The JWFan Office Pool 2012: When will HOOK sell out?

Jay

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5,000 copies, a generous and cheap to obtain OST; I'm going to go with...

June 2nd, Noon

Dammit! I wanted to have the latest date!

Okay, what did those guys at La-La Land Records say on Movie Magic Special (great interview by the way)? Only one release with an initial run of 5,000 copies ever sold out?

Now I am starting to think it'll take at least 2 months for Hook to sell out, if not longer!

Yeah, it was Star Trek V, and apparently it took about four months (it helped that a bunch of other retailers bought a lot at the last minute).

Ya know, I kinda hope it doesn't sell out for a while. This music deserves to be available as long as it can.

Yes, that's it exactly!

There are really only so many soundtrack buffs out there. It might take only 1 day to sell the first 2,000 copies, a week to sell 3,000 copies, but I am thinking it will take many, many months to sell all 5,000 copies. Because the demand is obviously there... but it's very limited.

You can still check, at any given point in time, how many copies are still left, right?

You just pretend to order a very great number of copies and see what it says back, right?

Like they said, it's very difficult to have a realistic perception about these things. You wouldn't expect some titles to go as fast as they did and you wouldn't expect to sit still on copies of major oft-requested titles like Batman or ID4.

Batman just didn't have as much pivotal music missing on the original soundtrack. Most of the best stuff was already there. I also still don't think a score like ID4 was really that desired. Who knows, maybe Hook will stick around for a while.

Let's just hope that all who want it are able to get it. :)

Which recent Lala Land soundtracks had a run of 5,000 copies, though? Batman? ID4?

They said with only one exception (ST5), no release which had a run of 5,000 copies ever sold out... so I think we can be pretty sure, that Hook will last for a while. And who knows? Maybe Hook will never sell out, like Bloodboal says.

Which recent Lala Land soundtracks had a run of 5,000 copies, though? Batman? ID4?

http://en.wikipedia....La_Land_Records

Oh yeah, thanks!

Seems like there aren't too many scores released with a print run of 5,000 copies! Only some Jerry Goldsmith scores and Hook!

You can still check, at any given point in time, how many copies are still left, right?

You just pretend to order a very great number of copies and see what it says back, right?

A) You are assuming that LLR's inventory does not have a safety stock feature, by which it would retain a set amount or fixed percentage of remaining inventory that is not for sale.

B) You are disregarding all units that LLR has sold to third parties, e.g. Intrada, SAE, MovieMusic, BSX, etc.

Putting a very large number in my shopping cart doesn't give me a warm fuzzy.

Only some Jerry Goldsmith scores

:angry:

:lol: Dude, chill out, I meant no disrespect...

A) You are assuming that LLR's inventory does not have a safety stock feature, by which it would retain a set amount or fixed percentage of remaining inventory that is not for sale.

B) You are disregarding all units that LLR has sold to third parties, e.g. Intrada, SAE, MovieMusic, BSX, etc.

Hmmmm, so you're saying, no? You can't check how many copies are still left that way?

Still, I'll be damned if all 5,000 copies of "Hook" sell out within 2 weeks!

By putting a large number of items in your cart at a single vendor, all you are checking is...how large of a number you can put into your cart at a single vendor.

Whatever conclusion you draw from this very limited subset of information is up to you.

By putting a large number of items in your cart at a single vendor, all you are checking is...how large of a number you can put into your cart at a single vendor.

Whatever conclusion you draw from this very limited subset of information is up to you.

Well, it's not like I came up with idea myself.

Somebody else (was it Miss Padmé?) did it, and wrote about it here... I just wasn't sure whether this really worked.

There is no way to find out how many more units remain to be sold of a La-La Land release unless they tell us.

Thank you. Apparently I was continually saying nothing of the sort.

No you were, but people didn't seem to believe you :)

It also assumes that they have the entire pressing in stock, which has been said directly by (I think) Roger at Intrada is not the case. They didn't press all 10,000 units of Back to the Future at once.

So yes - there is no way to confidently know unless the label says so.

Anybody else want to enter the pool?

After it goes on sale, there can be no more entries!

If LLL sells out but other companies still have copies, does that count as the sellout?

Well technically they are out of LLL's hands so I guess it would be logical to assume it has sold out then. But that's a good question.

If LLL sells out but other companies still have copies, does that count as the sellout?

Yes. It's considered sold out when LLL officially posts that its old out. If 3rd party retailers still have copies lying around that is irrelevant.

Huh.

But I hope they put up a LOW ALERT notice before it does sell out...

My copy is safe and probably already on its way, but damn! I still care! :)

Of course they will put up a low stock alert notice before it sells out.

Go to their home page right now and you will see a whole bunch of low stock alerts!

Of course they will put up a low stock alert notice before it sells out.

Except in the case of HOOK, the low alert notice might be useless. I imagine the stock is going away so fast, by the time anybody notices the warning, it's already sold out.

Wouldn't suprise me at all.

You guys are overreacting.

Of all the 5000 unit CD's LLL did, Trek 5 sold out fastest and that took months, even though it's a Trek score and no bootleg ever existed.

Don't you think "Hook" will be more popular than "Trek 5"?

I am starting to think so anyway. Probably LLL's biggest seller to date. Still, my original prediction stands. It will be sold out not before April 12th!

Williams is the best-selling composer ever. Spielberg is the best-selling director ever. And there is over an hour of never-before-released music.

It will definitely sell out quicker than Trek 5 did.

Of all the 5000 unit CD's LLL did, Trek 5 sold out fastest and that took months, even though it's a Trek score and no bootleg ever existed.

Not true, I have one. It's an awful DVD rear channel rip with voices -- I still wait for Kirk to tell me he wants his pain, he needs his pain when I listen to LLR's album -- but it's a bootleg audio presentation that I downloaded, all the same.