If "The Silmarillion" is ever made into a Movie or Series..

Perdogg

For someone like Christopher Tolkien, who spend a huge part of his life cataloging his fathers writings in painstaking detail it must be galling to see the writers of the films playing fast and loose with the mythology.

Yeah. As we've discussed before, PJ's film deviate from what Tolkien's work was in essence. And for someone who dedicated his whole life to his father's work, I can understand why he finds the commercialization of his father's more personal and spiritual work to be painful to watch.

For someone like Christopher Tolkien, who spend a huge part of his life cataloging his fathers writings in painstaking detail it must be galling to see the writers of the films playing fast and loose with the mythology.

Good point. Like watching not only decades of your father's life, but decades of your own life, shot out of a cannon for a circus side show.

I've been thinking about that quite a bit actually, I think it would be an awesome film, but theres so much music in it! Especially the creation in the beginning.

But why would the Tolkien estate be mad at Jackson… for what he did with the story in the "three" hobbit movies?

Because he's making films that are desecrating their ancestors work, are brining new generations to Tolkien and providing the estate money in the process - they make complete sense!

You're being sarcastic, but how is the first point a good one?

And the films are bringing generations of fans of PJ's version of Tolkien. Most of them don't bother reading the books. And even if they do, the deeper subtext is often just glossed over to pick up on more spectacle. And that's probably what makes the Tolkien family hate these films even more.

We all know if Tolkien were alive, he would hate all 6 films.

Got 20! I'm good.

Let's banish Steef from the Tolkien subforum!

You are 16, your memory is better!

Oy! I'm turning 20 this year!

Maybe, but they're just trying to preserve what they see as the true meaning behind Tolkien's work, which they believe is being washed out by commercial ventures like these films. Which isn't entirely untrue.

He'd probably hate the films, and deem them as disgraceful treatments of his work. I can't see him selling the rights to Silmarillion, his most personal work.

Tolkien spend decades on his fantasy world, writing and rewriting to such an extent that only 2 of his Middle-earth works were published in his lifetime.

It was a passionate life's work and I'm sure he would have objected to most of the changes. Even those needed to translate the work to film.

13/20 on that quiz.

Doesn't matter, really: I can memorize the answers and take it again (all because the number of times Marian said one could take this quiz was not stipulated).

Oh, look. I got 20/20.

Continuing on with the conversation.

It's only dishonest if you consider learning after the fact deserving of a penalty, which really only applies in the context of a classroom setting.

Besides, I'm more knowledgeable about LOTR and The Sil after this quiz, so why should I have it count against me?

Continuing on with the conversation.

The man who I believe should have had the final say himself was Tolkien, and he sold the rights!

They certainly seem to hate it! They aren't doing the books any favours by coming across as ass-holes.

Especially since there is literally not a single aspect from the book (The Hobbit) that was not translated nicely onto film. There were many additions, but the rest of it is as intact as can be.

Also, the films don't take anything from the books.

So Fal, Steef and RedBard must face exile.

Nonsense!

My learning is quicker than the quickest Rhosgobel rabbits.

I've learned everything in that quiz, and then some.

If you exile me, you will simply be doing to me what Illuvitar did to Melkor.

My presence will be visible in my work.

You cannot silence me!

Unlike LOTR they did actually film almost every single letter of The Hobbit

You must be joking

Knowing Stefancos (in the limited sense of forum interaction), it's mostly likely a sardonic kind of joking.

Most of the rest gets much of its impact by being a part of the whole cycle.

Oh, alright then. We'll do it all. The Quenta Silmarillion, at least. But there will have to be a lot of films - no trying to squeeze the whole thing into a trilogy of a measly three hours each...

I've been envisioning a filmic version of this story that'll work beautifully as a single film. It'll have to be in a divided act structure, and take on a more impressionistic stance like 2001. A good deal will be glossed over by necessity, focusing more on the feeling and atmosphere over the intricate plot, but with key stories treated as individual chapters that are tied together by the silmarils as the recurring motif, it could work very well. It'll be nothing like the PJ films, and would probably not appeal as much to the mainstream, but it'd have great artistic merit.

Need to read the book again to really picture it.

You must be joking

What was left out? Except the talking birds and purses?

A problem of the Hobbit is bloat, certainly not simplification. How can anyone possibly think the Hobbit suffers from things taken out?

You must be joking

Not a lot was ommited. Far far less then with LOTR. Only the talking birds spring to mind right now.

I happened to read (most of) the book last week. I didn't read the first four chapters, since I read them after AUJ came out and then got stuck at chapter five, so I picked up from there.

Stuff that is not in the film:

• Gandalf regularly blowing smoke rings (he does so in Bilbo's home and then again at Beorn's);
  • Gandalf visited Dol Goldur and met Thrain before he joined the Quest. It is here that he acquired the map and key;
  • IIRC, Gandalf is the one who tricks the trolls into staying out in the sunlight and turning into stone;
  • a different portrayal of Elves;
  • unlike the animals portrayed in the film, the Wargs in the novel are a seperate 'people' and have the ability to speak;
  • when the Company is attacked by Wargs after escaping the Misty Mountains, Gandalf uses his magic to make fire (including, as in the film, setting in pinecones on fire and throwing them down the tree). Several Wargs are killed by being set on fire. There are no Orcs or Goblins present at this event;
  • the Company spends a day and a night at the Eagles' Eyrie, before being flown further and dropped off near Beorn's house. Also, the Eagles speak in the book;
  • Beorn has a lot of animals that act as his servants (although unlike a lot of other animals in the novel, they do not speak);
  • Beorn leaves the Company at his house for a day and a night to travel to the Misty Mountains to confirm the Company's tale of killing the Great Goblin;
  • Gandalf does not leave the Company until the borders of Mirkwood. When he does, he heads straight for Dol Goldur;
  • Beorn stealthily follows the Company to the edge of Mirkwood to ensure they return his ponies to him;
  • the Wood-Elves' enchanted feast in Mirkwood, luring the Company from place to place. The apparations are enchanted and cause whoever steps into the party to fall asleep. This is how Thorin is captured well before the rest of the Company;
  • there is a general compression of time in the film. For example, Bilbo spends about a week sneaking around the Elven King's fortress in the book. There are many passages that take days or even weeks in the books that go by very quickly in the film;
  • after escaping the Elven-King's stronghold, the barrels come to a gathering spot of sorts. There they are bound together and taken into Lake-Town by Elves (via water);
  • Bilbo does not have his own barrel, but rather climbs on top of one and rides it like that (hence his self-proclaimed nickname of 'barrel-rider');
  • the Dwarves take ponies to the Lonely Mountain and set up camp just below the hidden door;
  • Bilbo stealing a cup from a sleeping Smaug and taking it back to the Dwarves. This cause Smaug to leave the mountain, kill the ponies and trash the hidden door, leaving Bilbo and the Dwarves shut inside Erebor. Only after this does Bilbo go down and talk to Smaug;
  • several songs scattered throughout the book;
  • the talking (and very old) ravens living at Ravenhill, which is why the hill is named Ravenhill in the first place;
  • Smaug's weak spot is not part of an old Dale legend. It is Bilbo who first spots it when speaking to Smaug. He then goes outside to talk to the Dwarves and tells them about it. An old thrush overhears him and flies off to Lake-Town. As the dragon attacks the town, the thrush speaks to Bard and tells him where the weak spot is;
  • the tale of the destruction of Lake-Town is not told until after we read about the Dwarves being shut inside Erebor, not knowing if Smaug is alive or dead. They're shut in for several weeks and it is only after we read about this that there's a flashback of sorts to tell of how Lake-Town was destroyed and Bard became Lake-Town's de facto military leader and spokesman;
  • Bard is not introduced until just before Smaug reaches Lake-Town. He kills the dragon about four pages after his own introduction;
  • Bard is captain of Lake-Town's archers, not a barge man. I think he is also older in the book than in the film. There is no mention of a family;
  • the Master is still alive at the end of Tolkien's The Hobbit. After the death of Smaug, he does not join Bard, who takes his archers and a host of Men to Dale, but stays behind with the women, children and craftsmen to oversee everyone digging in for winter and building huts on the shore of the Long Lake;
  • in the novel, the Five Armies are Men (from Lake-Town), Dwarves (Dain and his forces from the Iron Hills) and Elves (the Elven-King and his host from Mirkwood) vs. Goblins avenging the dead of the Goblin King and Wargs avenging their fallen comrades at the foot of the Misty Mountains;
  • Gundabad is mentioned as the capitol city of the Goblins. They rallied there before heading for the Lonely Mountain. There is no mention of the Witch-King, Angmar or any relation between Gundabad and Sauron (could be in the LotR appendices - I haven't checked);
  • the Goblins are commanded by Bolg, who is the son of Azog, who was killed by Thorin in Moria long before the start of The Hobbit. Azog and Bolg are Goblins, just like the Goblins living in the Misty Mountains;
  • Thorin actually gets a proper god-damn funeral in the book (this will reportedly be included in the BoFA EE - we certainly know that it has been shot from pictures that showed up in some of the design books accompanying the film);
  • Thorin is buried with the Arkenstone;
  • the book describes more of Bilbo's return journey, including him digging up some of the troll treasure they found early in the story;
  • the book also describes the aftermath of the auction Bilbo finds upon his return: he has to spend a lot of time and effort to convince people he isn't dead and ends up having to buy back some of his own furniture;
  • the book ends with Bilbo being visited by Gandalf and Balin a few years after the events that lead to the Battle of Five Armies.

Might be a long list, but the stuff left out is of such detail and so small compared to the amount that did make it to the screen, I think it's fair to say that a huge amount of the book was put on film. And the stuff that is there is pretty verbatim.

Oh I absolutely have to discuss and chime on your points here Marc!

• Gandalf regularly blowing smoke rings (he does so in Bilbo's home and then again at Beorn's);

Yes this was absent apart from Bilbo's own little smoke ring as we transition from old Bilbo to his youthful counterpart

• Gandalf visited Dol Goldur and met Thrain before he joined the Quest. It is here that he acquired the map and key;

This is one of the trickiest things they had to adapt as it would have required Gandalf to solve the mystery of the Necromancer before the story presented in these films. Now the movies make this the main mystery and reason for Gandalf to go to Dol Guldur.

• IIRC, Gandalf is the one who tricks the trolls into staying out in the sunlight and turning into stone;

This moment was given to Bilbo to flesh out his heroism and importance to the company by having him to be the one to save them.

The Hobbit elves are quite a bit flightier and more mischievous than the ethereal somewhat removed from the day-to-day world elves of Lord of the Rings. Then again there are more serious elves like Elrond (a half-elf to be exact).

• unlike the animals portrayed in the film, the Wargs in the novel are a seperate 'people' and have the ability to speak;

Wargs are indeed if not people a distinct race of large wolves and do speak in their own way although no one else in Thorin's company but Gandalf can understand them in the book.

• when the Company is attacked by Wargs after escaping the Misty Mountains, Gandalf uses his magic to make fire (including, as in the film, setting in pinecones on fire and throwing them down the tree). Several Wargs are killed by being set on fire. There are no Orcs or Goblins present at this event;

Goblins do come down from the mountains to meet the wargs in the novel (more like normal wolves than the demonic wargs of LotR) and use Gandalf's fires to set the pines to flame so they are actually present after some of the wargs have been driven away. The film focuses on Azog and his riders instead as the goblins never give chase out from the caves in the film.

• the Company spends a day and a night at the Eagles' Eyrie, before being flown further and dropped off near Beorn's house. Also, the Eagles speak in the book;

The film makers chose not to have the eagles speak after a while of deliberation. They do not speak in LotR so they should not speak in the Hobbit films either. Other speaking "fairy tale" animals do not speak in these films either. Smaugs as a dragon is the only exception.

• Beorn has a lot of animals that act as his servants (although unlike a lot of other animals in the novel, they do not speak);

Beorn is shown to have a large collection of animals in and around his house in the film but they are never shown serving or doing any work for him, perhaps again trying to strike a more realistic closer to LotR tone

• Beorn leaves the Company at his house for a day and a night to travel to the Misty Mountains to confirm the Company's tale of killing the Great Goblin;

I think they might have considered showing this at one point as the concept art and even some production photos show an orc head on a spike in front of Beorn's gate. It would have been a great scene I am sure but they did not want to prolong the opening of the film any longer than they had to.

• Gandalf does not leave the Company until the borders of Mirkwood. When he does, he heads straight for Dol Goldur;

This is explained by the fact that he had already discovered who the Necromancer was and the attack of the White Council on Dol Guldur was not commencing. In the film Gandalf's fact finding mission takes him to Dol Guldur along a rather different route.

• Beorn stealthily follows the Company to the edge of Mirkwood to ensure they return his ponies to him;

This is in fact mentioned in the EE version of the film and Beorn is seen watching them from a hillock.

• the Wood-Elves' enchanted feast in Mirkwood, luring the Company from place to place. The apparations are enchanted and cause whoever steps into the party to fall asleep. This is how Thorin is captured well before the rest of the Company;

The Wood Elves are actually feasting in the forest under the stars and the lights are not apparitions but the lights and fires of their feast, which the dwarves are drawn to in hopes of food and shelter and when they stumble into the clearing the elves use their magic to escape the intruders. This is quite a "fairy" element in the story but they do not repeat it in the movie to save time I suppose. They homage it a bit in the shooting of the white stag, which symbolizes the disturbance of the fairy creatures and hence the elves which draws bad luck upon the company when Thorin depicts such arrogant pride and ill will.

• there is a general compression of time in the film. For example, Bilbo spends about a week sneaking around the Elven King's fortress in the book. There are many passages that take days or even weeks in the books that go by very quickly in the film;

PJ states on the commentary track with Boyens that they had to do very serious compression of the timeline to keep the sense of urgency. The film is a bit too breathless for my taste and the journey through Mirkwood feels very short.

• after escaping the Elven-King's stronghold, the barrels come to a gathering spot of sorts. There they are bound together and taken into Lake-Town by Elves (via water);

Yes the raft-elven village sequence is not in the film. Again when they changed the way the company arrives to Lake-Town it was not even necessary.

• Bilbo does not have his own barrel, but rather climbs on top of one and rides it like that (hence his self-proclaimed nickname of 'barrel-rider');

This is briefly seen in the film when Bilbo for a few moments rides one of the barrels in the manner you describe but hardly to the extent he does in the novel.

• the Dwarves take ponies to the Lonely Mountain and set up camp just below the hidden door;

The journey takes them 3 days from Lake-Town but in the film they make the journey in a single day. Another one of those filmic compressions of time and geography.

• Bilbo stealing a cup from a sleeping Smaug and taking it back to the Dwarves. This cause Smaug to leave the mountain, kill the ponies and trash the hidden door, leaving Bilbo and the Dwarves shut inside Erebor. Only after this does Bilbo go down and talk to Smaug;
  • the talking (and very old) ravens living at Ravenhill, which is why the hill is named Ravenhill in the first place;

I hope they touch on the subject of ravens of the mountain a bit more in the EE of BotFA.

• Smaug's weak spot is not part of an old Dale legend. It is Bilbo who first spots it when speaking to Smaug. He then goes outside to talk to the Dwarves and tells them about it. An old thrush overhears him and flies off to Lake-Town. As the dragon attacks the town, the thrush speaks to Bard and tells him where the weak spot is;

Even though the thrush has been introduced in the first film having him delivering the message to Bard in the midst of battle would have been a bit strange when you do not have the luxury of having the narrator to spell the connection between the men of Dale and thrushes out to the audience. And again a talking bird would have gone against the "no talking animals" idea used in these films.

• the tale of the destruction of Lake-Town is not told until after we read about the Dwarves being shut inside Erebor, not knowing if Smaug is alive or dead. They're shut in for several weeks and it is only after we read about this that there's a flashback of sorts to tell of how Lake-Town was destroyed and Bard became Lake-Town's de facto military leader and spokesman;
  • Bard is not introduced until just before Smaug reaches Lake-Town. He kills the dragon about four pages after his own introduction;
  • Bard is captain of Lake-Town's archers, not a barge man. I think he is also older in the book than in the film. There is no mention of a family;

Bard has a family though as his son Bain (information from LotR) becomes the next king of Dale after his father's death. The film makers elaborated on the scant information they had from the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings on the character (who is drawn very thinly by Tolkien) and set him up with a larger background story and family.

• the Master is still alive at the end of Tolkien's The Hobbit. After the death of Smaug, he does not join Bard, who takes his archers and a host of Men to Dale, but stays behind with the women, children and craftsmen to oversee everyone digging in for winter and building huts on the shore of the Long Lake;

Master is said to have died a while after the events of the book as Gandalf and Balin tell how he had taken the gold from the people of Lake-Town and fled only to die in the wilderness alone. He was replaced by a wiser master and apparently he had rebuilt a flourishing new town on the Long Lake. The film gives him thematically a fitting ending as the gold and greed are his downfall here as well.

• in the novel, the Five Armies are Men (from Lake-Town), Dwarves (Dain and his forces from the Iron Hills) and Elves (the Elven-King and his host from Mirkwood) vs. Orcs/Goblins avenging the dead of the Goblin King and Wargs avenging their fallen comrades at the foot of the Misty Mountains;

Yes the Goblins (actually not a separate race but orcs all the same) come for the treasure and for their vengeance upon the dwarves for Azog and the war of dwarves and goblins and to avenge the Great Goblin who was in fact subordinate of Bolg of the North who ruled all the orcs of the Misty Mountains.

• Gundabad is mentioned as the capitol city of the Goblins. They rallied there before heading for the Lonely Mountain. There is no mention of the Witch-King, Angmar or any relation between Gundabad and Sauron (could be in the LotR appendices - I haven't checked);

No Sauron has nothing to do with Bolg's army or him trying to claim Smaug's treasure. The orcs act of their own accord.

• Thorin actually gets a proper god-damn funeral in the book (this will reportedly be included in the BoFA EE - we certainly know that it has been shot from pictures that showed up in some of the design books accompanying the film);

Yes the EE should fix this, one of the major omissions in the theatrical cut.

• the book describes more of Bilbo's return journey, including him digging up some of the troll treasure they found early in the story;

I hope they show Bilbo and Gandalf digging up the treasure as it would explain the two chests he has on his packhorse in the film when he returns to the Shire

• the book also describes the aftermath of the auction Bilbo finds upon his return: he has to spend a lot of time and effort to convince people he isn't dead and ends up having to buy back some of his own furniture;
  • the book ends with Bilbo being visited by Gandalf and Balin a few years after the events that lead to the Battle of Five Armies.

They use some of the dialogue between Bilbo and Gandalf in the farewell scene in the film but as they chose another way to connect with the LotR trilogy they could not film the actual ending of the book anymore I guess. But the tone of those parting words is considerably darker than in the novel.

You must be joking

Not a lot was ommited. Far far less then with LOTR. Only the talking birds spring to mind right now.

I happened to read (most of) the book last week. I didn't read the first four chapters, since I read them after AUJ came out and then got stuck at chapter five, so I picked up from there.

Stuff that is not in the film:

• in the novel, the Five Armies are Men (from Lake-Town), Dwarves (Dain and his forces from the Iron Hills) and Elves (the Elven-King and his host from Mirkwood) vs. Goblins avenging the dead of the Goblin King and Wargs avenging their fallen comrades at the foot of the Misty Mountains;
  • the Goblins are commanded by Bolg, who is the son of Azog, who was killed by Thorin in Moria long before the start of The Hobbit. Azog and Bolg are Goblins, just like the Goblins living in the Misty Mountains;
  • Thorin is buried with the Arkenstone;

Might be a long list, but the stuff left out is of such detail and so small compared to the amount that did make it to the screen, I think it's fair to say that a huge amount of the book was put on film. And the stuff that is there is pretty verbatim.

You are counting changes to the story as "Stuff not adapted from the book". Fail.

Plus, I can't believe that with so much shit the Hobbit gets for being too long and bloated, you actually list that timeframes were compressed. Not to mention that couple of things will definitely be in the EE.

Takes all of that out, and you are left with virtually nothing.

Oh, pardon, the smoke rings are missing ... :rolleyes:

Plus, I can't believe that with so much shit the Hobbit gets for being too long and bloated, you actually list that timeframes were compressed.

Compressing the time frames and adding in action to "keep a sense of urgency" is the major bloat factor in these films.

Plus, I can't believe that with so much shit the Hobbit gets for being too long and bloated, you actually list that timeframes were compressed.

Compressing the time frames and adding in action to "keep a sense of urgency" is the major bloat factor in these films.

Indeed. You don't need very much to add to the sense of passage of time in on-screen minutes. You could do it visually with a few shots and a couple of lines throughout. But they obviously did not feel the film could stand the few weeks of journey from Anduin Vales to the Lonely Mountain.

You people do realise I was just listing a changes and omissions for the sake of having a list of changes, right? It was neither a list of praise nor a list of criticism.

I'd be the last to throw a hissy fit over minor details not being included in the film. If anything, the Hobbit movies didn't cut enough from the source material!

The stone giants should have be linked to the Dol Guldur subplot to make them more relevant.

Did anybody else read the interview with William Shatner where he said the stone giants were his favorite part of the movie?