Isn't that a little late for a trailer debut? Dreamworks and Fox should've released the trailer much earlier (as in 2-3 months ago) instead of two months prior to release...

Well it is a relatively high profile historical drama with Steven Spielberg directing. I think it would have been wise to advertise this a bit sooner but I guess they are confident about 2 months is enough. This film might not have such an enormous internet following or visibility as some huge blockbuster superhero films.

With all the turmoil about getting the whole thing off the ground it may be Hollywood's subtle warning to Sir Steven to deliver the goods again. And this certainly will not happen with another Hallmark movie about american history.

Will it be like these scenes from Saving Private Ryan were that guy read a letter with dull music in the background as if it was interesting or moving? Because the tracklist makes the film feel like that already.

On the subject of the music. I have to say that a big deal of Americana either rubs me the wrong way or puts me to sleep.

Will it be like these scenes from Saving Private Ryan were that guy read a letter with dull music in the background as if it was interesting or moving?

Yeah, maybe we'll see Lincoln's landing on Omaha Beach!

Even better, Saving President Lincoln.

Will it be like these scenes from Saving Private Ryan were that guy read a letter with dull music in the background as if it was interesting or moving?

Yeah, maybe we'll see Lincoln's landing on Omaha Beach!

On the subject of the music. I have to say that a big deal of Americana either rubs me the wrong way or puts me to sleep.

I would say that a big deal of Americana either rubs me the wrong way or is very pedestrian. ;)

Young whippersnappers! The insolence! Oh I'll punch and kick you the right way! Behind the JWFan corner 8 pm tonight! Be there or be a wrongly rubbed pedestrian! :stick:

Hi gang

Having a trailer just a month or two before release of the film gives younger folks a flavour of 'the old days' of pre-release 'hype' :) When I think about what the movie might look like, I wonder if its interior scenes might have something about them of Gordon Willis' lighting style from The Godfather (given how much esteem Steven Spielberg holds for that movie).

JC

Will it be like these scenes from Saving Private Ryan were that guy read a letter with dull music in the background as if it was interesting or moving? Because the tracklist makes the film feel like that already.

I wonder how much this film will feel like the typical Americana. Of course it's Spielberg and Williams, but Spiel's comments on it being less overtly visual and more of a procedural, as well as the fact that Tony Kushner's scripting, has me thinking/hoping that they may be going a different route, at least for the majority of it.

Then again, a docudrama about Congress might be even less interesting than a Hallmark weepy about Lincoln ;)

Well since t hat letter was written by Lincoln, we could have almost that scene exactly! ;)

indy4 - who can't wati for this movie and score

I am under the impression that this film might be boring.

Films about American presidents are never boring.

Going to watch The Conspirator now :)

I on the other hand am very excited for this score and film. And if the main theme is anything like the Air and Simple Gifts in style then I am a truly happy man. :)

When it comes to Spielberg, I can agree with you. Private Ryan is an obvious example. There was a movie that at its most interesting gave us characters committing atrocities on either side of the war and displaying the true horror of the entire situation. Guys just wanting to go home, fighting, bonding, reminiscing and then killing or being killed. It was like a brilliant window to this time in history and what it could have been like. We were briefly in that war, for a couple hours. But this was after all the Americana-y cheese in the stateside scenes (old man, letter scene...is this the same movie??). Williams' music didn't exactly help. Maybe that stuff should have been reassessed or left on the cutting room floor? Cheese can be okay, but not with more serious subject matter. I love the guy, but sometimes I don't know what the **** he's thinking.

But what do I know.

You'd have gotten that version if Kubrick had directed instead and it would have been brilliant, naturally.

But I'm of the persuasion that also, you know, appreciates nobility and sacrifice, and the paying of one's respects to the loss of life and the legacy of the veterans staggering achievements. Spielberg's take is still a valid and justifiable exercise, even if it does lay it on a little thick for the more active cynics in the audience. My own problems with it lie more with the choppy, rambling middle section.

You'd have gotten that version if Kubrick had directed instead and it would have been brilliant, naturally.

Kubrick had a very economic manner of laying down stories so he would have probably skipped over such scenes.

Spielberg's take is still a valid and justifiable exercise, even if it does lay it on a little thick for the more active cynics in the audience. My own problems with it lie more with the choppy, rambling middle section.

That's were the film looses what little subtlety it had and begins bluntly having the cast S.P.E.L.L. out the central message of the film.

International release dates:

https://www.facebook...&type=1

Our posters in the UK are going to have to wait a few months to see it on the big screen.

What's weird is they correctly put 2012 in for Puerto Rico's release date, but the US's says 2013! And instead of "NOV 09", it says "NOV - 09"

Where is the quality control here?

Right Finland February 1st 2013. I guess they are not in a hurry to release it internationally.

War Horse is worth seeing just because the score is so good and you get to see the visuals and story that inspired it. Overall its not a BAD movie its just nothing special. Plus it's cool to see WWI stuff