Not only that, but isn't he or his company suing New Line for profits supposedly unpaid from the LOTR films or has that been settled?

Neil

• 1 year later...

Quote from comingsoon.net:

Over the next few years, MGM is planning to release half a dozen films, some in the $150 million to $200 million-plus range. Studio is ready to unveil such high-profile projects as "Terminator 4"; one or two installments of "The Hobbit," which Sloan hopes will be directed by Peter Jackson; and a sequel to "The Thomas Crown Affair" with Pierce Brosnan.

icon_eek.gif

Two thumbs up! And let's hope Howard Shore won't get rejeced again icon_mrgreen.gif

Shore's scores kicked ass, the fact that that is not apparent to a small minority, is a true shame.

I prefer the term 'silent majority'

I thought Shore's scores were uninspired and mundane. There were only about 3 minutes of music in all three movies I thought was actually effective.

Shore's scores kicked ass, the fact that that is not apparent to a small minority, is a true shame.

I thought Shore's scores were uninspired and mundane. There were only about 3 minutes of music in all three movies I thought was actually effective.

:);):thumbup:

That's kind of cheap, covering your inability to bring on fair and effective points with a general statement that is impossible to disprove.

It's like saying Williams' Star Wars sucks badly, the majority just remains silent.

There were only about 3 minutes of music in all three movies I thought was actually effective.

Right, that's why half of the audience was in tears everytime I saw them in the theatre.

But back on topic. I fear that, if The Hobbit will be released as one movie, Beorn will share the fate of Tom Bombadil.

I wouldn't really mind if they'd left Beorn out. I always found that bit rather tedious and overly childish. Though he does make a nice return at the battle.

I too would like to see Holm return. But his age is going to be too much of a problem, I think.

I'm afraid you may be right. Still, it would be great if they managed to do it. I mean, a scene from The Hobbit is already in FOTR, so if it was ok for him to look like that for one brief scene, it should be ok for the full movie. He'll just have to bear the heavy makeup - a fate he'll doubtlessly share with the dwarves (who I very much hope will NOT wear rainbow-coloured beards) (my spell checker marks "dwarves" as misspelled, but in this case it's of course correct ;) ).

Anyway, even though he is perhaps my top favourite actor, I hadn't thought of Holm as Bilbo until he was announced, but from that moment on I immediately found that he matched the description of Bilbo in the book perfectly. I then was at first a bit disappointed by his inconspicuous performance, but only until I realised that he had just impersonated Bilbo so well that I accepted him as completely natural.

That's kind of cheap, covering your inability to bring on fair and effective points with a general statement that is impossible to disprove.

It's like saying Williams' Star Wars sucks badly, the majority just remains silent.

There were only about 3 minutes of music in all three movies I thought was actually effective.

Right, that's why half of the audience was in tears everytime I saw them in the theatre.

Exactly!!! But I don't care how the audience reacts, I care about how I react. The audience has their opinion, I have mine. I thought the music wasn't good. I don't see how the term cheap could be applied because the "audience" you mention don't intelectuallize it like we do. How many people are actually on this message board? The ones who liked the scores are very verbal about it, the ones that don't are pounded until they think they have no reason to add their opinion. I, for one, like the debate and think it is fun when people get wound up over very simple little statements!!!! ;)

There are reasons that Shore was fired on King Kong. And it is for reasons you probably wouldn't agree with, but the film makers thought it was important.

Two thumbs up! And let's hope Howard Shore won't get rejeced again  ;)

He won't. His LOTR scores sold loads of CDs (and many people were willing to buy them twice, as the new release proved), so I have no doubt the studio will want him on this as well.

I'd love to see Hobbit made into a movie, but directed by someone besides Jackson.

Romão, not a big fan of Shore's LOTR music either.

I concur.

This franchise needs ILM sfx ;)

I would like Gandalf to be McKellen (even thought i didnt like him the 1st time i saw him) But now, He IS Gandlaf. If that means that Jackson and his crew have to be, well I always thought Jakcson would be doing it, so no great deal...

Yay, so if this is true, then there will finally be a Smaug better looking then that cat in the animated film.

Now, interesting question: Who would provide Smaug's voice? (And Andy Serkis is not an option, he can't do two animated characters... considering his real/CGI double role in Kong, I wouldn't be surprised if they cast him as Bombur anyway ;) )

Yay, so if this is true, then there will finally be a Smaug better looking then that cat in the animated film.

Now, interesting question: Who would provide Smaug's voice? (And Andy Serkis is not an option, he can't do two animated characters... considering his real/CGI double role in Kong, I wouldn't be surprised if they cast him as Bombur anyway ;) )

Peter Cullen of Optimus Prime fame!

James Earl Jones.

Brian Blessed might be good or even John Rhys-Davies. He could go from dwarf to dragon.

Of course Samuel L. Jackson would be my choice......;)

"I'm tired of all these little M%&$#@ F*&$%^@ Hobbits running around!!!!"

Does Smaug talk in the book?

Why would PJ not allow it if he does?

Yes, he speaks at length actually. Its works very well in the book, but it may prove difficult to keep a sense of realism in the film. Mind you, I thought that they would struggle with Treebeards voice, but they figured that out just fine, so perhaps my caution is unfounded.

Yes, he speaks at length actually. Its works very well in the book, but it may prove difficult to keep a sense of realism in the film..

??? Realism? We are talking dragons here...

Draco from Dragonheart looked good. Smaug could look better.

I too would like to see Holm return. But his age is going to be too much of a problem, I think.

I'm afraid you may be right. Still, it would be great if they managed to do it. I mean, a scene from The Hobbit is already in FOTR, so if it was ok for him to look like that for one brief scene, it should be ok for the full movie. He'll just have to bear the heavy makeup - a fate he'll doubtlessly share with the dwarves (who I very much hope will NOT wear rainbow-coloured beards) (my spell checker marks "dwarves" as misspelled, but in this case it's of course correct ;) ).

According to the FotR commentary, IIRC, they basically had to duct tape Holm's loose skin to the back of his head to give him the facelift for the Hobbit scene. I doubt he'll take that for an entire film... And seeing how he's not exactly the youngest anymore, I don't know if he can keep up the energy the young Bilbo requires.

And I too hope the Dwarves won't have colored beards.

I wouldn't really mind if they'd left Beorn out. I always found that bit rather tedious and overly childish. Though he does make a nice return at the battle.

Not my favorite part either. I think I stranded there two out of three times I've read the book. It just felt like the story was going nowhere while they were at Beorn's.

who cares?

Quite a number of people, obviously.

Anyway, even though he is perhaps my top favourite actor, I hadn't thought of Holm as Bilbo until he was announced, but from that moment on I immediately found that he matched the description of Bilbo in the book perfectly. I then was at first a bit disappointed by his inconspicuous performance, but only until I realised that he had just impersonated Bilbo so well that I accepted him as completely natural.

Think about it though.........in FoTR, they are celebrating Bilbo's 111th birthday, and Gandalf states "You haven't aged a day...." . So he would only have to look as "young" as he did in FoTR to play Bilbo in The Hobbit. I'm not sure how much he aged in the past few 6-7 years, but it couldn't have been so much that he couldn't look like he did in FoTR with a little makeup.

A little CGI tweaking and a stunt double could work wonders.

Christopher Lee's voice would be interesting as Smaug, if he is still around when they get to filming it.

if he is still around when they get to filming it.

I sincerely hope he is.

A little CGI tweaking and a stunt double could work wonders.

I think I read that some digital face-lift device is being tried out now. It could work. I think Holm is a good enough actor to "act young" to compliment that.

But to do it to your lead character for an entire film... Sounds ruddy expensive.

But think about it - this film is about 3-4 years away, right? Let's go back to 1997, four years before FOTR - it was almost unthinkable that you could digitally "shrink" people alongside "real size" actors (as they did with the hobbits and dwarves) for an entire film. The technology moved on a lot in those four years, and I'm sure it will in the next four, as well.

I'm not entirely sure that this report is true, but I'm very excited nonetheless. The way I see it, this film needs at least 4 things:

- Peter Jackson

- Howard Shore

- Ian McKellen

- Ian Holm

Weta workshop is optional, but I would rather have them then ILM.

But to do it to your lead character for an entire film... Sounds ruddy expensive.

But think about it - this film is about 3-4 years away, right? Let's go back to 1997, four years before FOTR - it was almost unthinkable that you could digitally "shrink" people alongside "real size" actors (as they did with the hobbits and dwarves) for an entire film. The technology moved on a lot in those four years, and I'm sure it will in the next four, as well.

Willow was made in 1988.

And the hobitts are very cleverly put in their places in the scenes to minimize the work.

In fact, there are little scenes were they truly make interactions with bigger people. And some of those look odd and 'fail' to some degree.

Are they so digitalized or just filmed isolated? I think they also used kids against tall people, close ups, camera angles and so. Some times you can tell gimli is on his knees, i think.

In 1997 i really couldnt say ' they cannot do it...

Weta workshop is optional, but I would rather have them then ILM.

ILM SchmILM. WETA Workshop and WETA Digital all the way for this one. After all they did on LotR, why would you let ILM do all the art research all over again, if you can just bring in Richard Taylor and all the other folks?

They could just give the dragon to ILM (research for this must be done from 'scratch')

You know, Dragonheart, Goblet of Fire, Eragon...

They could always pull a Master and Commander collaboration.

Anyway unless someone related to ILM does it and jackson has nothing to do, WETA Will do it. It seems to be the most popular company nowadays:

i'll reference a Disney bussinesman: (approximate)

'We have hired WETA, the best SFX company nowadays to make a new disney logo for our movie Pirates of the Caribean: Dead man's chest.'

:roll: So that's why you hired ILM to do the whole movie...

I really do want WETA, and I know that they are the most qualified to do the job.

Rabbit--who wants to see the dwarf battle on screen

@ Frosty

I'm really tired of leading pretentious discussions about the quality of Shore's epic, so let's just call it a day. As long as your so-called "silent majority" keeps their traps shut, I'll be happy.

No matter who will be in charge of the project, I think pretty much anyone in his right mind would want to assemble the LotR crew. There's no good reason against it, really. I'm not saying no one else could pull it off, but those people are simply into it.

ILM's work on POTC was simply outstanding. Maybe this year they'll finally give ILM's first oscar since Forrest Gump. They have deserved many since.

Romão, who thinks LOTR's special effects, besides Gollum, don't really look that good.