Hook questions

Luke Skywalker

Are the longs/expanded/contains unused music cues things like the luke/vader contact in ROJ? or are they alternates for previous reels? Im speaking about the never feast, for example.

Were chronologically goes 'Childhood' song?

Luke, who wants to create a hook film version a la SW SEs (Complete score with unused, unedited parts included and alternates in the end.)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can always start with this:

http://www.jwfan.net/modules.php?op=modloa...artid=47&page=1

I think that "Exit Music" on the boot is the only cue we couldn't figure out where it goes.It may be part of an End Credits alternate portion

K.M.Who sort of made a chronological Hook playlist on his PC.

I need another chronological and complete Hook bootleg set. I have Crusher's bootleg which comes very close, but it fails in sound quality and other little details like having two grand finales (the film version and the alternate) before the end credits. It's much more anticlimatic than adding a finale, the end credits, and then the other finale to close the disc.

-Ross, musing.

Yeah, that would be an option. But I was waiting to fix some of the big sound quality problems the boot has ("The Ultimate War" and "The Lost Boy's Chase" comes to mind instantly) before burning the CD's. So I just ripped the set, which is now re-sequenced in my hard drive, but I never really started working on the sound quality. Too lazy, and not savvy enough, you see.

So I decided to wait and look for a better, more complete bootleg. The thing is I'm too busy to be a decent trader right now. And it's not like I'm in hurry, I'll get around it.

Thanks for the tip though. I'm expecting to get an iPod relatively soon, so I'm kind of holding on burning a lot of cd's.

Please, im not stupid. OF COURSE I checked the page KM!

There is not mention there of the 'childhood' song

It neither counts the concert versions...

And the exit music, is obviously an alternate finale (which is great, i love the beggining). As the cue list says.

Anyway, nobody answered my question, is remembering childhood long version and expanded version (same with additional music) or an alternate (different music replacing other music)

The conconde release has several two alternates, how is that in the cuelist only one appears?

Luke, desperate to hear hook outside the PC...

I think that "Exit Music" on the boot is the only cue we couldn't figure out where it goes.It may be part of an End Credits alternate portion

I thought it went where the re-tracking of "You are the pan" was in the movie, when he gives the large boy his sword and leaves.

Hmm i would say its a mixture - but seems as though alot of them are alternates. Or it seems the longer cues were cut down into what we have now. Speaking for the 2 cd release.

I don't think it's meant to go in the movie, Luke. My guess is that Williams wrote the song for the stage musical and just used the theme, the melody for the movie. Then, way after the movie, an artist recorded the song and that's what we have now. I would place it as a bonus track, or as an end credits cue. Or as an alternate to "Remembering Childhood" but be sure it was never meant to go anywhere in the movie.

So, it was never recorded by Williams?

As easy as it was saying that and it took 3 days to do so :/

What is best, make a film version score or full score with unused cues?

Can anyone post which ones are actual alternates and wich ones expended versions? (of all cues that have alternates)

1 problem solved (thx ender), one more to go

So, it was never recorded by Williams?

As far as I know, Williams had no involvement in that recording.

As easy as it was saying that and it took 3 days to do so :/

I know, and I apologise. One of those cases where you think somebody else is going to post the obvious, so you start drivel instead of answering.

What is best, make a film version score or full score with unused cues?

That is entirely up to you. I like to have unused cues, but only if they are replaced by tracked music in the film. I don't like having two versions of a cue one after the other, because it ruins the narrative flow of the music. My recommendation is that you make the most complete version possible, leaving alternate cues for the end of each disc (à la Star Wars special editions)

Can anyone post which ones are actual alternates and wich ones expended versions? (of all cues that have alternates)

Um, not me.

thx ender

No hay de qué.

Hey i was generalising when i said it could have been said 3 days ago, it was not aimed at you, and in fact you were the most useful here :wave:

I want to do a SEish edition, but i have to know which one are true alternates :P

I dont want to blow my head hearing the same sections several times (otherwise i will not stop wistling and humming hook in a month!

:cry: where does the childhood song go?

Oh yeah,I remember now.It was John Takis who recorded this using a kid he knows or something.It had it's premiere at the John Williams Central.(this site as it used to be called)

K.M.

The song Childhood was written/composed for the stageplay production that eventually became the film Hook.

No official regarding involving either Williams or Briccusse was ever released, but a few years back John Takis produced am "unofficial" version of it, featuring young vocalist Demi Fragale and using parst of the Hook OST as backing music. (from Remembering Childhood I think)

It's not for sale, but some friendly MB member might be able to send it to you.

John Takis produced am "unofficial" version of it, featuring young vocalist Demi Fragale

:mrgreen: What??? Demi Fragale lives on my street in East Lansing, MI! And now that you mention it, I remember that when she babysat my brother one time, he was playing Flight to Neverland on CD and she said it was a song called Childhood. I always figured she had sung it as part of the MSU Children's Choir or something. What a weird connection, how did this come to be?

Ray Barnsbury - taken aback by seeing a neighbor's name mentioned by someone from the Netherlands

John Takis produced am "unofficial" version of it, featuring young vocalist Demi Fragale

:mrgreen: What??? Demi Fragale lives on my street in East Lansing, MI! And now that you mention it, I remember that when she babysat my brother one time, he was playing Flight to Neverland on CD and she said it was a song called Childhood. I always figured she had sung it as part of the MSU Children's Choir or something. What a weird connection, how did this come to be?

Ray Barnsbury - taken aback by seeing a neighbor's name mentioned by someone from the Netherlands

AND YOU DONT HAVE THE HOOK BOOT?!

That's one of life's ironies...

Ask her, she may have one :P

That's seriously disturbing, Marc. :nono: Anyway, I haven't talked to her in several years, so I'm not gonna ask her about it. She probably hardly remembers.

Ray Barnsbury

I'd ask her out if she is old enough,if I were you.Is she pretty?

K.M.

You don't even have the slightest clue what she looks like.

Also, how old is old enough for you?

I'm not sure what your reading into my post.Maybe it's badly phrased.

I figure "babysit my brother a few years ago "she would be in her late teens,same as Ray.

K.M.

She's a college freshman, a year younger than me. Most would probably say she's pretty.

Ray Barnsbury - who wants to hear the song . . . anyone? . . . . please?

Demi and her family went to my church ... that's how I knew her. Both of our families were musical, and participated in the church choir. She was kind enough to record the song for me on short notice, with unsophisticated equipment and only a little rehearsal. I think she was thirteen at the time. She's a very lovely young woman, with a lot of talent and a promising career ahead of her. I wouldn't be at all surprised if she made it big someday -- she's certainly got the looks and the voice.

Ray: you didn't know I was from mid-Michigan? I moved to Williamston in 1986 -- after High School, I spent five years at MSU. Small world. :P

Demi and her family went to my church ... that's how I knew her. Both of our families were musical, and participated in the church choir. She was kind enough to record the song for me on short notice, with unsophisticated equipment and only a little rehearsal. I think she was thirteen at the time. She's a very lovely young woman, with a lot of talent and a promising career ahead of her. I wouldn't be at all surprised if she made it big someday -- she's certainly got the looks and the voice.

Ray: you didn't know I was from mid-Michigan? I moved to Williamston in 1986 -- after High School, I spent five years at MSU. Small world. :wave:

Interesting connection, John. And I might have read somewhere along the line that you were from around here, but it apparently didn't stick with me. I grew up in Lansing and Haslett/East Lansing, so I'm very familiar with MSU and know where Williamston is. As you say, small world!

Ray Barnsbury

• 1 year later...

OLD thread but i didnt wanted to make another one about the same.

Hello again. You know i managed to get a copy of the movie.

Now i see i made mistakes... and i saw the complete cue list may be wrong in these cues:

We dont wanna grow up is different in the movie (the piano part, the song is the same sh** :| )

The face of pan, film version does not contain chorus, hence the version on the ost (track 14 part B) is the right one.

Flight to neverland has 3 versions:

One with prominent cymbal clash at 4:46, total length of 5:28. In the tracklist this is the film version, but in the film there is no cymbal clash.

One is the longer OST version, 5:59, and (background this time) cymbals part is on 5:20

And one short version runs 5:23, that is shorter than the OST version. It has the background cymbals, at the same point as the 1st version 4:46. It differs from the last one on a 30 seconds segment it doesnt have arround 3:00. This is possibly the film version, Is this an edit or and arranged shorter version for the film?

any help will be appreciated :|

I watched the end credits:

Pick'em up has lyrics by lesslie bricusse? They mean the things the kids say when they are trying to get peter in shape? What the!!!! I even prefer margot kidder in superman :roll:

And 'take me out to the ball game' is not music by Williams.

Hook questions

When I first read that i thought this thread was about questions on Hook the movie, until i actually read the thread.

I never knew this thread existed, but I think I have an mp3 of the song in question. It's about 3 minutes long and a girl is singing it...the vocals, by the way, are WAY up front. The mix isn't very good, but she can sing pretty well. It is basically lyrics using the childhood theme as a melody line. The version comes from the 3 and 4 disc bootlegs I have (same version on both). I can't guarantee that it's the same version Takis made. The music is taken right from the "Remembering Childhood" track on the OST of Hook starting at the 4:50 mark.

EDIT: Oh, I didn't read the whole thread, it looks like Luke was able to track it down. Nevermind then.

Tim

If I remember correctly Nick Redman or Michael Matessino may have mentioned in an interview that there was enough material from Hook to make a 3 disc set. I don't know if either one was joking or serious.

Hook questions

When I first read that i thought this thread was about questions on Hook the movie, until i actually read the thread.

Well then, What does the "T" mean in Captain Hook middle name?

John takis: Are the lyrics to the song yours or are they bricusse's?