Brian Tyler & Danny Elfman - The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Jay

That's true. But there is something Tylery about those chord progressions, clanging anvils and string ostinato.

It might be just Elfman paying attention to his colleagues' work.

Karol

Probably. But that's more for the orchestration and colours. The theme is pretty classic Elfman.

I agree.

If it was a Tyler theme, you can expect more of a Zimmer-style power anthem.

KK. likes it!

Yes, and so do I, and other people too. I'm not denying that. But you guys seems to absolutely adore it, like it's the best theme to come out in years!

It would be up there. By default.

Karol

KK. likes it!

Yes, and so do I, and other people too. I'm not denying that. But you guys seems to absolutely adore it, like it's the best theme to come out in years!

Maybe because it's the best thing to come out of a generally "meh" soundtrack for one of the biggest films of the year.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves!

But yes, it's my favourite of the MCU themes. Elfman's seasoned instincts once again shine in the 30 min score he's done, which proves he should do more of these.

It's kind of up there with Horner's Spider-Man theme and two Silvestri tunes. Not terrific, not groundbreaking. But doing exactly what it should be doing.

Which says a great lot about younger composers, more than anything else.

Karol

It's kind of up there with Horner's Spider-Man theme and two Silvestri tunes. Not terrific, not groundbreaking. But doing exactly what it should be doing.

OK, I can work with that!

I took a listen to this score.

You're probably less than not interested in my opinion, but I find it sad. The score, that is. What über-loud rubbish.

I thought Jay liked it, too.

And even Pilgrim said something about it being enjoyable.

Karol

What was enjoyable?

Elfman's music and theme?

Karol

Will Henry Jackman end up composing both parts of Infinity Wars? Considering the directors are the same from the second and third Captain America movies and they're keeping him on board for Civil War seems likely.

I think it could be the closest we got to Powell actually scoring one of these movies.

• 5 weeks later...

I went to a rather eccentric but nonetheless enjoyable concert of Great British Film Music given by the Philharmonia Orchestra yesterday evening. They played some of Brian Tyler's music from this movie as the encore (I understand that the Philharmonia plays on the original soundtrack). I'd not heard the score before so I'm afraid I cannot tell you which cue it was.

Another score I'll never listen to again. I find Elfman's theme really generic too even if it's the least worst thing about it

I love this tune, reminds me of Cutthroat Island. Well, similar sort of thing. It could have been from a high sea swashbuckler. :)

Karol

I quite like the Elfman material on its own. His addition to Silvestri's theme is pretty good. But most of the score is blah and it was particularly lackluster in the film.

I saw the film a second time, so I was able to pay attention to the score a little more closely. I have to say, the few moments that the score really stood out for me (the percussion when Widow's cycle dropped out of the jet, the music as Vision looks at himself in the glass) were both Tyler bits. The other stand-out was the end credits, which were of course Elfman/Silvestri. Pretty much all of the other music was just serviceable.

Well, it's all quite hacked up. The opening sequence is a perfect example of this. It starts with 45 seconds of Elfman cue then segues into Alan Silvestri material, then it's Elfman again, then Tyler. Then Elfman, then Tyler.

Karol

Just got my CD. Had to import it as it wasn't widely released in Europe.

What I find really funny is that Tyler's stuff was recorded by Simon Rhodes and Elfman's stuff wax mixed at Remote Control. Shouldn't it be the other way around? ;)

Karol

That it seems sort of pointless to hire Simon Rhodes, a recording engineer with classical background, to handle Brian Tyler's material. And that Elfman stuff doesn't feel as RC as Tyler's pounding.

Karol

• 3 months later...

Just watched the film with Joss Whedon's commentary. There are some pretty interesting things in there (of various nature)...

Anyway, he mentions the score on four occasions. One of those instances is about using the helicarrier cue by Silvestri for nostalgic purposes. Three other ones refer to Elfman's stuff: the Banner/Widow farm scene, the big church heroic cue (which he calls the most important cue in the film) and the Captain America's theme cameo. Apparently, there was a different version of the cue (doesn't say by whom) but they thought of making that statement instead. But Whedon now things it was a mistake because it was supposed to be a moment of doubt for the character, not the opposite.

Interestingly, he never ever mentions Tyler.

Karol