2012 Oscar Discussion Thread (Tintin and War Horse nominated for Best Original Score!)

Romão

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Disney has 59 nominations. We just need about 15 more Spielberg films in Williams' lifetime!

He also needs 5 more Oscars to be the most-WINNING composer of all time (and second most individual after Disney, who will probably never be surpassed with his 22).

Recently found:

http://www.anomalous...vs-walt-disney/

I love Williams and I think his nominations were deserved, but I definitely think Disney deserved every one of his nominations and more:

http://en.wikipedia...._Academy_Awards

Almost all of the nominations were for cartoon shorts. Walt was deeply involved in the production of everything at his studio, especially the shorts. The only feature-length film that he was nominated for was Mary Poppins, his crowning achievement, and well deserved.

He deserved nominations for nearly every one of his feature-length animated films (and I don't mean just in the animated category, which didn't exist until recently), but he didn't get a single one (unless you count the honorary award for Snow White, and the one for Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day, which was later released as part of a feature-length film). He also produced several classic live-action films, like Swiss Family Robinson and The Parent Trap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
In January, I wrote about my disappointment that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences had chosen to nominate neither Cliff Martinez nor Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross for Best Original Score. (Martinez scored “Drive,” Reznor and Ross “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.”) On Twitter, my colleague Alex Ross echoed my “impatience” and NPR’s Ann Powers tweeted that Martinez was “robbed!” Then the writer Scott Plagenhoef and the composer James Lavino pointed out that “Drive” hadn’t been passed over—it had been declared ineligible.

Full article at The New Yorker

The Oscars haven't been worth watching since RotK was given its due. And even then it was a begrudgingly "about frickin' time" thing.

These awarded ceremonies are all celeb backslapping anal fingering fests designed to make chumps like Brad Pitt feel as handsome as he is a failure.

Doesn't The Artist use a Hermann piece at a very critical moment in the film?

This will likely come up Sunday night when the Award for Best Original Score is handed out. If the odds-makers are right, the award will go to one of the most blatant violators of the Academy’s own rules. Alex Ross will explain.

And a couple of gems from the Alex Ross article:

The film-music nominees this year are a mostly unimpressive lot. John Williams’s two efforts, for all their characteristic craftsmanship, lack distinction in comparison with Martinez’s work on “Drive,” not to mention Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross’s seething score for “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo,” which also failed to get a nomination.
If, as seems likely, “The Artist” wins the Original Score Oscar, I won’t be entirely unhappy. Herrmann received only one Oscar, for “The Devil and Daniel Webster,” in 1941; he wasn’t even nominated for “Vertigo,” which I and many others consider the greatest score ever written for Hollywood. The master deserves one last vicarious prize.

Full article at the New Yorker

he wasn’t even nominated for “Vertigo,” which I and many others consider the greatest score ever written for Hollywood. The master deserves one last vicarious prize.

BullShit. Vertico surely should have won back then but this mediocre "thing" should never win anything.

And a couple of gems from the Alex Ross article:

The film-music nominees this year are a mostly unimpressive lot. John Williams’s two efforts, for all their characteristic craftsmanship, lack distinction in comparison with Martinez’s work on “Drive,” not to mention Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross’s seething score for “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo,” which also failed to get a nomination.

Full article at the New Yorker

I heard drive and one thing the score hasn't is 'distinction'.

I just don't get the hype about Drive. The score was barely noticeable in the film to me, and by far the most effective cue in the film (Tick of the Clock) isn't by Martinez.

I'll be staying up until maybe 2am this year - to see if I can see the music award. If not, I'll read about Bource's win in the morning. Or, if by some miracle War Horse wins, I'll fire up Sky and watch the moment :)

Other than that, I just don't care any more.

What time will the "Best Original Score" category be presented? I don't want to watch for 2 hours if it's near the end.

I really wanted music to be before 2am, or 6pm PST, as that's about my cutoff for going to sleep on a work day.

Maybe I'll set an alarm for 3am and hope they're not running ahead of schedule :P If Williams wins, I want to be watching live!

There ever was a fool's hope of Williams winning. I am still keeping my fingers crossed for him though against all the Ludovic Bources of this world. I would very happy for good old Johnny if I woke up tomorrow and found out he has won a well deserved Oscar once again.

Hey, even if we know if the Artist is going to win, its still fun to watch this show. Its been a yearly tradition for me to watch this, so I'll be in front of the TV for the night!

I'm excited to hear Elfman's music again for Cirque de Soleil!