Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

Mr. Breathmask

You've got much more than me then! Assuming you own all JW material, the only other title I'm familiar with is the Tom & Jerry set.

Were you able to find a high res photo for First Knight?

I own every FSM JW CD except two - Poseidon Adventure (though I have the LLL) and The Towering Inferno

I've never looked for a high res cover for First Knight, but doesn't Album Art Exchange have everything?

There's actually probably some older FSM Goldsmith's I don't have, but I have all the ones that are on low quantity alerts except Logan's Run

Logan's Run is the only FSM Goldsmith I don't have

Logan's Run is fantastic.

I think Under Fire is the only one I'm missing. I have the previous release, and reports were never clear on whether the new release has a significant sound update... but I don't think I can skip this, if only for completism. I have a new SAE order prepared already...

Isn't that one of his all synth scores?

Half synth, half full orchestra. That was the concept - inside the dome it's synth, outside in the sun /the real world it becomes quite illustrative orchestral music. I'm not the biggest fan but compare it to current stuff like OBLIVION and it's stunning how much JG actually makes the movie, musically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLviMEG_xZc

End of May (LLL sale) purchases:

Rosewood (LLL)

The Fury (LLL)

And in honor of June I as a serious JW completist bit the bullet and finally bought:

Penelope/Bachelor in Paradise (Williams/Mancini)

Not with My Wife You Don't Vol 1

Not with My Wife You Don't Vol 2

and

Salute to Hollywood (JW/Boston Pops)

I really wish that the Blue Box would be cheaper as all this talk of improved sound quality of first Superman score makes me want to buy it.

I actually dig the Big Beautiful Ball from Not With My Wife You Don't quite a lot. I am interested in exploring the rest of the score as well, in both incarnations. And now Nightwatch is the only JW score left from FSM for me to buy. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Oh I bet Inchon is worth it. Got Rhino release of Poltergeist, but heard this sound quality upgrade is worthwhile. I've got some considerable gaps to fill in my Goldsmith collection.

Karol

• 2 weeks later...

I have this thing about always wanting to list all of my new CDs, leading to me not posting anything for months when I forgot once and can't post the next batch before I've reconstructed what the previous one was... which is way too complicated by now for the months I'm behind, so I'll just list the stack of CDs that have piled up on my desk:

Bought after concerts during our choir trip to Cork, Ireland:

The Real Group: Recollection #1

The Songmen: Midnight

Other stuff purchased over the last few months:

Classic Film Scores for Bette Davis (Gerhardt)

Casablanca - Classic Film Scores for Humphry Bogart (Gerhardt)

Goran Bregovic: Underground

Pino Donaggio: Passion

Patrick Doyle: Impressions of America

Patrick Doyle: Man to Man

George Fenton: Frozen Planet

Michael Giacchino: Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

Jerry Goldsmith: Bandolero

Jerry Goldsmith: Breakheart Pass

Jerry Goldsmith: The Challenge

Jerry Goldsmith: The Detective/Von Ryan's Express

Jerry Goldsmith: Ransom

Jerry Goldsmith: The Salamander (Tadlow)

Jerry Goldsmith: Seven Days in May/Maurice Jarre: The Mackintosh Man

Jerry Goldsmith: Shock Treatment/Fate is the Hunter

Jerry Goldsmith: Under Fire (FSM)

Erich Wolfgang Korngold: Magic Fire

Bear McCreary: Caprica

John Morris: Yellowbeard

Basil Poledouris: Red Dawn

Basil Poledouris: It's My Party

David Rasin Conducts His Great Film Scores

Lalo Schifrin: Magnum Force

Claude-Michel Schönberg: Les Misérables - 10th Anniversary Concert

John Williams: Heidi

Woodkid: The Golden Age

And yesterday's new arrivals:

Pino Donaggio: Dressed to Kill (Intrada)

Elliot Goldenthal: A Time to Kill

Jerry Goldsmith: Frontiers

Jerry Goldsmith: Inchon

Ron Jones: The Best of Both Worlds

Erich Wolfgang Korngold: Anthony Adverse (Scott rerec)

Bear McCreary: Battlestar Galactica Season 4

Ennio Morricone: Cinema Paradiso

Ennio Morricone: The Mission

Alfred Newman: The Diary of Anne Frank

James Newton Howard: Snow Falling on Cedars

Alex North: The Agony and the Ecstasy (Goldsmith rerec)

John Williams: Rosewood (LLL)

Missouri Breaks (2 CD) (Kritzerland)

Nightwatch/Killer by Night (FSM)

First Knight (LLL)

I just ordered Missouri Breaks myself, direct from Kritzerland (my first time ordering directly from Kritzerland, though I do have two other Krizterland CDs - Gorky Park and Breakheart Pass - both ordered from Movie Music)

Inky, why didn't you order First Knight last month when LLL was selling all their titles for 20% off?

I can't afford to buy everything at once Jason. Priorities. Obscure JW comedy scores from 1960's. ;)

I think Missouri Breaks is going to sell out really fast. I hope every interested JWFan sees the thread in time.

I think Missouri Breaks is going to sell out really fast. I hope every interested JWFan sees the thread in time.

Yeah. Actually it is very difficult to gauge whether this will be a fast seller or not. I have no idea if this rather obscure Western/drama/comedy score has so many ardent fans that 1200 would sell out quickly.

1,200 is a small number for a JOHN WILLIAMS release, especially one that is the PREMIERE of the film tracks.

1,200 is a small number for a JOHN WILLIAMS release, especially one that is the PREMIERE of the film tracks.

Yeah the small pressing might be the panic factor that makes this release sell out faster than something like Hook.

Well of course, I mean Hook was limited to 5,000 units. Whole different scenario.

51uugG2ZuzL._AA160_.jpg

The theme is still probably the least of all the Star Trek main themes, but it's much less annoying this time around. Is it just the better recording, or what? The piano theme is good, too.

510RFg--0uL.jpg

Much better Giacchino; maybe his best yet?

61QV9DVHVFL.jpg

Generic? Yes, there doesn't seem to be that much of substance to this. But there are some highlights (love The Battle), and I'm probably more fond of it than it deserves. (I was, and am, disappointed by the film, but I have good memories of seeing it opening day all the same)

Waiting on:

61aSA8VCghL._SY300_.jpg

41CD5HXFY6L._SX300_.jpg

51vdkUOr2kL._SL500_SY300_.jpg

TTBK, as usual, most excited about the Golden Age scores...

:music:Moby Dick (Gordon)

Bought "Dream Away" (John Williams) and "Preluge, Fugue and Riffs" (Leonard Bernstein) on Amazon MP3. Based on the samples, the latter sounds an awful lot like Johnny's "Prelugue and Fugue"

Also Richard Strauss' Death and Transfiguration, Don Juan, and another one I forgot. Conducted by Lorin Maazel and the Cleveland Orchestra

• 2 weeks later...

I had the extended edition. But because I've found the regular one just for a couple of quid I thought it might as well be added to my collection. Given that it contains some bits that are not on the other one.

Karol

So there's music on the regular 2 disc hobbit soundtrack that's not on the deluxe 2 disc one?

I thought it was the opposite?

Some of the tracks are alternate takes. Check out these two versions of Roast Mutton. The different sections start in both track somewhere at 2:20.

The regular edition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0uBYak27fI

The extended edition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL4-c_qI8TA

There are about 4 differences and some of the tracks on the extended edition are longer.

And yes, it is a bit annoying.

Karol