A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) - 2015 3CD set from La-La Land Records

Jay

So should I get this or Judge Dredd?

Why not both?

By the way, did they issue new copies with the correct Goldsmith trailer music?

If not, then I guess you can wait for that one.

They recalled the version out now and will issue a fixed version soon.

It was fixed by a Mr. Neil S. Bulk. That means it's been fixed well

Too bad it needed fixing in the first place...

Remember SpaceCamp..? Ouch.

What was wrong with SpaceCamp?

Error in one of the tracks. Replacements copies were sent to everyone who ordered and received the disc. What a loss that must have been.

We know that "I Only Have Eyes For You" was composed (or rather arranged) by John Williams due to Wrobel's Rundown (Page 198).

I agree that the Dr. Know source was surely John Williams as well.

As for the Joseph Williams cues, we know he did 3 cues and not 4, thanks to his official Agency PDF (Page 1)

"I Only Have Eyes For You" is a 1930s song written by Harry Warren and Al Dubin. Williams arranged and recorded it purposefully for the film.

It's likely Joseph Williams wrote the two techno pieces (aka Moon Rising insert and the amphibicopter piece) and the source piece when they arrive at Rouge City.

"Immaculate Heart" could very well be an unused score cue--maybe it's the unidentified piece that appears on Disc 2 of the promo which some speculated to be a cue for Gigolo Joe's monologue ("They hate us, you know, the humans"), right after they leave the Dr Know sequence.

Yup, and if his other 2 contributions are the Moon Rising techno and Amphibicopter techno, those bits could be integrated into their tracks.

However, I was just watching this video:

And in the video John seems to say he wrote the amphibicopter techno.

Maybe it's co-composed by father and son?

Joseph might have lent a hand to his father on this stuff. If I remember correctly Williams had help with the prologue of War of the Worlds and the assassination "pulse" theme for Munich where he in both cases developed the synth sound with the synth players.

There's also the question of who composed the little tap-dance ditty Gigolo Joe dances to

Well I would have been happy with the complete score alone so everything beyond it is just positive extra in my book. :)

Agreed. I don't really care about the Joe Williams stuff. I'm so excited to get Williams' complete score, and that its all presented in Chrono order! This is gonna be awesome!

Looks like a fantastic release... can't wait! I never did hear the original A.I. CD... because I owned the DVD-Audio release. ;)

The DVD-A of A.I. is just an upsample version of the 44.1kHz/16bit CD, encoded as 88.2kHz/24bit. So, yes, you did hear the original A.I. CD, and only the CD! ;)

Agreed. I don't really care about the Joe Williams stuff. I'm so excited to get Williams' complete score, and that its all presented in Chrono order! This is gonna be awesome!

+1

Also, it seems like the philosophy of the presentation here is to reproduce very faithfully the musical narrative as heard in the film, plus a full disc with a large section of alternates and bonus material. And the fact Williams supervised it and gave his stamp of approval quickly disassembles years of fan conspiracy theories about what he thinks about presentation (and preservation) of his film work on disc. Sure, the OST will still be around and maybe it remains Williams' preferred presentation, who knows, but the fact he's open to revisit and expand his older material for his admirers says a lot.

It also really means that a truly sensitive (and music-savvy) producer like Mike Matessino is absolutely key when it comes to do things the right way.

So apart from the bountiful unreleased music (Search for the Blue Fairy Film Version and Extended Abandoned in the Woods are probably right up there as my most coveted unreleased JW music), what are the chances this release fixes the atrociously muffled mix of the OST? Was AI always intended to sound like the orchestra was underwater, or is it just the worst Shaun Murphy mix in history?

I'm assuming they've gone back to the original recordings and re-mastered from scratch (I expect no less from Matessino), but I'm intrigued to hear whether it was the recording itself or just the mix that gifted us the flattest sounding JW OST ever.

It also really means that a truly sensitive (and music-savvy) producer like Mike Matessino is absolutely key when it comes to do things the right way.

Your last sentence is spot on. Matessino surely has developed a great rapport with Williams after collaborating on Empire of The Sun and AI. Surely the next Spielberg/Williams collaboration will be equally remarkable!

Your last sentence is spot on. Matessino surely has developed a great repertoire with Williams after collaborating on Empire of The Sun and AI. Surely the next Spielberg/Williams collaboration will be equally remarkable!

Then I hope it's E.T.! :)

How about Minority Report? Fox is the easiest studio to work with!

And Universal is the most difficult one?

Pity because my most wanted expansions are Universal.

Yup Universal holds the right to most all the most desired Williams scores (Jurassic Park 1 & 2, Jaws 1 & 2, ET, Dracula)

This list is handy: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24564

Yes, I was just looking at it.

Also i see some possible premiere releases are Universal too! :(

(Secret Ways, Killers, Rare Breed, Plainsman etc.)

So I guess we won't see them for quite some time.

Intrada Records releases Universal expansions all the time! They just did Jaws 4 and Jaws 3, for example.

Intrada Records releases Universal expansions all the time! They just did Jaws 4 and Jaws 3, for example.

Oh great then. I hope they're interested in vintage Williams too.

Oh great then. I hope they're interested in vintage Williams too.

I'm sure they are, as they already released a few JW titles from the 60s and early 70s.

When it comes to titles like Jaws, E.T. or Jurassic Park, the main obstacle in getting the license to release a new edition might not be the film studio, but more actually whoever has the rights for the soundtrack album release. All of the above mentioned are likely still considered big sellers and it's comprehensible that UMG (the company who still has soundtrack album rights for all those) isn't letting them go to others. Keep in mind that Universal Music Group is a separate company from Universal Pictures.

Yup - an Universal Music Group recently chose to re-issue E.T. digitally through Geffen, so that could be an issue for a specialty label expanded release, I would think.

This one was not necessarily at the top of my wish list, but as a JW completist, it will be mine.

"Produced, Assembled, and Mastered by Mike Matessino"

No better words to read about an expanded release!

No question about it. The best of the best.

Version II is promo D1T4 0.00-4.36.

Wait, what?

I thought D1T4 of the Oscar promo was 7m3 from 0:00-5:40, and then 7m5 from 5:40-end

What is 4:36-5:40 then?

7m4!

Let me see if I can figure it out.

OSCAR PROMO

Oscar Promo Disc 1, Track 4 (sometimes labeled by fans as "Stored Memories and Monica's Theme")
[0:00-4:36] = 7M3 Journey Through The Ice (Version II)
[4:36-7:37] = 7M4 Stored Images
[7:37-end] = 7M5 What Is Your Wish?

Oscar Promo Disc 1, Track 6 (sometimes labeled by fans as "Stored Memories (Alternate Cue")
[all] = 7m3 Journey Through The Ice

OST

OST Track 8 ("Stored Memories / Monica's Theme")
[0:00-4:36] = 7M3 Journey Through The Ice
[4:36-7:37] = 7M4 Stored Images
[7:37-end] = 7M5 What Is Your Wish?

Is that right?

And The LLL is probably

2-04 Journey Through The Ice (Part 1)
[all] = 7M3 Journey Through The Ice (Version II)

2-05 Journey Through The Ice (Part 2)
[all] = 7M3 Journey Through The Ice

2-06 Stored Memories
[all] = 7M4 Stored Images

2-07 What Is Your Wish?
[all] = 7M5 What Is Your Wish

I repeat and update:

7m3 original: promo D1T6

7m3 version II: promo D1T4: 0.00-4.36

Film version of 7m3: D1T4: 0.00-2.21 approx + D1T6: 2.23 approx. - end (= first part of Version II + second part of original version)

7m4 Stored images: promo D1T4: 4:36-7.37

7m5 What is Your Wish: promo D1T4: 7.37- end

All I know is that one of you sank my #%@&*! battleship.

I didn't shoot my wife

tumblr_m8jxsiiGSb1qjaxbko1_500.jpg

Your last sentence is spot on. Matessino surely has developed a great repertoire with Williams after collaborating on Empire of The Sun and AI. Surely the next Spielberg/Williams collaboration will be equally remarkable!

Dont you mean rapport?

Looks like a fantastic release... can't wait! I never did hear the original A.I. CD... because I owned the DVD-Audio release. ;)

The DVD-A of A.I. is just an upsample version of the 44.1kHz/16bit CD, encoded as 88.2kHz/24bit. So, yes, you did hear the original A.I. CD, and only the CD! ;)

Do you have proof of this? The CD does not contain a surround mix. The inside of the DVD-A's back paper insert:

"This album was mixed and mastered especially for DVD-Audio.

Playback is possible with all DVD-Video or Audio/Video players. Your hardware set up determines the mix you hear:

DVD-Video compatible Dolby Digital Surround

or

New for DVD-Audio, Advanced Resolution Surround or Stereo"

The OST is, actually, a pretty good representation of the score. It has all the major cues, and...er...that's pertty much it... :blink:

Anyway, enjoy.

You're joking, right?

It may have all the major cues from the end of the film, but it sure is missing a lot of highlights from the beginning!

And the 2 versions of the pop song.... :pukeface: I'm glad they're on Disc 3 of the new set :)

On the Joseph Williams stuff--I woul imagine he'd of been credited on the OST if he were significantly involved, since JW is his father an would probably want that. I'm guessing ppl have checked the OST and there's nothing there?