The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

I don't like the casting. The new doctor is some young punk. The doctor should be played by an older wiser looking person. At least he copies Tom Bakers acting style.

The episode was not anything that great, but then, wasn't bad, so the series has a chance.

Well - I have to completely disagree about the Doctor - but then we all have our own opinions....but I am still reticent about Billie Piper as Rose.....as for Ecclestone beinga "young punk", he is 41, making him the same age as Colin Baker was when he stepped in the Tardis - 3 of the Doctors have been younger (Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Paul McGann) - hardly makes him a young punk!

Heh, well he looks 25.

Do you remember the first doctor who? in black and white? That was the perfect aged look I think. But Tom Baker was still the best, he gave him so much character.

I'm always willing to have my mind changed, but I agree with your choice of Tom Baker as being the best! I don't think Ecclestone will reach those dizzy heights, and his rumoured replacement (David Tennant) I think will be a disaster on legs - but you never know........William Hartnell was by far the oldest Doctor - 55 when he first entered the Tardis - closely followed by Jon Pertwee at 51.....

Surely William Harnell had to have been older than 55 when the show debued? That's surprising.

One thing that I'll always remember from his era was that he would constantly flub his lines and due to time/money constraints no more takes were done and they ended up in the finished product. :wave: But he did set the standard for the character.

John- whose favorite is probably Tom Baker too, but enjoys all who played the role.

John2- still immensly frustrated at the lack of a US TV deal for the new series. banghead

Hartnell was indeed only in his 50s. He always looked older, even in his 20s he looked like someone in his 40s! Also by the time he did Dr Who he had started suffering from alzheimers (or something similarly debilitating) which caused him to fluff his lines occasionally. It eventually caused him to retire from the series (and from acting in general).

I still haven't seen the new series, but I'm hoping a friend will lend me his DVD soon!

I remember the Who show when the Dalek's shot water vapor.

I recall it being quite laughable.

Justin - Who also remembers green wormy things on a space station...

I don't like the casting. The new doctor is some young punk. The doctor should be played by an older wiser looking person. At least he copies Tom Bakers acting style.

The episode was not anything that great, but then, wasn't bad, so the series has a chance.

well not to worry since he's quit, they will have to cast a new one, because this present one feared type casting.

I recall it being quite laughable.

Justin - Who also remembers green wormy things on a space station...

That story was "The Ark In Space". Watch it again. Aside from the crappy effects it's an excellent story. In fact it's very similar to the plot of Alien, but was shown 4 years earlier!

Alien's story is fairly basic. Monster gets on board and starts to kill people. Alien is good in the way it is executed. Dr. Who's execution has always been somewhat....dodgy IMO.

Justin - Who also remembers one with rocks that killed people...

It was more the fact that the Alien laid it's eggs inside the sleeping humans that made me think of Alien. I still think you should watch that episode again. Sure, the effects are really cheap, but the sets are impressive for the budget, and the acting and direction are top notch on that story. Very suspenseful. AWFUL effects though. The ending is laughable. Shame really.

Well, I've finally seen the new show! Both episodes no less! Eccy rocks as the new Doctor. I also adore Rose as the assistant/companion. They really seem to have some chemistry. The first episode blew me away. I loved all the exterior location work. Episode 2 was also excellent, although amazing visuals aside I think I prefered the feel of the first one. Here's a bug in episode 1: When Eccy first enters Rose's home he looks in the mirror and comments on his enormous ears, as if he's only just regenerated and is seeing them for the first time. Later in the episode however we are led to believe that Eccy's Doctor has already traveled to Kennedy's assassination, the Titanic, and numerous other places. Hmmm. Oh well, I love the show. I'm in no way disappointed. The opening theme is easily the best version since 1979! I can't wait to see the next one. It looks more horror-based, which is my favourite kind! Seasons 12 to 14 were my favourite seasons of the original show, and they were the most horror-inspired, borrowing plots from Sherlock Holmes, The Thing, Jeckyl and Hide, Frankenstein, The Mummy, etc etc. Great stuff.

Here's a bug in episode 1: When Eccy first enters Rose's home he looks in the mirror and comments on his enormous ears, as if he's only just regenerated and is seeing them for the first time. Later in the episode however we are led to believe that Eccy's Doctor has already traveled to Kennedy's assassination, the Titanic, and numerous other places. Hmmm. Oh well,

Actually, though these events take place in the past, they are most likely to be missions The Doctor has after the pilot, therefore it makes sense.

You are not thinking fourth dimensionally.

He does have a time machine, you know..... :)

You are not thinking fourth dimensionally.

Yeah I have a real problem with that...

Seriously though, good point. I hadn't though of that. :oops:

Yeah - hadn't occurred to me either.....D'oh!!!

QUESTION CONTAINING POSSIBLE SPOILER FOR ANYONE WHO HAS NOT YET SEEN THE FIRST TWO EPISODES BUT WANTS TO!!!!!!!!!!! Highlight and read....

What's with this revelation that Gallifrey has been destroyed in a war? What war?!??!?? I hope this is something that is mentioned and cleared up later on.....it does away with quite a sizeable chunk of Who lore....the last all-out war that the Timelords had, as far as the TV series was concerned, was the reference to the war with the Vampire Bats mentioned in "State of Decay"....so I wonder wher this story arc, if there is one, is going?? Daleks? Cybermen? The set fell down? Hmmmmm....

Greg :-)

The first Dalek story is ep. 6, apporpriately titled "Dalek". I think it's supposed to be an Alien-style plot with a single Dalek. Then they are supposed to play a major role, and according to rumors I saw be totally redesigned, in the 2-part season finale. I thought that Aliens of London was going to be the Autons until they showed up in the premire. I don't know what villan/s will be in that one.

I heart Doctor Who. I've been watching the repeats practically every night for one a half years. The storyline they just had on ("The Invasion of Tim"?) was pretty high quality. :)

CYPHER

I have to say again I really don't like this new doctor, he's like seeing kermit the frog playing yoda.

Yoda can only be played by Miss Piggy!!!!

I really like the new Doctor. His accent took about 20 minutes to get used to. I'm from Sheffield myself, so we have pretty much the same accent, but it's strange to me hearing the Doctor using my accent! I really like what he's doing with the part though. I wish he'd reconsider. It would be great if he could stay with the part for a few years. It won't type-cast him any more than he already has been, and it would give the new series a firm foundation to build upon. Besides, it's a regular job! The money must be sweet.

Greg, your question about Gallifrey is a reference (I'm pretty sure) to developments that took place in BBC Books' 8th Doctor series.

The trouble with that is thet the writer of the new show has said publicly that he doesn't count the books as "Canon", nor the audio-only adventures......so it's got to be connected with the series somehow......question is, How??

Greg - looking forward to finding out....

Greg, your question about Gallifrey is a reference (I'm pretty sure) to developments that took place in BBC Books' 8th Doctor series.

The trouble with that is thet the writer of the new show has said publicly that he doesn't count the books as "Canon", nor the audio-only adventures......so it's got to be connected with the series somehow......question is, How??

Greg - looking forward to finding out....

Heh, I guess he's only taking the things he likes, then. ;)

I've read that the last episode (Ep. 3) mentioned a "Time War", which would again merge very nicely with what happened in the book series. It could end up going a completely different direction though.

Did anyone see last night's episode by Mark Gatiss? My "source" hasn't got me a copy yet but from the previews it looked like it was going to be a scary one. My favourite kind! I'll take the horror-based stories over the more sci-fi ones any day. After all, those are the ones the kiddies will remember. If I'd been a 5 year old watching "Rose" I'd certainly have been a bit wary of the wheelie-bins outside our house having seen Rose's boyfriend get swallowed up by one. After watching Seeds of Doom back in 1975 I stayed away from bushes and hedges for months!!!!

Did anyone see last night's episode by Mark Gatiss? My "source" hasn't got me a copy yet but from the previews it looked like it was going to be a scary one. My favourite kind! I'll take the horror-based stories over the more sci-fi ones any day. After all, those are the ones the kiddies will remember. If I'd been a 5 year old watching "Rose" I'd certainly have been a bit wary of the wheelie-bins outside our house having seen Rose's boyfriend get swallowed up by one. After watching Seeds of Doom back in 1975 I stayed away from bushes and hedges for months!!!!

Yes - a much more Horror-orientated episode.......still has some forays into the obvious wih the writing, but the show is getting better and better......

David Tennant has indeed been confirmed as the 10th Doctor.......read the story here.....

....not entirely sure what I think about this....it's starting to feel like a real "Jobs for the Boys" type show......if you don't know Russell T Davies personally, you've got no chance.....

• 2 weeks later...

Well - the first 2-parter of the new series has now aired.....the musical "sting" at the cliffhanger sent shivers down my spine......the "Slitheen", whilst perhaps not terrifying, are certainly distinctive additions to the tribe of monsters that hae graced our screen over the years......and it seems they are set up for a return at some point......also we are starting to see more of the emotional side of the Doctor, which the writers have managed to do without making it sound dappy and stupid.....

Each episode is ending with a teaser for the following episode. I sat bolt upright at the end of the most recent episode when I heard that ear-splitting, nerve-jangling, fear-inducing cry "EX-TER-MINAAAAAAATE" as the end credits roled.....I shall be glued to the Telly-V once more on Saturday night - this series is getting better and better......

• 1 month later...

Haven't seen tonight's yet...but nice to see this thread ressurrected!

I have enjoyed this series immensely - it has had the odd low point but I am looking forward to the closing two-parter....

As for next season - well, we will see....I'm not convined about the casting of David Tennant as the new Doctor - but then I seem to remember writing a little while ago that I was not convinced about Ecclestone either....he won me over quickly!! Billie Piper also grew on me eventually - though it is public knowledge that she will play a much smaller role next season....

Also - the new season has spurred me on to discover some of the Audio Adventures....I already have some of the BBC ones, but have found some of the Big Finish productions available in certain places....some of which are very impressive.....

Also there are some free-for-download amateur productions around - the ones over at Floor Ten Productions are well worth a listen...if you're into audio stuff....

Greg :mrgreen:

Also there are some free-for-download amateur productions around - the ones over at Floor Ten Productions are well worth a listen...if you're into audio stuff....

Greg  :mrgreen:

I don't know if you've ever found the Fineline amateur Dr Who stories on your travels around the internet. They are free to download somewhere. I wrote the main theme used on those episodes, plus I composed the score for a few of them.

I'm really enjoying the TV series. I'm still waiting for my contact to furnish me with the last two episodes (Doctor Dances and Boom Town) but I hope to have them soon. I need Doctor Dances! At the moment I've been left hanging with a room full of freaky gas-mask people shouting "Mummy"! I'm so excited to see the closing episodes. The Dalek in episode 6 was kick-ass. An army of those? Woooooo!

I'm SO disappointed Eccy's leaving the show. He totally makes it. Tennent may be terrific. He has a lot to live up to. Eccy has become my second favourite actor to play the role after just 9 episodes! And this is a show I've been watching since Jon Pertwee was in "control" of the Tardis...

I don't know if you've ever found the Fineline amateur Dr Who stories on your travels around the internet. They are free to download somewhere. I wrote the main theme used on those episodes, plus I composed the score for a few of them.

I'm SO disappointed Eccy's leaving the show. He totally makes it. Tennent may be terrific. He has a lot to live up to. Eccy has become my second favourite actor to play the role after just 9 episodes! And this is a show I've been watching since Jon Pertwee was in "control" of the Tardis...

Showing your age!!! :mrgreen:

Have not come across Fineline....will go and hunt them out....thanks for the tip!

PS - The Doctor Dances - great conclusion if a little on the hokey side.....but watch the first part again a couple of times - the clues are there! Still great Dr Who though.....

I think the better one I wrote the score for is called "Ultimate Soldier". Also I remember the acting wasn't quite as hokey in that one! From what I hear the Fineline series has become quite popular of late. They're still using my theme too!

Ok I've finally seen the last two episodes and they are my least favourite so far. I have to confess I just don't like Captain Jack. I think the show has always worked best when the Doctor has one female companion. Jon Pertwee and Jo, Tom Baker and Sarah (my favourite duo). The only exception was when Sarah was joined by the bumbling Harry, who I thought was excellent. Having two such obvious male "heroes" in the Tardis just seems very cheesy and silly. I didn't like the stupid ending to The Doctor Dances. What was that all about anyway? Fighting over Rose?

As for Boomtown, it was another episode that just didn't feel like Dr Who to me. Father's Day was so well done that I didn't mind that it didn't feel very "Who", but Boom Town just got on my nerves. Enough with all the characterization-driven episodes already! Let's have some adventure stories! My biggest complaint about Boom Town (apart from that cringeworthy "Into time and space" speech the Doctor, Jack, and Rose make at the beginning - yuck!) was that in season 1 so far the Tardis has never visited an alien world. Fine, I was patiently waiting for the Doc to take Rose to her first alien world. Would have made a great story. Now in Boomtown Rose starts telling Mickey about all these alien worlds she's been to!!! So these alien-world visits have happened and we missed them? I'd far rather have seen that adventure than Boomtown to be honest. Dr Who always used to be about going on a new adventure every week (or every 4 weeks at any rate...) but now it seems to be all about who fancies Rose, and how the Doctor can live with his conscience. I really hope this isn't the direction the show takes from now on.

Yes - I see what you mean....but when you talk about wanting the TARDIS to visit loads of alien worlds. don't forget that Jon Pertwee spent most of his time here on this very planet! Not to mention the fact that it is almost the ony planet that ther Daleks are interested in.....

I'm not that keen on Captaion Jack either....

...though as for the female companions - I would have to disagree (though hands up who DIDN'T fantasise about Nyssa????) - I thought Adric was the tops....he empodies the wishes of every single child fan there was....

I didn't say the Tardis should visit loads of alien worlds, I just meant that it would have been nice to actually see Rose's first trip to an alien world. I quite liked that all the season 1 stories were set on or above the earth. I just think it's a bit of a rip-off to suddenly have Rose telling stories of fantastic planets she's been to! I'm excited to see the Daleks again, but I'm not at all happy with having to sit through a Big Brother spoof to get to them! I was really enjoying this series up until the silly ending of Doctor Dances. Since then it's all been a bit pants IMO.

Yeah - see what you mean - this hadn't really occurred to me....

Well - let's just hope that the closing 2-parter raises the game a little....

......Greg - who loves the Dalek Stories.....and who wonders if they have brought Terry Molloy out of retirement? "Have pityyyyyy....."...though not as good as Michael Wisher...

Michael Wisher! ;)

I'm not a big Terry Molloy Davros fan. Davros to me will always be the refined megalomanical Wisher performance from Genesis. DVD release please??? I also think Davros should have only appeared in that one story, or at least they should have waited until another 4 or 5 Dalek stories to resurrect him. It seems silly that the Daleks always seem to need Davros for their schemes, when they did quite well for 12 years before Genesis! I hope the Genesis DVD comes out sometime soon! Actually what I really hope is that the BBC start releasing season box-sets of Dr Who. I'd pay big money to get seasons 12 to 14 on DVD! In my opinion that was the absolute peak of the show! I'm still holding out hope for the new series though, even with the last turn of events I think it's still better than 80s Dr Who.

Yes - Wisher was the template and was a hard act to follow, but I think you underrate Molloy (hear him on the Big Finish production of "Davros" - the first 3 minutes are just him doing a monologue - it is terrifying!!)...though the character of Davros was indeed far too overused after "Genesis", which I also wish they would bring out on DVD! I don't actually possess any Who DVD's (though I like your series by series idea), but I would buy Genesis....a commentary by Tom Baker, possibly?? The 80's Doctor Who was what I grew up with.....it had it's moments!! State of Decay? Kinda? Black Orchid? Vengeance on Varos? Remembrance of the Daleks? The Curse of Fenric? Plus the obvious low points (Time-Flight :) ).

I agree with most of your list of '80s Who that was passable, although Remembrance of the Daleks, and Curse of Fenric? Not those two! I would swap those for Caves of Androzani, The Visitation, and The Awakening. I HATE McCoy! I just want to punch him in the face every time he appears onscreen! And I'm not by nature a violent man... I've never heard the Big Finish audios. I hear they're excellent.

Caves of Adrozani was good - a fitting end for my second-favourite Doctor! (Tom Baker - always the tops....)

Will have to remind myself of the others you mention - I have most of them recorded off Cable.....

......but I cant believe you don't like Curese of Fenric???? Out of ALL of the 80's stuff, suely that was the one that came closest to your "Golden Period" of the mid-70's????? OK - so it had Nicholas Parsons in it....but one could forgive that.....just....as for Remembrance of the Daleks - after the miserable stories that had been cooked up for them over the previous years (Revelation was a noble failure, Resurrection - IMHO - was just a failure), finally - what we had wanted to see...the Doctor, versus the Daleks and Davros, in London....cool...solid plot that brought together the strands from the previous Dalek outings.....and great fun!! Plus Mr Bronson from Grange Hill got a good twatting too.......only real let down for me really through that whole period was Ace - I remember everyone raved about her at the time ("Doctor Who Assistant has muscles and is not afraid to use them!!" - had they forgotten Leela?? Who could forget Leela.....hmmmmm... ;) )

Ain't seen it yet....redecorating house for the selers to come in, no time....have it on video, lookin forward to it!!

Bloody-hell!!!!

Just about everything happened in this episode that Dr Who fans have been waiting for for soooo many years.....and the Doctor's speech to the Daleks was A-1 spot-on....yet again, I sat bolt upright and almost cheered.....and who was that at the end of the teaser?!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!?!??????!!?!!!!!!???

Greg - who thinks the whole "Bad Wolf" thing is a bit hokey and will end up as an unanswered plot-thread, but who has also booked thee telly for 7pm next Saturday night.....

Ok, now I'm getting hopeful that the show will recover from the recent setbacks. I've heard from my friend in England that Bad Wolf was excellent. I will probably get my own copy to watch in a week or so. Grrr.