The Official Jerry Goldsmith Thread

Faleel

I'm the opposite. I'm meh on Total Recall, while First Blood is gold. I haven't heard Second or Third Blood yet.

Action score, gotta go with Temple of Doom or Raiders above those, sorry.

Rambo: First Blood part II

Rome salutes you, and I embrace you as a brother.

2:46 below, is among my favourite Jerry 'nuggets'.

It scores when Rambo arrives back at the operations centre and he's 'rather' upset, shall we say.

Jerry really gets the - "Oh my god, Rambo is back and he's not a happy bunny" across in the music.

It gives me chills!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_wjse4JQwE

rambo-first-blood-part-ii-07.jpg

Murdock: Rambo, I swear to God, I didn't know it was supposed to happen like this. It was just supposed to be another assignment!

Rambo: Mission... accomplished.

[thrusts knife into table]

Rambo: You know there's more men out there and you know where they are. Find 'em. Or I'll find you.

This is another one of my favorite cues from Rambo: First Blood part II that's as heavy-laden with notes as any action cues from Total Recall:

2:46 below, is among my favourite Jerry 'nuggets'.

The whole finale of Rambo II rivals Total Recall. Here's two more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlosM0RFuiM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-S0txxy0t0

Absolutely love the buildup on the second one. Actually, the two buildups - the one at the beginning and the second one starting at about 1:00. Some great gear shifts in these cues. The theme seems to lend itself well to them.

And here's the third score I mentioned:

Watch out for the Braveheart theme in counterpoint at 2:43.

Watch out for the Braveheart theme in counterpoint at 2:43.

Haha, excellent :P

Another gem nugget for me from Rambo II, is 1:50 to1:52 'spiralling out of control' musically.

1:50 to 3:02 could transform navigating a supermarket carpark in your vehicle, into an exciting 'mission'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JWGAyRjb3M

Interview with Alexander Courage about Jerry Goldsmith:

Interesting tidbit: Courage first worked with Goldsmith on "Morituri".

Total Recall has several.

So does MoS

There's a difference, Total Recall is a far superior score that left a huge impression on me after seeing the film. I couldn't remember a single thing about MOS's music after seeing the movie.

I've been listening to Zimmer's MoS again actually. The Krypton theme is stunning. Zimmer knows as well as Williams how to drop in within a melody a precise single note and have it stand out from the rest by suddenly magnifying the harmonies all around it into a swell of sweet pay-off which sends shivers down the shoulders and arms. I didn't immediately and consciously appreciate such nuance at first, during the movie, but listening to the score back a few times reveals satisfying depths. The score isn't perfect by a long shot, but there are plenty of gems and trinkets buried in there to make it a worthy listen by the end.

Now, tell me: what is this "Deluxe Edition" album like, both completeness-wise and sound-wise?

Karol

On complete-ness:

In terms of original score, everything is there except the film version of "The Dream".

In terms of source music, everything is missing except the second ReKall infomercial source cue.

Now, tell me: what is this "Deluxe Edition" album like, both completeness-wise and sound-wise?

Karol

On complete-ness:

In terms of original score, everything is there except the film version of "The Dream".

In terms of source music, everything is missing except the second ReKall infomercial source cue.

Forgot to mention: the additional music composed by Bruno Louchouarn for the Last Resort also remains unreleased: "Mutant Dancing", "Rubble City", "Running Out Of Air"

• 2 weeks later...

Coming this Tuesday from Intrada:

1004909_10151608138417169_720463201_n.jp

Original Dot Motion Picture Score Album (from UMG multi-track masters)

1. Main Title* 2:32

2. You Gotta Let Me Go 2:41

3. The Decoders 2:35

4. Checkmate 2:13

5. Carol’s Apartment 2:57

6. Comes The Night (Goldsmith–Shaper) 2:38

7. Night Scene* 1:11

8. The Trip 2:27

9. Sputnik Code (Tristram Cary) 1:51

10. First Day At Work* 3:21

Total Album Time: 24:52

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (mono)

11. The Red Insect* 2:30

12. Main Title* 3:56

13. First Day At Work* 3:14

14. The Decoders 2:49

15. Night Scene* 1:01

16. Juke Box Jury Number 0:12

17. A Matter For Thought* 0:35

18. A Visit To Carol* 0:58

19. Under Observation (Checkmate #2) 0:35

20. The Pursuit* (Checkmate #3) 1:04

21. Checkmate* (Checkmate #1) 0:56

22. In A Bad Way* 0:55

23. The Interior Decorator* 0:28

24. Caught In The Act 0:32

25. No Answer (Carol’s Apartment #2) 1:07

26. A New Assignment 0:54

27. Jodrell Bank 1:09

28. The Wrong Address (Carol’s Apartment #1) 1:43

29. Comes The Night (Carol’s Theme) (Goldsmith–Shaper) 2:02

30. The Trip 1:55

31. The Right Address* 0:49

32. End Title* 3:40

Total Soundtrack Time: 34:01

Unused Tristram Cary Material

33. Sputnik Code Revision – Code With Morse 1:37

34. Sputnik Code Revision – Code Without Morse 0:11

35. Sputnik Code Revision – Proper Speed (Full Mix) 3:56

36. Loop 1 – Clicks And Scrapes 0:56

37. Loop 2 – Electronic Codes 0:55

38. Loop 3 – Rattle And Low Notes 0:48

39. Sputnik Code – Very Wild Mix 2:10

40. Sputnik Code – Mix With Code 1:48

41. Final Code Mix – With 10-Second Pulse Removed 1:09

42. Code 1 1:08

43. Code 3 1:04

44. Assorted Sounds For Titles 2:20

Total Tristram Cary Material: 18:23

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Kritzerland will be releasing the original tracks for Rio Conchos next week, complete and all in stereo except for 3 cues

Rio Conchos, which was released in monophonic sound with only a handful of the usable stereo cues included as a bonus, and let's just say that Mike Matessino went back to the original elements and, thanks to today's technology, did a stereo restoration that sounded absolutely amazing, with only three cues in mono and those cues rendered so seamlessly that you won't even know they're there I'd say that was cause for dancing of a jig and a pretty major one at that. If you have the FSM version, you don't have it. After hearing the master yesterday I was absolutely blown away by what Mr. Matessino delivered. It's a classic Goldsmith score finally sounding as it should. Definitive and the only one you need.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=1&threadID=105097&archive=0

Damn, wish I held out for the original recording.

The Intrada blurb and all discussion about the release clearly stated it was the 80's re-recording. Why else did you think it contained "The Artist Who Did Not Want To Paint"?

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8195/.f

Planet of the Apes performance din't have the energy and gusto like the 2001 LSO performance at the Royal Albert Hall...

What was the track-listing for that concert? Also, does anyone have a track-listing for the 1999 JG Barbican concert?

Planet of the Apes performance din't have the energy and gusto like the 2001 LSO performance at the Royal Albert Hall...

What was the track-listing for that concert? Also, does anyone have a track-listing for the 1999 JG Barbican concert?

You can find the running order for both concerts by clicking on this link with your mouse, reading it with your eyes and processing said information through the agency of your brain:

http://www.jerrygoldsmithonline.com/spotlight_concerts.htm

>> You can find the running order for both concerts by clicking on this link with your mouse, reading it with your eyes and processing said information through the agency of your brain: <<

I once told something very similar to my lazy-ass students...one of them eMailed the Department Head to complain about my rude behaviour. ;)

So I'll have the rerec, the remastered rerec and finally the remastered original as well...

Yup. This is completist territory for sure . . . but for those of us who are completists, it's welcome news. Re-recordings are nice 'n' all, but original tracks are always preferred.

Damn, wish I held out for the original recording.

The Intrada blurb and all discussion about the release clearly stated it was the 80's re-recording. Why else did you think it contained "The Artist Who Did Not Want To Paint"?

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8195/.f

I knew it was a rerecording, but I figured since they remastered it the original was lost or something.

You can find the running order for both concerts by clicking on this link with your mouse, reading it with your eyes and processing said information through the agency of your brain:

http://www.jerrygoldsmithonline.com/spotlight_concerts.htm

You're a feisty little one, but you'll soon learn some respect.

• 1 year later...

Now available from La-La Land:

Take-A-Hard-Ride-hi-res_zpsgddzry6p.jpg

GOLDSMITH WESTERN ROUND-UP SALE!

We are celebrating the release of TAKE A HARD RIDE with a sensational price on these classic Goldsmith western scores: STAGECOACH, BANDOLERO!, RIO LOBO and BAD GIRLS are only $9.98 each! 

Sale price begins 1/26 at 12noon (PST) and is good thru 2/8.

TAKE A HARD RIDE: LIMITED EDITION LLLCD 1367
Music by Jerry Goldsmith
Limited Edition of 2000 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $19.98

STARTS SHIPPING JAN 26th

ORDER at www.lalalandrecords.com on JAN 26 starting at 12noon (PST)

La-La Land Records, 20th Century Fox and Fox Music present the remastered original motion picture score to the 1975 Twentieth Century Fox feature western TAKE A HARD RIDE, starring Jim Brown, Lee Van Cleef and Fred Willamson, and directed by Anthony M. Dawson (aka Antonio Margheriti). Long out of print, this dynamic western score from legendary composer Jerry Goldsmith (RIO LOBO, PATTON, THE OMEN, BASIC INSTINCT) returns to CD sounding better than ever, with a track listing featuring the original cue titles. Produced by Nick Redman, newly mixed by Mike Matessino and mastered by Daniel Hersch from original vault elements, this special release is limited to 2000 units and features all new, exclusive liner notes by writer Julie Kirgo, as well as exciting new art design by Jim Titus. An exhilarating mix of iconic orchestral western motifs and modernist electronica, this is classic Goldsmith that is a must-have for all film music enthusiasts.

TRACK LISTING:

1. After You (1:47)
2. Main Title (2:17)
3. My Word (1:39)
4. Hey Boy (1:15)
5. Run For Cover (2:10)
6. Move Over (2:10)
7. Friendly Enemies (2:10)
8. Two Gentlemen (2:37)
9. Hunters Harmonica (1:07)
10. A Sad Story (1:30)
11. Over The Bridge (2:48)
12. Fallen Bridge (1:44)
13. Cliff Dwelling Battle (5:57)
14. We Made It (1:09)
15. Nowhere To Go (1:40)
16. A Good Walk (1:21)
17. Shaky Sheriff (2:16)
18. Down The Hatch (1:06)
19. A Second Chance (2:08)
20. The Work Camp (2:17)
21. Over The Hill (2:26)
22. End Credits (1:54)

Total Running Time: 45:27

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Site/TakeAHardRide.html

• 2 years later...

It's one thing to have learned just a few weeks ago that Goldsmith conducted a concert in Budapest in my lifetime, it's another thing entirely to accidentally find the whole damn thing (or probably most of it) on Youtube!

If you can fiddle the mono left to the middle somehow, it's actually pretty good quality for an amateur concert recording.