London or Los Angeles for Star Wars VII score? [UPDATE: It's Los Angeles]

lostinspace

Where do you predict the Episode 7 score will be recorded?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you predict the Episode 7 score will be recorded?

• John Williams will conduct the London Symphony Orchestra in London
    • Another conductor will conduct the London Symphony Orchestra in London
    • John Williams will conduct the London Symphony Orchestra during their tour of the US
    • John Williams will conduct a Los Angeles based orchestra

I can't think of any reason at all why Williams would want to record SW VII in London, other than nostalgia.

This sequel trilogy is being made out of nostalgia.

If not, they could have set it 30 years after what they are planning now and all the main cast from the OT would be dead of old age.

I think this bit of news could reinforce the possibility that the score will be recorded in LA instead of London:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/star-wars-j-j-abrams-625516

Um, why would JJ do that... if skywalker sound and kerner optical are based on California? Waste of expenses i think...

I don't think the problem is so much with the LA AFM musicians although some of the trumpet work is not as refined as LSO (however now that Maurice Murphy is gone they might be comparable). I think LA severly lacks a room with the "abbey road" acoustics. Sony is too dry... even to the extent of adding artificial reverb on Tintin. They need another Todd AO or paramount... Then again JW has never recorded in those rooms so it's probably unlikely he'll record anywhere other than Sony.

Well, he's currently recording The Book Thief at the Newman Stage at Fox.

Are you sure thats not 20th Century "Fox" Barbara Streisand Scoring Stage.... Never heard of JW recording at the actual fox scoring stage?!

Let's be logical here. JW has spent a lot of time the past year or two supporting US musician pension and local orchestras at great expense to himself (waving his fees). If not for financial advantage (buy out) why would he record in London rather than LA for Star Wars VII - IX? The only possible reason would be nostalgia and that's not sufficient. What was the last time JJ Abrams directed a film where the score was recorded outside of LA? What was the last time JW recorded a score in London for a non-George Lucas produced film? When was the last time Disney produced film was recorded in London? Lucas recorded in London not because of the musicianship but because of the buy out provisions. Remove him from the equation and you have Abrams who supports the LA musicians who will nail it...I love the fact that Star Wars I-VI were recorded in London because that adds to the non studio feel of the films. The musicianship is excellent but it was excellent in LA scored films too (Close Encounters, E.T, Temple of Doom, 1941, etc.).

Okay, I'll change my mind on this. It might be London.

If this were just any upcoming Williams score, it would be unreasonable to expect recording sessions in London. But this is a world-famous film franchise with a set of world-famous scores spanning nearly forty years, all of which used the LSO. It's part of the genetic code of Star Wars. That's not to say it's a guarantee or anything, but there would be good reasons to go back to them.

If this were just any upcoming Williams score, it would be unreasonable to expect recording sessions in London. But this is a world-famous film franchise with a set of world-famous scores spanning nearly forty years, all of which used the LSO. It's part of the genetic code of Star Wars. That's not to say it's a guarantee or anything, but there would be good reasons to go back to them.

Exactly my thought. The LSO is definitely part of Star Wars' DNA. I wouldn't be surprised if JW thinks the same, considering how instrumental (pardon the pun) the orchestral performance is for him.

Yeah, but people actually like the LSO's contributions. ;)

Regular people don't give a shit about which orchestra will do the score. Most people probably don't even know the LSO did the previous scores.

You soundtrack collectors weirdos tend to forget that.

Says one soundtrack collector weirdo to another.

Yeah, but people actually like the LSO's contributions. ;)

Regular people don't give a shit about which orchestra will do the score. Most people probably don't even know the LSO did the previous scores.

You soundtrack collectors weirdos tend to forget that.

Allow me to correct myself - people who give a shit actually like the LSO's contributions.

if the LSO does not do this and the metal wind does not sound as good, people is going to notice.

just listen to the different orchestras SW main theme recorded by williams. no one comes close.

I have to say that the indy scores are consistent throughout, though.

The title of the list is On Screen Highlights, not all scores LSO has recorded throughout its history.

I can hear that the recording for Potter 2 is slightly more dynamic. That doesn't have a lot to do with the performance though. Either a different venue, different mike set up etc...

POA was probably done with many of the same players, but sounds different because a different engineer recorded it.

And "Harry's Wondrous World" is the same recording used in both 1 and 2, but 2 uses the ending that is now part of the concert suite. The patching is totally seamless, even if it's a different orchestra.

You guys bring up some interesting thoughts about sound of HP 1 , 2 and 3

I think 2 sounds the most wet, there is also quite a lot of room noise on some of the tracks.

3 sounds like it was recorded in a different room with different players using a very precise click track. Seriously, 3 sounds sooo different. Still good but much dryer sound.

Because it was done by a different recording engineer.

Yes it was the Shawn "Hit and Miss" Murphy.