A question about Angela's Ashes score

Miguel Andrade

Well,at least Williams didn't make the dreadful mistake of putting the poems into the American Journey c.d..I was REALLY scaredd before the c.d. came out,it was just after Angela's Ashes and the live version had narration.

I'm sorry to disagree with you... but the lack of the poems was the thing that really made me sad about that release.

;) Toto: The Seventh One

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two scores than in my view work great with narration: Angela's Ashes and Hannibal. In the case of Angela's Ashes, the fact that the book is so wonderful certainly helps.

I've had the McCourt's book for years, but have never read it. Should I? Or should I wait until I can play the CD while reading? ;)

It's a crime if you have it and haven't read it yet. This is one of the greatest literary joys I've ever had, reading it, and feeling the music going by me while doing that -- not necessarilly listening to the score on cd, but on my mind.

I've read so many books over the years, but this is one that I really loved, and is probably one of my all time favourites.

So you're going to need the score... check your pm inbox in a couple of hours :(

;) Williams: Concerto for Violin and Orchestra (revised version)

There are two scores than in my view work great with narration: Angela's Ashes and Hannibal. In the case of Angela's Ashes, the fact that the book is so wonderful certainly helps.

I disagree about AA, but I totally agree about Hannibal. They add so much to the fantastic atmosphere the album creates.

And don't get me started  on the Reivers Suite on music from Stage and Screen.

That's the problem with narration. Each time you listen you always get the same text and words are usually less ambiguous than music. At first, I kind of liked the Reivers Suite narration but now I truly wish I could erase it from the album. In the end, it's only the music that matters.

Alex

And don't get me started  on the Reivers Suite on music from Stage and Screen.

K.M.

Well, this suite was really prepared with the narration in mind, and has additional music written, composed only in 1979, for his opening concert with the Boston Pops.

:) Bach: Brandeburg Concert nº. 1

The Jurassic Park theme sure didn't look simple when I saw a live performance of it.

I'm not refering to the arrangment of either the JP Theme or Back To America. Both are top notch. When stating that the JP Theme is simple and Back To America is simplistic, I'm solely refering to the main melody lines and chord progression of both pieces.

Simple melodies are usually the best ones. Mozart basically got famous for writing simple, effective melodies that even 5 year olds can identify.

Writing a simple, pure melody is the most difficult thing to do. So many composers cloud second rate melodies in impressive orchestrations. But The Raiders' March, the Star Wars Theme or the JP Theme are so simple, yet THEREFORE so good. Great actually!! Williams is one of the few composers alive today who can actually such pure, immediately identifiable melodies. Hedwig's Theme anyone?

Yet, Back To America is a simplistic melody. A melody that, if Horner, Edelman or Broughton had written it, wouldn't be praised that much. It's just "one of those melodies". It doesn't stand out at all. Why? Because it's simplistic. It sounds like a theme ANY composer could have written, whereas the JP Theme sounds like something only a melodic master could have molded together.

Mozart basically got famous for writing simple, effective melodies that even 5 year olds can identify.

Well, in the case of Mozart, he was 5 years old when he discovered his style.

Maybe it's a bad example. But there is a reason why many children songs and lullabies are based on melodies of Mozart (at least in Holland). The man could write such pure, simple melodies.

• 6 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was wondering:

How would you name that piano theme that is played as many times as the main theme in the movie?

(at 2.10)

It seems to be linked to the very dramatic moments in the film (although the whole film is a drama), and it takes a positive note at the end when it becomes major.

Wow you really unearthed an ancient thread. :)

I think the thematic ideas you mention relates to the suffering and perseverance of young Frank and his family, especially the loss of the younger siblings and the tragedies in Frank McCourt's life. In the end Williams turns this motif from suffering and sorrow to joy when Frank arrives to America (Back To America track on the album) as if to inform us how he despite all the pain and tragedy made it to a new life.

so, the tragedy theme? :)

If you want to give it a precise name then that's quite a good one.

hmmm. Actually the loss theme sounds great in Greek! And very elegant! :) Thanks.

well looking at a diagram i have written about the use of the differenet themes in the movie,

this theme has been used for:

-4 deaths & funerals

-hospital scene

-begging for leftovers

-a couple of train station scenes (in one they're waiting for father I think)

etc.

so maybe this is fitting..

Yes it really underscores moments of tragedy and sorrow in many forms. Disappointments, sadness, suffering, failures, all kinds of anguish really.

• 2 years later...

Can we for certain place that unused piece in the scene involving Theresa?

I don't know. Maybe there is a source somehwere that says anything about this theme? (doubtful)

It just sounded to me like a love theme for Theresa.

I can't place it in any other context...

Can we for certain place that unused piece in the scene involving Theresa?

I don't know. Maybe there is a source somehwere that says anything about this theme? (doubtful)

It just sounded to me like a love theme for Theresa.

I can't place it in any other context...

It might well be. It is a lovely melody.

But the soundtrack album is superbly well put together considering Williams often combined several shorter cues together to create these pieces that flow very well. Angels Never Cough is much the same so can we take the track title as indication where the music was originally meant to play or that some of the music from the composite track was used for the scene. I'd have to look the film closer to be able to say anything more specific.