "turned on" (I assume this means the internal DAC is activated as you say) which of course depletes the battery.

2) Using them "turned off", which probably means what you suggest here.

The difference is barely noticeable when using my laptop, but I assume my cellphone might be less powerful than the former. I've looked into purchasing a portable FiiO DAC before, but I don't think it's particularly worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't this the same item? 

Bluetooth Headphones Over Ear,Mee'sport Music Wireless Headset with Microphone Hi-Fi Deep Bass Wireless Headsets Comfortable Protein Ear Cups 24 Hours Playtime for Travel Work TV Computer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0757QC743/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_UDFaAb08DRRGH

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of buying of buying a pair of headphones. Or, to be more specific, my sister is asking me what I want for Christmas. Haven't got that much of a budget to work with so was thinking of getting Audio-Technica ATH-M40X. It's supposed to be a less more balanced, less bass-heavy, and cheaper version of ATH-M40X. And supposedly they're lighter and more comfortable as well. Anyone familiar with those? Would you say they would be sufficient enough for film music purposes? Or do you have better suggestions around the same price? The only criticism I've heard about those two models that the soundstage might be a bit too narrow for orchestral recordings. But I'm no expert.

Karol

The head strap for my ATH-M50 headphones have dry rotted, likely from being seven years old and not stored in the bag. So they're still usable as long as I don't care about leaving bits of material around. 

The other one is not as bass heavy and more comfortable. And cheaper. But otherwise comparable in terms of quality. At least that is what I've heard.

@Woj and @Alexcremers. Do they sound good overall?

Karol

Sound is good. I was hoping they would become more comfortable over time but maybe I didn't wear them enough. The clamp is too strong and these days they use softer cushions. That's why I bought the Sony headphones. Every can't believe how comfortable they are, which is true, but the Bose AE2 still beat them. If you want a wider soundstage for orchestral music you shouldn't buy closed headphones. You need open-back headphones.

Mine are are not approved by Charles Xavier.

Based on your demands, I believe your looking for Sennheiser headphones. Marian Schedenig is the Sennheiser expert here.

They are known for their wide open soundstages and they aren't that bassy. Classical music fans tend to prefer them, just like rappers tend to prefer Beats.

Not a Sennheiser expert, no. I think when I was shopping a for headphones a few years back I focused on Sennheiser first, but I ended up getting the AKG K701. Still a big fan of them, although after years of constant use I really have to replaced the ear pads. However, they were about double what the Audio-Technica linked above cost (and exceeded my own original budget by quite a bit).

One thing I did learn: Comfort (and especially discomfort) is very subjective. Obvious, really, but the K701 for example were highly praised for their sound in most reviews, with a significant number stating that the headband is too painful to use them. I myself find them perfectly comfortable.

Whew. I was afraid you were going to recommend Sennheiser HD800 or something like that. ;)

The AKG's are not that expensive actually but they seem extremely uncomfortable just by looking at them. Plus really massive. For the time being I was looking for some more portable, not specifically to be used exclusively at home.

Karol

As I said, I find them perfectly comfortable, more so than any (cheaper ones) I've had before in fact. I wouldn't wear them outside, though, and more importantly, they need a LOT of power, so with most portable devices they're probably quite useless anyway.

16 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

One thing I did learn: Comfort (and especially discomfort) is very subjective. 

Not when they are especially designed to be comfortable (like the ones I mentioned).

15 hours ago, crocodile said:

Whew. I was afraid you were going to recommend Sennheiser HD800 or something like that. ;)

The AKG's are not that expensive actually but they seem extremely uncomfortable just by looking at them. Plus really massive. For the time being I was looking for some more portable, not specifically to be used exclusively at home.

Karol

The AKG K701/2 are the closest you will get to the HD800 actually. 

Properly amped, they sound about the same. The K702 have better highs in my opinion. 

Don’t be fooled by the low price of the K701/2 though. They will truly benefit from a good amp, which will run 200+. 

But Marian may have a different opinion. 

• 3 weeks later...

What headphone would you remembered that mimic 5.1 or 7.1, moving into a smaller shared space and will no longer have the ability to use surround sound. Would need them to work for everything (pc, mac, xbone, ps4, apple tv, etc) Or does it make more sense to have everything stay plugged into my receiver and hook the microphones up to that? Surround sound and bass are my priority.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/12/2017 at 2:55 PM, Bilbo said:

I got AirPods! 

I am loving these. The sound quality is better than EarPods. You'll get better headphones for cheaper but they work seamlessly with all my devices, the charging case is brilliant, and I love that all I have to do is pull one out and the music stops (handy way of knowing if one falls out but there's been no danger of that happening so far as they're very secure). Double tap the right pod to skip a track, double tap the left to go back. Great feature. (You can program them so the double tap does different things). 

Haven't used them to make a call yet. 

I haven’t had to charge the case yet since I opened it xmas day. I just leave the pods back into the case when I’m not using them. I use my AKGs when listening to my iPod though to be fair so the AirPods would never be my most used headphones.

AKGs need a bit of soldering though so they’ll be out of action for awhile. 

I’ve read that you can get 5 hours of continuous play out of them. I don’t think I’d ever listen for 5 continuous hours though and apparently they change very fast when in the case.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Calling is easy. You just tap the right bud twice to answer, and when the call ends it goes right back to what you were listening to. 

Damn, these things couldn’t be simpler to use.

On 12/25/2017 at 9:55 AM, Bilbo said:

I got AirPods! 

We both got an iPhone X and AirPods pretty much at the same time haha. Absolutely love my AirPods also!

3 minutes ago, Luka said:

We both got an iPhone X and AirPods pretty much at the same time haha. Absolutely love my AirPods also!

I couldn't believe how fast they worked. You basically put them in and press play and that's it. 

They better hurry up with the Home Pod because I'm running out of stuff to buy :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the Audio technica ATH-MSR7 for 4 years now and I recently changed the earpads (11€ on Amazon for replacements). Otherwise, the headphone is still working great. I would definitely recommend it ! https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-MSR7BK-SonicPro-High-Resolution-Headphones/dp/B00PEU9CFA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1516273152&sr=8-2&keywords=ATH+MSR7

• 2 weeks later...