The Official Intrada Thread

Trent B

Got I hope Jaws 2 and Jaws 1 are next!

And a Jaws 2 Bluray! :(

Yes, yes, and double yes.

Great looking presentation I gather from that track list. Can't wait to get this.

The latest Doug's Corner takes on the Judge Dredd error, the Jaws 3D leak, and the label's 30th anniversary

5/17/2015
Positive response to a slew of titles so far this year has created a rewarding platform from which we'll be soon celebrating 30 years of making music. There's a lot going on, too. Look forward soon to great premieres from that priceless "Golden Age" as well as goodies of a more recent vintage.
In the erratum department, our current release of Judge Dredd qualifies for correction. Upon making all the requisite clearances for rights to include the "trailer" cue, the recording we ended up with for insertion at the close of CD 1 turned out not to be the soundtrack version but that which Joel McNeely prepared for Varese Sarabande way back when. We've held back on selling further copies while correcting the mistake. I contacted VP Robert Townson at Varese and his empathy and graciousness was much appreciated. Bob and I have a nice relationship that goes back to our origins, with him guiding our sales into Canada and us sitting in my living room listening to music together and sharing all manner of dreams. We continue to write each other about our comings and goings, to wit, his latest being a whirlwind trip to Poland in just a matter of days for no less than four concerts, then a quick return here for yet another performance in June. I remain grateful to him in many ways.
In the bizarre department, one of our upcoming Universal/UMG titles has been announced - prematurely - by, quite literally, a thief. Upon our licensing and having manufactured the title, it appears someone on the "inside" gained access to our product before it was delivered to us and attempted to sell copies via eBay on his/her own. Skimming off the top, as they say. All parties involved are working now to handle the affair. Obviously this person is in need of disciplinary action, i.e., being fired from whatever position they hold... and keelhauled.
It all makes for a week that feels just plain weird. I'm okay if we don't have another one like it for awhile. In any case, pretend next week's announcement of Jaws 3-D comes as a total surprise to you. At least its companion release should be ... knock on wood.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6677

Remember when trailers had film music attached to them, and that got your blood pumping in anticipation. You wanted to go and watch that movie ASAP. Well trailers nowadays VERY rarely do that to me anymore. They all feature the same style of sound design (that low frequency rumble fading out comes to mind) and repetitive assembly line music I've heard a zillion times already.

The guys that made trailers back in the day understood exactly what these mini-movies needed.

This one for example:

Yeah, I know. Just watched this the other day. Teasers usually make really good impression. Prequels, this, Superman Returns...

In any case, my discs arrived today.

Karol

As someone who has only seen the first Jaws movie, and only ever heard the first 2 Jaws scores (and love them both),

Should I buy Jaws 3 and Jaws 4? Are they good scores? Which one is better?

I don't know much about 3-D but The Revenge is pretty good. When I say "good" I don't mean as good as Williams. But then, what is?

Karol

Should I buy Jaws 3 and Jaws 4? Are they good scores? Which one is better?

I listened to three, don't recall much except that the previous release was a re-recording and lacked gravitas IMO, and that there was a theme I liked in it.

Jaws 4 has better sound.

Just rewatched Jaws 3...I think I'll get this score. I enjoy it more than "Jaws: The Revenge"

I'm hoping Jaws 2 gets done next...along with "Jaws" next month for its 40th anniversary.

(I really would want a La La Land Elfman/Batman type set for Jaws 1 & 2...but that would be TOO awesome)

Roger posted a clue for the title being released along with Jaws 3-D on Tuesday

The other release is quite recent -- from 2013 in fact and composed by a guy who's been represented on Intrada many times. It was great to get this one out finally. I'd say it's overlooked -- but it's not as there have been continual requests for it. It's season has finally arrived!

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6678

It must be Christopher Young's The Killing Season.

Roger on FSM board (regarding Judge Dredd):

Just send a check for $25 and the old disc and we'll send a new one. Seriously, though, if you ordered from Intrada you will be sent a replacement automatically, so there is nothing to do. if you ordered from someone else, they will have replacements. Whether you need to request one or they'll send one automatically I can't say.

Karol

Roger on their Killing Season CD
On this other release, I just played the disc. It's the first time I've heard this score outside of the film. The composer has done a stunning job of assembling this album. He took a classical approach and assembled the music into several long movements. He also recorded some new things to add into the program. Now it will probably drive the folks who want everything C&C bananas, but if those folks can open their hearts and minds and allow themselves to get absorbed in this musical journey, they'll be richly rewarded! Just a great album. It really showcases the artistry over the function of the music.

Intrada's latest titles (now up for sale) are

Alan Parker - Jaws 3D (2CD)

Christopher Young - The Killing Season

And the latest titles going OUT OF PRINT (on June 1st) are:

Pino Donaggio - Crawlspace

Les Baxter - House of Usher

• 2 weeks later...
How did it get to be Thursday already?

Two releases next week, one is 2 of....just kidding. Got you going there for a second. One is a beautiful, almost heartbreaking romantic score from the early 90s. Partially released then, completely released now by one of the masters of romance. We dumped the songs this time in favor of adding all that unreleased score.

Attention all golden age fans, sorry for the neglect, but your day has come. Not just any golden age score, but a true Oscar-nominated classic from the mid-40s featuring recently discovered elements. Not quite complete, not state of the art sound, but a big restoration on a score that transcends its recording medium. Probably the most important score from this composer's Noir period. I think I've given too much away...I might as well name it. But I won't.

Roger

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6699

There's actually a third title...it's an extremely current sci fi adventure. It's actually not an Intrada release, but the studio decided that they'd distribute to just Amazon and us (although we will wholesale it to other retailers). Look for it as well on Tuesday.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=73025#p73025

Hmm... John Carter? ;)

Probably not.

Karol

It sounds like a "commercial album" release to me, sort of like with The Avengers etc.

6/5/2015

Two new Intrada CDs make their debut here this coming Tuesday, with yet another important release from Disney appearing primarily through our retail shop as well. Brilliant, exciting, even spectacular, this Disney gem's sure to be a 2015 scoring highlight. One of the Intrada releases brings a beautiful nineties score into new light with an expansion offering more than twice the amount of score than was previously available way back when. The other new Intrada release world premieres an incredibly important title from some seven decades ago, offering the first-ever release of the actual full-length film soundtrack which even includes several never-before-heard alternates. What a masterpiece of scoring this one is. By turns rich, powerful, frightening! It's a dramatic headliner to our new slate of classic soundtracks originating from that incomparable "Golden Age". And should the new pressings of Judge Dredd by any chance also come in stock next week, expect us to have our hands full. We'll have more details shortly on our 30th Anniversary celebration happening later this year, too. So no one here's getting much of a summer vacation this time around!

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6703

• 2 weeks later...

Coming on Monday evening:

Two titles from the 80s. One from the mid-80s from a year overflowing with incredible scores so it was easy to miss this one. It came out on LP, was reissued on a slightly expanded CD paired with another score, but this time it's fully expanded to over 70 minutes and includes some percussion overdubs that hadn't been included previously. It's one of my favorite scores of that year, yet a neglected work. Take a listen and you can't help but soar.
The second title is a premiere release from the late 80s from a composer who was carving himself out as an action composer at that same time with a couple of hit franchises. Interestingly the score may appear brief (25 minutes or so) and disjointed in the film, but that's because they chopped it up, moved it around and dropped a lot of music. Now restored to its full glory and including four pivotal songs (including one that is critical to the narrative), at long last this tale of a seemingly simple errand gone seriously wrong now comes to CD at long long last.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6718

• 2 weeks later...

Coming Monday evening:

One release from the mid 60s features an LP reissue that although it was on CD at one point, this is the first time it appears from the first generation stereo album masters -- similar to some previous releases we've done. Additionally, the studio provided the complete score in mono, which also appears here.

The second release comes from the early 2000s and features cool secret agent music. Originally there was only a song album with a couple of score cuts. Now we feature the entire score on this jam-packed CD.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6736

Agent Cody Banks by John Powell?

I actually like both of these titles quite a bit. Powell in total CHICKEN RUN-mode, TROUBLE mixes a hint of GREMLINS with Jerry's patented americana sound. Both should be ordered!

I actually like both of these titles quite a bit. Powell in total CHICKEN RUN-mode, TROUBLE mixes a hint of GREMLINS with Jerry's patented americana sound. Both should be ordered!

I was going to get the Goldsmith anyway (never heard it, so it's an auto buy), but now I'm interested in the Powell as well.