The BFG FILM Discussion

Jay

Steven Spielberg will do The BFG justice, Mark Rylance has said.

The Wolf Hall star will play the ‘big friendly giant’ in Steven’s big-screen adaptation of Roald Dahl’s 1982 novel.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/leisure/national/11809760.Mark_Rylance_and_Steven_Spielberg_to_do_The_BFG_justice/

The film is currently set to open July 1, 2016

This one I'm TOTALLY interested in. A great memory from my childhood (it was read aloud in class). Can't wait to see what Spielberg and Williams create for this.

Wary of the film for now...kinda depends on how the BFG himself ends up turning out. Hope they come up with a great design, and I assume they're going mo-cap which can obviously be hit-and-miss. The score should be a lot of fun either way.

Good casting. I remember the book well from reading it as a kid. I just reminded myself of the plot from wiki, and this could be a great film if Spielrock doesn't overly pad the story.

There was an animated version in 1989 which is on Amazon Video, and an audiobook, which I know I've heard. I'm watching the animated one now, and I hope Spielberg has too, as it's brilliantly done.

A exciting film for Steven Spielberg to direct and a wonderful scoring challenge for John Williams with different sounds and instruments to use possibly with big orchestral movements and fanfares in the vein of the vastly underrated score of Hook and the magic of ET!

But we have got to think about John Williams's health and schedule with Star Wars maybe with the LSO again which would be incredible! and Bridge of Spies for Steven Spielberg so Steven better not fill John's schedule up too much!

the vastly underrated score of Hook

Wat?

By the way, I'm pretty sure Williams is going to score every single one of Spielberg's movies until he retires or is physically unable to score any movie.

I think he's sticking with The BFG as his next project. He usually drops out of directing if the budget's not his size or if the script isn't to his liking.

• 3 weeks later...

So... filming will be over while williams will still be doing EPVII.

If spielberg wants to move quick like in Bridge of Stars... we may end up having another newman score... :/

That's a stupid thing to say. They obviously have the schedule worked out.

BFG will be a film which requires a long post production period due to it's special effects. Kinda like Tintin.

I think they also had the schedule worked out for BoS...

Long posr production...i thought so.. but the film is being filmed on april, and released in july next year. That's very short postproduction for a heavy cgi film...

• 2 weeks later...

Stole this from IMDB (thanks Gonzo_Knight!).

Manuka and other new technologies will come into play on forthcoming Weta projects including Zack Snyder’s Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice (now in post production and headed for a March 2016 release), Cameron’s three Avatar sequels (for which Weta is currently doing R&D work) and Steven Spielberg’s Roald Dahl adaptation The BFG.

The latter, set for a summer 2016 release, will involve “another breakthrough in how we integrate virtual worlds”, Letteri promises.

“Steven’s really keen to try some new filmmaking techniques on that.” As for the future of Weta Digital, the company will continue to focus on character animation, on working in close partnership with directors and, whenever possible, on projects for which it is the sole effects provider.

http://www.screendaily.com/awards/weta-digital-maximum-effect/5081538.article

Frank Marshall took a brief break from working on the Vancouver set of Steven Spielberg’s bigscreen adaptation of Roald Dahl’s beloved children’s book “The BFG” just to attend the premiere. Production began two weeks ago, and he said filming the movie has been a milestone experience for Spielberg.

“Shooting ‘BFG’ is kind of a new thing for Steven. The way we are making this movie is a little different than other films Steven is used to, because there is a combination of live actors and motion capture actors,” said Marshall. “It’s a different way to tell the story, so he’s really excited. We’ve got a giant played by Mark Rylance and a little girl in the same scene. We are doing amazing work with them so they can actually interact with each other. The things we have planned are incredible.”

http://variety.com/2015/scene/vpage/family-and-friends-remember-the-famous-crooner-at-hbos-sinatra-all-or-nothing-at-all-premiere-1201464656/

Let's see how well the motion capture of the actor who plays the giant translates on screen. I hope it doesn't happen what happened with the trolls in the first Hobbit movie, where they seem to have forgotten to add the weight of these massive creatures, and they end up moving and weighing the same as their human counterparts. There's a particular moment when one of the trolls falls to the ground that's embarassing to watch. The weight of the creature isn't there, so I hope here they are able to fix that.

It'll be interesting to see how an old pro adapts to the techniques employed by today's young directors. Watch him use it better than all of them

Walt Disney Pictures will co-finance and co-produce BFG with Walden Media and DreamWorks, even though it will already distribute the film as part of its tertiary deal with DreamWorks.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/429365-walt-disney-studios-joins-steven-spielbergs-the-bfg

This marks the first film Spielberg has directed for The Mouse House.

Consider yourself lucky if he doesn't get quicked out of BFG first!

If he doesn't do The BFG it would only be due to health reasons, I think. Otherwise they wouldn't have gone out of the way to mention The BFG in Bridge of Spies' press statement

There hasn't been an announcement that its canceled or postponed, BUT there's also been no trailers, no promotional items, no news, no nothing. It's POSSIBLE that Pixar is waiting for Inside Out to be out before pushing The Good Dinosaur.... and its possible its going to get pushed back. Who knows.

I think Martin Freeman is out, unfortunately. Seems like the complete cast has been announced.

Penelope Wilton as the Queen? I was hoping for a reunion with Maggie Smith, or someone equally 'legendary', haha.

But Wilton is a great actress, so I'm sure I'll be pleased anyway.

• 1 month later...

Here is the official logo for Steven Spielberg's The B.F.G. (Big Friendly Giant) -

the-bfg-logo.jpg

I cannot wait to see this next year; heck, I cannot wait to hear the Maestro's music for this film.

U.S. release - July 1, 2016

U.K. release - July 22, 2016

Walt Disney Pictures, DreamWorks Pictures, Amblin Entertainment, and Walden Media Presents,

A Steven Spielberg Film,

The Big Friendly Giant.

Starring Mark Rylance, Ruby Barnhill, Bill Hader, Penelope Wilton, Rebecca Hall, Jemaine Clement,

Michael David Adamthwaite, Daniel Bacon, Chris Gibbs, Adam Godley, Jonathan Holmes, Paul Moniz de Sa,

Ólafur Ólafsson.

Music by John Williams.

Cinematography by Janusz Kamiński.

Edited by Michael Kahn.

Screenplay by Melissa Mathison.

Based on the beloved children's book by Roald Dahl.

Produced by Frank Marshall and Kathleen Kennedy.

Directed by Steven Spielberg.

Distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures.

I cannot wait to hear the Maestro's music for this film.

Let's just wait.

Maybe he gets replaced for this film too..

By the way, the logo doesn't appear to me in your post.

Here it is again.

the-bfg-logo.jpg

I see shades of A.I.!

I must say, that watching the animation film, the story was very uninteresting to me.

I'm curious to see how he will make it interesting.

Here is the official logo for Steven Spielberg's The B.F.G. (Big Friendly Giant) -

licensing-expo-2015-image-54.jpg

I cannot wait to see this next year; heck, I cannot wait to hear the Maestro's music for this film.

AI 2: THE REVENGE OF BIG TEDDY