Are you primarily a fan of John Williams or film music?

indy4

Are you primarily a fan of John Williams or film music?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Are you primarily a fan of John Williams or film music?

• I prefer JW over every other film composer combined.
    • I prefer every other film composer combined over JW.

It is a very difficult question to answer because there is so many excellent non-Williams scores of various different style, but JW is by far my favourite composer. I live in Ireland and he is the only composer that I am willing to travel to America to see in concert, and I have done so twice (Tanglewood in 2005 and New York in 2011). Hopefully, I'll see a third concert in next year.

This is an old thread and I'm surprised that t didn't bring my exhaustive answer.

I'm am primarily a JW's fan, a fan of his film scores, a fan of his concertos and mostly a fan his musicianship/personality.

How about his looks?

• 4 years later...

I cannot answer this question. I'm primarily a fan of John and Jerry. I prefer the both guys over every other film composer combined.

There are a few more film composers that really know how to compose. But why should I listen to Hans Zimmer, Danny Elfman or even James Horner without the context of the film, when there are Stravinsky, Wagner, Schubert and so many other real composers...

It's a revelation! There are many interesting threads on pages 11-19!

Definitely film music, though like anyone John Williams was my first real gateway to said format. 

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

But why should I listen to Hans Zimmer, Danny Elfman or even James Horner without the context of the film, when there are Stravinsky, Wagner, Schubert and so many other real composers...

Real composers? They're not wax dummies I'm assuming. 

1 hour ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

"Real?"  I can't think of any "fake" composers beyond PDQ Bach.

For the longest time I thought Ladd McIntosh was just the synth software Zimmer used to compose his music on. Think of my surprise when I found out he was a composer and arranger.