GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

Theory: Kit Harrington said he's not in season 6 because The Wall won't be shown in Season 6 at all; We'll return to it in Season 7 where we'll see a resurrected Jon Snow

http://comicbook.com/2015/06/15/how-the-biggest-game-of-thrones-season-5-death-could-be-undone/

I'm actually wondering where the still-alive half of Stannis's army is going to end up. You know, the couple thousand people, including all of his cavalry that must now be aimlessly wandering about somewhere in the North.

There are only 2 factions left they could join: The Iron Throne or The Iron Islands. With Renly Stannis, and Robb dead, its down to Baratheons/Lannisters/Tyrells vs Greyjoys for The War of the Five Kings.

A third option is that they end up joining Dany's faction someone if she ever crosses the ocean and arrives in Westeros. I'm assuming she'll only attempt to try to take King's Landing if she has the help from the Greyjoys or the Dornish.

I'm still confused on that War of the Five Kings business. Was it even called that on the show? I always assumed that war basically ended with the Red Wedding and that only Stannis was stubborn enough to still keep his armies marching with the Iron Throne as his endgame. So is this war really still going?

I'm still confused on that War of the Five Kings business. Was it even called that on the show? I always assumed that war basically ended with the Red Wedding and that only Stannis was stubborn enough to still keep his armies marching with the Iron Throne as his endgame. So is this war really still going?

"The War of the Five Kings" was (1) Joffrey/Tommen Baratheon backed by the Lannisters and Tyrelles, (2) Renly Baratheon, and (3) Stannis Baratheon, who each thought they deserved to be the rightful king of all of The Seven Kingdoms; plus (4) Robb Stark who thought The North should separate and not be under the rule of The Iron Throne, and (5) Balon Greyjoy, who felt the Iron Islands should separate and not be under the rule of the Iron Throne (Actually, I think he wanted to eventually rule all of Westeros too?)

Well now Renly and Stannis and Robb are all dead. The North has been made part of the Seven Kingdoms again, with Roose Bolton granted the title of Lord of it.

So this just leaves the Baratheon/Lannister/Tyrelles vs The Greyjoys, right?

Why haven't we heard about the Greyjoys in a while? In Season 2 Balon sent Yara to mount some attacks on the North while Robb was busy in the south. Theon meanwhile took over Winterfell, but didn't get enough men from Yara to keep it after he goes too far by "killing" Bran and Rickon.

In season 3 we had to suffer through watching Ramsay torture Theon, and in the season 3 finale Balon and Yara receive his dick in a box and Yara vows to go rescue him. In season 4 we had that silly rescue sequence where Yara tried and failed to rescue him and that was about it.

But what's up? Why did all of Seasons 4 and 5 go by without showing Balon Greyjoy again? Is he alive? Is he still at war against the Iron Throne? Did the deaths of Joffrey or Tywin affect his plans in any way?

I have read that they are casting some Greyjoys for next season and that's cool, but wouldn't that have a been a better story to tell this season instead of the Dorne one? Hmmm.

Is it possible Daenarys will team up with the Greyjoys to attack King's Landing together?

Essentially yes.

"The War of the Five Kings" was (1) Joffrey/Tommen Baratheon backed by the Lannisters and Tyrelles, (2) Renly Baratheon, and (3) Stannis Baratheon, who each thought they deserved to be the rightful king of all of The Seven Kingdoms; plus (4) Robb Stark who thought The North should separate and not be under the rule of The Iron Throne, and (5) Balon Greyjoy, who felt the Iron Islands should separate and not be under the rule of the Iron Throne (Actually, I think he wanted to eventually rule all of Westeros too?)

Well now Renly and Stannis and Robb are all dead. The North has been made part of the Seven Kingdoms again, with Roose Bolton granted the title of Lord of it.

So this just leaves the Baratheon/Lannister/Tyrelles vs The Greyjoys, right?

Why haven't we heard about the Greyjoys in a while? In Season 2 Balon sent Yara to mount some attacks on the North while Robb was busy in the south. Theon meanwhile took over Winterfell, but didn't get enough men from Yara to keep it after he goes too far by "killing" Bran and Rickon.

In season 3 we had to suffer through watching Ramsay torture Theon, and in the season 3 finale Balon and Yara receive his dick in a box and Yara vows to go rescue him. In season 4 we had that silly rescue sequence where Yara tried and failed to rescue him and that was about it.

But what's up? Why did all of Seasons 4 and 5 go by without showing Balon Greyjoy again? Is he alive? Is he still at war against the Iron Throne? Did the deaths of Joffrey or Tywin affect his plans in any way?

I have read that they are casting some Greyjoys for next season and that's cool, but wouldn't that have a been a better story to tell this season instead of the Dorne one? Hmmm.

Is it possible Daenarys will team up with the Greyjoys to attack King's Landing together?

Uhm, yes. But was it called that in the show?

And with so many of the players in that war out of the picture for so long, I really assumed it was over.

Yes, it was called that on the show, twice in fact.

And it is basically over now, unless we see Balon Greyjoy mustering an army in the next season. Since we haven't seen them since the Season 3 finale, we really have no clue what any of the Greyjoys have been up to in the show-universe since then, other than Yara's attempt to free Theon.

I think it is over. And I dont recall it being named that on the show.

There really isnt anyone left now in Westeros who will challenge Tommen's rule.

The Greyjoy's and the people of the Vale seem to be isolationalists with no desire for any kind of conflict. The Tyrells have no reason to depose Tommen.

It will have to be Dany....oneday

There seems to be plenty of factions that aren't happy with the Tommen Baratheon rule, but they have no leader anyone able to muster everyone together into armies to actually attempt a coup at the moment. Unless Balon Greyjoy will do that next season.

And it is basically over now, unless we see Balon Greyjob mustering an army in the next season.

But why would he do that?

The backstory of Balon Greyjoy is that he already tried to seceed from the rule of the Iron Throne 10-15 years-ish before the pilot. He was defeated, with his 2 oldest sons killed, and Theon his only remaining son sent to Winterfell as a hostage.

Once Robert Baratheon died, Balon declared himself king once again, becoming the 5th king in The War of the Five Kings.

The problem is that the show world simply forgot all about him after he received Theon's dick in a box.

Pretty much.

This is why i think the King's Landing stories will be boring next year. It'll just be about Cersei trying to stay cool with her one remaining child left alive, protecting him at all costs so the prophecy doesn't come true. She will be mad as hell at Jaime, she will blame him for letting their daughter die.

The only way the story will be interesting is if the Bank of Braavos comes after the Lannisters for the huge debt they are owed, something that was set up back in Season 4 when Davos went there to secure money for Stannis. The bank bet on the wrong man!

Sure, but what are they going to do about it? Are you expecting a Iron Throne vs Dorne war in Season 6?

An alliance between Dorne and Dany hasn't been setup at all (in the show).

But yes, I suspect Dany will have to allign with either the Greyjoys or the Martells if she wants to take over King's Landing.

Probably by marrying a male Lord/Prince. Does that crippled king guy have another male heir besides the one that was supposed to marry Myrcella?

Is her brother Rhaegar the one that kidnapped Lyanna Stark (and probably impregnated her with Jon Snow) or was that another similar named Targaryen?

You know, I don't understand the Sand Snakes / Ellaria's plan. They poisoned Myrcella so she dies on the boat, as revenge for The Mountain killing Oberyn. OK. But now the freaking Prince, Trystane, is stuck on the boat with Jamie. How can they think that will possibly work out well for them?

Or do we think Ellaria doesn't care if Trystane dies? Do we assume Doran had no knowledge of the murder plot?

An alliance between Dorne and Dany hasn't been setup at all.

But yes, I suspect Dany will have to allign with either the Greyjoys or The Dornish if she wants to take over King's Landing.

Probably by marrying a male Lord/Prince. So that crippled king guy have any male heirs?

Doran has a daughter and a son. In the books

you discover that Doran plotted to have the former betrothed to Viserys and the latter to Daenerys.

A Dornish alliance with the Targaryen is more likely than a Greyjoy one.

An alliance between Dorne and Dany hasn't been setup at all.

Well, Dany's older brother (Rhaegar) was married to Elia Martell (Oberyn and Doran's sister), so the two family have common history.

Indeed. The Dornish have always had a strong relationship with the Targaryens.

KK, when you say Doran has a son, do you mean Trystane, who's on the boat with a grieving Jamie Lannister right now? Or another son?

Trystane is Doran's son, yes.

I know that, I'm asking if he's the son Doran wants to setup with Dany, or if he had additional sons as well. Because it seemed like he was happy with Trystane marrying Myrcella.

Woops yeah. I forgot to include Trystane. Quentyn is kind of like Doran's little secret.

As with the last two seasons, I've kept track of the amount of time spent on each thread of the story. This one was the easiest to split up: there are four major blocks - The Wall (and beyond), the North, King's Landing and Meereen - each of which gets a standard feature film's worth of time, and three minor ones (Braavos, Dorne and Tyrion's journey) with about half as much time each.

Stannis's storyline is the only major thread to bridge two different blocks, being at the Wall for the first five episodes and then passing into the North. Tyrion's storyline joins the Meereen one from his arrival at the lower fighting pit. If we were to regard Tyrion's journey as part of the same thread as Meereen, it would bump that up to the largest of the four major blocks rather than the smallest. Times are rounded off to the nearest five minutes.

Season 5

• The Wall: 115 mins (22%)
  • The North: 105 mins (20%)
  • King's Landing: 95 mins (18%)
  • Meereen: 85 mins (16%)
  • Braavos: 50 mins (9%)
  • Dorne: 40 mins (8%)
  • Tyrion's Journey: 40 mins (8%)

I'd guess that the fact that the time is distributed fairly evenly among the four major blocks is a factor contributing to the sense of having too many climaxes too close together that many people have expressed for this season...

So is this accurate?

The show has caught up to the books for these characters:
Bran Stark (& Hodor)
Jon Snow
Daenerys Targaryen
Theon Greyjoy
Davos Seaworth
Melisandre
Cersei Lannister

The show has not yet caught up to the books for these characters:
Arya Stark
Samwell Tarly (& Gilly)
Balon Greyjoy (& and other Iron Islands characters)

The show went beyond the books for these characters
Tyrion Lannister
Jorah Mormont
Barristan Selmy
Stannis Baratheon (& Selyse & Shireen)
The Night's King

These character's storyline are so different on the show, its hard to say if some book stuff might appear next season, or some show stuff might appear next book
Sansa Stark
Jaime Lannister
Brienne of Tarth (& Podrick)
Petyr Baelish
Varys
Bronn
Ellia Martell & The Sand Snakes

I'd put Barristan Selmy in the last category. For one, he's still alive, and continues to play a fairly important role in the Meeren storyline. They just kind of got rid of him in the show, probably for shock value.

Jorah Mormont too.

Daenerys' storyline follows the book fairly accurately, but in broad strokes, without going into all the political details and stuff.

Probably. Still, I don't think they should have killed him off. If there was any death I found cheap in this season, it was that one.

So, the show is caught up to Dany's personal journey, but not aspects of the politics of Meereen.

On 6/16/2015 at 5:31 PM, KK. said:

They just kind of got rid of him in the show, probably for shock value.

I wouldn't say it was for shock. I think it had two primary functions: (1) to increase the sense of adversity faced by Daenerys's regime, and (2) to leave a vacancy for that particular role in the Meereenese plot.

On 6/16/2015 at 5:26 PM, Jay said:

So is this accurate?

Davos has a different storyline in the books, not really comparable to his current scenario in the show.

Jaime's Dornish Exploits might be a sort of intermission for his character before getting back in the direction it's going in the book - but, yeah, it's hard to say.

On 6/16/2015 at 5:25 PM, BloodBoal said:

I'd love for a fan to do an edit of the show combining all the footage from each storyline.

The Daenerys storyline, in particular, has been largely separate from everything else so far (presumably not permanently!). If you take all of the Daenerys stuff since Season 1 and consider it in isolation, there's barely enough to fill seven episodes. Here's what it would look like:

GAME OF DRAGONS

Episode 1

Daenerys is forced into marriage with Khal Drogo, with whom she gradually forges a loving relationship. As her confidence in her new role as a Khaleesi increases, her relationship with her obnoxious brother Viserys deteriorates to the point where, in response to his threat to her unborn child, he is summarily executed in the middle of a big piss-up.

Episode 2

After an attempt to assassinate Daenerys is thwarted by Jorah, Drogo resolves to gather his horde and embark on an invasion of the Seven Kingdoms. He falls victim to an infected wound and Daenerys's attempt to save him using blood magic results in her suffering a miscarriage. After Drogo, surviving in a catatonic state, is deserted by his khalasar, Daenerys kills him and burns herself on his funeral pyre, from which she arises with three newly hatched dragons.

Episode 3

Daenerys and her followers struggle to survive across the Red Waste, but eventually arrive at and gain admittance to the city of Qarth. She is unable to acquire suitable support for her goal of reconquering Westeros. While there, several of her guards are killed and her dragons stolen. In the House of the Undying, she receives visions of Drogo and her son, the Wall, and the Throne Room of King's Landing covered in snow. She recovers the dragons, kills the culprits, and pillages enough valuables to leave Qarth by sea.

Episode 4

Arriving at Astapor in the Slaver's Bay, Daenerys is pissed off with the slave business. Using trickery and Drogon, she acquires a large army of Unsullied soldiers. On a crusade to free the slaves, she moves north to Yunkai, which her army is easily able to conquer with the aid of Second Sons defector Daario Naharis. Seeing the hundreds of thousands of ex-slaves emerge in adulation to her, Daenerys begins to develop a Mhysa complex.

Episode 5

The dragons are becoming larger and wilder as Daenerys marches to Meereen, last and greatest of the cities of Slaver's Bay. With word of her liberating antics having reached the city, the ruling regime is successfully overthrown by a slave revolt from within. Realising that her campaign has left Slaver's Bay in disarray, she acknowledges a responsibility to bring stability to the region before daring to claim the Iron Throne. Unwilling to tolerate the increasing danger posed to civilians by her dragons, she has them chained up, except for the AWOL Drogon.

Episode 6

Daenerys struggles to keep Meereen under control as widespread discontent over her violation of their cultural traditions boils over into terrorist insurgency. In attempting to prove herself a just ruler, she manages to piss everyone off. After an attack leaves members of her inner circle dead or seriously wounded, her innate instinct to appeal to dragon power flares up briefly. She again suppresses this instinct and announces a more conciliatory approach, including revoking her closure of the fighting pits, and forming a marital alliance with the Meereenese nobility.

Episode 7

Daenerys's concessions appear to have been effective, with terrorist violence in Meereen having ground to a halt. Visiting the lower pits in the run-up to the Great Games, Daenerys is presented with the fugitive Tyrion Lannister. She is persuaded to accept him into her service as a political advisor for her Westeros campaign. At the opening of the Great Games, the terrorists spring a coup, which is disrupted by the reappearance of the absentee dragon. Daenerys becomes a dragonrider for the first time and is bourne away to the Dothraki sea where, alone, she is surrounded by a huge khalasar.

That's a different kind of slow burn. I never got the feeling watching True Detective, or Saul earlier this year, that it wasnt going to go somewhere. It was slow, but steady....

The writing and characterisation in True Detective are on another level of sophistication to Game of Thrones. I'd never compare them.

That's a different kind of slow burn. I never got the feeling watching True Detective, or Saul earlier this year, that it wasnt going to go somewhere. It was slow, but steady....

The writing and characterisation in True Detective are on another level of sophistication to Game of Thrones. I'd never compare them.

Plus there isn't an army of characters in that show. Entirely different approach in the storytelling as well.