The Adventures of Tintin MUSIC Discussion thread

Jay

It is great that they list the Hollywood Studio Symphony members in theTintin soundtrack liner notes. I was a bit baffled why e.g. KotCS did not have them listed even though most albums around 2008 had lists of players.. Also in addition to attributing the piano solos to Gloria Cheng, Randy Kerber, another regular sessions keyboard player played the harpsichord solos on this one. And pretty darn well I might add. :)

It is neat to spot regular orchestra members that have played on so many Williams and of course other film music recordings. E.g. the always marvellous James Thatcher on French horn, Timothy Morrison and Malcolm McNab on trumpet, Steve Erdody on cello. And of course Donald Williams, John's brother on percussion.

Don't forget the great Louise Di Tullio as principal Flute--her playing is truly amazing!

Yes indeed! Her playing in The Pursuit of the Falcon (most probably it is her playing the solo) is so effortlessly dexterous.

Just thought I'd say that Christian just posted his review of the Tintin score on Filmtracks:

http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/tintin.html

And here was a little analysis of my own (its nothing new really, but just thought I'd share):

http://www.filmtracks.com/scoreboard/index.cgi?read=96056

Christian's review really is fantastic! I suggest you all read it.

- KK

Thanks for posting the links KK!

I enjoyed reading both reviews/analyses. I see that we are agreeing on a lot of things about Tintin. :)

i was speaking of the retinal-friendly screen layout...

BloodBoal took his chance to shock and awe people.

And indeed Clemmensen's white text on black background is truly tiring to the eyes.

Did anybody else here a bit of Jabba's Theme at 0:17 of "Capturing Mr. Silk?" :)

Well now that you mention it the up-and-down motion has a bit same swaying as in Jabba's theme.

Well even if you don't have time to read everything, there is a "search this forum" function you can type "filmtracks" into :)

Oh yeah. Good idea.

By the way, the Japanese OS album of Tintin has a different cover!!! (They sometimes do that.) And I like that one a LOT better! Damn, maybe I should have waited to get THAT! Check it out:

http://www.amazon.co...20432137&sr=1-2

I also prefer the Japanese version of PoA:

http://www.amazon.co...20432709&sr=1-4

By the way, the Japanese OS album of Tintin has a different cover!!! (They sometimes do that.) And I like that one a LOT better! Damn, maybe I should have waited to get THAT! Check it out:

The Japanese Tintin cover looks cool even though I find the moody one we have equally classy. That certainly has more of the globe trotting feel. :)

A lot of great music isn't on the OST.

This is the endless debate and well it is the fate of every Williams release but I can't say that we are missing any key sequences. As many have said the music from Karaboudjan is definitely the most interesting of that bunch. But the score as far as I can say after seeing and hearing the film only once is so densely scored there is hardly an unreleased cue without thematic statement of some kind but the OSTmade that rather abundantly clear from the start.

Williams has compiled a very comprehensive OST covering all the major elements of the score in the 65 minute running time. I would not mind more of it but the OST is surprisingly satisfying.

The Japanese Tintin cover looks cool even though I find the moody one we have equally classy. That certainly has more of the globe trotting feel. :)

Well, they are both great, but I think I prefer the Japanese coverart simply because it seems to reflect the movie (and hence the music) a lot better. There are a couple of moody scenes in the movie yes, but generally it's a globetrotting movie with many diverse characters rather than a dark, moody movie.

On the Main Page it says:

But know that if you should order it, the liner notes and the track titles might be in Japanese only (they used to do that primarily in the 80s and 90s). These days it's more likely that they include a small, Japanese-only booklet along with the regular booklet, but I can't be sure...

:)

Here are the track titles translated from Japanese with Google translator:

1. The Adventures of Tintin

2. Theme of Snowy

3. The secret of the scroll

4. Introducing the Chase with Thompson and Snow

5. Marlin Spike Hall

6. Escape From Jean Karabo over

7.. No. unicorns and Sir Francis

8. Captain Haddock take streak Olds

09. Red Rackham's Treasure & The Curse

10. Capturing Mr. Silk

11. The Flight To Baga

12. Milanese version Naiti Gale

13. Presenting Bianca Fiore Custom

14. Pursuit of the Falcon

15. Captain Counsel

16. Crash of the crane's

17. Return to Marlene Hall and Spike Finale

18.'s Adventure Continue

Interesting... Jean Karabo :lol:

Marlene Hall and Spike Finale. Sounds nasty.

No Unicorns and Sir Francis. Sounds a bit sad.

Here are the track titles translated from Japanese with Google translator:

1. The Adventures of Tintin

2. Theme of Snowy

3. The secret of the scroll

4. Introducing the Chase with Thompson and Snow

5. Marlin Spike Hall

6. Escape From Jean Karabo over

7.. No. unicorns and Sir Francis

8. Captain Haddock take streak Olds

09. Red Rackham's Treasure & The Curse

10. Capturing Mr. Silk

11. The Flight To Baga

12. Milanese version Naiti Gale

13. Presenting Bianca Fiore Custom

14. Pursuit of the Falcon

15. Captain Counsel

16. Crash of the crane's

17. Return to Marlene Hall and Spike Finale

18.'s Adventure Continue

:lol: :lol: :lol:

These are the original English titles just phonetically written in Japanese (in katakana)!!! These aren't Japanese translations!

But I meant that what you might see on the back of the CD or in the booklet might be written with these Japanese characters.

1. タンタンの冒険 2. スノーウィのテーマ 3. スクロールの秘密 4. イントロデューシング・ザ・トンプソン・アンド・スノーウィズ・チェイス 5. マーリンスパイク・ホール 6. エスケイプフロムザカラボージャン 7. サー・フランシスとユニコーン号 8. キャプテン・ハドック・テイクス・ジ・オールズ 9. レッド・ラッカムズ・カース・アンド・ザ・トレジャー 10. キャプチャリング・ミスター・シルク 11. ザ・フライト・トゥ・バガー 12. ミラネーゼ・ナイティンゲール 13. プレゼンティング・ビアンカ・カスタフィオーレ 14. パースートオブザファルコン 15. キャプテン・カウンセル 16. クラッシュ・オブ・ザ・クレーンズ 17. リターン・トゥ・マーリーン・スパイクホール・アンド・フィナーレ 18. アドヴェンチャー・コンティニューズ

An odd note from the Filmtracks review:

Williams enthusiasts were teased for several years with the knowledge that the composer was set to return with at least four major scores in 2011 and 2012...

Four? Tintin, War Horse, Lincoln, ... So what is the fourth...?

I wonder if the US CD will also use the Japanese cover? I much prefer it over the European cover

To be honest I doubt it. The US and European versions have always had the same cover... Sometimes the Japanese just make their own.

But who knows? This might be a special case, since Europe had the movie release so MUCH earlier than the US.

I don't really like that one.

They should have used the "Tintin and Snowy walk on a globe" poster.

That one represents both the globetrotting and the mystery feeling of the film.

i was speaking of the retinal-friendly screen layout...

BloodBoal took his chance to shock and awe people.

And indeed Clemmensen's white text on black background is truly tiring to the eyes.

You do all realize that on the top right corner below "Editorial Review" theres a printer-friendly option right? I personally enjoy the white on black format, but if you can't read it on that format, just reader the inverted option:

http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/tintin.html?page=print

- KK

Thanks for posting the links KK!

I enjoyed reading both reviews/analyses. I see that we are agreeing on a lot of things about Tintin. :)

Thanks Incanus! Indeed, we do agree on many things, but I wouldn't have noticed some little things if it wasn't from your own review and the discussions here :)

come on it's old news...didnt you know?

Still im lazy to click on it...

And anyway clemmensen reviews arent that interesting after all :P

Come on! It's such a tiny little button, it's screaming "Don't click on me!". Hence why I never tried.

And I like reading Clemmensen's reviews, even if I don't always agree with him. It full of little bits of information about the film and/or the score that I didn't know about, and it can also be a lot of fun reading sometimes (especially the ones about some MV composer scores).

Clemmensen is one of the very best film score reviewers out there imo.

I'm currently busy on an isolated score of Old Enemies Meet.

If anyone wants more isolated scores, just ask.

Isn't it better to wait for the DVD/Bluray so that you don't do the same job twice? ;)

I believe he means that he is taking the OST tracks and syncing them up with video from a copy of the movie, not that he is extracting audio from a copy of the movie.