2014 Oscar Predictions

Ricard

• 1 month later...

offtopic: My favourite Belgian film (ok, i have seen only one* I think :biglaugh: so the expression isn't right), is "Farinelli"!

Excellent period atmosphere!

farin.jpg

* Oh, I have seen The Eighth Day (1996) too, but I don't remember anything..

I didn't say him because I thought everyone would go, "who?". But yeah, definitely.

The film's poster/box art is enough to put me off it for life.

Maybe you should check out the trailer.

If you like period films and baroque classical music then this is a MUST see film.

If you don't, then i guess it's not for you.

Farinelli was something like the Lady Gaga of 18th Century (I mean in fame, not in talent!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFliIl-vtms

* Oh, I have seen The Eighth Day (1996) too, but I don't remember anything..

It's a shame you don't remember anything, Le Huitième Jour is wonderful. It's actually my favorite Belgian film (not that I've seen many), by the same director of Toto le Héros. And the score is superb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtNUvpuuCQ4

• 2 weeks later...

My second prediction is Matthew McConaughey for best drama performance. I've just seen clips of Dallas Buyers Club. It's a done deal. I told you he was on a roll.

Alex

I am NOT an 80's buff!

I hated the 80's in the 80's, things are better now!

The 80's was - and always will be - the epitome of 'cool'.

Did you guys somehow miss the outfits they we wearing in the video for 'When The Rain Begins To Fall'...?

Best Flm: "12 Years A Slave".

Best Director: Alfonse Cauron.

Best Actor: Matthew McConnaghey (but I'd love to see Bruce Dern get it).

Best Actress: probably Meryl...

Best Score: Steve Price.

Best Full-Length Animation: "Frozen".

Best Visual Effects: "Gravity".

Best Editing...probably "Gravity".

Best Cinematography: "Gravity".

Best decade for movies.

That was the 70s.

Of course the '70s were the last golden age of Hollywood. However, when Quint speaks of movies he refers to blockbusters. It's true that the search for blockbusters and audience pleasers was pretty high in them '80s.

Of course the '70s were the last golden age of Hollywood. However, when Quint speaks of movies he refers to blockbusters.

In this instance, yes. I was a kid of the eighties and loved all of the now iconic blockbusters and learned all the lines. I didn't get into film until I was about 19. Ironically enough it was after I returned to Jaws probably for the first time since I was 8, and suddenly noticing all of this wonderful artistry and craft stuff going on in it.

The decade of Steven Spielberg Presents and the soundtrack of my young life as written by John Williams is my favourite decade for movies, with nostalgia playing a significant part, naturally.

Sharky is too young to remember when Spielberg's name used to headline Hollywood output every summer, directing or producing. He ruled the industry and it was a great time to be a kid with a wild imagination.

Imagination? Brought to you by Amblin, serving the suburbia of America?

You must be joking!

Apart from E.T., BTTF and maybe the first Gremlins film, what did Amblin produce that is still truly great today? The Goonies? Amazing Stories? Batteries Not Includes?

JP was the first film I ever saw (ablate on VHS rather than in the cinema, I was only 1 for Christ's sake!), but I guess that was the tail end of that 'era.' SCHINDLER'S LIST and the arrival of Janusz Kaminski brought the end to that.

You must be joking!

Nope. I loved all that Amblin stuff as a little innocent whippersnapper who hadn't yet discovered his cynical side. Was you already practising at being grown up then I take it? Not me, I was busy playing army and climbing trees. And of course, there were movies I liked that weren't just under the Amblin banner. Paramount produced the Indiana Jones films, Steef. Not Amblin. And it was Colombia who made Ghostbusters, Steef. Not Amblin.

Heck, I could probably attribute my entire film fandom to Indiana Jones if I really wanted to boil it down. The eighties blockbuster aesthetic - the whole Lucasfilm production design, lighting and ILM work - they were instrumental in my love of the movies. And then ladies and gentlemen we had that unifying musical sound written by a god which was pretty much the equivalent of the stars aligning for me. Yeah, I love eighties movies.

Also, when I said before that Spielberg ruled the industry, I didn't mean in a way which the likes of Nolan and Abrams are perceived to do so nowadays. Lol, no. Steven Spielberg was a superstar movie mogul on the same level as Michael Jackson and Madonna. He was blockbuster cinema.

He did invent it, after all.

The cold war prevented me from getting too entangled with then-current Hollywood hits, as i lived in east berlin and we were at the mercy of west german tv which was not much more exciting than its eastern counterpart. Before the wall came down, we could watch E. T., FX and DIRTY DANCING (cinema), BACK TO THE FUTURE, BEVERLY HILLS COP, ROCKY IV (tv) - and that literally was it, the rest was stuff like EARTHQUAKE, DIRTY DOZEN and VANISHING POINT because back then, it took literally an eternity for big movies to reach television.

Then when i was enabled to watch GOONIES et al, i was too jaded by stuff like FRENCH CONNECTION to get all worked up about juvenile Amblin stuff - the only movie from this realm i adore still to this day is ROGER RABBIT (and BTTF), but which movie that has Bob Hoskins playing against Looney Tunes could possibly suck?

As for love on first sight, i say that John Hughes with FERRIS, WEIRD SCIENCE and BREAKFAST CLUB was much closer to my heart than the often-too-aseptic Amblin productions...

You must be joking!

Apart from E.T., BTTF and maybe the first Gremlins film, what did Amblin produce that is still truly great today? The Goonies? Amazing Stories? Batteries Not Includes?

As a producion company, Amblin Entertainment has an impressive track-record, including "Empire Of The Sun", "Schindler's List", and "Lincoln".

It's not all about lowest-common-denominator, popcorn entertainment.