GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

I'd say a good approach would be to put anything related to the novel in spoiler tags, and leave the rest uncensored. Between Sunday and whenever I watch the latest episode (usually Monday night), I stay clear of this thread anyway. Seems a sensible strategy.

I'm totally buying that game!!!

But where's Winterfell on that board?

EDIT: Never mind...

Left bottom corner beside the Wall of course. ;)

Left bottom corner beside the Wall of course. ;)

Wow...how did I miss that?! :o

And why is the North worth so little? Nvm...I can see why...

But Winter is Coming....

Another engrossing episode with a lot of great scenes and the plot advanced on new fronts as well. Not perhaps as fluid as the past two episodes but none the less one of the best of the series. Tywin Lannister keeps getting screen time, no surprise there, since he is simply captivating. Also nice parallel to Jaime Lannister in this episode, except his nostalgic chat had a more twisted ending. And no sexposition again, three times in a row! Man we are on a roll with this revelation that the series does not exactly need it in every episode to make it interesting. But I missed scenes with Stannis and his troop since people will soon forget he is alive if he does not show his face again soon! Kings need good PR to stay afloat!

But Daenerys keeps plodding on. Get a move on woman!

Oh yes, I forget to say who my favorite character is in season 1. Someone who makes the cool-o-meter go into in the red ... can you guess?

It has to be Jorah Mormont and if not, Jeor Mormont!

After the above mentioned (Dondarrion especially) Bronn is also pretty cool.

I also thought of Mormont. So Jorah Mormont, Jaime Lannister or Bronn, that's my guess.

Unless he considers cool the insane presence onscreen that Ned has until things start going awry.

Edit: damn, you people write faster than me.

I will no longer keep you in the dark ... yes ... Jorah Mormont.

That Iain Glen has enormous screen presence I have to admit.

Yeah, I've said it before, I'll say it again: Iain Glen has a great screen presence, and a great "vocal presence".

Yes I agree, he is both. I think he and Charles Dance have similar arresting quality even though they would not even get very animated or loud in a scene.

Jorah is a great character, a tragic kind of character who still is the one wall of confidence and trust behind which Daenerys can retreat. But power and station might come between this trust.

Speaking of Tywin his scenes are cleverly written since the writers found a way of exploring the more personal side of the character through his relationship with Arya. He confides to a quick witted servant, whom he finds intriguing for her intellect and schooling, much more personal thoughts than to his henchmen. As I said before the dichotomy of almost paternal and yet subtly interrogation styled and sharp discussions is well done. And for whatever wamth there is, the gears still grind behind the discussion and Tywin keeps himself always a bit detached.

Speaking of Tywin his scenes are cleverly written since the writers found a way of exploring the more personal side of the character through his relationship with Arya. He confides to a quick witted servant, whom he finds intriguing for her intellect and schooling, much more personal thoughts than to his henchmen. As I said before the dichotomy of almost paternal and yet subtly interrogation styled and sharp discussions is well done.

I read a youtube comment: "Tywin just gave Arya more love than Tyrion and Cersei have received their whole lives." lol

Speaking of Tywin his scenes are cleverly written since the writers found a way of exploring the more personal side of the character through his relationship with Arya. He confides to a quick witted servant, whom he finds intriguing for her intellect and schooling, much more personal thoughts than to his henchmen. As I said before the dichotomy of almost paternal and yet subtly interrogation styled and sharp discussions is well done.

I read a youtube comment: "Tywin just gave Arya more love than Tyrion and Cersei have received their whole lives." lol

:lol: Might just be true. Not a nice man this one, not to his children. But he does it for the greatest of motives: Family honor, longevity, stability, prestige and power. So they have a lot more responsibilities and duty to follow for them to be pampered. And Tyrion a malformed little imp, shame to the whole line. So no wonder they were raised to uphold the family honor, they were not just very good at it though. Poor Tywin has to accomplish and excel for all of them.

On another note The Qarthians in general are a great colorful bunch.The actor of Pyat Pree is just excellent since he is just wonderfully creepy in the part.

Also a great but subtle presence in Robb Stark's camp is Roose Bolton who has appeared in many episodes in the second season. Great performance and the actor is pretty much how I pictured that character. I especially like his cold eyes.

I'd say a good approach would be to put anything related to the novel in spoiler tags, and leave the rest uncensored. Between Sunday and whenever I watch the latest episode (usually Monday night), I stay clear of this thread anyway. Seems a sensible strategy.

THIS.

THIS.

Alright, I'm sticking with this system then.

Another engrossing episode with a lot of great scenes and the plot advanced on new fronts as well. Not perhaps as fluid as the past two episodes but none the less one of the best of the series. Tywin Lannister keeps getting screen time, no surprise there, since he is simply captivating. Also nice parallel to Jaime Lannister in this episode, except his nostalgic chat had a more twisted ending. And no sexposition again, three times in a row! Man we are on a roll with this revelation that the series does not exactly need it in every episode to make it interesting. But I missed scenes with Stannis and his troop since people will soon forget he is alive if he does not show his face again soon! Kings need good PR to stay afloat!

Well said Incanus. Agreed with most of wht you've said. I liked how they tried to fool us into thinking Jaime had some true humanity to him before revealing his consistently cold-blooded nature.

But Daenerys keeps plodding on. Get a move on woman!

She doesn't do too much in this book anyways. We have to wait for the next season to see her in some real action.

Yeah, I've said it before, I'll say it again: Iain Glen has a great screen presence, and a great "vocal presence".

Yes I agree, he is both. I think he and Charles Dance have similar arresting quality even though they would not even get very animated or loud in a scene.

Jorah is a great character, a tragic kind of character who still is the one wall of confidence and trust behind which Daenerys can retreat. But power and station might come between this trust.

Indeed. Great character and Ian Glen just nailed him. As mentioned above, great stage presence.

Speaking of Tywin his scenes are cleverly written since the writers found a way of exploring the more personal side of the character through his relationship with Arya. He confides to a quick witted servant, whom he finds intriguing for her intellect and schooling, much more personal thoughts than to his henchmen. As I said before the dichotomy of almost paternal and yet subtly interrogation styled and sharp discussions is well done. And for whatever wamth there is, the gears still grind behind the discussion and Tywin keeps himself always a bit detached.

It's become one of favourite attributes of the new season. I love the current relationship between Arya and Tywin. The scenes very cleverly personalize the character of Tywin for us while making the conversations so fool of wit. I love their banter. It's great.

Another great episode in the season and I felt it was better than the last. There wasn’t a whole lot of action in this episode, it was more building suspense and character development. But it was done in such a way that it kept you glued on to the screen more than previous development based episodes. The plot was maintained quite well and the acting was superb as usual. I enjoyed that rare touch of compassion between Asha and Theon, a nice touch on the writer’s part. Also, Tyrion was quite engrossing as usual. His threat against Cersei sent chills down my spine. Judging from the little scene we got for Brienne and Jaime, it’s clear that the writers are going to handle that relationship rather well, so I’m looking forward to where that is headed. Daenerys expectedly didn’t do much besides her usual whining, but that girl knows how to keep viewers watching. There’s something about her presence and acting that makes me look forward to every scene of her useless meanderings (the same can be said for the magnificent screen presence of Tywin or Jorah Mormont). Robb’s character development was also well handled. One thing that this episode really flaunted over its predecessors is just how damn talented their cast is. From the child actors to the veterans, every actor has really nailed into the heart of their role and they’ve all somehow found the secret to keeping audiences on the edges of their seats.

A few things I’d like to pick on though:

1. There’s unfortunately a sex scene. And it seemed rather forced if you ask me. If they had not made it so lengthy and more fluid with the narrative flow, then I would have been okay with it.
  2. Why is Varys mentioning the 3 dragons to Tyrion? Did he mention that in the book? Now I think about it, he just might have.

Regardless, I think that the fact the he shares such news with Tyrion takes away from the idea that Varys is keeping these secrets to himself to get Daenerys on the throne.

3. It came to my realization two weeks ago that they took out Jojen and Meera Reed from the show. Why? They’re rather important characters. Do they intend to add them on in the next season instead?

Overall, I believe this was one of the strongest episodes in the season (the best was episode 6 if you ask me). And with 2 episodes left, this was a fantastic season and an absolute joy to watch.

- KK

Another engrossing episode. I pretty much agree with you on all points. But I don't actually like how they handled Robb's relationship with this Volantene woman. Again I question her inclusion into the story in the first place since instead of Jeyne Westerling character they just invented a new one to act the same plot twist in another way. It would not have been enormously difficult to let it play out as it does in the novel. I am interested to see what other purpose does this serve that could not have been achieved by following the plot of the book?

Oh yes Meera and Jojen Reed have not appeared. Perhaps they appear next season since I think they can be written quite easily into the story later if need be. I just hope they have not been dropped altogether.

Another engrossing episode. I pretty much agree with you on all points. But I don't actually like how they handled Robb's relationship with this Volantene woman. Again I question her inclusion into the story in the first place since instead of Jeyne Westerling character they just invented a new one to act the same plot twist in another way. It would not have been enormously difficult to let is play out as it does in the novel. I am interested to see what other purpose does this serve that could not have been achieved by following the plot of the book?

Indeed. I really didn't like this whole "Talisa" business. I liked how Robb's relationship with his mother is handled. But this replacement is of Jeyne is truly baffling...I mean both characters play exactly the same role, why replace the character?! Not to mention this whole "high-born" concept for a woman of Volantis is rather confusing...

I don't what was going through their heads when they made that decision.

Oh yes Meera and Jojen Reed have not appeared. Perhaps they appear next season since I think they can be written quite easily into the story later if need be. I just hope they have not been dropped altogether.

As do I. I'm sure they'll easily insert them in for the next season. I mean they're very important components of Bran's storyline. I'm not sure how they'd pull it off by taking them out without doing some hefty damage to the source material...

So, another episode down, three to go. Season 2 episodes are for the most part really uneven, since not all storylines are equally interesting or captivating (well, at least not at the same time) and also due to the horrible editing. Season 1 really felt more cohesive. Season 2 episode have really good parts, but also really bad parts, in my opinion. This episode was no exception.

To put it simply, that was a scrambled egg of an episode, if you know what I mean.

The second season took a long time to find cohesion and good pace in editorial flow of the stories (this was best in the middle episodes) and then they actually have been slipping here and there, mainly when trying to offer each plot proper screen time. The problem of the story is really the myriad different threads with the main characters where the writers and film makers are faced with the problem of either moving the main plot forward or the character arc forward since very rarely they can do both. So it is either a character moment or main plot moment with very rare point where both advance equally. Plus there has been a lot of completely new material where either a new characters have been invented or the plot deviates from the novels to emphasize something glanced over in the books which in itself takes time. Tywin (for the win!) is a positive example of this in my opinion (although I just like the character and Charles Dance's performance so much), some other meanderings have not been so succesful. I hope they can somehow focus the last few episodes properly so the flow is not as, well not exactly jarring, but perhaps uneven than it has been in some of the episodes.

In season one the plot was much less complicated than it is now though, which is the reason the second season has had some problems with narrative flow.

I have yet to read the second book, but I know more or less what are the scenes that were added in the show, by reading comments here and there, and most of those scenes are nice indeed (like Tywin (for the win!) ones). I don't think he problem doesn't come from those added moments (well, apart from Ygritte talking about Jon's dick. Please, tell me that wasn't in the book.). The core of the problem really lies in the editing, in my opinion. They really need to do something about that, especially if in later seasons, more characters are added to the story, in different locations. I don't want my episodes to be like: PENTOS Dany-O: Illyrio, do you think I can cross the Narrow Sea? Illyrio: Yes. Cut to next scene. KING'S LANDING Joffrey: Off with their heads! Cut to next scene. WINTERFELL Some dude: Winter Is Coming, bitches. Cut to next scene. BEYOND THE WALL Ygritte: Snow's balls fight! Oh boy, this going to be a pain in the ass to follow all those storylines!

Yes, I can see the issues with the editing. But this new season is a lot more complicated than the first one. And there are a lot of storylines. In the first season, we had fewer characters and they were often grouped off together so there were less specific storylines needed to be explored. But considering how everyone is completely split apart with their own storylines, its a lot to cover.

P.S.: I would like to apologize for writing "enigmatic" the wrong way three times in a row in my previous post. I don't know what happened. I must have been drunk when writing that post. Or maybe I was smoking weed. Or maybe I was drunk and smoking weed at the same time. Whatever. It is now corrected, thank the gods. It won't happen again, I promise.

Don't fool me with your empty promises BloodBoal! I deny your apology ;)

Yes the quick cutting sometimes makes you feel like things end in mid-sentence, like there surely should be more but no they are not going to show that and whisk you away to another scene.

Attention - S02 E08 spoilers for everyone who hasn't seen it yet...

I really like the intimate character episodes. They give the story time to breathe and the characters to become alive. The element of background history while common in the first season dissappeared almost completely for the first season 2 episodes and now returned for ep7 and 8.

Of course now that GoT is a mainstream show you always have people crying about "slow" character moments and even worse those annoying book purists who creep up everytime a book is adapted for film or television and criticize and cry over almost every change there is. They may be even right that some moments changed from the book my have been better unchanged but the show has limited budget, a crazy shooting schedule, the end of episode cliffhanger structure and a different feel altogether.

David and Dan did an amazing job and managed to pull both seasons off much better than i could have ever hoped for.

These stupid book purists don't value what they got, don't understand the amazing luck to get something that GOOD without any MAJOR storyline cuts so far. This is a miracle and they still cry about no weasel soup, no Jamie telling Catelyn about the Mad king or a character swap which changes nothing in the big picture (Jeyne vs Talisa).

90 percent of love stories are soapy because soaps are about nothing else but the difference between soap love stories and good love stories in films/tv is the acting. Here the actors for Robb and Talisa made it work very well. It was a great decision by the producers to show this love story which will make for an even better

RW

Maybe she still is Jeyne Westerling who could pose as this beautiful, noble foreigner for various reasons. Her house is sworn to the Lannisters...

I also thought about what Blood or Incanus said about the fast cuts and the confusing structure. Well the explanation is easy... they have too many storylines and still need the episode cliffhangers while carefully have to jump over events they can't show cause of cost cutting or time jumps!

This means that there have to be scenes or episodes between scenes of one storyline to explain the sense of passing time (ergo Theons departure from Pyke and the sacking of Winterfell are an episode apart. They wouldn't work in the same episode as Theon travels about a month to Winterfell)

Concerning the Score:

I really felt that Djawadi finally improved and created some rare beautiful moments.

The best track of the season so far (and maybe the whole show) appears in the final scene leading into the credits of episode 8. It's like a concert arrangement of the Stark Theme with very good classy orchestration. For every naysayer just check that track out!

He also created a good love melody which nicely enhanced the Robb Talia scene. I also like the theme for Jaqen H'ghar played in the credits of episode 5 and developed in the subsequent episodes as well as in episode 5.

For all of those who are angry about missing theme development: The probably best new season 2 theme is Theon Greyjoys theme.

Djawadi developed it from a lyrical first appearance on the way to Pyke to the epic, noble statement heard in Theon's baptism into the completely transformed crazy, depressing and dramatic rendition of the same theme in the Winterfell courtyard scene. The theme was also used in the hunt scene for Bran and later again in the dramatic rendition during the credits. Finally Djawadi created a tender statement for a lovely scene between Theon and Asha/Yara in ep8.

Ramin Djawadi is slowly getting better at his job! Now he only needs to convince Hans Zimmer to give him a good sample library.. or David and Dan to get orchestra scoring budget.

That trailer looks epic....does this mean we'll FINALLY have a full-on battle sequence? Or will we just get shots of everything AFTER the action is finished? ;)

But I've got to say, the similarities between some of those sequences do really cry The Siege of Gondor to me.

Go back to the abyss prepared for you! Go back! Fall into nothingness that awaits you and your Master. Go!

And Bronn looks nothing like Legolas even though he is badass of highest order! But he has yet to surf on a shield, climb on a horse in mid-canter by just touching it's neck and kill a gigantic elephant creature of myths. I am counting on you sellsword! I believe in you! You can save Middle-Ear... sorry King's Landing.

Oh my I have to wait until the episode comes out to reveal my epic ode to Bronn.

But I've got to say, the similarities between some of those sequences do really cry The Siege of Gondor to me.

That statement is moronic! It looks way more like The Battle Of The Hornburg than The Siege Of Gondor! Revise your classics, Merciful One!

Wake up BloodBoal! It's obviously the Siege of Gondor they're after.

Flaming arrows in the night? Attack by sea? The fact that the siege is on a city, not a fort? ;)

It's totally like battle for Narnia and not Siege of Gondor!

That statement is moronic! It looks way more like The Battle Of The Hornburg than The Siege Of Gondor! Revise your classics, Merciful One!

Flaming arrows in the night? Attack by sea? The fact that the siege is on a city, not a fort? ;)

There was no flaming arrows during The Siege Of Gondor, you maple syrup eater!

Battle taking place during the night + rain all over the place + archers all over the place + a dwarf = The Battle Of The Hornburg

Neither Hormburg nor Gondor had flaming arrows. But flaming arrows are reminiscent of Grond. And Hornburg never had an attack by sea. And you can see a bunch of people freaking out in the city, like the innocents of Minas Tirith.

Rubbish! Where are the talking mice, the centaurs, the eagles and various other cute creatures in armour?!

Battle taking place during the night + rain all over the place + archers all over the place + a dwarf = The Battle Of The Hornburg

Neither Hormburg nor Gondor had flaming arrows. But flaming arrows are reminiscent of Grond. And Hornburg never had an attack by sea. And you can see a bunch of people freaking out in the city, like the innocents of Mina's Tirith.

Yes that was one of Denethor's more brilliant ideas, leaving the city full of civilians. They make a good human shield in time of siege don't they and buy time for the troops when black trolls slaughter them before going after the soldiers.

Neither Hormburg nor Gondor had flaming arrows. But flaming arrows are reminiscent of Grond. And Hornburg never had an attack by sea. And you can see a bunch of people freaking out in the city, like the innocents of Mina's Tirith.

Yes that was one of Denethor's more brilliant ideas, leaving the city full of civilians. They make a good human shield in time of siege don't they and buy time for the troops when black trolls slaughter them before going after the soldiers.

It's a brilliant military strategy, but who can expect less from good ol' Denethor. He sees all there is to know from the White Tower.

Now I feel like listening to The Pyre of Denethor. That cue is awesome.

Neither Hornburg nor Gondor had Joffrey. But Joffrey is reminiscent of Theoden. And Gondor never had rain. And you can see a bunch of archers getting ready in the city, like the Elven archers of Helm's Deep

Nonsense! Joffrey is nothing like Theoden and there were archers at Mina's Tirith too!!

Rubbish! Where are the talking mice, the centaurs, the eagles and various other cute creatures in armour?!

What about the Hound?

Well played BloodBoal. But that's one creature.