More Middle-earth films?

Barnald

I know we've speculated about this before, but this part of TORN's SDCC report on their panel is interesting (or scary, depending on how you look at it):

We saved the biggest and most conjecture filled news for last. But first, let’s see if you were paying attention to a certain line of dialogue in The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies. After the battle has wound down and we see how it plays out for the Elves, Legolas has decided that he is going to leave Mirkwood. Thranduil does not try to stop him, but does mention he should look up a Ranger named Strider of the Dunedain. The Appendixes, for which the movie rights still exist, include details of Strider riding off with the likes of Elladan and Elrohir and some other Rangers and winds up traveling to both Rohan and Gondor, among other places far and wide using the name Thorongil. This data, which is known to be available in the Appendixes, coupled with some rather interesting whispers to come out of some reliable realms indicate that there is some great interest in continuing stories set in Middle-earth. Just ask there will be more Potterverse stories based on the Book of Creatures, we may well have an expansion to the Middle-earth Cinematic Universe (known as MeCU, cause any Tolkien fan worth his or her salt knows that the ‘e’ in earth is lower case). So the line spoken by Thranduil about sending Legolas to find this young Dunedain Ranger, and some of the other little lines sprinkled throughout LOTR about Aragorn’s past traveling through Rohan and Gondor may well be in the works. But as always, this is all conjecture and rumor at the moment, until the time comes when it is no longer just secret kept secret and safe.

It was inevitable really. Cinematic universes and reliable blockbuster franchises are all the rage right now, and I can't see Warner just leaving a near billion-dollar-a-film series on the table. Indeed, the moment I read about that Legolas and Thranduil exchange I thought that line just reeked of studios wanting to set-up another film series, because any book reader knows it makes no sense. It doesn't even make sense in film terms, because Legolas evidently arrives at the council as a representative of the Woodland realm. Obviously Warner has a lot of love for Legolas. We know this because he was a big part of the marketing material, and it begins to make sense of his role in films 2 and 3, which seems to have been substantially bumped up with the switch to 3 films and the reshoots. And yes, they'll probably throw Tauriel into the mix, and make it a trilogy. No Hobbits and Dwarves, just sexy tall people (and sexy Orcs of course). And God knows what else. Will Jackson be involved? Who knows. To be honest, I'll allow anything so long as Shore returns. We need to accept that they're probably going to milk the licence for all its worth. And even better now, because MGM would be out of the picture if they don't intend to use any Hobbit material (and why would they?)

We'd prefer The Silmarillion of course, but, even if the rights to that ever became available, it would appear that Warner want to stick to stories within the Hobbit/LOTR timeline, with established characters. Sadly, a film featuring Legolas and Aragorn (and possibly other returning characters) offers so much more potential to studio marketing heads than one named after a book which relatively few will have read, and featuring a pretty much entirely new cast of unfamiliar characters. The same goes for some kind of Second Age film (series?) about the forging of the Rings and Sauron's rise to prominence, culminating in his fall and Isildur's death. These at least offer a wealth of potential and interesting stories (albeit padding would be required), but Warner won't care for that. A War in the North series culminating in the Battle of Dale could also be interesting, but how can you weave a story around that without inventing characters and shoehorning others in? Again, anything they do now will have a great deal of invented elements. Hell, perhaps that's what they were preparing us for with the Hobbit films.

Thoughts?

Bah! Humbug!

Unless they have Legolas movie series where he surfs on a shield through every major event in Middle-earth, shooting the bad guys, thus saving the day, and disappearing from the scene in a split second. Now that is silliness I'd watch.

I am sure WB will soon announce a whole 5 year programme of Middle-earth films like Marvel has done.

2020 Fall: The Adventures of Tom Bombadil.

2021 Spring: Guardians of Rivendell 1: The Gundabad Awakens

2021 Fall: Guardians of Rivendell 2: The Audience Goes to Sleep

2022 Spring: Two Dwarves and the Little Elf Lady: A rambunctious romantic buddy comedy

2022 Fall: The Legolas Saga Part 1: The Shadows of Darkness of Doom

2023 Spring: The Legolas Saga Part 2: The Doom of Darkness of Shadows

2023 Fall: The Legolas Saga Part 3: A New Dawn of Shadows of Darkness of Doom of Darkness

2024 Spring: The Lay of Leithian: The classic love story turned into a modern romantic comedy about a human man who falls in love with an Elf maid in a big city. Can he win her love or does crafty elven minstrel Daeron win her over? Hilarious hijinx ensue!

2024 Fall: The Children of Húrin (Michael Bay version): Gratuitous boob shots of elven women, explosions and Túrin pairing up with Beleg and Mablung in this cop buddy movie to hunt down the father of dragons. Tragedy ensues.

I try and start a discussion and it descends into anarchy and juvenlity within 3 posts - as per the norm round these parts.

In mock-seriousness I am not interested in seeing any more Middle-earth films. I know they might be a lucrative franchise for WB but I hope they do not develop any more stories for movie or for TV series. They would invariably veer into needless invention outside Tolkien's original tales and turn my beloved fantasy world into a Xena Warrior Princess Saturday adventure show.

Also they lack the rights to the bigger stories (luckily) from the First Age but there is an awful lot of history of Arnor and Gondor in the Appendices they could exploit.

I forgive you all. Of course, I didn't expect any of us to welcome the idea (well, except maybe SUH). I just think at this point it will probably happen so we need to brace ourselves for it.

Will we allow the mass plundering of Tolkien's works and legacy for more Shore Middle-earth music? Seems a fair trade off.

If Shore is even willing to compose for any more Middle-earth films. That would probably be the one glimmer of good in any potential M-e movies.

Sorry that I sound pessimistic but The Hobbit movies soured me on the prospect of any more Tolkien related films.

TORN obviously have some decent sources, and it seems a logical idea to kickaround at WB. Whether or not it happens is another matter, but I don't see why (from their perspective) recasting Aragorn is such a problem. If they can cast new Han Solo's and Indiana Jones' they can cast a new Aragorn.

But there's no need to recast Legolas if they started in the next couple of years. He's thousands of years old, so a few years isn't going to matter. It's different with Aragorn. Viggo isn't getting any younger, and yet he's going to have to play a (comparatively) much younger Aragorn. Furthermore, it's important they don't recast everyone as it's necessary to have some establishing links with the previous set of films.

I already have the first 5 year plan lined up for them in my above post. It's going to be a smash!

• 1 month later...