GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

You might only complain that the Sparrow wasn't better developed. I actually found it quite interesting, as someone who spent most of his Uni years in Middle Ages. Studying it, that is.

Karol

Its all well and good that the scene was based on a historic event. But that doesn't make it any less poorly handled for me.

And the fact that they chose a body double with an obviously bigger rack then Lene Headey makes an already gratuitous scene feel extremely exploitative.

They WERE sexing it up!

I'm not gay.

And though I'm not familiar with Headey's original breasts, not sure how much all of this really matters in the end. I was just trying to enjoy the craftsmanship behind a big scene like this one.

Apparently the director of this episode is the same one who directed the Red Wedding.

Is it supposed to convey "serves you right, bitch"?

Not at all. There's certainly nothing inherently triumphal about the manner in which the scene is presented, as far as I can see. Whether one has sympathy or antipathy for Cersei (or a mixture of the two, or neither) is a matter for the individual viewer. Despite the attitudes of those onscreen, I think it comes across pretty clearly that Cersei is the only dignified person in the scene, and the hypocrisy of the onlookers and the High Sparrow ("...you, the good people of the city") is fully evident. I don't think the show is at fault for depicting the event starkly and directly.

Here's an article about the history of this practice (including the Jane Shore incident that KK mentioned).

In the book, Shireen, Selyse and Melisandre stay at Castle Black when Stannis' army leaves. Now, of course, in the show, we know they went with him, then Shireen was sacrificed and ultimately Melisandre went back to the Wall. So now we have Shireen, Selyse dead and Melisandre at the Wall in the show. I think that in the book, Melisandre may sacrifice Shireen to resurrect Jon (with Selyse committing suicide here too). That way, the situation in the book and the show would be roughly the same in the end (

though you have to wonder who Melisandre would sacrifice in the show to resurrect Jon, given that Shireen isn't there anymore)

Continuing the spoiler tag since this relates to the book-only scenario you're talking about:

How about:

1. Reek?

Sansa was specifically told about Jon being Lord Commander a few episodes ago. It's not implausible that if she and Reek survive their jump (which they surely will) they'll head to Castle Black in search of protection. Theon's sacrifice for the sake of Jon's resurrection could be his atonement!

2. Stannis?

I like this one better. Dan Weiss said that unless you see the body the character's probably not dead (or something to that effect). If Brienne in fact declined to kill Stannis in this episode, and he can't or won't do himself in, taking the black might seem the appropriate action for him - one way in which he could end up at the Wall. His sacrifice by fire might even appeal to his own sense of justice. If Azor Ahai were to be reborn due to Stannis giving up his life, that might also help explain Melisandre's apparently confused belief about Stannis himself being the messiah.

Of course, the Night's Watch aren't likely to be on board with the idea of someone attempting to resuscitate the traitor they've just executed...

While I liked the season finale and it did tie up some story threads I can't help but to feel a bit emotionally detached this time around. In hindsight almost all these storylines have been building (quite slowly at times) to this point but somehow I feel there was a loss of momentum during the opening half of the season and the emotional peak, as Martin-esque these events were in episode 10, didn't feel quite as satisfying or well-rounded as I would have wanted. I often felt big important moments were almost rushed in the hurry to get to the next big moment and this episode had a whole load of them. I mean pivotal moments, highlight of any single episode, now quickly rammed into a single one.

But now they have rushed to the part of the story no one knows as the big events in episode 10 brought us to the end of book 5 more or less meaning that the next season will be an interesting and full of surprises to all viewers.

Unless he manages to publish his next book before then.

Karol

I would say that's a fat chance (yes that was meant to be a pun). I of course hope he will release the next part of his sprawling (and a bit meandering) epic soon enough! ;)

100% agreed. A lot of stuff happens, but I don't really feel invested in the characters as much as I used too

Because you get so many climaxes one after another.

I might point out that a normal person would consider it a blessing. ;)

Karol

100% agreed. A lot of stuff happens, but I don't really feel invested in the characters as much as I used too

Because you get so many climaxes one after another.

That might be part of it, but it's more like this:

At the end of S4 the idea of Tyrion and Varys, traveling together seemed like a great idea. Ywo characters known for their verbal with as traveling companions.

But that only lasted for a few eps, and in all of those Tyrion was a depressed drunk, so the verbal fireworks didnt really happen as much.

But the! OOOhhh Jorah kidnaps Tyrion. That's pretty cool right?

Sure, but while Tyrions finally seemed to get his groove back, Jorah could barely be bothered to even acknowledge him. So it wasnt all that great.

WOW! Tyrion and the Mother Of Dragons together! Fantastic!

Yes, and they did give us one or two really great scenes. But that's it, because Dany is off on new adventures and the Imp is left in the city that no one has really cared about for 2 years now.

But wait! Varys is back! That's promising right!.....etc etc

And this is just one example. Character wise, several storylines seem to be going through the motion, killing time till the last few episodes when it's all supposed to kick off

Any more than Matthew MacConaughey delivering a six episode long nihilistic monologue? ;)

Karol

Yeah. Matthew was great in nihilistic monologue in True Detective.

I must be the only one who remembers they never revealed who tried to kill Bran in season 1

Eh I dunno about that, click BB's link and read the part that's quoted from Storm of Swords Jamie IX

That's what I mean, they should have revealed it during season 2 or 3. He could have told Sansa as a little jab or something, the little prick

Wandering the Riverlands somewhere

A better question is why did Ghost show up to stop Gilly from being raped, but not Jon from being killed?

One thing I'm more interested about, which goes way back to season 1, is where the fuck is Nymeria (Arya's direwolf)?

She is brought up much more in the books.

During Arya's training at the house, she sees dreams of Nymeria, kind of like how Bran and Jon did. This continues after her blindness. It's like the one thing keeping her from giving up her identity.