Princess Leia's Theme or Anakin's Theme?

Ricard

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is better?

• Princess Leia's Theme
    • Anakin's Theme

Yeah. Anakin's theme is some solid writing, and the nod to Vader in the descent is very clever, but I found there was always something a bit 'off-key' about the structure of the melody. Maybe it was by design, but I just find it strangely musically unsatisfying.

Somewhat unfair of a comparison. Leia's theme is arguably not only the best theme of SW; it may well be the best romantic piece of the 20th century. So, yes Leia's theme is better, but that says very little about the quality of Anakin's theme, which is a nice child-like string piece with overtones of a more serious nature.

If it means anything, I like Anakin's theme over the luke/leia sibling theme, which I find a bit too insistent.

It feels unfinished, which was probably the point if JW had intended to develop it further in the next 2 films.

But he didn't. So it's kind of unsatisfactory in that respect.

I literally mean the progression of the notes and how they feel uncanny to me, sort of melodically unhinged. Maybe that's its genius, but it doesn't completely work, imo.

I still appreciate and quite enjoy the piece though. It's fascinating.

In Anakin's theme, there is dignity, honor, freedom, and beauty... all that I could ask of music, but my heart is still a prisoner of the past. I... I cannot choose now.

To me, Anakin's theme is innocent, gentle and pleasant. Leia's theme is lyrical, sweeping and beautiful. Although they're both leitmotivs, they don't try to represent the same qualities in their characters, who are themselves completely different from each other. As such, it's hard to compare their function within the score.

On a strictly aesthetic basis, Leia's theme is more musically interesting and catches my ear much better.

Anakin's theme is great.

But Leia's theme is one of the best in all of film music history.

Of course, that doesn't mean Anakin's theme is less good at what it's supposed to be. The chromatic "tilt" to the melody is spot on, I think. And it also doesn't mean that I agree with the original post. Williams' style has changed gradually through the years, and you can hear clear traces of TPM to be in scores like Last Crusade.

Somewhat unfair of a comparison. Leia's theme is arguably not only the best theme of SW; it may well be the best romantic piece of the 20th century.

Now now, let's not cheapen it with grandiose overstatements. It's beautiful.

I find plenty to enjoy in both compositions, which are testaments of Williams' amazing skill as a composer of short well-developed pieces that actually go beyond their mere filmic nature. So I really cannot pick one over the other.

Of course Leia's Theme speaks to the child inside me, as that score is what introduced me to his art and to the art of film music itself, but Anakin's Theme is such a good piece of music that I cannot simply dump out even if it's just a poll game.

I think most (if not all) of the themes in the OT are "superior" to the PT. At least, I enjoy the OT themes more the PT themes, even though none of them are bad by any means. I'm wondering if Anakin's theme would have had more impact if Williams had used it and developed it more throughout the PT instead of directly using Vader's theme.

Anakin's theme is underrated. I wish it had been developed through the latter two prequels. I assume that was Lucas' decision and not Williams'.

To me, Anakin's theme is innocent, gentle and pleasant. Leia's theme is lyrical, sweeping and beautiful. Although they're both leitmotivs, they don't try to represent the same qualities in their characters, who are themselves completely different from each other. As such, it's hard to compare their function within the score.

On a strictly aesthetic basis, Leia's theme is more musically interesting and catches my ear much better.

Williams' genius move in STAR WARS was the decision to forego Ben's Theme in favor of Leia's Theme when Ben gets cut down by Vader.

It is both sad and yet, still swashbuckling at the same time.

Anakin's Theme is probably harmonically a bit too slippery - by design - so most listener's instinct tells them the to go with the precious romantic crowdpleaser. While i love the construction of the concert version of Leia's Theme, i don't find the main melodic line that appealing but that also goes for Ilia's Theme from ST, two of those late 70's pieces i just find a bit too ripe to take.

I can't listen to Love Theme From Superman The Movie without hearing those lyrics.

"You can fly...you belong in the sky!"

Pure poetry mate!

"I can't wait till you eat my pie!"