Scariest Star Wars music?

Unlucky Bastard

As a kid, I used to freak out at the main title music when the opening crawl was disappearing into the oblivion of space. That frantic, almost hysterical music made me go "Where's the writing going? Will it ever be seen again?!"

Any other choices?

What a man! With balls as big as a watermelon!

For you information, it has little to do with balls but more that I find it beautiful, like for instance Requiem for Soprano, Mezzo Soprano, Two Mixed Choirs & Orchestra in 2001: ASO.

Parts of Horner's Aliens and one particular cue in Goldsmith's Poltergeist put me on edge. The Shining also has some brilliantly unsettling music.

Not Star Wars ;)

The Tractor Beam.

'The Emperor's Throne Room', without any doubt. Quite possibly some of the eeriest music to have ever been written for the silver screen.

Along those lines, I think one of Williams' most effective moments in the scores and the closest thing to a scary Star Wars moment I can think of:

1:12-1:25'ish

So fucking awesome. I remember being kinda creeped out by this moment in the film as the Emperor is about to kill Luke.

Some of the Emperor's music in Jedi still gets to me. Really bonechilling stuff.

Also, it's not scary so much as eerily tense, but I love the distant tinkles of dissonant piano just after Leia wraps up her speech before the Battle of Hoth.

Some of the Emperor's music in Jedi still gets to me. Really bonechilling stuff.

Also, it's not scary so much as eerily tense, but I love the distant tinkles of dissonant piano just after Leia wraps up her speech before the Battle of Hoth.

Yes - definitely. Two pianos in unison, I think, by the way?

As a side note, the passage that follows is probably one of my favourite fanfare-esque moments in ESB. Pure bliss.

'The Emperor's Throne Room', without any doubt. Quite possibly some of the eeriest music to have ever been written for the silver screen.

Funny thing, I think its so "loud", "busy" and over the top, that its not really scary just really enjoyable.

Along those lines, I think one of Williams' most effective moments in the scores and the closest thing to a scary Star Wars moment I can think of:

1:12-1:25'ish

So fucking awesome. I remember being kinda creeped out by this moment in the film as the Emperor is about to kill Luke.

1:25 to 1:45 is what really creeped me out, especially with the visuals.

I believe so, yep. And then you get the high violins and the softly militaristic percussion in there...so good.

Oh, the two piano parts are not written in unison, by the way. One of the two doubles the other an octave higher, with some slight vertical omissions here and there to make the melody more apparent (harmony that high isn't all too perceivable, anyway).

I was referring to this particular cue, Fal ;).

I know.

Its one of those cues that seems so loud on album, but in film is almost barely noticable (in a good way).

That moment in The Tide Turns after the rendition of the force theme and the battle is over, this alarming bloody stinger happens. It scares me because of how abrupt amd out of nowhere it comes. I haven't seen TPM in a while so I can't tell what exactly is incidental about it.

There's not that much STAR WARS music that is particularly scary, IMO. The Sand People music has some wild dissonance; and then there's that cue where Luke walks into the evil tree thingie (ha, ha....can you tell I don't obsess over these things?). Not much else. All the music for the Empire, Vader and the emperor is dark, of course, but not particularly scary.

Agreed. Close Encounters would be better for this conversation.

Most definitely. Or IMAGES. Or a number of individual cues in scores, like the Vietnam sequence in BOT4OJ, or the cue for the freaky attic lady in JANE EYRE, or the cue for those ghostly thingies in HARRY POTTER, or the ritual cue in TEMPLE OF DOOM, or the raptor in the kitchen cue in JP etc. etc.

I listened to the Temple of Doom track on the bus the other day, Thor. Let's just say it was an intense bus ride that resulted in my ears being obliterated by the chanting KORA, KORA, KORA SATA JA! (or whatever they were singing)

• 4 weeks later...