Giacchino -NOT- "working alongside" Williams on Star Wars 7 score

Jay

I am sure KM will be beaming with joy for weeks because of this piece of news. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if Giacchino pops over to London at some point during the recording sessions regardless, but yes this does seem to indicate he has not been hired in an official capacity to work on the score.

Thanks for posting, Bilbo!

And sorry if I offended you earlier, I was just trying to help! Tweets should be sourced when posted here anyway, IE with a URL back to the original tweet, so people can't just make stuff up and trick people.

No more paranoid JWFan conspiracy theories? Awww.

I wouldn't be surprised if Giacchino pops over to London at some point during the recording sessions regardless.

Definitely. I fully expect him to be there at the recording sessions.

No more paranoid JWFan conspiracy theories? Awww.

I wouldn't be surprised if Giacchino pops over to London at some point during the recording sessions regardless.

Definitely. I fully expect him to be there at the recording sessions.

European JWFan member should all converge on London, and demand full access!

Denied via twitter:

Jason Ward ‏@MakingStarWars 17h

Hi, @m_giacchino is there any accuracy to the AICN rumor you're assisting John Williams in scoring Star Wars VII?

Michael Giacchino ‏@m_giacchino 13m

@MakingStarWars - nope - JW surely doesn't need help from me / he's done this before and it will be brilliant as always.

I was coming here to post that. Just so you guys know, JWFan was instrumental in getting an official answer. I work with the guy who got a response from Giacchino and asked him to get an official answer that I could share with you. Now we can all relax.

LONG TIME lurker. I think I've had an account here since the Attack of the Clone days. It's always been hard for me to engage in a serious discussion here because the knowledge level is so over my head but I love reading what people have to say and contributing whatever I can. Recently, my buddy started a Star Wars website called Makingstarwars.net and asked me to assist with selecting music for the podcast as well as for commercial breaks. I also write articles or point out things I find on the internet that pertain to Star Wars (That's how Kiner's uploading of more Clone Wars music came to be widely known.) It's grown fairly large, VERY quickly and now we are listed as one of the fan sites on Starwars.com.

If anyone ever wants to write an article about the music of Star Wars, we'd be happy to publish it. Obviously there would be no pay involved as we don't see a dime ourselves but I'm certain there are some really knowledgable smart people out there that would love to inform us all about the beauty of Williams and his Star Wars music.

I'm so excited about this - can someone screenshot the confirmation tweet?

znk3f9.png

Good stuff. I bet he's gonna help John knock this one out of the park.

There hasn't been a collab like this in years. Good or bad, people will be talking about this one for quite a while.

Confirmed via twitter:

Jason Ward ‏@MakingStarWars 17h

Hi, @m_giacchino is there any accuracy to the AICN rumor you're assisting John Williams in scoring Star Wars VII?

Michael Giacchino ‏@m_giacchino 13m

@MakingStarWars - yep - i'll be writing themes and setpieces, and johnny will arrange the material, rearrange preexisting material, and conduct.

wow wow wow!

Let's face it, Williams hasn't been able to churn anything interesting out for ages. At this point he needs some guidance from someone who understands modern storytelling. Giacchino is the man to reignite the old glory.

Karol

I hope the score will still be pure JW at heart. Hopefully more of a learning experience for Giachino than a 50/50 collab.

May Giacchino is just orchestrating?

I hope the score will still be pure JW at heart. Hopefully more of a learning experience for Giachino than a 50/50 collab.

May Giacchino is just orchestrating?

I think they're both composing themes, kind of like Zimmer and Howard on Batman.

I'm sure it'll be seamless, as it was the case with those gentlemen.

Karol

Yeah, in a way I'm glad I suppose. It's quite possible that Gia has surpassed Williams and is even more qualified to write for Star Wars than the Maestro himself.

Ah well....I guess its the only the next natural step for his career.

Williams is a big man for agreeing to this though. Has he ever done something like this before?

I think he arranged William Ross' music for Chamber of Secrets. That's the closest example I can think of. There might be more. Williams is not as generous with crediting collaborators as others in this business.

Karol

I've felt like that since the first time I played the CD. There is just something very "off' about it.

Of-course I've been saying this for years and the revisionists kept bashing me. All so eager to forget the OFFICIAL REPORT that John Williams only scored about 40 minutes of CoS.

Why the hell does the thread title read "RUMOR DEBUNKED!!!!!" when it's actually confirmed?

Jason has a wicked sense of humour

Karol

Why the hell does the thread title read "RUMOR DEBUNKED!!!!!" when it's actually confirmed?

Jason has a wicked sense of humour

Karol

Everything I know about him says otherwise! I mean, he hated the sharpest episode of Black Mirror!

I should have said "wicked sense of humour in the best tradition of Massachusetts school".

EDIT: But now it seems he's chickened out. And it's back to normal.

Karol

I think Jason was just confused.

I am curious to hear how Giacchino would treat the old themes, I'll say that.

I wonder who gets the biggest say in orchestration?

Giacchino definitely has a more goofy sound, and John's sound is way more...refined. But I think this generation of Star Wars might benefit from more of that goofy sound. Otherwise it might come across as too pretentious.